Clear All

• Pee-wee's Big Holiday (2016)

Comment

• The Quick and the Dead (1995)

"You're purty.
      -You're not."
      Space Cop
      The Dandy
      Last edited by Space Cop; 12-19-2017, 09:39 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
        Thanks to you watching this (again), I finally decided to Netflix it. It'll take some convincing to get my dad to sit through a 3.75-hour movie, but I can probably talk him into it.
        Watching the movie motivated me to read Lawrence's book, Seven Pillars of Wisdom. He was a very impressive writer.

Comment

• A Christmas Carol (1999)

"Can you forgive a stupid old man who doesn't want to be left out in the cold anymore?"

Valley of the Dolls (1967)

"Mother, I know I don't have any talent, and I know all I have is a body, and I am doing my bust exercises."

Another anniversary (50th) for this queen of camp. Sad to think that two of the three ladies are gone (one tragically shortly after).
          Space Cop
          The Dandy
          Last edited by Space Cop; 12-19-2017, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• Moana (2016)

"They already do."

Loved it. I think the only gripe I had was that you don't see Moana herself get a tattoo (though I'd wager it would be a turtle, like the one she rescues in the beginning).
            Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Bad Santa 2 (2016)

"Guess the abortion didn't take."

Sylent was right that this movie is very vulgar and often obviously just for the sake of being so. But I still liked bits. Not great.

Son of Godzilla (1967)

"Well, it is a papa, isn't it?"

Watched this last night (12/16) for the fiftieth anniversary (see kaiju thread).

Comment

• Super (2010)

Comment

• Die Hard (1988)

"We're gonna need some more FBI guys, I guess.

Get Santa (2014)

"Are you on medication? Or worse: are you not on medication?"

This was much better than I expected. I was leery because the whole Santa-gets-busted thing was already done in Ernest Saves Christmas and The Santa Clause, but it was different from those and pretty funny (in that British way).
                  Space Cop
                  The Dandy
                  Last edited by Space Cop; 12-20-2017, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• My review of The Last Jedi.

https://dailyuv.com/feed/936356?location=norwich-vt

Comment

• Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (1964)

"They sit in front of the video set all day watching those ridiculous earth programs; it confuses them."

I learned last night that this interesting movie has a unique distinction. It was the first time Santa's wife appeared on screen (beating out Rankin and Bass' Mrs. Claus from Rudolph by less than a month).

Scrooged (1988)

"I never liked a girl well enough to give her twelve sharp knives."

I was debating removing this from the Christmas rotation this year because I'm pretty familiar with it, but I got into it again because it's just funny and engaging.
                      Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 12-20-2017, 08:20 AM.

Comment

• The Book Of Henry (2017)

Comment

• Die Hard 2: Die Harder (1990)

"As far as I'm concerned progress peaked with frozen pizza."

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
                          Watching the movie motivated me to read Lawrence's book, Seven Pillars of Wisdom. He was a very impressive writer.
                          I've heard that. I picked up a copy once for the same reason you did, but I haven't read it yet mainly because I assume it will take some time between the relative length and the number of foreign-to-me names. Still, I was thinking of putting it high on the list in 2018. I was sorry when I learned that Omar Sharif's character was a composite and not (like Guinness') a single real person.

Originally posted by robojac View Post
                          Pee-wee's Big Holiday (2016)
                          I thought that was alright. It had the kind of vibe of the old stuff. And the running gag about root beer barrels was great.

Originally posted by robojac View Post
                          Super (2010)
                          That was an underrated hero flick, imho.

Originally posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post

My review of The Last Jedi.
                          One benefit of having zero interest in these sequels is that the movie isn't interfering with my Christmas watching. Right now I'm in total Christmas watching mode. As it is, I put aside the two Netflix movies I got in the mail. I'm glad I don't feel like have to interrupt my happy elves, killer Santas, and John McClanes with Jedi.
                          Space Cop
                          The Dandy
                          Last edited by Space Cop; 12-20-2017, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• The Shape of Water

In a word: beautiful

The Shape of Water is simply a beautiful film that was more enjoyable that Disney's live action of Beauty and the Beast.

The film does a wonderful job in it's ode to old Hollywood by featuring various clips from the Golden Age, as well as noting the impact on the characters in the film. Moreover, the film is a period piece that depicts a small slice of the 1960s in terms of attitudes and daily life. The Shape of Water does quite a remarkable job in taking the audience back into the 60s and highlight some of aspects of the Cold War and the discrimination that occurred.

I found the story telling and setting as engrossing and captivating as La La Land in that the film presents a fairy tale type of story with flavors of old Hollywood show tunes and feels. Additionally, it enhances the characters' development and moods. The script builds up the characters' emotions and relationships from beginning to end, which creates the audience with little choice but to be invested in them and feel part of the film.

All the main characters and supporting cast give wonderful performances. Michael Shannon is an excellent antagonist, and Octavia Spencer gives another Oscar nomination worthy performance as she carries alot of the scene she's in. Sally Hawkins should definitely receive an Oscar nomination as she's able to convey a wide variety of emotions and compelling drama without saying a word. She commands the screen and creates so much empathy for her character.

There were more graphic sexual instances than I expected, which earns the film's R rating. However, the sexual situations does help with the film's characters and attitudes.

The Shape of Water is two thumbs up!
                            You just witnessed the strength of geek knowledge. N.W.A., Nerd With Attitude. Straight out of Vulcan!

Comment

• The Santa Clause (1994)

"How come your clothes are so baggy?
                              -Because Santa is watching his saturated fats.
                              How come you don't have a beard?
                              -Because I shaved!"

Red Christmas (2016)

"It's Christmas
                              -It's not like it's let-in-a-vagrant day."

Overly political, which might be forgivable (some great horror flicks are very subjective) if it were good. Some so-so kills.
                              Space Cop
                              The Dandy
                              Last edited by Space Cop; 12-23-2017, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• Wind River (2017)

Comment

Working...
                                X