Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cormier View Post
      Well that Nightcrawler series Marvel has been publishing these last few decades must be up to what, #300 or more by now? I forget, I haven't checked in on it in some time.
      Your point being?

Comment

Speaking of the nightcrawler series. It only lasted 12 issues.

Comment

It's possible that Alexandra DeWitt, Kyle Rayner or Terry's boyfriend, regardless
          of whether or not it'll actually be David, would get strangled by Major Force
          and either character would end up getting stuffed in a fridge thereafter.

If Terry's boyfriend was the one killed by M. Force then Gail Simone
          wouldn't had created the term for the Women in Refrigerators trope
          as it is now and it would be coined as something else.

Berg's boyfriend could either be the main example or one of the main examples for the terms
          "Gays in Refrigerators" and "Gay in 'friges" which could happen back in the late 90's or in the 2000's.

Comment

Terry could use his skill as an artist to manipulate his ring
            constructs to be somewhat better than Kyle's.

And from what I've know, Terry has displayed maturity before he got his
            job as an art assistant for Kyle Rayner, so if the lessons Berg'll learn during
            his time as GL would have him to be a more mature young man than he
            was before.

Maybe the Circle of Fire would take place, albeit differently, and Terry's greatest
            foe could've been an incarnation of his doubt, fear, loneliness and/or
            insecurity. Maybe, even his anger too.

Berg could face his inner self head on, and after he defeats it/himself, Ter would
            tender his resignation from the Justice League, but the League members would refuse
            to accept it (at least out of the fact that they would see this as a sign that Berg
            has become more mature and responsible than he ever was before).

Comment

Originally posted by Zemu6 View Post
              What would happen if Terry Berg were created back in 1994 and not only
              replaced Hal Jordan as the Green Lantern (on account of Ganthet giving
              the ring to Terry instead of giving it to Kyle Rayner), but also became
              the star of the third Green Lantern series?

How many GL fans would accept Terry Berg as the latest and only
              Green Lantern remaining in the 90's?

Would GL Berg be respected to the DCU and Green Lantern fanbase
              after he's placed on Grant Morrison's JLA comic run to make him an
              interesting character back then in the 90's?

How would DCU fans feel towards Terry Berg after Hal Jordan returns?

And of course, would the third GL series comic sales rise up, down or
              or somewhere in between once the comic title comes out?

Note: Terry Berg is an eighteen year old homosexual intern in
              this scenario, but he's still an art assistant for Kyle Rayner who
              would just be a supporting character for Berg (among others).

I think it would've depended on how Terry would be written.

Comment

My thing is how would these scenes have been played out if it was Terry instead of Kyle
                would it be with Roy instead of Donna or would it still be Donna and Terry be written as straight.

Green Lantern Unlimited!

Comment

Too young, but would not have done much worse than Kyle, but the gay thing may have pissed off some people, especialy the ones who got pissed off about Alan being gay.
                  Originally posted by IonFan
                  (even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
                  Originally posted by Big Daddy Caesar
                  If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
                  Originally posted by Quaker
                  I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.

Comment

And what is the point of this thread? You might just as well argue what would have happened if Abin Sur's ring had gone to Carol Ferris instead. In 1960 women simply weren't that liberated yet. They couldn't be test pilots or astronauts or, heaven forbid, the ACTUAL heads of aircraft companies (she was just "managing" things while Daddy Ferris was abroad). Hell, women couldn't even serve in the active duty military! When the super-heroes cleaned the JLA headquarters, Wonder Woman baked the cakes and wore a frilly apron and all the "boys" meekly deferred to her as the one in charge. Gak, how sexist in retrospect, right?

The real argument is about homophobia, heterophobia, and whether or not G/L/TG persons constitute a suspect class. Society is in flux on the issue. Comics will never prove nor disprove the social issues, just as GL #76 did not stop racism nor GL #85/86 cure the drug problem in this country. Some awards may be racked up by the comics writers, illustrators, and creative managers. So what?

Comics are judged, in the long run, by three criteria. Do they tell a compelling story with pretty good art? Are they believable within their own context? And last, and most important, do they sell?

Clearly, we're looking at #3 to the exclusion of all else at DC these days.

The power of will is found at the deepest level of your being. It's more than mere rules. It's a duty that you must honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Evergreen City View Post
                      ...just as GL #76 did not stop racism nor GL #85/86 cure the drug problem in this country...
                      Are you telling me people still do heroin, even after what it did to Roy Harper?
                      Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 09-15-2012, 06:02 PM.

Comment

I don't think it would've been successful, I don't think the 90's could have handled a Gay character back then. I mean back in the early 90's how many gay characters did we have?

Also don't get me started on Obsidian being gay, that absolutely makes no fucking sense whatsoever.
                        No Sir, I punched the viceroy in the stomach, then I headbutted him in the face. Sir.-Hal Jordan

Villain Draft (Best Team Winner)/Proud Supporter of the DCnU

Comment

Working...
                        X