The Kaiju thread (Godzilla and friends)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff View Post
    It was my understanding Toho was already planning a sequel to Shin because of its success. Is that not the case anymore?
    I have not heard that. In fact, I wonder if they would even when the option is up. The obvious move would be for Shin to thaw out, but dir. Higuchi made it clear that Toho wouldn't allow fifth form Shin (where he splits out into humanoid forms) because it's too radical a departure from Godzilla's standard form.

Space Cop
    The Dandy
    Last edited by Space Cop; 07-02-2019, 04:09 AM.

Comment

• I'm not sure I'd want a Shin sequel that had an active Godzilla in it. He's been handled well enough in the first, so have the sequel examine how everyone reacts to another kaiju appearing. That's what I'd rather have in the scenario a Shin sequel even happens, preferably I'd avoid doing one and just have Shin as a unique standalone.
      Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• ^I agree. Shin's a better standalone; rather like GMK.
        Space Cop
        The Dandy
        Last edited by Space Cop; 06-11-2020, 04:00 AM.

Comment

• Criterion Announces Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954–1975 Blu-ray Set

Comment

• I meant to post this before, but just read it myself. This is ScifiJapan's fan critical consensus on Godzilla: King of the Monsters.

Comment

• Tom Holkenborg (Junkie XL) Scoring Adam Wingard’s ‘Godzilla vs. Kong’

Tom Holkenborg (aka Junkie XL) (Mad Max: Fury Road, Deadpool, Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, Alita: Battle Angel, Terminator: Dark Fate) has recently been scoring the upcoming monster movie Godzilla vs. Kong. The film is directed by Adam Wingard (The Guest, You’re Next) and stars Alexander Skarsgard, Millie Bobby Brown, Rebecca Hall, Eiza González, Julian Dennison, Shun Oguri, Jessica Henwick and Brian Tyree Henry. The Legendary Pictures production pits the two famous monsters against each other in an epic battle. Eric Pearson (Thor: Ragnarok) and Max Borenstein (The Terror) wrote the screenplay. Mary Parent (The Revenant, Pacific Rim), Alex Garcia, Eric McLeod (Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Austin Powers series) and Brian Rogers are producing the project. The previous movies in Legendary’s MonsterVerse were scored by Alexandre Desplat (Godzilla), Henry Jackman (Kong: Skull Island) and Bear McCreary (Godzilla: King of the Monsters). Godzilla vs. Kong is currently scheduled to be released in theaters nationwide on November 20, 2020 by Warner Bros. Pictures.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2020/06...zilla-vs-kong/

This is disappointing. I was hoping Bear McCreary would score this after doing an awesome job with G:KOTM. I haven't liked any score Tom Holkenborg has done for a movie I've seen so far. His BvS: DOJ score was noise in my opinion and I'm glad Danny Elfman replaced him in the theatrical cut of JL. I'm still looking forward to seeing Godzilla Vs. Kong though.

Comment

• Godzilla vs. Kong sets pandemic box office record

And including internationally:
                300 Million worldwide in 12 Days

Comment

• I saw Godzilla vs Kong on opening day in the theater. I have HBOMax but really felt I had to see this on the big screen. What a fun time it was! Nice fun popcorn movie. As a team Kong guy I was pleasantly surprised with how much screen time he got.

Comment

• ^It's definitely a Kong movie with Godzilla and that's smart because Kong is closer to human and therefore more relatable.

As a Godzilla guy I wasn't disappointed, but then again I don't consider any of the American, CGI stuff "real" Godzilla.

Comment

• Yeah Kong was the clear babyface in this one, which I think was smart even if I wasnt biased.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                        Yeah Kong was the clear babyface in this one, which I think was smart even if I wasnt biased.
                        Well, even as a G-fan, I have to admit he's easier to see as the heel.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                          I wasn't disappointed, but then again I don't consider any of the American, CGI stuff "real" Godzilla.

HAI!

Wanted to drop in see how yall are doing. I've been lost in 70s/80s big robot anime for the last year. Still playing the Earth Wars game, but #1 focus has been anime. So yeah. I'm still alive. And I know how to say "what, Grandpa?" In Japanese now!

Comment

• ^Important stuff.

I can say the phone version of hello; yes; thank you; master; and order some sushi.

Comment

• Glad to see ya Jeff!

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                                Glad to see ya Jeff!

Big Daddy! Good to see you, too, man. Sorry it took so long for me to respond.

I cobbled some notes and ideas together from the Zilla clan fanclub I belong to on the LINE app and came up with my top 10 thoughts regarding GVK:

1. This was more of a sequel to Skull Island and Godzilla's presence felt...ambiguous.
                                2. If Apex Cybernetics was able to cobble together another Orca device, then where were all the other titans? Logically, they should have gone after MechaG as well.
                                3. Millie Bobby Brown and the guy that played her dad felt like they were just doing cameo appearances and weren't really invested in the film.
                                4. How could the biggest grudge match ever have taken place somewhere other than Japan? Come on, Toho, you should have spoken up.
                                5. We clearly didn't see enough from Godzilla's perspective, the movie was like 85% Kong and 15% everyone else.
                                6. The cinematography as always is beautiful, at least they stayed on par with KOTM in that sense.
                                7. I fully understand that pretty much no ONE character is contracted for more than one movie, but for continuity's sake, how did the Kong crew transition from Conrad & Weaver to Hall & Jia? A little explanation could have gone a long way for fans.

8. Even though KOTM was sporadic and had its own failings, it still seems superior in grandeur and human relations. GvK was like hacking your way through the Amazon jungle; KOTM was like being in the jungle and looking at the beautiful flowers everywhere.
                                9. We certainly didn't see enough "wildlife" in Center Earth, but the fight scene with the Snakebat was cool in the fact it took a human to help Kong out of that mess.
                                10. As much as I gripe, I did in fact love GvK. I think any devoted fan would. It was my "must see" movie of 2020 and 2021. The Snyder cut comes in second.

Lastly, we absolutely must #continuethemonsterverse.

Comment

Working...
                                X