No announcement yet.

the Science & Tech thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just can't fathom not having a phone...

She blinded me with SCIENCE!

Comment

• Yo.

I have a fone; its @home on its cradle.

who in their right mind would want to have TWO if ya didnt need it? (and I have an answering service, so Im golden on that end.................)

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
      Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

• I like my electronic leash

She blinded me with SCIENCE!

Comment

• At&t is buying T-Mobile.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/20/a...tsche-telekom/

2 carriers I'd never use are now 1.

Comment

• AT&T Buying T-Mobile

AT&T to buy T-Mobile USA, creating U.S. wireless giant

March 20, 2011 | 1:58 pm
            AT&T Inc. announced Sunday it would buy T-Mobile USA in a cash and stock deal worth $39 billion, a move that would combine two of the largest U.S. wireless providers and build a telecommunications behemoth that would tower over Verizon Wireless, the other leading cellular network.

The merger would combine AT&T's 95.5 million wireless subscribers with another 33.7 million from T-Mobile, a division of the German communications conglomerate Deutsche Telekom. With close to 130 million subscribers on a wireless system that would combine the vast national networks of both companies, the resulting union would far outstrip Verizon and its 94.1 million customers.

AT&T suggested that increased competition resulting from the deal could benefit consumers but did not explicitly say the plan would mean lower prices for its customers.

“This transaction represents a major commitment to strengthen and expand critical infrastructure for our nation’s future,” AT&T Chief Executive Randall Stephenson said in a statement.

AT&T highlighted the efficiency savings it would garner from a merger, given that both companies use similar cellular technology -- as opposed to a different model used by Verizon -- and both are planning to take similar steps toward the next generation of faster 4G networks.

Part of AT&T's gambit has to do with the steep rise in the use of data services by consumers with sophisticated smart phones. With many more users adopting video-ready, Internet-connected phones such as Apple's iPhone and the many Google-powered Android devices, demand for wireless bandwidth among consumers is quickly increasing, and the industry has been struggling to stay ahead of that demand.

AT&T said data traffic on its wireless network had grown 8,000% over the last four years.

"Because AT&T has led the U.S. in smart phones, tablets and e-readers -- and as a result, mobile broadband -- it requires additional spectrum before new spectrum will become available."

Critics quickly warned about the perils of conglomeration, saying federal regulators should scrutinize the deal carefully lest it actually lead to less market flexibility.

"Don’t believe the hype: There is nothing about having less competition that will benefit wireless consumers," said S. Derek Turner, research director at media industry watchdog Free Press, in a statement.

“A market this concentrated -- where the top four companies already control 90% of the business, and two of them want to merge -- means nothing but higher prices and fewer choices, as the newly engorged AT&T and Verizon exert even more control over the wireless Internet."

-- David Sarno
            Well there goes the neighborhood, don't have either but I don't this is good cause now I see Verizon buying Sprint which will suck for sure.

Comment

• yeah sprint does suck but it's self already

Comment

• Verizon wont be buying sprint. AT&T was the number 3 and they bought the number 4, verizon and sprint are 1 and 2 with lots of coporate backing and infrastructure.

Plus this whole deal has to get by government regulators because right now it looks like they are forming a monopoly and I think its the antitrust laws that prevent that in some form.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robinson View Post
                  Verizon wont be buying sprint. AT&T was the number 3 and they bought the number 4, verizon and sprint are 1 and 2 with lots of coporate backing and infrastructure.

Plus this whole deal has to get by government regulators because right now it looks like they are forming a monopoly and I think its the antitrust laws that prevent that in some form.
                  AT&T is the #1 and bought the #4.
                  Verizon is #2.
                  Sprint is #3.

Also, merged.
                  [center]

Originally posted by W.West
                  DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!

Comment

• At&T is now number one, they werent previously.

Comment

• i always thought verizon was number one, at least here where i live it seeems that way we have multiple big stand alone stores for verizon while at&t tmobile, and sprint were usually fund in malls or other stores or small plaza's

Comment

• Until the merger is completed Verizon is the number 1 carrier with over 102 million customers and currently AT&T is at about 95.5 million.

A quote i saw from a different article on this i read.

"At&T had 39 billion laying around and they didnt spend it on cell towers"

Comment

• Havik I have Sprint and like them. Verizon and AT&T are too restrictive with alot of things.

Comment

• All carriers restrict things in some way, whether its os's or features.

Comment

• yeah sprint here rips people off chargers like 4 differentss taxes on every bill, they were charging my mom for taxes in 3 different counties and when she called to ask why they couldn't tell her.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robinson View Post
                                At&T is now number one, they werent previously.
                                AT&T and Verizon were 1 and 2
                                Originally posted by havik View Post
                                i always thought verizon was number one, at least here where i live it seeems that way we have multiple big stand alone stores for verizon while at&t tmobile, and sprint were usually fund in malls or other stores or small plaza's
                                that means nothing

Originally posted by Robinson View Post
                                Until the merger is completed Verizon is the number 1 carrier with over 102 million customers and currently AT&T is at about 95.5 million.

A quote i saw from a different article on this i read.

"At&T had 39 billion laying around and they didnt spend it on cell towers"
                                Someone Tweeted that and I retweeted it. Technically though, they DID spend it on cell towers. They bought T-Mobile's cell towers.

AT&T was previously number 1; it's possible that Verizon took that slot recently
                                [center]

Originally posted by W.West
                                DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X