The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 01-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #1176
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
You are dead to me.
Me too. Ban him.
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:09 PM   #1177
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Shit! There is a TON of dust on this banhammer!
Old 01-22-2019, 11:29 PM   #1178
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

DC Comics APRIL 2019 Solicitations
Old 01-23-2019, 08:59 PM   #1179
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

No concrete news yet but Bleeding Cool says a management restructure at DC is in the works.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:24 AM   #1180
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
No concrete news yet but Bleeding Cool says a management restructure at DC is in the works.
THR: DC Laying Off 3 Percent of Its Workforce
Quote:
DC is laying off staff as part of an organization restructure of the Warner Bros. division that will see it focus on its original core business of publishing, The Hollywood Reporter has confirmed. It is believed that seven employees, around three percent of DC's 240-person workforce, have been impacted.

Layoffs at DC, a subsidiary of Warner Bros., include high-level figures including senior vp sales trade marketing John Cunningham, vp consumer marketing Eddie Scannell and senior vp art director Mark Chiarello among those who have left the company, according to sources familiar with the matter.

Rumors about changes at the company, home to the DC, Vertigo and MAD brands, have been circulating since Wednesday afternoon, helped by early, unsubstantiated reports that speculated that DC publishers Dan DiDio and Jim Lee could be among those leaving the company; that is not the case, with both actively continuing in their current positions.
The company has been organized into three distinct areas as of Wednesday's news: Editorial, which will continue to be overseen by editor-in-chief Bob Harras; Production & Manufacturing, which remains under the purview of senior vp manufacturing and operations Alison Gill; and the newly created Publishing Support Services, which will handle sales, marketing and promotion for DC product and be handled by longtime DC veteran Hank Kanalz as senior vp publishing strategy & support services.

DC Collectibles, the merchandising arm of the company, will be moved under Warner Bros. Consumer Products' Toy team.

This move comes on the same day as a reorganization of Warner Bros. Consumer Products, in which 10 percent of staff will be laid off, sources say. Pam Lifford heads both divisions under her role as president, Warner Bros. Global Brands and Experiences.

DC moved its publishing operations from New York to Burbank in 2015. The past year has included big behind-the-scenes moves, including Diane Nelson stepping down in June as president of DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Consumer Products after 22 years with the company. A week later, Geoff Johns exited as DC president and chief creative officer for a writing a producing deal at DC and Warner Bros. In September, DC launched its streaming service, DC Universe, which features original series, comics and film content from the Warner Bros. library.

A DC representative declined to comment.

The news was announced to DC employees via memo Wednesday afternoon. The memo, written by Lifford, is below.

Today has been a challenging day. We have made organizational changes across DC that we believe will help to strengthen and evolve the division for future success. With these changes come difficult decisions which we take very seriously.

We recognize and appreciate that all of our employees have made considerable contributions to our business and that it is difficult to lose colleagues, many of whom have been here for a long time and have made an important impact on DC. We thank them for their hard work and dedication to DC. As always, we are committed to taking care of our employees and will be as thoughtful as possible with those who are impacted by these changes.

Together with Dan and Jim, and the executive team, we have spent time assessing DC’s business, as well as the comic book publishing landscape. DC is going back to its roots of delivering epic stories with our world-class characters, stories and brands. Being a premier house of storytelling will never go out of style and we intend to ultimately super-serve our existing fans, while providing new compelling content that engages and excites even more fans around the globe. Rest assured, the direct market will remain at the heart of our business – and will continue to be one of our greatest strengths.

The new streamlined structure is focused on creating, delivering and supporting a robust publishing operation that will allow DC to be nimble, navigate an industry in change, and thrive. As we communicated today, we are forming three distinct work streams – Editorial, Production & Manufacturing and Publishing Support Services.

• Editorial will continue to be run by Bob Harras, SVP & Editor-In-Chief, who will now also be responsible for new initiatives and global publishing, editorial scheduling, and art direction

• Production & Manufacturing will continue to be run by Alison Gill, SVP Manufacturing & Operations

• Publishing Support Services is a new business unit consisting of all departments that support the sales, marketing and promotion of our books, and this will be run by Hank Kanalz who is taking on additional responsibilities as SVP Publishing Strategy & Support Services As a result – DC Collectibles and its team will be part of the Consumer Products Toy team moving forward.

We recognize there are other groups across DC who are not fully dedicated to supporting the publishing business and, therefore, are not directly addressed in today’s news. As The Global Brands & Experiences structure continues to develop, I look forward to sharing more with you as that evolves.

Many of you will have questions and in the coming days you will receive more information from Bob, Alison and Hank about their teams. Together with Dan and Jim, I will be hosting Town Hall meetings Thursday on the individual floors to discuss these changes and provide more insight.

Thank you again for your support, hard work and loyalty to DC. Each of you are incredibly valued and I look forward to seeing you tomorrow afternoon where I will do my best to answer any questions.

Pam
Old 01-24-2019, 03:55 AM   #1181
Space Cop
The Dandy

That sounds like a pretty-big shakeup, but using the term "3%" when seven employees is meant (and essentially feeling their positions aren't crucial) seems misleading. It's a smallish company, but it's not like this means they're next to folding.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:51 AM   #1182
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

I think Dan, Jim and Bob will be with DC for the next 50 years.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 10:41 AM   #1183
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
I think Dan, Jim and Bob will be with DC for the next 50 years.
I read that differently. Bob Harras has a lot more on his plate now. I'll give him three years before we see whether he can handle that or if they go in another direction. I expected him to be the fall guy in all this when the first report came out.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:11 AM   #1184
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

I think losing Chiarello is going to hurt them for a few reasons:
  • He's well respected and even beloved in the industry. I think every single creator I follow on social media was talking about how great he is today. Even the ones that work at Marvel were chiming in, so I can't imagine this is great for morale.
  • It's a legit loss of talent, here's some of the outside of the box stuff he was involved with at DC: Batman Black & White, Solo, New Frontier and Wednesday Comics.
  • From my uninformed perspective it kind of feels like editorial has been trending more towards people with writing backgrounds, so losing an important voice from the art side of things isn't good.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:18 AM   #1185
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I can understand Diane Nelson leaving and Geoff Johns having his wings clipped, because of a string of film disappointments. But what brought on these latest moves?
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 12:35 AM   #1186
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Presumably just them trying to reduce costs as the other division Lifford heads also went through layoffs.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:16 PM   #1187
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

First quarter layoffs aren't anything new in big business. New year, trim the budget, maximize profits. Who's to say they can't bring in an Andy Kubert to oversee art centric projects? I wouldn't panic over his loss.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:56 PM   #1188
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

"Rest assured, the direct market will remain at the heart of our business – and will continue to be one of our greatest strengths."

I think that translated this means, "Selling our comics through comics shops to an aging market just isn't cutting it any more, and digital has never really taken off. So we're looking to find new outlets like the ones we've established at Walmart."
Old 01-29-2019, 12:35 AM   #1189
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Quote:
Bleeding Cool: More Layoffs at DC Comics Coming Soon
Old 02-02-2019, 12:43 AM   #1190
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Those 100 Page Giant books at Wal-Mart got me thinking.... that's basically putting out 5 comics at 20 pages each for a dollar....

They should totally just make comics cheaper and do more big business sales with grocery store chains, gas station chains, and retail outlets selling comics again regularly. Do something similar to the 100 page Giants and make it partially new stuff while reprinting some other material. I wouldn't have two vastly different eras of something in print at the same time though, like with the Titans book. Rather than showcasing different eras of the team make new material with back-ups featuring reprints of the solo Titans titles like Cyborg, Beast Boy, Robin, Starfire, Raven, and Nightwing.

Bi-Weekly at $1.50 per issue, make it like 10 pages of new material with two 5 page back-ups... I'd buy that Titans book hands down. They're still making the $3 a month for 20 pages of new material but they're also basically advertising stories of the past a new fan may want to go out and find the whole collection of in trades, individual issues, etc at the various comic shops that still have that sort of thing. In my mind it makes the most sense to do it with characters associated to an established team or brand. New GL comics with back-ups of GLC and one of the spin-offs like Ion, Emerald Warriors, any story featuring John Stewart, etc. New Superman comics with back-ups of Superboy, Supergirl, or even classic retro shit like Lois Lane or Jimmy Olsen [I loved Superman:Metropolis that featured Jimmy]. New Batman comics with Robin, Nightwing, Batgirl, Birds of Prey, Azreal, Outsiders, etc. as back-ups. And if anything really struck fans like Birds of Prey, they could get their own new comic with back-ups featuring anything that featured Black Canary, Huntress, Batgirl, etc.

EDIT: To keep the idea rolling you could have Action Comics with 10 pages of new Superman material and two back-ups featuring the various DCU characters like Firestorm, Captain Atom, Blue Beetle, etc. Detective Comics could have 10 pages of new Batman material with darker back-up tales featuring stuff like Simon Dark, Ragman, the Spectre [basically anything tied to Gotham or detectives, you could also feature... MARTIAN MANHUNTER!]. Then if stuff like trades of Blue Beetle started flying off shelves you could have a new Blue Beetle comic with back-ups featuring the Ted Kord BB and the different Booster Gold stories! Letters pages or active social networking somewhere with whomever addressed the letters pages in comic's past tied to the production of the titles might be something to look into again as well.

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 02-02-2019 at 01:18 AM.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 07:23 AM   #1191
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

They can only sell these books so cheap because 80 out of those 100 pages have already paid themselves off. That's old stuff that went through various print runs. The only thing it costs today is more paper and ink.

You cannot use that as a basis for "20 brandnew pages should cost one dollar".
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:46 PM   #1192
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Also with these being exclusive I'm sure DC is getting paid extra by Walmart.
Old 02-02-2019, 04:07 PM   #1193
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
They can only sell these books so cheap because 80 out of those 100 pages have already paid themselves off. That's old stuff that went through various print runs. The only thing it costs today is more paper and ink.

You cannot use that as a basis for "20 brandnew pages should cost one dollar".
I'm not? As recently as the last decade DC was 'Drawing the line at $2.99'. Which is what a bi-weekly series with 10 new pages of content per issue would be doing. And like you stated, the other half of the issues have already paid themselves off, making the $3 monthly for 20 pages of new content for the publisher. However the back-up features and watching the trade and back issue market afterwards would be a key factor in seeing what sells. It's better than printing 6 pages of Batman Noel as a preview in half your titles as well as another two pages of DC Nation stuff nobody's probably reading half the time.

I see it as a more inventive and profitable form of the old Marvel Comics Presents where there was always 3-5 stories going on in each issue. It's just here every bit of content wouldn't be brand new and the page count per story wouldn't vary as much unless DC went with like a double feature type title with two stories per issue with 10 pages of content each story and charged a bit more.

Quote:
I think about it like a connected universe for the retail chains. You know how in the States we have like Pepsi Co. that also owns Doritos/Lays and how they put product out in every grocery store and gas station as well as specific fast food chains like KFC, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut?

Like that just with a brand or maybe imprint of DC comics. Imagine all of the add space coming up during the Super Bowl. A lot of Marvel movies right? But you know as well as I do the top brands like Pepsi, Doritos, and some fast food chains are going to be high on the list as well. Now imagine one of those adds legit being used for DC Comics and the launch of such a product and not just a movie or Pepsi commercial. People would take notice and it's not like WB doesn't throw enough money away.

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 02-02-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:03 PM   #1194
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I don't think Walmart is paying DC anything. I think DC is paying Walmart for that rack space, just like the tabloids located at the registers are paying Walmart for the spaces where they're sold. And just like DC and Marvel pay for the slots where they're sold in the comics shops.

And I'm pretty sure Walmart agreed to the deal only because the publications DC is selling there are exclusive to Walmart.

It just ain't that easy to sell comics, which are grossly overpriced at four dollars a pop in the comics shops. If you put them out anywhere else at that price, nobody would buy them and the merchants would refuse to stock them.

As I've said here before, print comics are in the stage of their life cycle where the people in charge are managing their decline. Every industry eventually reaches that stage. Print comics are not a growth industry. They'll never get back to where they used to be.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 02-02-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:10 PM   #1195
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Confession: part of me is hoping to see the last days of print comics. I like to think I will outlive this hobby.

The thought that comics will just end, and my various collections will be complete without me trying to keep up and maintain them warms me at night.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:16 PM   #1196
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Confession: part of me is hoping to see the last days of print comics. I like to think I will outlive this hobby.

The thought that comics will just end, and my various collections will be complete without me trying to keep up and maintain them warms me at night.
I've come to the conclusion that without the speculators, DC and Marvel would have gotten out of the business of print comics a long time ago. There just aren't enough actual comics readers left to make that business worthwhile for them.

But the speculators are very persistent, because the vitality of the aftermarket. I think they might keep print comics going for a long time yet.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:51 PM   #1197
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

It's so odd that we live in a world where comic book movies make up to billions of dollars each at the box office, yet the actual comics they sprang from are lucky if they move 30,000 copies a month. People just don't have the interest or attention span for reading anymore. Especially on paper.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:21 PM   #1198
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
It's so odd that we live in a world where comic book movies make up to billions of dollars each at the box office, yet the actual comics they sprang from are lucky if they move 30,000 copies a month. People just don't have the interest or attention span for reading anymore. Especially on paper.
There's also the very large problem that you have to make a special trip to a comics shop and pay four dollars for an issue that's likely to be so padded out with pretentious oversized panels that nothing much happens that month.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 02-03-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #1199
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Yet when you go to a message board and say that the comics companies should offer readers more value for their dollars by printing floppies on newsprint (and saving the fancy paper for the trades), and by going to a six-panel grid to make sure that something actually happens in each issue, they act like that's the stupidest shit they've ever heard.

Because of course it's all about them, and not about bringing in new customers who think comics are overpriced.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:53 PM   #1200
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
There's also the very large problem that you have to make a special trip to a comics shop and pay four dollars for an issue that's likely to be so padded out with pretentious oversized panels that nothing much happens that month.
This is the main reason why I think DC needs to look beyond just putting out product at a place like Wal-Mart super cheap style and expand to several other retail chains. When I was a kid comics could be found still at gas stations, grocery stores, etc. That's a big part of why comics sold so well in the 90's. They were literally everywhere. And it's not like the whole business would be taken from the comic shops. People would still go there for trades, individual back issues, other collectibles, trading cards, etc. Comics alone have never been the only thing that kept comic shops in business.