The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 04-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #51
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
^Yeah, I think TPTB in comics like the idea of Muslims as a minority (in America), but not so much people who are actually religious.
Simon is the only character who whose religion you know about. That alone made it a stupid idea.

Comics readers are overwhelmingly white and male, and they're getting alarmingly old. I get it that DC and Marvel wanted to try to expand their readership.

But no matter what the companies do, there just aren't very many people out there who will join the ranks of the white, male and aging readers who are willing to go to comics shops and spend four dollars a pop on funny books with lots of big purty pitchers but that almost nothing happens in plot-wise.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:49 PM   #52
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

It's like dying industries resent old white dudes and don't want to cater to them anymore, but are finding out that some of those same industries aren't going to survive without them when that customer bases ages out. Print is dying. SJWs don't have two nickels to rub together, and even if they did, will NEVER put in the time and money to support the hobby that old white dudes did for generations.

The end of printed comics is coming, and we are all going to live to see it.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:59 PM   #53
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
It's like dying industries resent old white dudes and don't want to cater to them anymore, but are finding out that some of those same industries aren't going to survive without them when that customer bases ages out...
It's funny too that in the DC Youtube channel and other comic reporting white males are in the minority or at most half of them.

Old 04-19-2019, 04:13 PM   #54
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

A myth that keeps getting repeated on the message boards is that at least half the comics buyers are female. But that's just nonsense. Women who have husbands and boyfriends who are readers might pick up a comic that the guy has bought and thumb through it. But women don't buy half the comics that are sold. Hell no!

I thought DC's trying to sell comics at Walmart was a great idea, because that had the potential to expand the market into new demographics. But apparently it didn't work out.

Re white males: For months the news media were hooting at and dismissing any straight white male who was seeking the Democratic presidential nomination. They were acting like the party would never nominate a straight white male in 2020, unless maybe it was Beto. But looky here. Biden and Sanders are FAR ahead of the field.

Not that that's necessarily a good thing.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #55
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
A myth that keeps getting repeated on the message boards is that at least half the comics buyers are female. But that's just nonsense. Women who have husbands and boyfriends who are readers might pick up a comic that the guy has bought and thumb through it. But women don't buy half the comics that are sold. Hell no!...
I have to agree. I hear the same statistics, but I can say that I go for comics every Wednesday I recognize maybe maybe 20 regular customers in the first hour my LCS opens and 2 or 3 of them are female. And the same seems to hold when I go other times. I can say for sure I know some are fans by the way they talk. One's a senior that gets all the Archie, cartoon, and Buffy-related stuff. Sometimes I see girlfriends/wives coming with varying degrees of interest (or sometimes they're checking out the manga or gaming cards).