The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation

Old 12-12-2020, 12:00 AM   #151
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
"Too problematic."
DC would love to be rid of the fans of Hal and Kyle. They have visions of sugarplums dancing in their heads, along with visions of Latinas, Muslims, gays and African-Americans eagerly dancing into the comics shops to replace all those people.

This is called the marketing to unicorns approach.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-12-2020 at 12:04 AM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 03:15 PM   #152
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
And I wouldn't be surprised if DC is putting both Hal and Kyle out to pasture, because the last thing they want is a rerun of that quarterback controversy. Besides, Hal and Kyle are both straight white males.
Kyle is still biracial. Omega Men confirmed it. DC is also employing his co-creator right now, so don't expect him to be buried. And Hal? Never. Not for very long.
Old 12-12-2020, 04:41 PM   #153
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
DC would love to be rid of the fans of Hal and Kyle. They have visions of sugarplums dancing in their heads, along with visions of Latinas, Muslims, gays and African-Americans eagerly dancing into the comics shops to replace all those people.

This is called the marketing to unicorns approach.
The new guy taking over geoff thorne posted on twitter he literally hates hal and wants john stewart to be the focus. Granted i like john stewart but why have a writer who hates the best green lantern writing green lantern? The channel critical thinking has a theory dc may phase out the heros we love like hal Bruce wayne ect and replace them for the new generation. Did you see the tokenised batman? I wont lie looks decent but calling it now itll be race politics . Also real question im being serious how popular is batwing compared to terry mcguiness? I really dont see anyone clamoring for a batwing series movie or show.

I'm not homophobic you are hetrophobic so thank you fuck you bye

Last edited by TazzMission; 12-12-2020 at 05:00 PM.
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:48 PM   #154
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Kyle is biracial so he's safe. Yeah. How fucked up is that?

And it's not, "You need to watch this show because we'll be telling stories you won't want to miss." No, it's, "You need to watch this show because it has a gay character."

Yeah. That won't even get gay people to watch it, let alone anyone else.

Just call an exterminator to fumigate this show and this title please, and reboot the title.

Anyway they're not going to get rid of Hal and keep Kyle, because they tried that once and it didn't send well. If Hal goes, Kyle is going too. And it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they dumped both of them.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-12-2020 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:49 PM   #155
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:

And it's not, "You need to watch this show because we'll be telling stories you won't want to miss." No, it's, "You need to watch this show because it has a gay character."

Yeah. That won't even get gay people to watch it, let alone anyone else.

Just call an exterminator to fumigate this show and this title please, and reboot the title.

We've gotten two completely different vibes from the small amount of marketing so far. We'll see each titular character's backstory, but the main draw is that they're part of a cosmic peacekeeping force like the Jedi. The name of the game is space soldiers with a weapon that allows them to fight with their imaginations. I don't see why you would think this won't be delivered.
Old 12-13-2020, 02:23 PM   #156
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Well Jessica Cruz is in it, so i's going to RULE!! OK?

I bet nobody will go to the mat for Hal this time. What's the point, when DC still to this day has no clue about how to use him?
Old 12-13-2020, 09:17 PM   #157
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
Kyle is still biracial. Omega Men confirmed it. DC is also employing his co-creator right now, so don't expect him to be buried. And Hal? Never. Not for very long.
Omega Men as well as every limited series written by Tom King isn't considered cannon save for maybe Heroes in Crisis. We've had no mention of Kyle's time as the Omega Lantern, nor does he have any scar on his throat from being 'killed' on live broadcasts in space. The only other time he's even spoken Spanish was the one panel he appeared in during HiC. Not to mention the Omega Men in that series was the only time they were ever presented in that way.

They could literally end the nonsense with one line of dialog. Kyle grew up without his father and learned his dad was Mexican when he was an adult and in his 20's during his first Ion phase. I could learn tomorrow my dad's part German, doesn't mean I'm gonna start eating schweinshaxe and speaking their language in the coming months.

"Awhile back I learned my father was Mexican. I made an effort to connect with the man, even learned a little Spanish without the help of my ring... but it was all for nothing."
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:56 AM   #158
Space Cop
The Dandy

I really think Omega Men is supposed to be canonical, just nobody cared.
Old 12-14-2020, 03:16 AM   #159
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

None of the characters' looks match other comics at the time, and King's crazy twist ending and making every planet exploding tied to Krypton's destruction and one day possibly Earth's.... was completely forgotten as well. Kyle dealing with the US military is weird every single time. It never gets any easier to read. Kyle being a big gun in the GLC as the White Lantern and getting taken out of active duty for the 300 day war... It just doesn't make sense.

Also, if it was tied to the New52 universe as the Kyle/Carol relationship would suggest... that's it's own separate universe now.

During the tail end of the New52 we got the DCYou versions of characters and two failed attempts at making a GL the lead in a Guardians of the Galaxy type reboot. Hal as the renegade Lantern had it's good bits, and Kyle as the Omega Lantern was also interesting towards the end of that series. However the supporting cast wasn't strong enough in either attempt and the lack of the GLC proper [they were stuck in another universe] made things even more convoluted. Now it looks like DC's next attempt at this will be ringless Lanterns in Future State with long haired John Stewart, a more ferocious G'Nort, and Guy making a bar on some random ass alien planet.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:39 AM   #160
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ωmega Man View Post
Omega Men as well as every limited series written by Tom King isn't considered cannon save for maybe Heroes in Crisis. We've had no mention of Kyle's time as the Omega Lantern, nor does he have any scar on his throat from being 'killed' on live broadcasts in space. The only other time he's even spoken Spanish was the one panel he appeared in during HiC. Not to mention the Omega Men in that series was the only time they were ever presented in that way.

."
DC confirmed him as a Hispanic character on DC Universe in 2019. They published an article on their Hispanic characters, and both he and Jess were included.
Old 12-14-2020, 04:44 AM   #161
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:

I bet nobody will go to the mat for Hal this time. What's the point, when DC still to this day has no clue about how to use him?
I hope her origin is kept intact, because that would be memorable. But make no mistake, fans aren't going to stick around just for good origin stories. This show needs to worldbuild, and they can't ever lose sight of that. The GLC works best when they're in their element. That's what will keep people coming back each week.
Old 12-14-2020, 08:43 PM   #162
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
She can be the cardi b version of a green lantern who drugs male customers at stripclubs and do a song about her wap.

Old 12-15-2020, 01:26 AM   #163
jhpace1
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
Ok. This gives me hope that they'll do him justice. I wonder who his wife will be. In comics he's only been with Kari Limbo [even engaged to her before his coma], Ice and even for awhile Fire.
I hope it's Ice. Scandinavian blonde who turns the tables on the bad guys trying to scare/kill her because of Guy? Can you say "popsicle" when they burst into Guy's and Ice's house?

It's too good a scene to actually expect it to work on HBO.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 06:13 PM   #164
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

It's a fundamental that spouses and children are to be excluded from police-style dramas that have several regular characters. They create too many complications, and they eliminate the attractions that can occur between regulars and guest stars.

If you want to see families, then watch soap operas or sitcoms. Keep that shit out of an action show.

Again, the only explanation is that they found these writers on Craigslist.

Now maybe they're going to make this a soap opera in a super-hero setting. But that would be stupid too.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-17-2020 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:43 AM   #165
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Character specifics on Simon and Jessica emerge:

https://www.cbr.com/hbo-max-green-la...-jessica-cruz/
Old 12-28-2020, 12:12 AM   #166
JohnMc
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
The new guy taking over geoff thorne posted on twitter he literally hates hal and wants john stewart to be the focus. Granted i like john stewart but why have a writer who hates the best green lantern writing green lantern? The channel critical thinking has a theory dc may phase out the heros we love like hal Bruce wayne ect and replace them for the new generation. Did you see the tokenised batman? I wont lie looks decent but calling it now itll be race politics . Also real question im being serious how popular is batwing compared to terry mcguiness? I really dont see anyone clamoring for a batwing series movie or show.
For better or worse Hal is the biggest seller [then Kyle] of all the main Human GLs. This is suicide for this idiot to go on such a hateful rant against Hal.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #167
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
For better or worse Hal is the biggest seller [then Kyle] of all the main Human GLs. This is suicide for this idiot to go on such a hateful rant against Hal.
He's making it all about him. Geoff did that too, but without publicly pissing on the comic's star.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 12-29-2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-31-2020, 05:13 AM   #168
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Controversy sells. Just ask Eric Bischoff from WCW's past. Its often why TPTB think changing a character's sexuality or ethnicity will sell a comic for an extended period, even the dumbest ideas gets the green light for this reason. Even people that hate an idea will buy an issue or two and/or bitch about it on social media to get more buzz around it from one side or the other. Just look at the beginning of the Kyle era as an example, or the Death of Superman. Or the original Clone Saga from Marvel is also a good example, or Superior Spider-Man. Some characters were introduced with potential [Kyle, Superior Spidey, Steel and clone Superboy], some gimmicks went on too long [Death/Return of Superman], and some were clusterf***s out of the gate [Clone Saga].

With DC lately its give and take, sometimes the story is controversial [like turning Iceman or Alan Scott gay, or making ginger Wally a murderer], but now just as often it seems like the creators are controversial and not even in an appealing way [Dan Slott and Kelly DeConnick trolling fans and being uber-political, Geoffrey Thorne dissing Hal, and Mariko Tamaki trashing Starfire for what looks like a self insert into the DCU...]. Its just sad that people without passion for the characters and lore get to write them into the ground because outsiders looking in don't understand what actually sold comics for decades. Any seasoned fan worth half their weight in comics could conceptualize a multi-title relaunch better than the people over DC and Marvel now.
Old 01-05-2021, 12:00 AM   #169
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
John will probably lead a group of one winged white ferries thinking hes prince to apease the lgbtq or seeing as this new writer hates white people he'll probably somohow try to say only white people are gay and non white people aren't. And there has to be some bullshit message how the typical straight white guy has to shut up and accept it otherwise those who dont aren't accepting those peoples feelings. You know jokes aside normally i Would be all for equality but realisticly life isnt perfect. People can have a psychology degree and argue studies and argue about how right they are based on there title truth is they also aren't 100 percent accurate. I ditest this notion that if someone has dr in front of there name there 100 percent right and never can be wrong. For example my mom was given at a guess 1 month to live from stage 4 cancer. She lived 6 years. Im hot saying drs of any form are bad or dont trust drs but they cant predict the future. Same for psychology. Do you know how many times i was misdiagnosed since 2 years old? It took suicidal thoughts from a quit smoking drug to get me tested in 2013. The test was 3 hours. So if drs can get that wrong how can they not fet it wrong about the shole trans debate non binary or gender fluid debate? Sorry for my rant but this shit really pisses me off and its easy for people like big blue lantern who a few pages back to throw out hes a psychology personal wile taking peoples money so of course hes going to say oh they feel depression ect. Who in the world dosent get depressed? Same with suicide kids who are not gay are killing themselves yet nobody talks about it . People act like glbtq are the only people Who do it. And im Sorry if you dont want me to poke fun of your sexuality or critsise dont force it on me to where it has to be taught in kindergarten. Depression sadness anger rage even bullying are what make us human. Now a days you have sensitivity training or get fired or have to drop out of college if god forbid you said something 15 years ago and it reserfaces today. Appertley congress is removing gender pro nouns according to Yahoo news yesterday so he him her she are no longer acceptable. Brother and sister are now labeld sibling. This really is retarded

Last edited by TazzMission; 01-05-2021 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:27 AM   #170
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
John will probably lead a group of one winged white ferries thinking hes prince to apease the lgbtq or seeing as this new writer hates white people he'll probably somohow try to say only white people are gay and non white people aren't. And there has to be some bullshit message how the typical straight white guy has to shut up and accept it otherwise those who dont aren't accepting those peoples feelings. You know jokes aside normally i Would be all for equality but realisticly life isnt perfect. People can have a psychology degree and argue studies and argue about how right they are based on there title truth is they also aren't 100 percent accurate. I ditest this notion that if someone has dr in front of there name there 100 percent right and never can be wrong. For example my mom was given at a guess 1 month to live from stage 4 cancer. She lived 6 years. Im hot saying drs of any form are bad or dont trust drs but they cant predict the future. Same for psychology. Do you know how many times i was misdiagnosed since 2 years old? It took suicidal thoughts from a quit smoking drug to get me tested in 2013. The test was 3 hours. So if drs can get that wrong how can they not fet it wrong about the shole trans debate non binary or gender fluid debate? Sorry for my rant but this shit really pisses me off and its easy for people like big blue lantern who a few pages back to throw out hes a psychology personal wile taking peoples money so of course hes going to say oh they feel depression ect. Who in the world dosent get depressed? Same with suicide kids who are not gay are killing themselves yet nobody talks about it . People act like glbtq are the only people Who do it. And im Sorry if you dont want me to poke fun of your sexuality or critsise dont force it on me to where it has to be taught in kindergarten. Depression sadness anger rage even bullying are what make us human.
Not all depression is the same, as in the case with major depressive disorder, which is colloquially known as "clinical depression." It can be lethal, which is why there is an entire field devoted the study of the brain. The ability to manage negative emotions and seek a functional, pleasant existence is the right of every human being.

I don't want to belabor this point since this isn't the appropriate board for this, but I sincerely hope you're continuing to seek aid and counsel. Every post of yours is brimming with a multi-layered rage. If this isn't some manner of online affectation, but it's how you truly feel about other people and life in general, please take the greatest of care with your mental health. I mean that in the most authentic way possible, regardless of what you might think of me.
Old 01-06-2021, 09:35 PM   #171
JohnMc
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
He's making it all about him. Geoff did that too, but without publicly pissing on the comic's star.
This is why the Comic Book Industry is dying like it is. Hack writers using the characters as their personal avatars for their fan fic power/revenge fantasies.

Make Mine Manga.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:39 AM   #172
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

Who cares if Alan is gay or 1980s Guy MIGHT be taught about white privilege by his new black/alien partner?

If you don’t like it then don’t watch it! Be happy the GL franchise is in the spotlight again and keep your opinions about character changes they make to fit the times to yourself.
Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:46 AM   #173
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster Beetle View Post
Who cares if Alan is gay or 1980s Guy MIGHT be taught about white privilege by his new black/alien partner?

If you don’t like it then don’t watch it! Be happy the GL franchise is in the spotlight again and keep your opinions about character changes they make to fit the times to yourself.
So if tomorrow i drew black panther as a white European male where the villain is called black devil and post it online you'll say the same thing and not call it racist and back and support it? Or what if they cast a white man or white woman as mlk where mlk means Martha instead of martin in a biopic? You know damn well you would say its white Washing because you think race and gender swapping will fix the racial divide in the world and it wont. If anything it makes it worse by saying if your a female gay or person of color you cant succeed without swapping with a white or male character if anything it is more insulting. Hell why not eliminate gender pro nouns in the titles next replacing batman with batsuperior so it dont offend the pussy generation who dont like gender pro nouns? I just think its lunacy if a white person does black face its racist yet its not racist for white characters to be race swapped.

Last edited by TazzMission; 01-15-2021 at 03:59 AM.
Old 01-15-2021, 04:00 AM   #174
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

Quote:
So if tomorrow i drew black panther as a white European male and post it online you'll say the same thing and not call it racist and back and support it? Or what if they cast a white man or white woman as mlk where mlk means Martha instead of martin in a biopic? You know damn well you would say its white Washing because you think race and gender swapping will fix the racial divide in the world and it wont. If anything it makes it worse by saying if your a female gay or person of color you cant succeed without swapping with a white or male character if anything it is more insulting. Hell why not eliminate gender pro nouns in the titles next replacing batman with batsuperior so it dont offend the pussy generation who dont like gender pro nouns? I just think its lunacy if a white person does black face its racist yet its not racist for white characters to be race swapped.
https://lmgtfy.app/?q=false+equivalence

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 04:01 AM   #175
TazzMission
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booster Beetle View Post
Typical liberal. Trys to start a discussion and back peddles.