The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Red Lanterns/Warrior/Guy Gardner
FLASHCHAT

Red Lanterns
View Poll Results: Rate RL #1
* 3 7.69%
** 5 12.82%
*** 12 30.77%
**** 9 23.08%
***** 10 25.64%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #51
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

I mostly enjoyed it... I think this might eventually end up being what I'd call a "guilty pleasure" book.

I'm a little iffy on the Red Lanterns becoming just another superhero group (essentially), and I'm even more iffy on the blood-vomit -- it used to be like this highly, highly corrosive acid (like equivalent or worse than Alien blood) that could eat right through GL energy shields... now it, like, barely causes a skin rash.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:30 PM   #52
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
Atrocitus wanted to be a psychologist? Thatīs.. so random. Yeah, itīs a good thing for my inner fears that I have a 2 meter tall alien with sharp teeth as my psychologist.
Well, to be fair, if YOU were a 2 meter tall alien with sharp teeth (like the rest of the folks on his planet) it wouldn't be much of a problem.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #53
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Well, to be fair, if YOU were a 2 meter tall alien with sharp teeth (like the rest of the folks on his planet) it wouldn't be much of a problem.
Whoa whoa whoa...Meters? Last time I checked you were from AMERICA! FEET BROTHER. WE MEASURE IN FEET and INCHES.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #54
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
Whoa whoa whoa...Meters? Last time I checked you were from AMERICA! FEET BROTHER. WE MEASURE IN FEET and INCHES.
Tell that to Orion Pax (who DOESN'T live in America). I copied and pasted the description because I was too lazy to type it out again. (Much less convert the measurements.)
Old 09-15-2011, 09:53 PM   #55
Orion Pax
Iolande's Bodyguard

I still canīt imagine Atro as a psychologist..
Old 09-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #56
Mister Ed

Quote:
Yeah, that's kind of the downside when you design your villains to look as horrifying as they are supposed to BE. You can't really make that call and then expect anybody to be able to easily picture them in a less horrifying role.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:20 PM   #57
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I think if he was a psychologist he'd probably kill his patience before he had the chance to say anything, just because he tried to talk. Yeah I think that would be a pretty painful sight to think about.
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:07 PM   #58
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I picked up this book and a Ghost Rider story broke out.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #59
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
I picked up this book and a Ghost Rider story broke out.

What?
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:39 PM   #60
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

The spirit of vengeance is what Ghost Rider is about. And thus, Atrocitus new purpose, a force of vengeance. This issued demonstrated what Dr. Naysay told me awhile back, that in the absence of War, the Red Lanterns probably just sit around. This series tries to put the Red Lantern to good use.

Thus, welcome Ghost Riderville, popluation Atrocitus.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:53 AM   #61
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
The spirit of vengeance is what Ghost Rider is about. And thus, Atrocitus new purpose, a force of vengeance. This issued demonstrated what Dr. Naysay told me awhile back, that in the absence of War, the Red Lanterns probably just sit around. This series tries to put the Red Lantern to good use.

Thus, welcome Ghost Riderville, popluation Atrocitus.
More like Population : SUCK!

AMIRITE?!
Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:57 AM   #62
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post
More like Population : SUCK!

AMIRITE?!
I don't feel like I was given enough in this issue to determine if the series is going to suck. But that in itself kind of sucks, really.

I mean, I figured it was going to have to go the more general vengeance route, and I thought that COULD work, but this issue didn't really give me a strong idea of what that is going to look like, and didn't do much to reassure me that it would be a worthwhile endeavor.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:11 AM   #63
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I don't feel like I was given enough in this issue to determine if the series is going to suck. But that in itself kind of sucks, really.

I mean, I figured it was going to have to go the more general vengeance route, and I thought that COULD work, but this issue didn't really give me a strong idea of what that is going to look like, and didn't do much to reassure me that it would be a worthwhile endeavor.

Seriously.

Seriously.

You guys.

Seriously.

I wanted to be a psychiatrist. I wanted to help people. Now I'm just so angry.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I think I got my period reading Red Lanterns #1.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:33 AM   #64
Mister Ed

Quote:
I think I got my period reading Red Lanterns #1.
I dunno. I'm pretty sure you got your period a ways before THAT.

(I'm not even sure what I mean by that, but it seemed like a funny comeback at the time. Now I'm not so sure. )

But on a more serious note, as incongruous as it seems to have Atrocitus telling us about his former career aspirations (mainly because Geoff named him Atrocitus, and made him look like a horror movie reject), all along the notion has been that he is simply royally pissed off because his planet was wiped out, not that he is intrinsically some kind of evil, sadistic murderer. So while it seems odd and jarring, the fact that he had a normal life before being the raged-out freak he became is kind of logical.

That doesn't mean I really want to see any more flashbacks to his youth. Because I really, really don't. It didn't serve to establish anything of value that we didn't already know on some level, and it was, as I mentioned, rather jarring.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:50 AM   #65
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Did Johns come up with the name Atrocitus or did Moore? I know Moore came up with Ysmault, The Five Inversions and Qull but I can't remember if he named the other 4.

At any rate... a psychologist?!

COME ON!

I can't believe anybody is seriously defending this shit.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:05 AM   #66
Mister Ed

Quote:
Did Johns come up with the name Atrocitus or did Moore? I know Moore came up with Ysmault, The Five Inversions and Qull but I can't remember if he named the other 4.

COME ON!

I think there might have been at least one other named creature in the original story, but it WASN'T Atrocitus. He didn't appear at all. (His appearance, while frightening, isn't nearly surreal enough to fit in with the seriously freaky stuff in the original story, IMHO.) In the original story, it wasn't at all clear that "the Five Inversions" was a group of five entities. It was just a odd-sounding addendum to Qull's name, never explained. I never took it to refer to a group that Qull was a member of until Johns used it that way. There were WAAAAY more than five "people" imprisoned on Ysmault. The whole freakin' Empire of Tears was stuck on that rock.

And I'm not defending it, per se, since like I said, it hasn't really shown me anything worth defending. I'm simply playing devil's advocate here, and saying that there is nothing intrinsically illogical to his past career aspirations. I'm just not all that interested in seeing them explored, and really HOPE they don't become an ongoing facet of the character.

If Atrocitus, the student of psychology, becomes as defining a factor in his portrayal as John Stewart's Marine background suddenly became, I'll be seriously put off. I'm just not experiencing as violent a reaction to the mere mention of it as you seem to be.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:24 AM   #67
Emperor Aquaman
Guy's Drinking Buddy

"We're like lovers"?!?!?!!?! HAH! I knew Atty was GAY! lol

This issue I was expecting to like...nay! LOVE! The RLs are my fave out of all the other corps..buuuuut it was one big MEH.

The grandpa story, the whole something-like-a-mutiny thing led by bleeze, and the very, VERY predictable epiphany that Atrocitus had (oh, wait, his real name is Atros, now ) that made him realize how his true destiny is to "avenge" innocents that get wronged all over the universe was just more uninteresting than watching a dog lick itself (unless you're into that kind of stuff , of course).

I'm sticking around just because i really, really like the Reds, but I hope it picks up speed and starts to become interesting somewhere along the line, cuz this issue sure as HELL wasn't.

Great to see Dexy still ass-tearing around, tho.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:29 AM   #68
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

How many actual appearances does Dex Starr have at this point?
Old 09-16-2011, 02:35 AM   #69
Emperor Aquaman
Guy's Drinking Buddy

Quote:

COME ON!

"I know right?!" It turns out that Atty was Ryut's resident Freud.

And NO. Qull and Roaxana-whatchamacallit (brother and sister) were the demons of Ysmault Moore came up with among a few nameless others (btw, the ONLY one known as "of the five inversions" was Qull...nobody else).

Atrocitus is (apparently a good husband and dad and also) a character that Johns came up with completely on his own.

In Moore's story the Demons of Ysmault were presented as the very essence, the very incarnation of all that is evil in the universe. Not a Baby-daddy shrink... no, Qull was the very definition of sadism and perversion...as were the other (no, not inversions, again, that was only Qull's last name) demons of Ysmault...

PS. This issue sucked.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #70
-Ysmault-
Guy's Drinking Buddy

The other one was Roixeaume. And about the Empire of Tears: http://greenlantern.wikia.com/wiki/Empire_of_Tears
-Ysmault- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #71
Scythe
The Red Lantern

Still wanna check this shit out, haters be damned.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #72
-Ysmault-
Guy's Drinking Buddy

I wish they hadn't scrapped the concept of the Empire of Tears. It would be a good oponent for the GLC: instead of another Corps have a large group of demons with magic abilities with an already stablished motivation to attack the guardians. It could even be linked to the Origin and Omens that shown Mordru, Alan and Torquemada on trial and to LO3W; the war with the Empire of Tears could convince the guardians that magic is too dangerous for their plans on the ordering of the Universe and thus they try to imprison all magic users on Sorcerer's World (which would play the same role Ysmault used to back in the day).
-Ysmault- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #73
Orion Pax
Iolande's Bodyguard

Quote:

COME ON!

I love the effort you put into the rants. I can almost taste the anger here.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:41 PM   #74
Mister Ed

Quote:
I love the effort you put into the rants. I can almost taste the anger here.
Maybe he can have a guest spot in Red Lanterns, where a Red Ring shows up while he's posting on a message board.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #75
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I mostly enjoyed it... I think this might eventually end up being what I'd call a "guilty pleasure" book.

I'm a little iffy on the Red Lanterns becoming just another superhero group (essentially), and I'm even more iffy on the blood-vomit -- it used to be like this highly, highly corrosive acid (like equivalent or worse than Alien blood) that could eat right through GL energy shields... now it, like, barely causes a skin rash.
I'm in this camp. Book wasn't horrible, but the lack of corrosion by the rage-blood and the Grandpa side-story are off-putting.