No announcement yet.

DC Universe Online initial discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There comin out with a DCU online? Since when?

Comment

I first heard about it just over a year ago... its due out this fall.
      Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Parrylakks View Post
        I first heard about it just over a year ago... its due out this fall.
        the ONLY thing I have heard is

DC = PS3

Marvel = Xbox 360

and that is it. nothing more then they will be exclusive to each console I have no idea about a CPU Game
        My Ketogenic Journey

Comment

DCUO is basically a dedicated PC game, thogh it may have a console port... its an MMORPG...

Comment

actually they plan on it boing both PS3 and PC ill see if i can locate the article i recently read....

http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsr...167861,00.html

SOE will be developing and publishing a game based on the DC Comics universe for next generation gaming platforms and the PC. It is expected that Lee will serve as Executive Creative Director on the game, bringing his artistic flair and talents to the world of online gaming for the first time.

so both and i cant see how they expect to make a DCU game and not have lanterns in the realease (even if its just green) after all the plots recently that revolve around the lanterns it would be like cutting off there foot before a race .

Comment

Marvel Online has been put on hold, so Marvel-haters rejoice. When I find the link I'll stick it in here.

Comment

I thought Marvel Online was cancelled. Which is a shame, I was actually looking forward to that.

A guy at my local Gamestop told me that DCUO was gonna play out by having the player choose to be one of like, 5 different types of classes (dont know if you can call them "classes" but whatever). You can choose to be a Batman-related guy in Gotham with superior martial arts abilities, some form of Kryptonian (dont really know how that would be fair...), a GL in Coast City with ring constructs, a character who is able to control the Speed Force, and some others like Aquaman related and Wonder Woman related. The character would be able to move around to other areas once a high enough level.

Don't know if I necessarily beleive that, honestly....but hey, if done right, that could be pretty fun.

Comment

Originally posted by drkwolf222 View Post
                  i cant see how they expect to make a DCU game and not have lanterns in the realease (even if its just green) after all the plots recently that revolve around the lanterns it would be like cutting off there foot before a race .
                  I'm not saying there wouldn't be lanterns in it, I'm just saying I don't recon they will be a playable hero type until an expansion... why? Becasue in all reality, the GLC could be its own MMO... the GL vastness is bigger than the rest of the DCU in a gaming sense. I reckon the intital release will be set on Earth, with the JLA satellite being the farthest you can go from it. Then we'll get expansions... and one of them will be a GLC expansion, which will involved all the sectors, or at least a good number of them, and it will concentrate around everyone being a Lantern of some sort, in it.

If they didn't do it this way, then there would be 1 of two problems with the game in whole... a) people who didn't want to be a Lantern would get shafted, or b) being a Lantern would be pointless because you couldn't leave Earth, making the number of Earth GLs even higher, and therefore ridiculous, than the already high number in the comics (4 official and 1 honorary).

I'm just saying you shouldn't get your hopes up to be a Lantern until they start releasing expansions. Thats not to say you won't meet Hal, Guy, John, Kyle or Alan sometime in the main game.

Comment

Originally posted by Superzan View Post
                    A guy at my local Gamestop told me that DCUO was gonna play out by having the player choose to be one of like, 5 different types of classes (dont know if you can call them "classes" but whatever). You can choose to be a Batman-related guy in Gotham with superior martial arts abilities, some form of Kryptonian (dont really know how that would be fair...), a GL in Coast City with ring constructs, a character who is able to control the Speed Force, and some others like Aquaman related and Wonder Woman related. The character would be able to move around to other areas once a high enough level.
                    Don't believe him... I learned a long time ago that people who work at Gamestop never know as much as they claim. Some idiot at one once said that Lucas was editing out Luke's face in Empire Strikes Back from the severed Vader head, and putting in young Anakin's... the guy was totally wrong, and by the way he said it, it was obvious he was talking out of his fanboy wannabe ass. But yeah... never trust anyone at Gamestop that says anything about a game that is coming out in more than 2 months... because if its not that close, all they will talk about is rumors, heresay, and bullshit... and 80% of the time... they're wrong.

Comment

Yeah I've noticed that too Parry. Same with Best Buy guys.(I apologize if any of you work at Best Buy). I knew when 300 was coming out on DVD but I wanted to make conversation with the guy and asked him when it was comin out. He said not for another 6 months when it was coming out that month. What a moron.

Comment

Wow so they are actually coming out with a DC MMO. This would defintley be the first one that I would be interested in getting even though the only characters I would be interested in would be a GL one so I think I'll wait for a expanison so you can fly around the different sectors and worlds before I would jump on board.

Comment

i can see where you are going but i think you are giving DC way to much credit . If there are missions that take us off planet i will be amazed and the idea of opening up the entire Oan jurisdiction is really really a pipe dream. They may have a few instanced space missions if they go that rout. if not expect a lot of city streets and hords of thugs till you are mid lvl. named villians and groups will be at the end of plot based missions and a green lantern will be a glorified controler ( Holds blasts shields and maybe a ring construct or 2 ) i plan on playing it but i dont expect it to be the best superhero game ever made. COH put together a pretty fun game but even there system has some glaring issues with grinding and content that keep you intrested. unless DC pulls a rabbit out of its hat and really tries to break the MMo mold its gonna be pretty transparent game design with very few NEW innovations in the genra. ( like most super heros games ingeneral )

But i hope they prove me wrong

Comment

a smidgen of DCU MMORPG info.....

Yo.

http://blog.newsarama.com/2008/06/27...iverse-online/

my only prob w/this is the following part:

In the future, it’s possible we could see models, environments and costumes from the game turning up in other DC Comics properties, and there are plans for plot crossovers. “We can tie-in future DC tentpole events and translate the stories for the gaming world, and have them occur simultaneously,” said Lee. “The possibilities are numerous and very exciting.”
                            which translated means: "since anything you create on our servers is/will be legally considered OURS, we just created a massive R&D for new heroes for years to come........and you'll pay for it too boot."

I'll tell ya 1 thing: if I cant be a GL, then its NOT getting my money.

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                            Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

Yo.

heres that Edge article: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=161093

New DC Universe Online details emerge
                              News by Ellie Gibson

Some new details have emerged of DC Universe Online, the new PC and PS3 MMO in development at Sony Online Entertainment.

In this month's Edge magazine, executive creative director Jim Lee describes DC Universe as a "kick-ass hybrid between a traditional MMO and a first-person action console game".

You'll get to create your own superhero or villain, choosing their particular powers, according to the Edge article. So you'll decide whether to attack using fire or ice, for example, and move around using acrobatics or the power of flight. Other potential abilities mentioned in the article include speed-running and teleportation.

As with a traditional MMO your character will level up as you progress, and you'll develop your powers. When the game starts you might be able to fly, but only later will you learn how to pull off specific moves and attacks in mid-air.

Although you don't get to "be" any of the famous DC characters, you do get to interact with them. That might mean you end up saving Superman from being stabbed with a shard of kryptonite by Lex Luthor. Or, if you're a villain, you could cause carnage by chucking cars around downtown Metropolis, thereby encouraging the boy in blue to turn up and fight you.

Metropolis is one of two large shared environments revealed so far, the other being Gotham City. Unlike World of Warcraft, DC Universe will be comprised of a mix of these environments and separate instances. And while there will still be instances and raids, the emphasis will be on fast-paced action rather than grinding.

There will be PvP arenas, and you'll be able to make use of your superpowers and those of others in interesting ways. For example, someone might freeze your character in a block of ice, then pick up the block and chuck it at another player. In some instances, PvP fights will end up turning into giant PvE boss battles.

In the future, it's possible we could see models, environments and costumes from the game turning up in other DC Comics properties, and there are plans for plot crossovers. "We can tie-in future DC tentpole events and translate the stories for the gaming world, and have them occur simultaneously," said Lee. "The possibilities are numerous and very exciting."

UPDATE:This article previously reported that DC Universe Online is out next year. This was an error on our part. Sony Online Entertainment has not yet given any word on when the game will be released. Sorry about that.

Tazer

Originally posted by Andrew NDB
                              Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.

Comment

You would think that GL's would be a playable class as their a intergalatic police force, unlike the rest of the characters where their can really only be the one of them. (or Family of them in the case of Bats and Supes) But there can be a huge number of GL's. Then again powers with the ring would be difficult to do in a game I suppose.

Darth_Andrea

Comment

Working...
                                X