The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #51
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian
 
Bolerathon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 1,754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
Or talk about how the Movie Ruined thier life then go see the sequal.
Is it wrong to hope the sequel can redeem?
__________________
Goodbye Christopher Hitchins 1949 - 2011
Bolerathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #52
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern
 
Rotten2thecorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Qward
Posts: 2,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolerathon View Post
Is it wrong to hope the sequel can redeem?
Yes. Becaus If you hate the movie why would you think the next one is going to be better. It is like a woman who keeps going back to an abusive spouse.
__________________
Green Lantern.... I use to read that.
Rotten2thecorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:39 PM   #53
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian
 
Bolerathon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 1,754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
Yes. Becaus If you hate the movie why would you think the next one is going to be better. It is like a woman who keeps going back to an abusive spouse.
That's a bit much. Hellboy 2 was leagues better than Hellboy 1. Star Trek 2: Wrath of Khan is much better than Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I think Batman & Robin is so bizarre that it's funny and I enjoy watching it much more than the 1st 3 in that series. In fact I get so bored of the 1st 2 films that I never feel the need to watch them but I get a pang for how ludicrous campyness of Batman Forever and Batman and Robin.

Sequels can offer something new if they are taken in new directions and have different creative hands at the tiller.
__________________
Goodbye Christopher Hitchins 1949 - 2011
Bolerathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #54
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern
 
Rotten2thecorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Qward
Posts: 2,486
Default

I am sure you can see the hypocraicy behind trashing a movie then paying 10 bucks to go see the sequal. Or as I have see taking it a step further and camping out so you can get tickets for the midnight showing that oppens a month later.

Most normal would not go se a sequal. If the need came up to give the sequal a chance. Then rent it. Or wait till it comes on TV.
__________________
Green Lantern.... I use to read that.
Rotten2thecorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #55
TazzMission
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister.Weirdo View Post
Um you didn't answer the question?
yes i did because as you can see its not even on my list wich means its not ranked at all.


thats how much i didnt like it
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:53 PM   #56
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian
 
Bolerathon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 1,754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
I am sure you can see the hypocraicy behind trashing a movie then paying 10 bucks to go see the sequal. Or as I have see taking it a step further and camping out so you can get tickets for the midnight showing that oppens a month later.

Most normal would not go se a sequal. If the need came up to give the sequal a chance. Then rent it. Or wait till it comes on TV.
It's entirely circumstantial. If you hated Transformers then you would have no reason to see the second and the 3rd since it's the same team, same director and most of the same cast.

Look at the reverse. The Excorsist is great but it's sequels had totally different creative teams and were lame. By your logic then the 1st movie sets the benchmark of quality for anything else that follows. That's not true. If you see trailers that look like the sequels are going in a new direction, why not? If you see a new director or writer attached who knows what they are doing then you have reason to believe it could be different. This isn't a one size fits all situation.
__________________
Goodbye Christopher Hitchins 1949 - 2011
Bolerathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #57
TazzMission
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolerathon View Post
It's entirely circumstantial. If you hated Transformers then you would have no reason to see the second and the 3rd since it's the same team, same director and most of the same cast.

Look at the reverse. The Excorsist is great but it's sequels had totally different creative teams and were lame. By your logic then the 1st movie sets the benchmark of quality for anything else that follows. That's not true. If you see trailers that look like the sequels are going in a new direction, why not? If you see a new director or writer attached who knows what they are doing then you have reason to believe it could be different. This isn't a one size fits all situation.
if steven spielberg was attached to a sequal to gl i think alot of people will see it just because hes directing it.


me personly i like the man but i hated his version of war of the worlds and that basicly says no matter how big the directors is dosent mean his movie cant be bad.

in the end the movie buisness will bank money only on the mans name being attached to the film.

thats how hollywood is now a days
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:30 PM   #58
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 15,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern888 View Post
It's in my top 3 I'd have to say. V for Vendetta is my top one though (It's tied for my favorite movie of all time.)
V For Vendetta is so underappreciated. I fucking LOVE that movie. I own it on bluray AND dvd and have watched it probably 20 times. The whole Evey sequence in the middle of the movie is wonderful. And the change at the end was worth it. I flick a booger at the haters.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:32 PM   #59
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 15,658
Default

I'm not expecting it to make anyone's list, but anyone here ever see the Doc Savage movie?
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:55 PM   #60
W.West
Moderator
 
W.West's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Detroit,MI & LosAngeles, CA
Posts: 36,676
Blog Entries: 69
Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West
Default

Never even heard of it existing.
__________________
W.West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:01 AM   #61
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 15,658
Default

WB just reissued in on dvd on their website, along with the superhero roast with Ed MacMahon, Herculoids, and some other old flicks they couldn't get away with putting in stores.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:08 AM   #62
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian
 
Bolerathon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 1,754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
V For Vendetta is so underappreciated. I fucking LOVE that movie. I own it on bluray AND dvd and have watched it probably 20 times. The whole Evey sequence in the middle of the movie is wonderful. And the change at the end was worth it. I flick a booger at the haters.
The reason I don't really like V for Vendetta is because when compared to it's source it's really dumbed down. The revolution at the end is really tame and orderly but it's a full scale riot in the book. I understand not having the Fate computer in it but I think that added so much to it as well. Not to mention the end. To me it was more effective that the Chancellor was murdered by one of the many ordinary folks who had just had enough.
__________________
Goodbye Christopher Hitchins 1949 - 2011
Bolerathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:13 AM   #63
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern
 
Rotten2thecorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Qward
Posts: 2,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolerathon View Post
It's entirely circumstantial. If you hated Transformers then you would have no reason to see the second and the 3rd since it's the same team, same director and most of the same cast.

Look at the reverse. The Excorsist is great but it's sequels had totally different creative teams and were lame. By your logic then the 1st movie sets the benchmark of quality for anything else that follows. That's not true. If you see trailers that look like the sequels are going in a new direction, why not? If you see a new director or writer attached who knows what they are doing then you have reason to believe it could be different. This isn't a one size fits all situation.
Well just have to agree to disagree. But me personally, If I hear a person sit there and go on about how much they hate Rob Zombies Halloween and How The Hooror world is coming to and end because of it. I respect that opinion, But then when that same asshole buys the special edition DVD then goes and sees the sequal opening night. Thier opinions and views become meaningless.

You don't have to like it but don't I am sure you can understand where I am coming from. I know a crew of guys that work at movie stop and they are kinda movie snobs. They will go see a sequal of a movie they hated just so they they can bad talk it. Surely you all have met people like that as well.
__________________
Green Lantern.... I use to read that.
Rotten2thecorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:50 AM   #64
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 15,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolerathon View Post
The reason I don't really like V for Vendetta is because when compared to it's source it's really dumbed down. The revolution at the end is really tame and orderly but it's a full scale riot in the book. I understand not having the Fate computer in it but I think that added so much to it as well. Not to mention the end. To me it was more effective that the Chancellor was murdered by one of the many ordinary folks who had just had enough.
I was fine with the changes because some of the source material just wouldn't have worked on the big screen. The Voice Of Fate being changed to a Bill O'Reilly type of tv personality worked. The mob at the end with the masks actually kind of took my breath away. I thought that image really made the end come together with what V wanted; for the people to take back their lives and their country. And Hugo Weaving was fucking awesome as V.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the Moore version; I bought the 10 issues as they came out and loved it enough to buy it again in Absolute format. That will always be the REAL version to me. I just loved what they did with the movie.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:22 AM   #65
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian
 
Bolerathon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Posts: 1,754
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
But then when that same asshole buys the special edition DVD then goes and sees the sequal opening night. Thier opinions and views become meaningless.

You don't have to like it but don't I am sure you can understand where I am coming from. I know a crew of guys that work at movie stop and they are kinda movie snobs. They will go see a sequal of a movie they hated just so they they can bad talk it. Surely you all have met people like that as well.
Totally agree with you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
I was fine with the changes because some of the source material just wouldn't have worked on the big screen. The Voice Of Fate being changed to a Bill O'Reilly type of tv personality worked. The mob at the end with the masks actually kind of took my breath away. I thought that image really made the end come together with what V wanted; for the people to take back their lives and their country. And Hugo Weaving was fucking awesome as V.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer the Moore version; I bought the 10 issues as they came out and loved it enough to buy it again in Absolute format. That will always be the REAL version to me. I just loved what they did with the movie.
Fair enough. Also glad they didn't put the nuking of Africa in it.
__________________
Goodbye Christopher Hitchins 1949 - 2011
Bolerathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:59 AM   #66
TazzMission
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
I fell aspleep twice while watching it at the drive in. It had some good parts, but doesn't deserve the rave reviews (IMO).


first class was ok i think people overhype it alot.


i do agree that rocketteer is very under rated dave
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:42 PM   #67
EmeraldGamer
Green Lantern
 
EmeraldGamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Posts: 633
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
I flick a booger at the haters.


:s pritz:
__________________

Last edited by EmeraldGamer; 07-18-2011 at 06:47 PM.
EmeraldGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #68
Savage Ringer
Kilowog's Recruit
 
Savage Ringer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Tejas
Posts: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
I'm not expecting it to make anyone's list, but anyone here ever see the Doc Savage movie?
Yep I saw it in the theater when it came out. But I don't remember much about it. I need to get the DVD.

Here is my list:

1. Iron Man
2. Thor
3. Captain America: The First Avenger
4. The Incredible Hulk
5. Hulk
6. Iron Man 2
7. Ghost Rider
8. Batman Begins
9. Green Lantern
10. Mystery Men
11. The Phantom
12. Spider-Man 3
13. X-men: Last Stand
14. Spider-Man
15. Spider-Man 2
16. X2: X-Men United
17. The Rocketeer
18. Hellboy
19. The Crow
20. 300
21. Batman 1966
22. Batman 1989
23. Batman Forever
24. Superman II
25. Superman
26. The Watchmen
27. The Dark Knight
28. Conan the Barbarian
29. Judge Dredd
30. Captain America 1990
31. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
32. Spawn
33. Superman Returns
34. X-Men
35. Fantastic Four
36. Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
37. X-Men Origins: Wolverine
38. Batman and Robin
39. Superman III
40. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II
41. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III
42. Batman Returns

Not on my list then I didn't see it.
__________________

Last edited by Savage Ringer; 08-12-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Savage Ringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:03 AM   #69
LordAtrocitus
Green Lantern Initiate
 
LordAtrocitus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ysmault.
Posts: 413
Default

2nd next to Captain America.
__________________


Into philosophy? Religion? Politics? Comics? Games? Wanna discuss these things/see reviews? Comment on previous posts! Visit my blogs! http://btucker9.blogspot.com/ http://bulletlantern.blogspot.com/
LordAtrocitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:07 AM   #70
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe
 
Mister.Weirdo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vermont
Posts: 8,036
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Haven't seen many movies I suppose?
Mister.Weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #71
LordAtrocitus
Green Lantern Initiate
 
LordAtrocitus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ysmault.
Posts: 413
Default

Not really. :P I'm a books kinda guy.
__________________


Into philosophy? Religion? Politics? Comics? Games? Wanna discuss these things/see reviews? Comment on previous posts! Visit my blogs! http://btucker9.blogspot.com/ http://bulletlantern.blogspot.com/
LordAtrocitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:20 AM   #72
Phantom6
Corpse Trainee
 
Phantom6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: FL
Posts: 264
Default

Having not seen every comic movie ever made I can only say, most likely within my top 15.
Phantom6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:37 AM   #73
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 15,658
Default

I'm updating my list to include Cap (sorry Rocketeer, but your ass just got bumped!) which was fucking AWESOME, as well as the continuing decline of GL on my list. I just watched The Incredible Hulk again today and decided I was kidding myself when I put GL higher than it.

  1. The Dark Knight
  2. Iron Man
  3. Superman
  4. Captain America
  5. V For Vendetta
  6. Spider-Man 2
  7. Superman II
  8. Watchmen
  9. Batman Begins
  10. The Incredible Hulk
  11. Green Lantern
  12. Thor
  13. Iron Man 2
  14. Sin City
  15. Spiderman
  16. 300
  17. Hellboy
  18. X-Men
  19. X Men 2
  20. Hellboy II
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #74
My Soul Corrupted
Major Force's Dinner Date
 
My Soul Corrupted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 94
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern888 View Post
It's in my top 3 I'd have to say. V for Vendetta is my top one though (It's tied for my favorite movie of all time.)
V for Vendetta is better than Dark Knight, in your opinion?

I would say the GL movie is in my top twenty superhero films, although not high on the list.
__________________
Orbis terrarum Est Non Satis, tamen boobs es satis mihi
My Soul Corrupted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:43 AM   #75
Michael Heide
Heide Finition
 
Michael Heide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cologne, Germany
Posts: 11,346
Default

My top 5:

1. American Splendor
2. Ghost World
3. The Dark Knight
4. Sin City
5. Superman: The Movie

Green Lantern ranks somewhere at the bottom. It's nowhere as bad as Catwoman, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or Batman and Robin, but I'd say that Daredevil (Director's Cut), Batman Forever and Son of the Mask are all better than Green Lantern.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.