Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"More is better" again in Green Lantern!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
    Is that the real reason, or is it because you want to get rid of constructs?

I mean, I'm kinda' with you on that. The idea of a guy fighting enemies with a glowing green vacuum cleaner, egg beater, or some such? That is pretty silly, and near impossible to take seriously. You would also need to brainstorm a reason why he would even bother with such things, though I do recall one of those direct to video Green Lantern cartoons saying that constructs were more powerful than beams and bubbles. Dunno' why, though.

Anyway, as for Green Lantern, if I'm REALLY honest with myself, upon some examination, I don't think I've enjoyed it for years, and there were only a couple runs that I super love (Steve Englehart and Gerard Jones), so I'm sort of indifferent to what DC does with it at this stage. I was excited about it when Geoff Johns left, and I got into the post-Johns stuff, but it was all with the expectation that it was actually going somewhere. And... it really didn't go anywhere, and still hasn't. Now that it's all pretty much said and done, I can say that it just sort of floundered around with boring, empty stories, which it seems that DC wants us to forget about 50% to 65% of them (Lights Out, Lost Army, Edge of Oblivion, New Guardians)

Continuing to stack on various color corps, rings, spectrum, and Earth Lanterns is a sure way to keep me pretty apathetic about the whole thing... and... that's pretty much what DC does, so...
    The constructs really need to go. They might have seemed cool to kids in the Silver Age, but now they're silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
      Is that the real reason, or is it because you want to get rid of constructs?

I mean, I'm kinda' with you on that. The idea of a guy fighting enemies with a glowing green vacuum cleaner, egg beater, or some such? That is pretty silly, and near impossible to take seriously. You would also need to brainstorm a reason why he would even bother with such things, though I do recall one of those direct to video Green Lantern cartoons saying that constructs were more powerful than beams and bubbles. Dunno' why, though.

The constructs really need to go. They might have seemed cool to kids in the Silver Age, but now they're silly.

Comment

Double post.
        Trey Strain
        Guardian of the Universe
        Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-15-2018, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
          Eh, if the constructs don't work than GL doesn't work. That's what he is, a guy who makes stuff with a magic or near-magic pseudo-scientific ring. If the constructs don't work anymore than ditch the whole property. Getting rid of them but keeping GL is like saying Batman can't have a bat theme anymore because it's too goofy. There are plenty of other cops-in-space characters. Constructs are what makes GL different from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
            Eh, if the constructs don't work than GL doesn't work. That's what he is, a guy who makes stuff with a magic or near-magic pseudo-scientific ring. If the constructs don't work anymore than ditch the whole property. Getting rid of them but keeping GL is like saying Batman can't have a bat theme anymore because it's too goofy. There are plenty of other cops-in-space characters. Constructs are what makes GL different from them.
            I know about your and Mr. Ed's passion for the constructs. But here's a point I've made to you before.

There are plenty of constructs in the GL comics now, but the comics aren't selling worth a crap. So obviously, the constructs don't sell the comics. If they did, then the comics would be selling. You can like the constructs all you want to, but they don't sell the comics.

And no, the constructs are not what makes Green Lantern unique. Or at least they're not what makes Green Lantern unique in a good way.

As Star-Lantern said, even if you could make a goofy construct with your power ring, why would you do that?
            Trey Strain
            Guardian of the Universe
            Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-15-2018, 11:17 PM.

Comment

I've never said anything to him about anything. HE stupidly trolls ME out of the blue, because he's upset that I'll get a job writing comics and he'll get passed over. But the joke's on him, because I've got a writing gig outside comics, besides my day job. So he can stop worrying about me.

Here's how whacked out he got. Whenever I'd post something in the Fan Works forum, he'd almost immediately bump one of his own threads to the top of the list, hoping fewer people would see what I had posted! He did it every time I posted something, without fail!

So now it's up to him to finally get that job writing a Kyle comic he's wanted so badly and for so long, and good luck to him in that effort. I'm not competing with him or keeping him down. I've got nothing to do with that and no interest in him or his struggle. Later for him.
              You always feel the need to tell somebody they'll never do this or that, tell them their writing sucks, etc. The last time you responded to something I said [literally five words asking to stay on topic] you felt the need to type the same old bullshit [and you seriously think you're NOT a troll?!]. You're projecting because your own ideas are shit and you never get positive feedback. When you can't get people to read your stuff you insert bits here and there in almost every thread you post in, half the time derailing the fuck out of them.

I also can't help that I still make micros. Or write fanfic once in awhile that people actually read and respond to. When there's only three of us posting in Fan Works it's always gonna be me or Star's threads getting updated and knocking whatever fanfic you've posted out of the top slot. That's how forums work.

As far as never writing a comic? I bust my ass doing work in a production plant and just got a 30% pay increase this week. You can keep writing your crap stories making Hal a race car driver and putting half the DCU in Gotham and going on like you're some kind of expert or professional in comics, movies, and television but everybody knows you're just another guy.

( And also just to note, IDK why he thinks Kyle Rayner is the only character I'd ever want to write? I post Kyle Fanfic here because.... this is a Green Lantern forum LOL )

- Ω

Comment

There are plenty of constructs in the GL comics now, but the comics aren't selling worth a crap.
                While I agree that they've sold better in the past, they're not a total failure. Four monthly books in the Top 100 are a feat. Even if it could and should be better.

So obviously, the constructs don't sell the comics. If they did, then the comics would be selling.
                That's "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" mentality. Yes, sales could be better. But tying them to constructs of all things is quite a stretch.

As Star-Lantern said, even if you could make a goofy construct with your power ring, why would you do that?
                Because it's something Superman, Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter can't do.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                  ...Because it's something Superman, Wonder Woman and Martian Manhunter can't do.
                  Yeah and it can be done where it makes sense like when Soranik needs a stethoscope or maybe a GL needs a lockpick because just blowing through a door would be the wrong approach. Not every construct is a giant boxing glove.

Comment

Two asswipes join the GLC. Because, of course, more is better in Green Lantern. Even when you add asswipes!

"ASSWIPE SPOILERS"
                    Trey Strain
                    Guardian of the Universe
                    Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-17-2018, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Who cares about Injustice?

Comment

Sinestro becoming a GL again to aid in their war against the Red Lanterns isn't THAT much of a stretch. And honestly? For an out of continuity story... this shot of Lobo makes me wonder how he could actually work in the void left by Jack T. Chance? The construct spiked shoulder pad and badge with chains on top of Lobo's more standard attire looks cool.

- Ω

Comment

Sinestro should be a villain. Period. Green Lantern doesn't have enough villains that they should use him in any other capacity, but they certainly keep trying to, don't they?

Lobo -- jeez. The most useless character ever. Putting a green ring on him in any GL story is just bottom of the barrel. There was NOBODY else? Really?
                          Trey Strain
                          Guardian of the Universe
                          Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-18-2018, 12:09 AM.

Comment

...Lobo -- jeez. The most useless character ever. Putting a green ring on him in any GL story is just bottom of the barrel. There was NOBODY else? Really?
                            I agree with that. He's my least liked DC character. BUT Injustice has been good and I don't mind what they do with continuity since it's just a video game tie-in. That said, their take on the DCU is actually closer to the classic version than it has been since Flashpoint.

Comment

Lol he thinks adding Lobo to the Corps in an out-of-canon story is more offensive than removing constructs from the mythos XD

Comment

Yeah, that's hilarious.

Comment

Working...
                                X