Ancient Lanterns in Green Lanterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancient Lanterns in Green Lanterns

Actually I am hoping that the Coluan and the Tamarian Lantern can be moved into the present-day corps somehow. The Tamarian character, reminds me a little of Prince Thun from the Flash Gordon days, could seemingly fill that Arkiss Chummunck role in the Corps, I still miss him. For a while I was hoping that Tigorr could take that spot but they wouldn't want to remove him from the Omega Men because the book wouldn't work without him.

One of my favorite one off ideas during the John's era was win Vril Dox got a yellow ring and became a member of the Sinestro Corps. I always envisioned Dox being a powerful member of the SC and one day making a bid for outright leadership, since he would be backed by his L.E.G.I.O.N. The idea of merging a Coluan level intellect with a power ring for me is even more fascinating than putting a power ring on a Kryptonian or Daxamite. I would like to see the GLC come into contact/conflict with the L.E.G.I.O.N because I want to see the Corps go up against something other than other corps for a while. The idea of the GLC being in competition with a character as complex as Dox would be enjoyable.

I get its off topic, but it would be cool if some GLs were centuries and centuries old. I'm sure it's been done before, but I don't recall any of the currents being really ancient. Still, you'd think some species most live much, much longer than us.

Comment

it would be nice to have some sage old wisdom in the Corps to refer to. As of now It feels like even though Salaak is tech minded, Hal/John/Guy are about as senior as the Corps gets well I guess Kilowog since he trained them.

Kilowog has been the trainer for quite a while now but it is still hard for me to forget that pre-retcon as drill sergeant, he was just as green/inexperienced as Arisia during the Green Lantern Corps team book back in the day. With the Guardians gone for the most part now the GLC is like Lord of the Flies in a way. Just like the X-Men would eventually outgrow the need to be under Prof X, but you still kind of miss that presence. I miss having the Guardians around for that browbeating of hot headed earthers who only see the immediate threat but aren't looking decades down the road.

Comment

I like the idea that a lot of alien races live much longer than us. And that they view human lifespans as a flicker of flame. Plus it would be in the Guardians interest to recruit members who could serve longer, and avoid constant recruiting and training. Abin Sur being much older was always interesting to me, explaining why there wasnt a human GL before From the old west until Hal (depending on what stories you read).

I just want to avoid more billion year old immortals. That just seems goofy for lanterns. Larfleeze being that old is ridiculous, anyone that old wouldnt be anyone we could recognize as the person they started off as. I prefer my immortals to be within their first few hundred years of their lifespan.

Comment

^I agree. Vulcan ages or maybe a thousand-year lifespan would be fun, the kind of thing where a thirty-year-old human is so far back for them that it seems like being a little kid. In Highlander, they had this fun thing where Duncan (at just under 400) was relatively young compared to some of his friends and enemies. The perspective of someone who remembers before the printing press is just fun to consider.

Space Cop
          The Dandy
          Last edited by Space Cop; 09-14-2017, 05:22 PM.

Comment

That's exactly what I was thinking. I was actually thinking of Spock when I wrote that, and the Highlander comparison is also excellent. Old, but not SO old that its silly. We already have the Guardians who shouldnt have been depicted as old as they are in tye first place.

Comment

Well, Raker was ancient, but I haven't seen him in a while.

Comment

^^^ I'd take Raker and THAT origin for the GLC over every bit of the crap we've got now. There was a Tamaranian among his group as well. The girl looked more like a Tamaranian than the Tigorr knock-off in Green Lanterns.

~//V\\~

Comment

I always thought Raker was depicted as too old too. I could buy he was trapped there for centuries, maybe a millenia, but millions of years? Its just silly.

Comment

Wasn't that story told from a 3rd person narrative? Who said that omnipotent fuck didn't have their facts wrong? LOL

And even if a Lantern who's thousands of years old is 'silly', that's STILL better than the garbage we're getting in our corner of the DCU. That guy in the ancient Lanterns group that looked like a Czarnian... is supposed to be a white Martian?! Now they want me to believe the white Martians are millions of years old? That's just as ridiculous as the ancient Lanterns.

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
                      ...Now they want me to believe the white Martians are millions of years old? That's just as ridiculous as the ancient Lanterns. . .
                      When I first saw him, I was thinking "he looks like a White Martian, but that's silly."

Comment

He looked like Lobo trying to hide his ID to me...

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
                          One of my favorite one off ideas during the John's era was win Vril Dox got a yellow ring and became a member of the Sinestro Corps. I always envisioned Dox being a powerful member of the SC and one day making a bid for outright leadership, since he would be backed by his L.E.G.I.O.N. The idea of merging a Coluan level intellect with a power ring for me is even more fascinating than putting a power ring on a Kryptonian or Daxamite. I would like to see the GLC come into contact/conflict with the L.E.G.I.O.N because I want to see the Corps go up against something other than other corps for a while. The idea of the GLC being in competition with a character as complex as Dox would be enjoyable.
                          There were a few good ideas during Blackest Night that were discarded at the end of the run, or during the Brightest Day/War of the Lanterns/Third Army fiasco. I could have accepted a Virl Dox Sinestro Corps takeover, as well as the Mongul attempted takeover.

The current Soranik Natu leadership is overblown and not at all what was seen in Soranik's struggles with her father.

If there is a secret book kept by the DC editors, it seems to be "Kyle will never have a girlfriend" and "As soon as sales drop, shake up everything, no matter what has been promised before".

Ancient Lanterns - isn't this what the Annuals of the GLC was all about?

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
                            ^^^ I'd take Raker and THAT origin for the GLC over every bit of the crap we've got now. There was a Tamaranian among his group as well. The girl looked more like a Tamaranian than the Tigorr knock-off in Green Lanterns.

~//V\\~
                            Though technically, Raker's story wasn't of the origin of the GLC, it was simply the expansion of its numbers. However, I'm a bit disappointed that Rori Dag seems to have fallen completely out of continuity.

Comment

And as always, the question is, where are you going to put these characters? There's no camera time available for them since Geoff brought in the emotional spectrum and Baz and Cruz.

His stuff has crowded almost everything else off the pages.

Comment

Working...
                              X