Movies and TV

Old 08-05-2019, 11:03 PM   #1
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Default CW's Crisis on Infinite Earths

Old 08-05-2019, 11:04 PM   #2
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Deadline: “Arrow” Final Season: Episode 8 Crosses Over, 9 and 10 Provide “Proper Finale,” Producers Say – TCA
Quote:
At today’s TCA panel on Arrow’s much ballyhooed final season, the panelists – stars Stephen Amell and David Ramsey, EPs Beth Schwartz and Marc Guggenheim – added no details to the day’s earlier news about the CW looking for another title for next season set in the Arrowverse, as well as a possible spinoff.

Producers and stars confirmed earlier comments from CW President Mark Pedowitz that they were ending the show because they believe it has reached a natural conclusion. “We didn’t want to be that show that stays too long at the party,” Guggenheim said.

Schwartz said that in anticipation of the final season, Season 7 wrapped up “the show as people have understood it, I think it ended in our Season 7 finale.” She described the final 10 episodes as “greatest hits” with frequent returning guests and “tying up stories you could have seen in Season 2 or 3.” “(They are) fundamentally different. The episodes are events,” she said.

Guggenheim identified Episode 8 (808) as the previously -announced crossover episode with its fellow DC series, which Guggenheim is writing with Marv Wolfman.

After the session, Guggenheim said the final two episodes will not connect with Episode 8. “Episode 9 is very specific, we know exactly what happens in it” although it is too early to reveal details, he said. Episode 10 will be “a proper series finale,” he added.

Schwartz confirmed guest casting discussions happening across the DC universe but that crossover casting remains incomplete and producers ere not ready to reveal any more return visits or final casting for Season 8.

After the session, Guggenheim confirmed discussions with DC and Warner Bros. about a Lynda Carter return, but said he did not think that would happen. However, in a discussion with reporters after the session, he complained mildly about rumors spawned by “illegitimate outlet” Cosmic Book News when it announced that Carter as Wonder Woman and Tom Welling’s Superman were definitely cast for Season 8.

“I don’t ever comment on casting, but it always vexes me if an illegitimate outlet just makes up stuff,” he said.
EW: Brandon Routh returns as Superman for Crisis on Infinite Earths Arrowverse crossover
Quote:
To handle something called a Crisis on Infinite Earths, the architects of the Arrowverse are bringing in not one, but two Supermen for the upcoming crossover event.

Brandon Routh, who starred as DC’s Man of Steel in Bryan Singer’s Superman Returns film in 2006, will again don the crimson cape as the iconic character in Crisis on Infinity Earths, EW has learned. Now, Routh already stars on DC’s Legends of Tomorrow as Ray Palmer/The Atom, so how will this work, especially when Tyler Hoechlin plays Superman in the Arrowverse on The CW?

Here’s how… Both Routh and Hoechlin will play two versions of Superman, each from a different time frame.

“Honored, humbled, grateful, and still pinching myself,” Routh tweeted of his big reveal.

Deadline was the first to report the news.

Crisis on Infinite Earths, based on the DC Comics universe-changing storyline of the same name, will play out across Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, and the upcoming Batwoman series (starring Ruby Rose in the title role). The five-hour event will air over two months: three episodes in December and two in January 2020.

The Flash executive producer Eric Wallace told EW of the show’s forthcoming October premiere, “We found really unique ways to make the season fresh that we never expected, thanks to Crisis. This season is really divided up in a way that the episodes before the crossover are pre-Crisis episodes. Then the back half of the season is all about dealing with the fallout from the events of Crisis.”

The Flash, Supergirl, Arrow, and Batwoman will air this fall on The CW.
The Wrap: ‘Crisis on Infinite Earths’ Crossover Adds ‘Black Lightning’ and Bruce Wayne
Quote:
“Black Lightning” is finally joining the “Arrowverse.”

The upcoming “Crisis on Infinite Earths” crossover will feature characters from “Black Lightning,” making their first appearance as part The CW’s larger shared universe that includes “Arrow,” “The Flash” and “Supergirl,” the network announced Sunday morning during the Television Critics Association press tour.

Additionally, Kevin Conroy will make an appearance on the five-hour event as Batman himself: Bruce Wayne. Conroy, who is well known for providing the voice for the Caped Crusader in “Batman: The Animated Series” and “Batman Beyond,” will appear as Bruce Wayne from the future.

As previously announced, “Crisis on Infinite Earths” will also feature Brandon Routh as an alternative version of Superman (along with his “Legends of Tomorrow” role as Ray Palmer/The Atom) and Burt Ward in an unknown role. Ward played Robin in the 1960s “Batman” TV show with Adam West.

The network also unveiled the rollout schedule, which will begin Dec. 8 with “Supergirl.” That will be followed by “Batwoman” and “The Flash” on Dec. 9 and 10, respectively. “Crisis on Infinite Earths” will wrap up on Jan. 14 with “Arrow” — airing its series finale — and “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow” going back-to-back.

The “Crisis on Infinite Earths” crossover, one of DC Comics most famous storylines, will be The CW’s biggest. It will span five hours across all five “Arrowverse” shows, including newcomer “Batwoman,” and carry over the midseason break. It’s expected to be the last appearance for Stephen Amell’s Oliver Queen/Arrow, whose own series is ending its run after eight seasons.

Created by Marv Wolfman and George Perez, “Crisis on Infinite Earths” was a best-selling 12-issue series running from 1985 to 1986 that replaced the DC multiverse, which since 1961’s “The Flash of Two Worlds” had explained the company’s varying and contradictory continuities, with a single streamlined universe and a complete reboot of most DC characters. It was a critical hit and a best-seller for DC and is credited with popularizing the idea of large-scale crossovers in comics.

In the series, The Anti-Monitor, the evil counterpart of The Monitor (played by LaMonica Garrett in the “Arrowverse”), attempts to destroy all of the different universes with the goal of becoming the sole ruler of whatever is left. He’s eventually foiled but at a staggering cost: The surviving five universes are merged into one, and a huge number of classic DC characters are killed off, seemingly for good — including both Supergirl and Barry Allen/The Flash.

Last edited by Hypo; 08-05-2019 at 11:09 PM.
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:01 AM   #3
Space Cop
The Dandy

^I'd love to see Conroy in live action, but I don't watch any of these shows, so it seems pointless to tune in for it.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-06-2019 at 01:03 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:41 AM   #4
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

I watched half a season of Arrow and a bit over one season of Flash, and I seriously consider catching up for this.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 02:24 PM   #5
IonFan
Forum Member

this is gonna be epic, hope we can get to see atleast one GL in it

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 03:00 PM   #6
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Well, it's not going to be Reynolds. So who would it be? Matthew Settle?
Old 08-06-2019, 04:53 PM   #7
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

I'm all the way caught up (beyond Supergirl, which I really tried my damndest to power through a year ago... I just couldn't make it) with all things, so very much looking forward to this.

I think the people really getting excited about this character or that character showing up are probably setting themselves up for disappointment.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:45 PM   #8
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I've already given up on everything but Flash, and that's hanging by a thread. If this crossover requires me to be up to date on any of the other shows, it may just be the thing that makes me give up entirely.
Old 08-06-2019, 06:59 PM   #9
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I've already given up on everything but Flash, and that's hanging by a thread. If this crossover requires me to be up to date on any of the other shows, it may just be the thing that makes me give up entirely.
I suspect the genesis of it is for the opposite reason... i.e., it's going to be designed for casual fans, or people who have never seen any Arrowverse episodes.

Which they need to, apparently... all of the Arrowverse shows' ratings are in the toilet.

Arrow:

Season 1 averaged 3.7 million in ratings
Season 2 averaged 3.3 million in ratings
Season 3 averaged 3.5 million in ratings
Season 4 averaged 2.9 million in ratings
Season 5 averaged 2.2 million in ratings
Season 6 averaged 1.8 million in ratings
Season 7 averaged 1.2 million in ratings

Flash:

Season 1 averaged 4.6 million in ratings
Season 2 averaged 4.3 million in ratings
Season 3 averaged 3.5 million in ratings
Season 4 averaged 3.0 million in ratings
Season 5 averaged 1.7 million in ratings

Legends of Tomorrow:

Season 1 averaged 3.2 million in ratings
Season 2 averaged 2.6 million in ratings
Season 3 averaged 2.2 million in ratings
Season 4 averaged 0.9 million in ratings

Supergirl:

Season 1 averaged 9.8 million viewers.
Season 2 averaged 3.1 million viewers.
Season 3 averaged 2.8 million viewers.

Supergirl, season 4?

0.9 million viewers.

Black Lightning averaged about 1.5 million for season 1, and the last half of season 2 was pulling 0.9s and 0.8s. And there might not be a Legends of Tomorrow still around to ship Supergirl off to if she loses her show.

Kind of seems like the whole CW verse is in jeopardy.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:50 PM   #10
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I jumped off Flash a few seasons ago. The writing was just awful. And that has always been by far the best of these shows. ButI will probably watch all 5 parts of this Crisis crossover for nostalgic reasons, mixed with morbid curiosity.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:39 PM   #11
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

How are other shows doing? Is this just a symptom of people cutting cord and waiting for the whole season to be bingeable on Netflix?
Old 08-06-2019, 11:42 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
How are other shows doing? Is this just a symptom of people cutting cord and waiting for the whole season to be bingeable on Netflix?
Could be... but if you look at all of the Arrowverse shows, it's like a freefall. At the current trajectory, most of the Arrowverse shows will be pulling 0.5s next season... yikes!
Old 08-06-2019, 11:43 PM   #13
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:

Taken from here: https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/c...eason-ratings/
Old 08-07-2019, 04:02 AM   #14
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I jumped off Flash a few seasons ago. The writing was just awful.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:29 AM   #15
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
this is gonna be epic, hope we can get to see atleast one GL in it
Quote:
Well, it's not going to be Reynolds. So who would it be? Matthew Settle?
Based on revelations made during Arrow season 7, we've actually had a GL in the Arrowverse since Arrow's pilot episode.

In the Elseworlds crossover, Earth-90 Flash (the Flash from the ill fated 1990 TV show) saw John Diggle and said, "John! It's so good to see you! Where's your ring?" Later in the season they double down on this when it is revealed that John's step-father is a one General Stewart, thus making it official that John Diggle has actually been an Elseworlds John Stewart all along.

As such, it is highly likely that we will see a John, ring on hand, full blown GL during the Crisis event. Whether it's Diggle getting a ring, himself, or just another version of him from the multiverse coming to help is the only real question.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:45 AM   #16
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
As such, it is highly likely that we will see a John, ring on hand, full blown GL during the Crisis event.
I think we might just. This whole crossover seems like a last ditch desperation move by a CW that is putting all of the Arrowverse shows on life support just to be able to do it, crossing their fingers that the hype around it will give all of them a good bump.

Though WB has this weird aversion for allowing GL at all anywhere, even in their damn Justice League movie. So who knows. Chickenshits.
Old 08-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #17
Space Cop
The Dandy

^^Yeah. At one point I thought I would watch any live-action (or animated) appearance of GL, but I don't watch any of the shows and I don't want to catch up. I suppose if the episode in question hits Netflix, I could watch it out of context.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:05 PM   #18
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

I really can't recommend any of last season's shows. Arrow was pointless (plus they brought in Adrian Paul -- the freaking Highlander -- and killed him off in 2 episodes embarassingly), Flash was notably terrible (who even was the big bad? the dagger dad and daughter duo were laughably bad), and Legends seemed... maybe more interested in agenda than actually delivering good stories, taking a page from Supergirl (of which I was not able to get more than about 8 episodes into, and I was trying hard). Also, their budget seemed to have been cut in half... Legends used to deliver big movie kind of feats and there was none of that this last season. I don't know that it's worked as well without Rip Hunter at all... he kind of held the ridiculousness of it all together in a way that Sara Lance doesn't, remotely.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #19
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

When they announced they were bringing in Adrian chase and had Vigilante debut I figured I would be forced to watch Arrow with toothpicks in my eyelids. I didn't stick around long when I saw the swerve they pulled with the character. I jumped ship toot sweet and never stayed for the end of his arc.

I figured I would get an Arrowverse Vigilante action figure from DCDirect as a consolation prize, but even that never happened.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #20
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
When they announced they were bringing in Adrian chase and had Vigilante
I actually really dug Adrian Chase on the show. He seemed legitimately formidable. That was like 3 seasons ago now, though, wasn't it?

Although he was pretty far removed from the "real" Prometheus.

Quote:
I figured I would get an Arrowverse Vigilante action figure from DCDirect as a consolation prize, but even that never happened.
Vigilante was barely a footnote on the show, really. Mostly just there to give Dinah Drake some backstory/an actual storyline of her own.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:02 PM   #21
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I really can't recommend any of last season's shows. Arrow was pointless (plus they brought in Adrian Paul -- the freaking Highlander -- and killed him off in 2 episodes embarassingly), Flash was notably terrible (who even was the big bad? the dagger dad and daughter duo were laughably bad), and Legends seemed... maybe more interested in agenda than actually delivering good stories, taking a page from Supergirl (of which I was not able to get more than about 8 episodes into, and I was trying hard). Also, their budget seemed to have been cut in half... Legends used to deliver big movie kind of feats and there was none of that this last season. I don't know that it's worked as well without Rip Hunter at all... he kind of held the ridiculousness of it all together in a way that Sara Lance doesn't, remotely.
See, and here I feel like Legends got better once Rip left, not because he's gone, but because it's like the writers realized that it's their "weird show" where weird stuff happens. Season 3 was the best, with all the Beebo stuff, but season 4 was enjoyable, as well, especially with all the Constantine stuff, and with the set up for next season, I'm hoping for some more crazy. Honestly, it's probably my favorite show of the lot.

Concerning Flash and Supergirl, Flash couldn't have done worse than DeVoe, in my opinion, and so it was a step up from the previous season, but some of it felt a bit forced. I haven't managed to finish Supergirl, yet, but I feel like it was also better than the season prior. Yes it's tackling agendas left right and center, but it's more consistent in writing quality than the Reign story was.

With Arrow, I enjoyed most of it, but I have massive blinders on for this show. It's gotten to the point where I could rip it apart more thoroughly than most, being a Team Arrow centric comic fan for so long, but seeing Ollie and Roy in live action just makes me keep watching on and on. Bringing in Emiko was a baffling decision, but aside from wasting Adrian Paul, I thought the present day story was solid enough. Plus they got to do the Green Arrow in Supermax plot from the unproduced film, so that was something.

The flashforward future story, used like the flashbacks were originally, was an interesting idea, but it reveled in the show's alterations so much that it kind of began to annoy me. Revealing her to be Mia, only to make her Ollie's daughter, thus not Mia (but obviously Mia), felt excruciatingly awkward, and they somehow managed to muddy up Connor Hawke's identity even more than Legends did. Meanwhile William (he who should have been Connor) was just sort of there, but yeah. It all definitely feels like set up for a potential series to be titled Star City 2040, or something, but it shouldn't be. I mean, I'll watch it, because I watch all these shows (even if I'm slow on the go, like with Supergirl and Black Lightning), but it would be poor decision, methinks.

And as for Black Lightning... I mean... it's there, too. Woohoo?
Here's hoping Batwoman will be as good as it looks.
Old 08-07-2019, 05:12 PM   #22
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
See, and here I feel like Legends got better once Rip left, not because he's gone, but because it's like the writers realized that it's their "weird show" where weird stuff happens. Season 3 was the best, with all the Beebo stuff, but season 4 was enjoyable, as well, especially with all the Constantine stuff, and with the set up for next season, I'm hoping for some more crazy. Honestly, it's probably my favorite show of the lot.
Season 3 was solid. This latest one... eh, not so much. I do really love that Asian werewolf lady they've brought in.

Quote:
Concerning Flash and Supergirl, Flash couldn't have done worse than DeVoe, in my opinion,
Really? I mean, they really only had about 12 episodes of story and a metric ton of filler, but I thought the Thinker was awesome.

This latest season, it is just dad and daughter. With a knife. Who literally jump off screen (I guess we're supposed to imagine they fly off?).

Quote:
With Arrow, I enjoyed most of it, but I have massive blinders on for this show. It's gotten to the point where I could rip it apart more thoroughly than most, being a Team Arrow centric comic fan for so long, but seeing Ollie and Roy in live action just makes me keep watching on and on. Bringing in Emiko was a baffling decision, but aside from wasting Adrian Paul, I thought the present day story was solid enough. Plus they got to do the Green Arrow in Supermax plot from the unproduced film, so that was something.
The prison episodes were good, I'll admit. Particularly that last one with the breakout.

Kind of funny, I watch Riverdale and they did the same exact story at the same exact time. The prison guards where Archie was at had a secret, illegal fight club as well.

Quote:
The flashforward future story, used like the flashbacks were originally, was an interesting idea, but it reveled in the show's alterations so much that it kind of began to annoy me. Revealing her to be Mia, only to make her Ollie's daughter, thus not Mia (but obviously Mia), felt excruciatingly awkward, and they somehow managed to muddy up Connor Hawke's identity even more than Legends did. Meanwhile William (he who should have been Connor) was just sort of there, but yeah. It all definitely feels like set up for a potential series to be titled Star City 2040, or something, but it shouldn't be. I mean, I'll watch it, because I watch all these shows (even if I'm slow on the go, like with Supergirl and Black Lightning), but it would be poor decision, methinks.
I hated the flash forward stuff. Finally Green Arrow's flashbacks caught up with the beginning of season 1 and we can finally shed "flashes" altogether and focus on the present... and they add flash forwards?

Also, what are the odds... both Oliver's son and Barry's daughter both end up gay in the future?

Quote:
And as for Black Lightning... I mean... it's there, too. Woohoo?
I've seen a few of season 1. It's alright.

Quote:
Here's hoping Batwoman will be as good as it looks.
As in a big steaming pile of angry, agenda-filled nonsense? That looks like a bad cosplay?
Old 08-07-2019, 05:28 PM   #23
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

I'm actually a couple of episodes into season 2 of Black Lightning. It's not bad, theres just not a lot to say about it. It's perfectly settled into its own mediocrity that it sort of exemplifies the bulk of the modern superhero genre. It's there, and that's about all there is to say.