X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue out. poll up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
      Just so I know how to weight this review, are you a fan of Parallax as a character?
      I am, I love the original Zero Hour era Parallax. And this issue quickly takes us back to the Rebirth Parallax, essentially ruining the return or potential benefits of the original coming back. Maybe host Hal will fight against the entity more going forward, but for now? This was a major disappointment and pretty sad.
      "My mind is deluged with thoughts of Heaven and Hell,
      Crime and Punishment, Damnation and Redemption. Hal
      Jordan... And The Spectre.

I'm dead, yet I live. I have no identity. Yet I know
      who I am. And once again I've been given power enough
      to change the world. This time, Lord...
      Let me be worthy."

Comment

Originally posted by "Chosen" View Post
        Hal's Brother is cross eyed.

Technically I believe that is "wall-eyed".

Comment

Just the page before that I thought there was a good panel showing Hal's emotion.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if Tan's wildly inconsistent faces are due to him swiping on occasion. The first shot of young Hal before his family shows up looks good, but Tan doesn't usually draw faces like that. He usually draws then in his neo-anime, young-looking, lacking in detail faces. (Hal's brother is a good example of the kind of default faces Tan draws when he's not trying very hard)

But anyway ... for awhile I've been nervous that they were going to pull an "Old Man Logan" on us and have Hallax become the featured Hal going forward. For a second in this issue, I became concerned that we'd get "Superior Hal Jordan" where Parallax's mind was going to be in Nu52 Hal's body. I will admit, the place where we ended up was a bit surprising. Who knows if any of it will stick around after "Rebirth."

Overall, this was disappointing, but that's been the case throughout this run. I don't think Venditti is very good. His stories just lack any drama or complexity. And foaming at the mouth Parallax is so boring compared to a morally ambiguous Parallax who challenges your ideas of right and wrong. (hence the name - he's supposed to challenge your perceptions!) I'm glad Hal has an interesting new development. Too bad the last one (the whole renegade thing) was such a snoozefest. (that one issue with the Thanagarians was the only decent example of what Renegade Hal stories could have been, imo)

Comment

Ok... I've read this a few times now and I'm not seeing the point of the issue. According to solicits for 51 and 52, Hal is suppose to face off against a new threat called the Gray Agents in a two part story. There's no mention of Parallax. After this issue, he just... flies off. This cannot be the end... can it?

Venditti is trash.

Comment

Let's see what happens in Telos #6. At least they didn't "kill off" Parallax, so we know he'll be back. And as usual, the best art in the book is by whoever isn't named Billy Tan.

Let me be worthy."

Comment

I don't like the theme of this issue being that Hal is all about control and exerting his will ... what the f**k?!? Say what you want about Johns, he seemed to get Hal and that his attributes were actually positive and makes him a hero, rather than show us why he's a potential villain. Boo.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectremjm View Post
                    Let's see what happens in Telos #6. At least they didn't "kill off" Parallax, so we know he'll be back. And as usual, the best art in the book is by whoever isn't named Billy Tan.
                    Lol I don't get why you keep thinking something significant is going to happen in Telos. It's written by Jeff King...it's automatically a non-factor.

Didn't know this but apparently the last 3 GL#50's have had Parallax on the cover:

Comment

It isn't that I think something will happen of relevance, it is more hoping it will. I agree, King has no clue what to do with or how to write Parallax.

Yep, Parallax on #50 is a tradition. LOL

Let me be worthy."

Comment

There was also a major mistake in this issue that slipped right by me at first. Hal tells Parallax that everything that he remembered happening to Coast City in his universe did happen here too, but they rebuilt. In the New 52, Coast City was never destroyed.

Let me be worthy."

Comment

Originally posted by Spectremjm View Post
                          There was also a major mistake in this issue that slipped right by me at first. Hal tells Parallax that everything that he remembered happening to Coast City in his universe did happen here too, but they rebuilt. In the New 52, Coast City was never destroyed.
                          You sure? I thought it was.

Comment

This was certainly an underwhelming issue 50. A big fight that had no real conclusion and just ended with Parallax flying off? Then some confusing junk where Hal goes all green and transparent, then makes a big effort of will to look normal again...and then is green and transparent again a couple panels later with no transition? Huh?

Comment

Goku didn't understand how he transitioned to Super Sayian at first either. But very underwhelming issue.

Comment

Yeah - that is confusing. It doesn't help that on the last page, energy Hal has no mask, then energy Hal has a mask in the closeup.

Is there any chance energy Hal separated from panting on the ground non-energy Hal? Otherwise it doesn't make a lot of sense...

Comment

Working...
                                X