The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 05-27-2018, 06:10 AM   #1
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Question The Corps Retitled?

Remember when Morrison took over the Justice League and it was rebranded the JLA? Should the Green Lantern Corps follow suit and the next volume be called 'GLC'?

In my mind, the GLC should be the premiere title of the franchise since it's the one all the others are tied to. With the movie coming out focusing more on the Corps, I think it should be a good bit better than it has been. What we currently know about the future of the Corps is scarce. HJ&theGLC is ending at #50 while GLs seems to be continuing to the point of cancellation [putting Jurgens on the title all but guarantees this]. And Grant Morrison will be writing something of a new GL title, with a rumored theme of Hal investigating the degeneration of the universe/multiverse. John is in the new JL title. Cruz is in the JL:O spin-off title in space.

Kyle, Guy, and Baz's roles moving forward are unknown at this point. As well as the rest of the GLC. Will the Corps get shelved until closer to the movie's premiere?

[this turned into more of an open discussion of the Corps moving forward and not just the title thing, obviously... lol]

- Ω
Old 05-29-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
Star-Lantern
Hal's Understudy

If Green Lantern Corps is relaunched, I think it should be called "Green Lantern Corps". Though, if it was up to me, I would change the logo to something based on the 1980s logo to signify the comic won't just be more of the same that fans have more or less gotten for over a decade:

If the title returns, DC will have to do something to give potential readers an incentive to buy that book. Being Green Lantern B title doesn't cut it anymore.

Ever since the relaunch of the GLC book during the Johns years, I have always liked Green Lantern Corps more than Green Lantern, so I do hope the book returns and with an exciting new direction. Whether it will or not can go either way, in my opinion. Due to lack of sales, I can see DC shelving it for now, and the characters WB seems most interested in adapting right now (Hal Jordan, John Stewart, and Jessica Cruz) are already secured with other roles in the DC Universe.

As for the Green Lantern Corps movie, I will believe it is actually happening when someone is actually cast. It's rather late now for pretty much no concrete, definitive news to be released for that film that assures that WB is moving forward with it.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 05-29-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 05:12 PM   #3
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Just "Green Lantern" is probably more elegant.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:44 PM   #4
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
Just "Green Lantern" is probably more elegant.
As I said in another thread, it seems that Green Lanterns will continue, that Dan Jurgens will write it, and that Hal will join the cast.

If that's true and if there's going to be a second GL title written by Grant Morrison, then Green Lantern doesn't seem like a good name for it. Neither does anything to do with the Green Lantern Corps, which has a poor track record for selling comics.

My worst nightmare though is that it'll be called The Emotional Spectrum. I wouldn't put it past DC to do that.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:43 PM   #5
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I'm guessing that HJ&TGLC is scheduled to end first, and GLs will go a few months longer but will end when Morrison's new project is ready to go.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:20 PM   #6
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Yeah, with Jessica joining the cast of Justice League Odyssey, the days of Green Lanterns seem to be numbered anyway.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:18 PM   #7
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I think you guys are indulging in wishful thinking about Green Lanterns going away, but we'll see.
Old 06-01-2018, 01:33 AM   #8
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Anything written by Jurgens doesn't even last 12 issues before getting canned, Superman comics excluded. Aquaman and the Others made it to #11 before getting canceled, and his Firestorm lasted what... 7 or 8 issues before getting the ax?

Jurgens is a cool guy and one of the main creators I associate with Superman comics of the last three decades. That doesn't make him qualified to save a dying GL related title.

- Ω
Old 06-01-2018, 10:47 PM   #9
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ωmega Man View Post
Anything written by Jurgens doesn't even last 12 issues before getting canned, Superman comics excluded. Aquaman and the Others made it to #11 before getting canceled, and his Firestorm lasted what... 7 or 8 issues before getting the ax?

Jurgens is a cool guy and one of the main creators I associate with Superman comics of the last three decades. That doesn't make him qualified to save a dying GL related title.

- Ω
two volumes of batman beyond, booster gold, and teen titans would disagree
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:27 PM   #10
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I feel like he was probably brought on with the arrangement being that he will wrap up the last few months of the title before it ends and the big relaunch happens. Nothing wrong with that.

If DC sits you down and says, "hey we need a guy to do a solid job and it will be for 6 issues to bide time until the next big push, can you help us out?" Why wouldnt he do it? Jurgens has always been a company man.

DC can end one title, but they probably want to keep one GL title on the stands in the meantime until Morrison's gig is ready to roll. So they move Hal into the remaining book to keep him out there. Makes sense to me.
Old 06-02-2018, 04:38 AM   #11
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I'd say Jurgens is hit or miss but... he just doesn't have that many hits at all. He only wrote issues #15-31 of that Booster Gold series and that was coming off of the initial run beginning with a ten issue arc (as well as a #0 issue) written by none other than Geoff Johns. I only bring up Aquaman & the Others and Firestorm because it's more recent.

You wanna bring up his latest run of Batman Beyond (which I think is his most recent work) as a counterpoint? That's so off my radar I didn't even know he was the one writing it! The first issue sold a solid 60k + before losing nearly a third of it's readers by issue #2 with 41k + in sales. Issue #3 had just under 33k in sales. Skip forward to issue #10 and it's down to just under 23k + in sales. Look at the most recent issue I can find the numbers for and you're looking at a whopping 16k + in sales for issue #19.

Yeah.... you think THAT track record is gonna save GLs?!

I'll give you that Booster Gold series, but that sold because of the timing around Infinite Crisis and the whole 'see the future of the DCU on Rip Hunter's chalk board' gimmick. If you're talking about that 90's era Teen Titans that had losers like Risk and the teen aged Atom... that's always been remembered as one of the franchise' low points.

EDIT: And before anybody thinks I'm just hating on the guy, I'm actually a fan of a good deal of his work. His stuff around the time of Death and Return of Superman was awesome. And despite nearly everyone hating the idea of a teen Ray Palmer, I bought into it just like I did the de-aged Alan Scott. I also really wish DC would've tried harder with the Others spin-off.

- Ω

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 06-02-2018 at 04:44 AM.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #12
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I don't think for a second DC is even THINKING about how to save a title that has dipped to 24k a month in units ordered. Not when the easy answer is to end the title and replace it with a new #1. They arent going to the trouble of hiring Grant Morrison, replacing ONE title with a new #1...but not the OTHER one. If they are doing this, the smart thing to do is go all the way and see how much the sister title can ride off the coat tails of the flagship one.

It's far too much work to bring back readers to a dying title. Not when so many of them are marks for #1s.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:13 PM   #13
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I don't think for a second DC is even THINKING about how to save a title that has dipped to 24k a month in units ordered. Not when the easy answer is to end the title and replace it with a new #1. They arent going to the trouble of hiring Grant Morrison, replacing ONE title with a new #1...but not the OTHER one. If they are doing this, the smart thing to do is go all the way and see how much the sister title can ride off the coat tails of the flagship one.

It's far too much work to bring back readers to a dying title. Not when so many of them are marks for #1s.
As I said in another thread, I think it's really selling only 19K.

But what you're missing is, this is not about the sales. It's about DC displaying its virtue.

They printed Blue Beetle and Cyborg until the sales dropped to 8K. I bet they'll do that with Green Lanterns too.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:46 PM   #14
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

You have a good point there. I don't think its so much about virtue as it is a business decision to keep those characters out there in the public though. Cyborg is in the movie Justice League and kids Titans show. Lots of toys of him out there. And there was a lot of effort put into several pushes for that version of Blue Beetle. The reason I concede your point is they are just now starting to push Jessica in other mediums and that train doesn't stop easily.

I don't think that will stop DC from ending Green Lanterns. But I do think it's very likely Jessica will end up with either her own title or some high profile spot in other titles.

Kids wont know Jessica Cruz is a total stereotype for all women being crazy, all they will see is a girl GL in toys and cartoons.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #15
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I just want the cover to be less of an eyesore and for the next comic featuring the Corps to be retitled GLC to set it apart from everything that's come before.

- Ω