Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 07-31-2019, 11:47 AM   #7951
Space Cop
The Dandy

Overlord (2018)

"A thousand year army and it's thousand year soldiers."

So so WWII horror undermined by ridiculously showing the Airborne as fully integrated at this point in history (D Day).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Malibu Express (1985) ...

"All right, it's these hands. They're the lethal weapons.
-Yeah, just be careful when you play with yourself."

Started the collection last night and loved this movie. It really can't be explained. Should be able to watch HttH soon.

Quote:
....Abilene can't hit a target the entire film except for twice pretty late into things. This goes from a joke trait to being pretty fucking stupid because multiple times he's in gunfights but cannot hit guys five feet away from him...
That running gag was a actually a nice bit. You'd expect in a movie like this for Abilene to be one of those ridiculously unbeatable heroes, but he's only a so-so detective, a decent fighter if he surprises his enemy, and a lousy shot. I think it was clever of Sidaris to start out that way and show you this is no Rambo.

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-04-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:11 PM   #7952
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

For me, Hard Ticket is the superior film in terms of schlock writing, sex, and action being balanced out by actual film-making. I still need to finish watching Picasso Trigger, but even as early in as I am, the writing for that is actually very solid. If anything, Sidaris improved as he went along (but I have to admit Trigger is only the third in a 12-film set).
Old 08-01-2019, 12:39 AM   #7953
Space Cop
The Dandy

Crazy Heart (2009)

"Whole worlds have been tamed by men who ate biscuits."

Missed this ten years ago, but I see why it garnered new talk for Bridges. Good stuff.

Knock Knock (2015)

"I'm from Oakland, ho."

Meh.

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-06-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:16 AM   #7954
Samta
Corps Recruit

I watched Euphoria from HBO. Really interesting one
Samta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 01:40 PM   #7955
Space Cop
The Dandy

Picasso Trigger (1988)

"Didn't I tell you Jade, I've got a black belt in shotgun."

Quote:
Hard Ticket to Hawaii (1987)

"If brains were bird shit, you'd have a clean cage!"

My one boss told me he saw on Facebook a film clip about this dude taking a gunman out with a razor-edged Frisbee ... I should have started with Malibu Express, which is the first in my Andy Sidaris B-film collection, but whatever. Here's what happens in the film ...
And they have a weird continuity. Based on what the ladies say, I guess the Abilene in this is related to the one in ME, but that's also a movie in this world . . . in which that cousin played himself?! It was weird since ME set up that he was going to Hawaii to follow up on Cybil Danning's work. I figured that would be where this movie was going, but nope.

Quote:

Two hunk boyfriends are called in by agency to provide backup to crack the case. . .
It's kind of cool how the guys come second to the ladies in this one despite there still being plenty of TnA exploitation.

Quote:
This film is absolute schlock but it has some hilarious content. The intro was pure cut-rate (signs taped to boxes being carried around a warehouse), and there's enough titties here to qualify this as softcore, but you get great location shots (it was filmed in Hawaii) and it's dumb fun.
Yeah, it was lensed very professionally (beautiful use of the location) and cut together, yet plotwise feels thrown together with the weird snake side story and such. Then there's backstory that seems like it could have been used, but is dropped in way late (like the bad guy being half English and half Chinese or Abilene's friend clearly having ninja training and beliefs).

Quote:
For me, Hard Ticket is the superior film in terms of schlock writing, sex, and action being balanced out by actual film-making. I still need to finish watching Picasso Trigger, but even as early in as I am, the writing for that is actually very solid. If anything, Sidaris improved as he went along (but I have to admit Trigger is only the third in a 12-film set).
Yeah, probably, but I liked ME. Maybe it helped I saw it first. It doesn't have anything quite like the bazooka (and who takes a bazooka to fight in a living room?!) to the blow-up doll.

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-04-2019 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:48 AM   #7956
robojac
Corps Honor Guard

Shazam! (2019)

robojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:50 PM   #7957
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Sixth Sense (1999)

"I didn't know you were funny."

20th anniversary (8/2). Man, I remember how much of a talking point this movie was that summer (and I did see it in theaters (between my freshman and sophomore college years).

Clear and Present Danger (1994)

"I'm sorry, Mr. President, I don't dance."

And 25th anniversary (8/3).

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-13-2019 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:59 AM   #7958
robojac
Corps Honor Guard

Blade Runner: The Final Cut (2007)

RIP Rutger Hauer
robojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:49 PM   #7959
Space Cop
The Dandy

Savage Beach (1989)

"Don't spend it all in one piece!"

Rock n Roll High School (1979)

"Things sure have changed since we got kicked out of high school."

Turned 40 (on 8/4). Good flick for Ramones fans since the original line-up appears in it and their music throughout.

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-13-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #7960
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

I've been on a war movie kick. Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Hamburger Hill, Apocalypse Now Redux.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 04:12 PM   #7961
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

My review of Hobbs & Shaw.

https://herecast.us/982194
Old 08-07-2019, 04:22 PM   #7962
Space Cop
The Dandy

Guns (1990)

"How did you learn to shoot like that?
-Daddy."

Chuck (2016)

"Sometimes life is really like a movie and sometimes it's better."

A pretty good bio-pic about the man (Wepner) who went the distance with Ali.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I've been on a war movie kick. Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, Hamburger Hill, Apocalypse Now Redux.
Vietnam war pix specifically. I love them (and reading about that war).

Old 08-07-2019, 10:23 PM   #7963
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Haven't seen Platoon or Hamburger Hill, really should get around to it. Don't need to see Jacket again for a good while yet. AN Redux was almost painfully slow and didn't need the extra hour, frankly.

And now that I remember it, haven't seen Thin Red Line.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:52 PM   #7964
Space Cop
The Dandy

Stan and Ollie (2018)

"It was just the two of us. All we had was each other."

Excellent movie. Although I know a lot of other old comedy acts, I know very little about Laurel and Hardy, but this movie made them interesting and made me want to watch the original material.

Way Out West (1937)

"Tell me, tell me about my dear, dear Daddy! Is it true that he's dead?
-Well, we hope he is, they buried him."

Quote:
Haven't seen Platoon or Hamburger Hill, really should get around to it. Don't need to see Jacket again for a good while yet. AN Redux was almost painfully slow and didn't need the extra hour, frankly.

And now that I remember it, haven't seen Thin Red Line.
As with Jacket, all three of those movies are depressing. Platoon is top quality. Not only was it written and directed by a man who was actually there,* but he went to great lengths to make it authentic--putting the actors through boot camp and jungle survival and hiring a military advisor who also had 'Nam experience. [*Whatever might be said of Stone's clear left leaning in his movies, he was in the s**t in Vietnam and was awarded a bronze star and purple heart.]
Hamburger Hill isn't as good, but it's worth the watch and it's just as rough. It's based on a real battle and shows the futility of fighting that war as if it were WWII.
There's really only one pro-Vietnam movie (in the sense of "we belonged there")---The Green Berets (also the only one made while the war was still going on). And one movie that I'd say actually balanced the pro and con---We Were Soldiers (also based on a real battle). A lot of vets (especially of the early war) said that movie redressed the imbalance between those two sides (i.e., it wasn't all dope fiends, psychopaths, and rapists on our side).

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-13-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:41 AM   #7965
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

The Hitman's Bodyguard (2017)

"Motherfucker, I AM harm's way."

An elite bodyguard must protect a notorious contract killer so that he can give testimony at the trial of a ruthless dictator. Problem is, the bodyguard and hitman despise each other.

Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson are hilarious in this. Reynolds plays everything so safe and Jackson plays things by ear, this may as well be a by-the-numbers buddy-cop flick, but them each being somewhat shady (Reynolds only caring about being successful and not caring who he works for, Jackson being a paid killer) puts a good spin on the classic setup.

Oldman was fucking evil, too. They made him somewhat resemble Commissioner Gordon, which only made things creepier. Shit, I almost want a film about his character's rise to power as a dark character study.

Very highly recommend.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:52 AM   #7966
Space Cop
The Dandy

Tron (1982)

"Won't that be grand? Computers and the programs will start thinking and the people will stop."

Tron: Legacy (2010)

"Flynn is teaching me about the art of the selfless. About removing oneself from the equation. But between you and me, Jules Verne is my favorite. Do you know Jules Verne?
-Sure.
What's he like?"

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-13-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:06 AM   #7967
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
The Hitman's Bodyguard (2017)

"Motherfucker, I AM harm's way."

An elite bodyguard must protect a notorious contract killer so that he can give testimony at the trial of a ruthless dictator. Problem is, the bodyguard and hitman despise each other.

Ryan Reynolds and Samuel L. Jackson are hilarious in this. Reynolds plays everything so safe and Jackson plays things by ear, this may as well be a by-the-numbers buddy-cop flick, but them each being somewhat shady (Reynolds only caring about being successful and not caring who he works for, Jackson being a paid killer) puts a good spin on the classic setup.

Oldman was fucking evil, too. They made him somewhat resemble Commissioner Gordon, which only made things creepier. Shit, I almost want a film about his character's rise to power as a dark character study.

Very highly recommend.
Really? The trailers looked awful. But I'll give it a shot now.
Old 08-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #7968
Space Cop
The Dandy

Operation Finale (2018)

"It was paperwork."

I knew this story pretty well (and had watched the previous movie on it), but it's still impressive and moving.

[Rifftrax:] Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016/2017)

"It's like someone said they didn't think anyone could make a worse comic-book movie than Steel and Zack Snyder said 'hold my beer.'"

Old 08-12-2019, 12:55 AM   #7969
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Quote:
Really? The trailers looked awful. But I'll give it a shot now.
I don't remember the trailers for it, but I do remember word-of-mouth being fairly positive. I wasn't sure what I expected but I was very happy with the film.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:20 AM   #7970
Space Cop
The Dandy

Curse of the Fly (1965)

"No great advance was ever made without sacrifice."

Weakest of the trilogy. Some good ideas.

Big Trouble in Little China (1986)

"What does that say?
-Hell of Boiling Oil.
You're kidding.
-Yeah, I am. It says Keep Out."

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-13-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:24 AM   #7971
Parrylakks
Anti-Monitor

In theaters: Hobbs & Shaw - It's sort of insane that a franchise beginning with a movie about a cop investigating street racers for stealing DVD players from semi trucks has ballooned into a franchise where full on science fiction levels of human enhancement is going on, complete with Mission Impossible level world ending stakes and secret global super powers, but I'll be damned if it wasn't one hell of a fun popcorn action movie. Recommended.

On home video: The Foreigner - Interesting anti-terrorist revenge plot between a grieving father and the IRA resulting in some Ramboesque guerrella warfare and a lot of explosive violence, yet all the while rooting itself in the well conveyed desperate grief of the titular character, making it almost feel like more of a drama than an action film at times. Recommended.

Via streaming (Hulu): Vice - A weirdly presented movie about Dick Cheney, centering on his time beside Bush W, but looking at his entire political career. It's got some great performances, but the examination feels far too one sided to be genuinely valuable in any meaningful way outside a few comedic moments. Not recommended.
Old 08-12-2019, 02:40 AM   #7972
Space Cop
The Dandy

Wizard of Oz (1939)

"Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?"

Turned 80 today.

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-17-2019 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:41 AM   #7973
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Picasso Trigger (1988)

"Is that a snorkel in his pocket or is he just happy to see me?"

Ambitious crime lord Miguel Ortiz avenges his brother's death and seizes power in the criminal underworld by knocking off a rival and then wiping out a whole wave of special agents in a blitz of violent ambushes. But as the Agency counters and cracks down against Ortiz, they realize that more is going on that first appears.

I gotta say this is probably the most narratively well-written of those I've watched so far. It still has the hokiness of the first two, but takes itself a little more seriously (aside from going super-dark at one point by talking about a character who's not only running a slavery operation, but makes snuff films).

I swear the "Professor" character may as well be the one from goddamn Giligan's Island, because he makes up all these hilariously wicked gadgets (radio-controlled car with bomb, boomerang with bomb, multi-purpose crutch).

I think the one bodyguard being blinded and then trying to use an SMG was one of the best jokes in there. It also takes place at the British-Chinese boss's building from Hard Ticket.

With this modern classic out of the way, I'm going to move on to Savage Beach (1989).
Old 08-13-2019, 03:30 AM   #7974
Space Cop
The Dandy

A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child (1989)

"More powerful than a loco-madman! It's Super Freddy!"

Yesterday was also the 30th anniversary of this not-best/nort-worst Freddy sequel.

Quote:
Picasso Trigger (1988)...I gotta say this is probably the most narratively well-written of those I've watched so far. . .
I'm not sure if I agree or not, but it certainly moved fast. They kind of got crazy with how many Abilenes work for the DEA. There's another in Beach.

Quote:
I swear the "Professor" character may as well be the one from goddamn Giligan's Island, because he makes up all these hilariously wicked gadgets (radio-controlled car with bomb, boomerang with bomb, multi-purpose crutch). . .
Yeah, it was very Q branch there. I'm through 5/12 and have enjoyed them all. I took a break to watch Summer Slam. Unusually I didn't even watch part of a movie today because Slam (especially with the pre-show) is really long.

I have watched a bunch (like 5 or 6) of the Laurel and Hardy short films (which are 20-30 mins) because Stan & Ollie put me in that mood.

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-13-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:39 AM   #7975
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Was dragged to see "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark." Eh, not terrible. Not particularly memorable either.

The new Shaft (5) as well. A comedy that shouldn't have been a comedy that wasn't funny is how I'd sum it up.