FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 08-13-2019, 01:46 PM   #7976
Space Cop
The Dandy

The Man Who Captured Eichmann (1996)

"Who tipped us?
-A blind man."

I had seen another TV movie based on the Mossad operation, but the special features to Operation Finale made me realize there was another and it seemed a good time while it was fresh in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Was dragged to see "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark." Eh, not terrible. Not particularly memorable either.

The new Shaft (5) as well. A comedy that shouldn't have been a comedy that wasn't funny is how I'd sum it up.
As I'm watching a Youtube review that is completely the opposite of one I watched yesterday, it's funny how different people view the same film. I heard pretty positive online reviews for both of those movies. The one guy (Stuckman) saw Scary Stories as a good Halloween flick in the line of (but not as fun as) Goosebumps. The other guy (Cereal at Midnight) thought the new Shaft was very much in line with the series and surprisingly unPC. All of the mixed messages just encourages me to stay home and wait for these to hit Netflix. I hate going to my local AMC anyway.

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-13-2019 at 02:22 PM.
Space Cop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:13 PM   #7977
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
The other guy (Cereal at Midnight) thought the new Shaft was very much in line with the series and surprisingly unPC.
Definitely very un-PC although sort of... self-aware of "PC culture." None of it was just very funny. It felt like a lot of the kind of jokes they'd write for Will Smith in a shitty late 90s movie.

I'm a HUGE Shaft fan. No, doesn't really fit well. I mean, look at the core Shaft trilogy... a series of investigative mysteries with action, 10% humor, a good dose of sex and gritty street stuff. The Sam Jackson one turned things into a police procedural thing with almost no humor and 0 sex. Now this one is like 60% humor, 20% family stuff, and 20% investigative stuff.

So to be fair... I think this one feels roughly more "Shaft-like" than the Sam Jackson one, but the Sam Jackson one was a better movie.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:30 PM   #7978
Space Cop
The Dandy

Nineteen Eighty-Four (1954)

"I love Big Brother."

A pretty good/pretty faithful adaptation of Orwell's book starring Peter Cushing as Winston Smith. Donald Pleasence is in a secondary role as well.

Quote:
Definitely very un-PC although sort of... self-aware of "PC culture." None of it was just very funny. It felt like a lot of the kind of jokes they'd write for Will Smith in a shitty late 90s movie.

I'm a HUGE Shaft fan. No, doesn't really fit well. I mean, look at the core Shaft trilogy... a series of investigative mysteries with action, 10% humor, and gritty street stuff. The Sam Jackson one turned things into a police procedural thing with almost no humor. Now this one is like 60% humor, 20% family stuff, and 20% investigative stuff.
Good to know, thanks. I'll check it out on Netflix for completion's sake one day, but I'm not in a hurry. I really need to get the original trilogy in my collection, especially now that the blu-ray set is out from WB Archive. The first Jackson movie was alright. I was very happy when I realized it was a sequel and not a remake.

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-17-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #7979
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Good to know, thanks. I'll check it out on Netflix for completion's sake one day, but I'm not in a hurry. I really need to get the original trilogy in my collection, especially now that the blu-ray set is out from WB Archive. The first Jackson movie was alright. I was very happy when I realized it was a sequel and not a remake.
It's already on Netflix overseas.

Also, just a bit ago I realized there was 3 additional Shaft movies with Richard Roundtree, made-for-TV. It's available on DVD... I need to check those out, but I worry the TV budget and lack of teeth may make for not very good experiences.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:53 AM   #7980
Space Cop
The Dandy

[Rifftrax:] Ocean's Eleven (2001/2008)

"Directorial flourish #56 is my favorite."

Quote:
...Also, just a bit ago I realized there was 3 additional Shaft movies with Richard Roundtree, made-for-TV. It's available on DVD... I need to check those out, but I worry the TV budget and lack of teeth may make for not very good experiences.
According to Wikipedia, there were 7 of them. They note that besides toning down the character, they make him more explicitly a force for good and law and order.

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-14-2019 at 03:46 AM.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:51 AM   #7981
robojac
Corps Honor Guard

The Mule (2018)

robojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:05 AM   #7982
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojac View Post
The Mule (2018)

Good movie.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:58 PM   #7983
Space Cop
The Dandy

Never Cry Werewolf (2008)

"I'm not your territory."

Alright for a SyFy channel flick. It's insane how much of a rip-off of Fright Night this. Some of those movies are obvious, but this is in the realm of "how did they not get sued?" The biggest changes are that the kid is a girl and the neighbor is a werewolf instead of a vampire. But otherwise all the same plot beats. Kevin Sorbo is the name draw and it seems more than a little self aware when he spouts a monologue about being a big TV star who lost it all.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:21 AM   #7984
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Oh god, that film was painful to watch. Sorbo tried like hell to save it for me, and I liked him in it, but that film was just a very bad retread of a solid flick from the '80s.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:11 AM   #7985
Space Cop
The Dandy

Fright Night (2011)

"You've got your mother's eyes and you're father's aim."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Oh god, that film was painful to watch. Sorbo tried like hell to save it for me, and I liked him in it, but that film was just a very bad retread of a solid flick from the '80s.
I'll go with all of that. Fright Night is a favorite and the 2011 remake showed it could be redone rightly (which made me want to rewatch it immediately). But I love werewolf movies and have a high tolerance for crappy ones. This was far from the crappiest. The rip off was so blatant that it had an appeal either like watching a train wreck or just like "check out the balls on these guys!" Oddly enough, the remake (aside from the names and vamps) took more liberties with the plot points than this knock off.

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-16-2019 at 02:55 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:30 AM   #7986
robojac
Corps Honor Guard

Bumblebee (2018)

Old 08-16-2019, 07:22 AM   #7987
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojac View Post
Bumblebee (2018)

Eugh. How was it?
Old 08-16-2019, 01:32 PM   #7988
Space Cop
The Dandy

BlacKkKlansman (2018)

"You jive turkey."

Pretty good stuff. The little coda on the end with recent real-life events was heavy-handed (I got the message with the conversation about future presidents within the story), but that's Lee. Good story.
Old 08-16-2019, 04:41 PM   #7989
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
BlacKkKlansman (2018)

"You jive turkey."

Pretty good stuff. The little coda on the end with recent real-life events was heavy-handed (I got the message with the conversation about future presidents within the story), but that's Lee. Good story.
I want to see it, but Lee is soooo angry these days and filled with such vitriol that I just know this is going to be an "important" movie and not a "good" movie. But I could be wrong.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:23 PM   #7990
Space Cop
The Dandy

Caddyshack (1980)

"You're crazy!
-That's what they said about Son of Sam."

Quote:
I want to see it, but Lee is soooo angry these days and filled with such vitriol that I just know this is going to be an "important" movie and not a "good" movie. But I could be wrong.
That's all there, but there's still a fun quality and he takes the time to throw in afros and jive talk.

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-17-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:43 AM   #7991
robojac
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Eugh. How was it?
I was surprised by how good Bumblebee was and wish I had seen it on the big screen. It respected it's source material way more than Michael Bay ever did. The VFX and acting is good (especially from Hailee Steinfeld). I can actually see what's going on in the action scenes and the Transformer designs are distinguishable and have character. It is well paced and doesn't feel like it's an hour too long. This film responded to all of the criticisms and flaws of the Bay films. The movie focused on telling a smaller more intimate story and had heart. It reminds me of The Iron Giant and other films where children befriend robots or aliens. I can go on and on but I recommend seeing it if you haven't yet.
Old 08-17-2019, 03:54 AM   #7992
Space Cop
The Dandy

Hellraiser (1987)

"We have such sights to show you!"

I had hoped to meet Clive Barker (at Monster Mania) tonght, so I re-watched this without then with commentary. But the price and the wait didn't seem worth it when I could get hard-to-find movies and toys.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:10 AM   #7993
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
You're not gonna like the last three minutes at all.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:17 PM   #7994
Space Cop
The Dandy

Hell High (1989)

"There's nothing after high school. There's only more stink."

I saw a video of Joe Bob Briggs talking about new-at-the-time drive-in movies and thought I hadn't seen this. When I remembered I had, I just stuck with it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
You're not gonna like the last three minutes at all.
Yeah, that's what I was alluding to. I don't mind him making the point, but he basically did it in the dialogue about how "safe racism" could be instituionalized and put in political power. The last bit was like he wrote that on a baseball bat and then took it to the viewer's head.

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-20-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:13 PM   #7995
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Oh, it was effective though. That bat hit me straight in the gut.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 08:50 PM   #7996
Space Cop
The Dandy

Drone (2017)

"He dropped bombs on Hitler. Yet he died barely able to hold a crayon."

A Pakistani man who loses his family to a drone attack manages to track down the independent contractor (Sean Bean) used by the CIA to do it. Not great, but not bad.

Valkyrie (2008)

"My duty as an officer is no longer to save my country, but to save human lives."

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-28-2019 at 02:54 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 01:52 AM   #7997
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Miracle at St. Anna (2009)

(Fucking IMDB doesn't have this moving quote the various characters all recite together about being God's children)

In 1983, a New York postal worker suddenly murders a man. Matters only become vastly more complicated when an Italian sculpture's missing head is found in his apartment. A reporter investigating the matter slowly realizes the truth as the accused killer remembers everything that happened to his Buffalo Soldiers unit in World War II Italy.

Goddamn this was moving. Spike Lee really knocked it into the feels, showing some serious and varied drama ranging from "military intelligence" to racism to Nazi war crimes. Omar Benson Miller's interaction with the Boy (Matteo Sciabordi) are hilarious and sincere, and damn if I didn't start to really love Miller's character (heart of gold).

If there's one character I feel sorry for, it would be Hans Brundt (Jan Pohl), a German deserter. Dude tried to help children escape a massacre and got royally screwed over because of how utterly heartless some people choose to be. Also feel sorry for all the townspeople who get their lives ruined by the war.

Oh, and Colonel Driscoll (D.B. Sweeney) is a massive douchebag.

Long film (2h40m) but very much worth it. Got this one for free from another member of my LCS a little while back, and it was either this off the shelf or forcing my dad to watch Lucio Fulci's The House by the Cemetery (1981) which, after watching the trailer and knowing my dad loathes horror flicks, made this an easy pick.

Very highly recommend.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:00 AM   #7998
Space Cop
The Dandy

Straw Dogs (2011)

"Get your daddy's gun and shoot anyone that's not me."

A little better than I was expecting (I watched out of morbid curiosity and because it's expiring on Instant Netflix), but definitely not worth remaking a Peckinpah film and I wouldn't recommend it.

Deliverance (1972)

"He got a real pretty mouth ain't he?"

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-27-2019 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:24 AM   #7999
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Saw "Good Boys." Funny as fuck.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:18 AM   #8000
Space Cop
The Dandy

Jurassic World (2015)

"And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth."

Jurassic Park III (2001)

"This is T-Rex pee? How'd you get it?
-You don't wanna know."

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-27-2019 at 01:55 PM.