The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Movies & TV
FLASHCHAT

Movies and TV

Old 05-16-2019, 03:06 AM   #3501
Space Cop
The Dandy

^In the commentary, the director says Stig's bad accent was on purpose and the character was supposed to be putting it on inconsistently. But since the movie is so cheap and involves nonprofessionals, I think they would've been better making that clear, which would've only taken about 10 seconds.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:27 PM   #3502
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Forgot to mention this: Tuesday I bought a copy of NOS4A2 (Joe Hill) at the market while grabbing a few things, and the cover has a blurb about AMC turning it into a series with Zach Quinto and Ashleigh Cummings.

Dunno if I will check the series out, since I do want to read the book first, and the book is both 760 pages long and at the end of a list of other things I need to get through.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:38 PM   #3503
Space Cop
The Dandy

^My mother is a Joe Hill fan and read that book. I showed her the ad that's been on the back of comics lately. I haven't tried him yet, but I could easily borrow one of her books.
Old 06-07-2019, 01:24 AM   #3504
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Been a few years but I remember enjoying NOS4A2, though I generally like most things Joe Hill has done (everyone go read Locke & Key), looking forward to the tv show.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:59 AM   #3505
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
Been a few years but I remember enjoying NOS4A2, though I generally like most things Joe Hill has done (everyone go read Locke & Key), looking forward to the tv show.
Yeah, my Mom follows Hill. I think she's leery about making one novel into an ongoing series, but I don't know anything about it. The trailer looked good, but I don't want to start a new show.

Last edited by Space Cop; 06-07-2019 at 03:05 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 01:22 AM   #3506
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

My one boss was telling me about a new Netflix show he's watching called Slasher, about a serial killer called the Executioner who kills people based on the Seven Deadly Sins and ties them into biblical punishments (drowning for envy, etc).

I haven't had time to check it out, been extremely busy, but his descriptions are brutal.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:12 AM   #3507
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Halloween (2018)

"That's a dumb thing to pray for."

Finally saw this after having lunch with my dad (he picked me up when I dropped off my rental car).

I have to say this was worth the wait. It really felt in a lot of ways like a newer version of Halloween 4 (which is at the same time painful because Jamie isn't giving a nod like most of the other films in the franchise, which is bullshit because 4 is a fucking good film).

I liked the visual style of this very much. It's a hard R film, but it isn't over the top and it has this kind of cleanliness to it, actually, that really helps sell the violence and eerieness of the setting and events.

I also like they mostly show Michael's face. It's strange how averse the studios are to showing him unmasked, even though he was unmasked in the original and it's not like characters never see him without a cover. He's just a man in appearance, more human than Freddy or Jason. I also liked the detail that they gave him a bad eye and scar from the coat hanger being stabbed in there 40 years ago.

Sartain was a fairly good character. Maybe not developed enough to warrant the plot twist they throw in, but I wasn't especially bothered by it (and it makes the audience enjoy his finale even more, I think; certainly less bothersome than "secret sister" bullshit). His interest into the Laurie/Michael relationship was actually somewhat interesting, just not explored enough.

Laurie was great. I loved seeing a scream queen who is tired of a slasher's shit and fights back (twice now, at least, because I remember the beatdown in H20). The whole death house showdown at the end was tense as hell and I loved the vanishing body tribute. Hell, even Karen was surprising (poor Ray, he actually was a good character).

I thought Oscar talking to Michael was fucking hilarious, but then I wanted him to live. I mean, come on, Michael doesn't kill everyone, just a bunch of people.

I honestly lost track if the Allyson's boyfriend dies or not. Several of the teens look the same.

I liked Julian. He's a cool kid.

The ending was solid. Michael is human enough to die (he was supposed to be permanently dead in the old II), and that was a great redo of the original sequel's conclusion. I know that there are contractual obligations for a sequel and that McBride wants to explore more ideas, but I really, really want this to be a definitive ending and nothing extra, especially after such an effort on the parts of both the cast and characters. We'll have to wait and see.

Overall a very satisfying film, and one I will have to make sure to get for my collection.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:59 AM   #3508
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Purple View Post
Halloween (2018)
Quote:
t really felt in a lot of ways like a newer version of Halloween 4 (which is at the same time painful because Jamie isn't giving a nod like most of the other films in the franchise, which is bullshit because 4 is a fucking good film).
Thank you for being a 4 fan. I really like that one.

Quote:
I liked the visual style of this very much. It's a hard R film, but it isn't over the top and it has this kind of cleanliness to it, actually, that really helps sell the violence and eerieness of the setting and events.
Yeah, that's something I feel about a lot of the franchise slashers. Part of why I love the Jason movies so much is because they make camp/the woods seem like a fun place to be until the killer shows up. That makes them more fun, but also gives you that extra uneasiness when it all hits the fan.

Quote:
Sartain was a fairly good character. Maybe not developed enough to warrant the plot twist they throw in, but I wasn't especially bothered by it (and it makes the audience enjoy his finale even more, I think; certainly less bothersome than "secret sister" bullshit). . .
Exactly. It wasn't well done, but it was far from a franchise killer.

Quote:
...but I really, really want this to be a definitive ending and nothing extra, especially after such an effort on the parts of both the cast and characters. We'll have to wait and see. . .
Yeah, at least it would be a much, much, much better send-off for Laurie than Resurrection was. Oh, and a couple more muches in there.
Old 07-28-2019, 12:58 PM   #3509
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

It Chapter 2 runtime revealed, explained
Old 07-28-2019, 07:20 PM   #3510
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
That is pretty long for a horror movie that's already split in two. Even The Exorcist is only 2 hr 2 min.
That also means that the two parts will have a total running time longer than the miniseries. In fact, this part 2 alone will only be 27 minutes shorter than the whole miniseries (you know, the format meant for adaptations that would be too long for cinema?).
But, whatever. I'll still see it; I'll just make sure not to catch a 7:30 show when I do.

Last edited by Space Cop; 07-29-2019 at 04:02 AM.
Old 08-05-2019, 03:34 AM   #3511
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Talking

Oh my sweet Jesus, I had to tell you guys about this movie....

Tentacles 1977

In the long history of Jaws RIP offs, this has to be the saddest most disconnected film I have ever seen. You know how John William's used the Jaws theme to indicate the shark was in the scene if not entirely seen? Ok, this movie here sets the camera on walking feet while playing their octopus theme for a good five minutes. Had this been produced and directed with quality, they could have narrowed it down to 90 minutes with actual stuff happening that fit the score. And that's just the music!

Acting was horrible, although I did like Shelley Winters character for pure lols. What a cougar. Everyone else were cardboard cut outs that couldn't sell a scene if it was free. And the stupid octopus.....how they trained 2 orcas to attack this thing in the end was beyond me, but you kept seeing the same sequence of attacks over and over again for a good 5 minutes. The opening scene (after listening to 10 minutes of cab CB talk) was just so untasteful as well. And finally, the plot....oh right, there wasn't one. HA!

It was good for a laugh, though at how bad some companies wanted to cash in on the success of Jaws. Obviously, this one didn't quite hit the mark. Hehe
Old 08-05-2019, 03:47 AM   #3512
Space Cop
The Dandy

^That sounds vaguely familiar; like maybe I caught some of it on a Saturday afternoon cable run.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:29 PM   #3513
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
^That sounds vaguely familiar; like maybe I caught some of it on a Saturday afternoon cable run.

I could go on and on about all the stupidity regarding this movie, but I don't want to stretch the board out.

Yeah, this is something that probably went to a national network as an afternoon filler movie on the weekend (before the dawn of cable), but since I didn't have cable as a child, I wouldn't be able to answer you. If you want to see the very bottom of the Jaws rip-off barrel, this is it. In comparison, movies like Orca and The Prophecy (even the actual shark rip-offs themselves) were Oscar winners compared to this. But it's one of those things you have to experience to get proper perspective on how a horror movie should be made and what to avoid. I don't even know what they used for an octopus....probably just a rubber likeness that was controlled by fishing line. Who knows. Haha
Old 08-06-2019, 09:49 PM   #3514
Space Cop
The Dandy

Found it on Youtube today for free (just had to put up with Japanese subtitles) and am finishing it as I type. I don't think it's quite as bad as you suggest. Mind, you, the consensus is on your side, but I guess I get a kick out of these kind of movies.
It's definitely a rip-off, but I've seen lower budgeted ones. I could tell right away it was Italian-made (though shot here). It has that weird Italian pacing and intense music (plus, of course, the separately dubbed soundtrack).

It's not as fun as Piranha, but it's probably better than (at least as watchable as) Grizzly.

Besides the more contemporary Jaws, it also borrows heavily (as I see Wikipedia confirms) from It Came from Beneath the Sea.

It actually is pretty good on star power. It's pretty amazing that in addition to Shelly Winters they got John Huston and Henry Fonda. Fonda!! Also the standard B-standards Bo Hopkins and Claude Akins. And they all do fine (though Hopkins longer dialogue suffers from monotones).

The effects are b-grade, but you get the idea. The plot moves along at an okay pace.

I was surprised [spoilers] they killed off one of the two boys. Sure, Jaws has the death of the Kintner boy, but he wasn't the son of a main character.

And I like Orca and Prophecy too. Orca both scared and bothered me as a kid.

Last edited by Space Cop; 08-21-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:24 PM   #3515
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

First poster for horror-thriller about a group of boys who harass someone, are witnessed by a carnie doing so, and said carnie creates a monster to hunt the bullies down:

Old 08-18-2019, 07:06 PM   #3516
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

The House by the Cemetery (1981)

"Bob! Stay away from the door!"

A family moves into a new house only to find the previous resident is not only alive but killing people and harvesting their bodies to keep himself functioning.

Yeah, it's a very good thing I didn't watch this with my dad. This film has all kinds of bloodshed in it (knife through head and out the mouth right at the start, for one thing) and has this very weird 1960s/-70s-style in its presentation. I get the feeling that this film was made before 1981 but held back.

The children's dubbing is really bad, but comparatively everyone else is actually pretty decent or even good.

I swear this film draws inspiration from then-modern classics like The Shining (Bob and the girl) and probably some others.

Freudstein could have had a better mask, especially with the monster eyes that peer out from the shadows in one scene, but otherwise he isn't a bad design.

Not really sure what to say about this other than that.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:46 PM   #3517
Space Cop
The Dandy

^I felt like tHbtC is a weak entry for Fulci, but it has its fans. I'd definitely elevate Zombie, The Beyond, and The Black Cat above it, personally. Probably others too.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:48 PM   #3518
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Just watched Cold Crash's "Best of the Jaws Rip-offs" and now I want to watch a few. Already saw Grizzly, own Alligator and Piranha, so I guess I'll have a buddy hunt up a copy of The Prophecy.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:53 PM   #3519
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
And I like Orca and Prophecy too. Orca both scared and bothered me as a kid.

I think I know exactly what you are getting at.....the killing of the female and the birth scene disturbed me greatly, which is why I haven't rewatched it in a very long time. That scene bothered me more than all the other death scenes in the movie.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:56 PM   #3520
Jeff
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Just watched Cold Crash's "Best of the Jaws Rip-offs" and now I want to watch a few. Already saw Grizzly, own Alligator and Piranha, so I guess I'll have a buddy hunt up a copy of The Prophecy.

Here ya go, babe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsrNpEpGz-U&app=desktop

For free.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:29 PM   #3521
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Jeff! How are ya?!?
Old 08-30-2019, 10:14 PM   #3522
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Del Toro might be making a werewolf-Western film next
Old 08-30-2019, 11:08 PM   #3523
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Werewolves and cowboys. Count me in.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:14 PM   #3524
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Why not? We already have Cowboys & Aliens.
Old 08-31-2019, 06:36 AM   #3525
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Werewolf western? Count me in too!!