The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Videos
FLASHCHAT

Old 07-01-2019, 08:54 PM   #1
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Default The Westerner -- 1960

I recommend that you watch the episodes in order.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG9...K1SF6ETcd_CPfw
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:50 AM   #2
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

The network forced Peckinpah to give Brian Keith a high-powered telescopic rifle as a gimmick. Peckinpah hated the rifle and got it dropped after a few episodes.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:40 PM   #3
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Brown was played by a dog named Spike. Spike had also played Old Yeller.
Old 08-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #4
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Jack Gariss, who was the associate producer of The Westerner, later became a spiritual lecturer on radio. He was the original version of Eckhart Tolle.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 08-24-2019 at 01:52 AM.
Old 08-18-2019, 12:52 PM   #5
Space Cop
The Dandy

I watched then all (alternating episodes between streaming movies). It was good. If it had go on real long, I might not have continued, though. For some reason, while I love western movies, I've never felt the same about western TV shows with the exception of Bonanza (which I watched in reruns as a kid) and Deadwood.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:58 PM   #6
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I watched then all (alternating episodes between streaming movies). It was good. If it had go on real long, I might not have continued, though. For some reason, while I love western movies, I've never felt the same about western TV shows with the exception of Bonanza (which I watched in reruns as a kid) and Deadwood.
Thing is, there are more Western television shows to watch than Western movies. If you limit yourself to the movies, you'll run out of stuff to watch pretty soon.

I think Hand on the Gun was the best episode. Bruce Geller's script was great, and Michael Ansara and Ben Cooper were excellent in guest roles. Cooper was a quick-draw artist in real life.

But the episode called Treasure was almost as good. It was written by Cyril Hume, who wrote Forbidden Planet. He also wrote Tarzan Escapes, which was probably the best Tarzan movie. Tarzan Escapes would have been even better excepts that a scene that showed an attack by giant bats was cut out because it was deemed too frightening.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 08-19-2019 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:45 AM   #7
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
Thing is, there are more Western television shows to watch than Western movies. If you limit yourself to the movies, you'll run out of stuff to watch pretty soon...
I suppose, but that's still hundreds and hundreds of movies and I don't watch only Westerns.

Quote:
I think Hand on the Gun was the best episode. Bruce Geller's script was great, and Michael Ansara and Ben Cooper were excellent in guest roles. Cooper was a quick-draw artist in real life...
That felt like the series' heart. Very good. I love Ansara (as a Trekkie, I knew him).

Quote:
But the episode called Treasure was almost as good. It was written by Cyril Hume, who wrote Forbidden Planet. . .
That was good. It felt like a rehash of Treasure of Sierra Madre, but that's okay. Most episodes were good. I liked the one with the teacher's death. The comedy episodes were weaker but allowed them a recurring character.