FLASHCHAT

Qward

Old 04-26-2011, 03:13 AM   #26
Razorgod
Anti-Monitor

Send a message via Yahoo to Razorgod Send a message via Skype™ to Razorgod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
I see your point, but this was actually getting around restricted protocols and DRM.
Yes and no. When PS3 first dropped, the ability to use Linux and homebrew was a HUGE selling point. Until last year, when they forced everyone (That is, if you want to play games anymore) to update their system with software that overwrote that functionality. So goodbye homebrew. good bye Linux, and good bye PS2 emulator....never mind that I paid a hefty price for these functions.

Personally, I have no intention to ever fuck around with my PS3...but I can certainly see why it was done. And if Sony wanted the consumers support over Geohot's, then they sure fucked up by taking away what they sold in the first place.
His endless obsession
With superpositional pussy.
Razorgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:22 AM   #27
Kuhan

Send a message via ICQ to Kuhan Send a message via AIM to Kuhan Send a message via MSN to Kuhan Send a message via Yahoo to Kuhan Send a message via Skype™ to Kuhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.West View Post
DID ANYONE READ THE ARTICLE?!!!!!!
Kuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:47 AM   #28
pronouncednort
Corpse Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
True. I have no sympathy towards Sony. However, it hurts the consumers as well who just want to get online and whoop someone's ass in Mortal Kombat. Seems like there are other ways to get at them, without hurting the very people they're trying to protect.

That is if the stunt was pulled to try and teach Sony a lesson.
Where else can they hit Sony, except for their money?
pronouncednort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:27 AM   #29
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

With the latest news out today, I've realized that many (but not all, mind you) fans are really overreacting and not aware of how the recovery process really works. I'll make it simple:

1) This is not Sony's fault. This is the hackers' fault, end of story.

2) People are whining that Sony took a week to fully explain the PSN data breach. Most companies take much longer than that. For example, my previous health insurer (we change every year or two at work) lost a backup drive, and told us a month and a half later. A few years ago, my bank lost one of their backup tapes and notified customers two months later. It takes a long time for the computer forensics process to get to the bottom of what actually happened, and for Sony to respond in a week or so is actually pretty damned fast.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:19 AM   #30
Cid Jacobs
Doctor Spectrum

Quote:
for Sony to respond in a week or so is actually pretty damned fast.
It's actually really not. Your anecdotal evidence aside, computer forensics is pretty straightforward and pretty fast, especially given the size of the technical team working for Sony. Within a day they should have been able to tell if customer information was accessed, realistically they should have been able to find out in a matter of minutes. Beyond that, telling if it was accessed at an unencrypted level would only take a short time from there. Realistically, they knew about, or had the ability to investigate and come to a conclusion, within a matter of hours.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:02 AM   #31
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

You and I both know companies never work that way. If you falsely believe my evidence was "anecdotal," I suggest you read the facts here and here. I was off on the timeframes, however; it was three months for the bank, and six months for the health insurer. The government rightfully went after them for taking so long, and this was a much more serious situation. A week for an online video game service is lightning fast, though I agree that it's not fast enough for consumers.

In fact, the same AG who went after the bank and health insurer is now a Senator, and he's going after Sony. That guy takes no shit!

Last edited by SD80MAC; 04-27-2011 at 04:09 AM.
SD80MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 04:06 AM   #32
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

A forum that my wife is on for mothers has a few members posting that their childrens psn accounts were charged money somewhere to the tune of 80 bucks or so.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:21 AM   #33
Cid Jacobs
Doctor Spectrum

Quote:
You and I both know companies never work that way. If you falsely believe my evidence was "anecdotal," I suggest you read the facts here and here. I was off on the timeframes, however; it was three months for the bank, and six months for the health insurer. The government rightfully went after them for taking so long, and this was a much more serious situation. A week for an online video game service is lightning fast, though I agree that it's not fast enough for consumers.

In fact, the same AG who went after the bank and health insurer is now a Senator, and he's going after Sony. That guy takes no shit!
I have been on the other side of this argument, I have worked in this field and I can assure you, they knew the server activity within the day of the attack. I dismiss your evidence as anecdotal for the simple fact that those companies you mentioned did not suffer an attack or have any need for their backups immediately. If a technology company determines their is an attack, it is quite easy to identity what else has happened on their machines from that point forward.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:26 PM   #34
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cid Jacobs View Post
I have been on the other side of this argument, I have worked in this field and I can assure you, they knew the server activity within the day of the attack.
I work in that field as well! Small world.

But, these things do take days, especially when consulting with outside security firms...and in Sony's case, that's exactly what happened.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #35
Cid Jacobs
Doctor Spectrum

Quote:
I work in that field as well! Small world.

But, these things do take days, especially when consulting with outside security firms...and in Sony's case, that's exactly what happened.
Let me break it down for you.
What they learned.
Day 1: Customer Data has been breached at an unencrypted level.
Day 2: Malicious code has not been injected.
Day 3: Everything looks fine, we should probably tighten up our security to keep this particular type of attack from occurring again.
Day 4: Done.
Day 5: Someone at Sony says, we should get the PR guys ready, this is not going to be good.
Day 6: CEO "Do we really have to do this?"
Day 7: We just learned customer data has been compromised.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #36
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

That doesn't jibe with their official statements, nor with the results of the third-party security firm. I'm not saying Sony are angels, but engaging in idle speculation doesn't help.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #37
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

well that didn't take long...

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1164392p1.html

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #38
Robinson
Guardian Of The Universe

So they sued sony with no actual plaintiffs just to make a name for their firm. I'm sure in due time they will have some of the people affected attached to the suit tho.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #39
JohnnyV
Pictionary Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
So they sued sony with no actual plaintiffs just to make a name for their firm. I'm sure in due time they will have some of the people affected attached to the suit tho.
yea, firms do it from time to time. Better to get the ball rolling early I guess, when you know someone will step forward to attach themselves to the case.

Follow The Nobodies Comic on Facebook or Twitter
JohnnyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:13 PM   #40
Lantern2814.20850
Green Lantern

Well for me It got much worse than in my OP Sunday I look at my Bank account to make sure I haven't whittled away my paycheck too much. I discover two $50.00 charges that i never made! I double check my emails and known accounts with my preferred etailers and discover that neither charge is in my books. I go to the Bank the next day and find that the charges were made to Craig's list (a site I have no confidence in) and KSL.com (a site I've never heard off. I cancelled the card with the Bank but that doesn't get me my $100.00 back. ATROCITUS!!!!!!! I NEED SOME RAGE PUKE ON THESE HACKER M@#$%^&*&RF^%$#@#$%^&*R's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2011, 12:53 AM   #41
havik
Torch Bearer

Send a message via Yahoo to havik

that sucks i hate people like that
havik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:36 AM   #42
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
Not that it matters. Thanks to a recent Supreme Court decision, Sony can force each and every user to arbitrate individually. Guess how many can afford that.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:16 AM   #43
Cid Jacobs
Doctor Spectrum

I just want to point out, it's too bad Sony isn't a hooker. Then going down for a week would be considered good customer service.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #44
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

DC Universe Online's Make Good Plan

Quote:
First the PlayStation Network got hacked and shut down, and then, Sony Online Entertainment got hacked and shut down. These two things have guaranteed that DC Universe Online players have been unable to play the MMO as of late. That sucks, but the developers understand.

That's why SOE has announced its "Make Good Plan." Folks affected by the outage will get 30-day subscription credit along with one day for each day DCUO was down. On top of that, every played gets a "Batman-inspired mask" for their in-game character.

Bat mask!

SOE did not specify a day to grab the content.

"Please bear with us as the complexities of the subscription server dictate how and when this will be available along with pertinent details," SOE said in a statement. "We will be releasing more information this week. Thanks again for your patience!"

This news comes hot on the heels of SOE announcing it was combining DC Universe Online servers.

via IGN
Old 05-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #45
Jack-O-Lantern
Master Customizer

WOOHOO!

At least I'll get 6 weeks free. Considering I just paid $14.99 for another month 2 days before the servers shut down.
Jack-O-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:06 AM   #46
Jay Burg
American Bad Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
I lol'd at this comment below the article.

"obviously we have a hacker at sony hes climbin in your office snatchin yo money up so hide wallet hide your phone and hide your ssi number cause he robbin erryone out herr "

Team Cyclops !!! ...Screw Wolverine.
Jay Burg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:25 AM   #47
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Old 05-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #48
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan

I still think it's pathetic that so many people are placing all of the blame on Sony for this instead of the actual criminals responsible. Idiots.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #49
Boosteroo
Banned

Quote:
I still think it's pathetic that so many people are placing all of the blame on Sony for this instead of the actual criminals responsible. Idiots.
If there were a like button on message boards, I, Booster Gold, would press it for this post.
Boosteroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:04 AM   #50
Cid Jacobs
Doctor Spectrum

Quote:
Gray Hat Freedom Fighters.