No announcement yet.

Horror Cinema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Since yesterday was Friday the 13th, on a lobby TV while running an order down I caught Fox News covering the day with a quick series of clips from the original film, including Christie's death (late in the film) and cutting back to the anchors right before the first two victims get theirs.

Was nice to see the old flick again, if only for a brief minute. It also reminded me that I own very few of the films.
    Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• Deleted scenes of Event Horizon were in a Transylvania salt mine. However, they were in such poor condition, they were unusable.

Here are a few choice comments/replies from the reddit thread where I caught this link:

"Is there a reason cut scenes were in a salt mine? In fkn Transylvania?"

"So someone took the footage out and had a little look." / "Hopefully he was traumatized for life for ruining that footage" / "He clawed his eyes out last week. Said he didn't need them anymore" / "Like, I don't need my dick to write a work e-mail, but I'm not going to cut it off because of that."

"I thought it was a sci fi film when I saw it and it kinda made the movie so much more fun for me. Like actually made it scary because you didn't see it coming. My (now ex) wife at the time didn't share my enthusiasm." / "Me too. Expected space adventure, got space horror. It was awesome" / "I wasn't expecting anything, my dad just took me to see a movie one day. I was 10."

"When I was 15 I went to the theatre to see face/off. But I wasn't allowed in because I wasn't 16 yet. But the poster for EH looked cool, so went to see that one instead. All ages were allowed, I literally saw parents running out of the room with their children. Absolutely ridiculous how that movie didn't get a rating."

"I wonder how much Satan charged them for location fees."

"One of the best ‘genre literate’ characters in horror. The ship was basically a haunted house in space, complete with lightning flashes and weird creaky noises. Captain gets one look at the rape-blood-orgy ship’s log, goes “We’re leaving” all level, his face never changes and when Sam Neill’s scientist character is all like “We can’t leave!” Captain turns around and says, “We aren’t ‘leaving’. We’re going back to our ship, taking it to safe distance and blowing this ship up with every missile we have. FUCK this ship.” Best horror ‘leader’ character ever."

"Yeah it was a major production but a box-office disappointment. Since the video release a lot of people have come to realize that it's just a good film. It's got a good story, great acting and good special effects.

It's failure at the box office was probably a marketing issue, it opened against Cop Land (which came in #1 at the box office that weekend), The Full Monty, and Steel (the superhero movie starring Shaquille O'Neal, it was truly terrible). It was still competing against (and lost to) Air Force One and Conspiracy Theory though, both decent films and multi-week hits."

Comment

• So my one boss saw Rob Zombie's 3 From Hell last night and they had these promo posters, only 50 per theater. Only 17 people came to the showing so he grabbed half a dozen and plans to get Haig and Trejo to sign his at Monster Con in Cherry Hill.

He offered me one and now I own a collector's item.

Comment

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sqY...ature=youtu.be

Comment

• Good luck getting Sid Haig to sign it. I don't think he's long for this world.

Comment

• Yeah, my boss just told me Haig isn't making the con this time, so that's one that won't be happening anytime soon. If we're lucky Haig doesn't die but from what my boss said, he is in horrible condition right now.

Those posters even without signatures can sell for upwards of $300 on eBay, apparently.

Comment

• I've gone to like 1/3 of Monster Manias and met Haig (who was cool). Never met Trejo and I really want to. I'm not even aware of him going to one I missed.

When I got Haig's sig it was for Devil's Rejects. Now that I've gotten way more into grindhouse films, I'd love to have chatted him up on the Filipino movies and Pam Grier. There's been a couple of those instances . . . where I got someone's sigs and then became a bigger fan of something else they did.

Comment

• https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...ravens-estate/

Comment

• Phantasm II (1988)

"Phantasm? Sounds like something Dan Aykroyd would say." (my dad, not a film quote)

So it's been seven (IRL = nine) years since Mike, Jody, and Reggie the Badass Ice Cream Vendor fought the fourteen-foot-tall The Tall Man, played by Angus Scrimm in the second-greatest role of his life. Mike is hearing voices in his head and uses them to home in on Scrimm like a corpse-seeking missile, while Reggie picks up a hitchhiking floozie.

As fascinating and creepy as Scrimm is, I seriously think Reggie is the real star of these films. Dude invents a quad-barrel shotgun, for fuck's sake, and gets into a chainsaw duel, on top of adding in the secret that allows for such a cool kill of the villain. I mean, his only downside is his poor taste in women. The priest was also kind of a good character.

My dad barely managed to sit through this, even though he seemed to enjoy some parts. The sphere kills made him roll his eyes, but I think he was slightly amused by the melting death of Scrimm and the twist ending.

Well, I guess it's on to the third one at some point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agent Purple View Post
                      Phantasm II (1988) ... As fascinating and creepy as Scrimm is, I seriously think Reggie is the real star of these films. . .
                      Reggie really becomes the through line for the series and is a bit of a cult star, at least in the b horror fandom.

I've never met him, though I did see Scrimm in person before he passed.

Actually, I literally "ran into" him at a con because he turned a corner kind of blind and ran into my wheelchair. He apologized, but it was only a skim (maybe we didn't even connect; I don't remember).

Comment

• So I made a discovery this weekend that is kind of in line with what I'm currently reading, Sid Haig, and a new genre of horror movies for me: Western era horror movies.

I'm reading a book called Yea though I Walk, which is about a cowboy who is taking on Strigoi, Wendigo, and hybrids of both. It got me interested in the horror western genre, so I looked up some notable examples. At the top of almost every list was a movie called Bone Tomahawk, starring Kurt Russell. Sign Haid played a minor role in the beginning of the movie, and largely it just plodded on about 4 guys walking through the desert to find a group of cannibals that had stolen a couple citizens from the town. I was bored throughout most of it until the last 20 or 30 minutes of the movie where some action and ingenuity happened.

Not really knowing much of the genre, I was looking more for cowboys vs. vampires or other monsters. Do you guys have any suggestions along those lines?

Comment

• ^That's a great movie.

The third From Dusk til Dawn is a prequel set in the old west. One of the Tremor movies is too.

There are old ones---Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter and Billy the Kid vs. Dracula, but they're notoriously bad---by a guy nicknamed One-shot Beaudine because second takes were too expensive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                            ^That's a great movie.

It honestly didnt feel like a horror movie in the traditional sense of the genre, at least not compared to what I'm reading right now. I will say though that it was extremely visceral and gory at the end, especially when the cannibals demonstrated their skills on the poor deputy kid. And that shot of the female cannibal make me outright want to puke. It takes a severely disturbed mind to come up with that stuff. But like I said, most of it bored me because it was like 4 grumpy old men without the laughs.

Cool trick though how that one guy cut out the windpipe (?) And used it to trick out the rest. Reminded me of Jurassic Park 3, I believe when they did the same sort of thing with the velociraptor anatomy part, whatever it was.

Comment

• You probably also know of 1969's The Valley of Gwangi, which is cowboys vs. dinosaurs and in which Ray Harryhausen repurposed the abandoned project of his mentor Willis O'Brien (his mentor).

Gallowwalkers is a true western horror starring Wesley Snipes, but it's not great.

Comment

• John Carpenter's Vampires looked familiar. Pretty sure I saw it a long time ago, but I re-watched it last night. Very good movie, even though James Woods' bad boy attitude was a little over the top. Continuing the Western Horror theme.

Comment

Working...
                                X