This might be the final straw...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
    My passion for comics died when my car was broken into a few years ago and several issues of GL were stolen along with my two laptops and several other expensive belongings. . .
    That sucks and no judgment, but do you normally keep such random or expensive stuff in your car? I have a friend who keeps his wallet in the car, which is just foreign to my thinking, but if someone broke into my POS car they'd pretty much get away with maybe a magazine, a cheap Bible, an an emergency book (one of those how to start a fire or perform a tracheotomy if you really had to types) and whatever CD I happen to have in the car at that time.

Originally posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
    ...I will never convert to downloading comics to view on a monitor or smart device. I just can't bring myself to read my comics from a computer screen. I would rather do without... but that's just me.
    Ditto, but I have downloaded a number of comics before on my iPad. Pretty much all of them, though, were comics I don't regularly collect. It's hard to explain, but they were essentially comics that I don't care if they're "really" in my collection or not (mostly Archie and IDW stuff IIRC) and which were cheap or easy to get digitally.
    Space Cop
    The Dandy
    Last edited by Space Cop; 05-29-2020, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
      Ugh, I just realized that the Morrison issues are being collected not in TPB form, but HC. Still probably cheaper than getting the issues without a box discount, but more expensive than I thought I would be in for with "trade-waiting".
      Well they're coming out in HC first then TPB so you can still get the TPBs and save some money if you're willing to wait even longer. Instocktrades usually sells the books at ~40% off so that might make the hardcovers more affordable for you.

If your pull list was bigger I'd suggest using their sister site dcbs to get your comics through the mail. I've never used them but have heard good things. They sell the books at a discount with the downsides being you have to preorder everything and they charge for shipping - the latter can be mitigated by setting it up so you receive a single shipment each month with all your comics but with only 3 titles that interest you I'm guessing you wouldn't save much money.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
        That sucks and no judgment, but do you normally keep such random or expensive stuff in your car? I have a friend who keeps his wallet in the car, which is just foreign to my thinking, but if someone broke into my POS car they'd pretty much get away with maybe a magazine, a cheap Bible, an an emergency book (one of those how to start a fire or perform a tracheotomy if you really had to types) and whatever CD I happen to have in the car at that time.
        I don't. Before work, I went to Walgreen's in the morning, around 7 am to get my wife an anniversary card. I was in the store for less than 10 minutes, parked in front to the store and came back out to two broken windows and my personal and work laptops stolen along with a myriad of personal things in my Swiss backpack (medication, prescription glasses, flash drives, etc.). They even stole my lunch for the day that was in a bag.

I was in DIRECT line-of-sight with TWO surveillance cameras, but the police officer who supposedly reviewed the footage wrote, "Couldn't see anything" in his report. Pretty sure that they figured, "He has insurance, so he'll be alright" and didn't investigate.

Comment

^Dang, that's cold. Even the lunch?!

Comment

I wish they were still doing the hardcover archives books. I would have liked to have the whole run like like that.
            Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Originally posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
              I wish they were still doing the hardcover archives books. I would have liked to have the whole run like like that.
              Me too. I have a hole in my GL collection because they keep starting over with their attempts to collect old GL comics before they get to that point. (Technically they did collect those issues, but only in a.) a B&W-only collection, which I didn’t feel was worth bothering with and is no longer available, and b.) a massive, and very expensive, Omnibus edition that also contains a bunch of issues I already have in Archive form. I didn’t feel like I could justify the expense for that.

Comment

Wouldnt it be nice if DC finally collected all 224+ issues in one format with nice matching trade dress? I gave up years ago because DC kept restarting the series.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                  Wouldnt it be nice if DC finally collected all 224+ issues in one format with nice matching trade dress? I gave up years ago because DC kept restarting the series.
                  Didn't you buy like a lot of those re-treads?

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                    Me too. I have a hole in my GL collection because they keep starting over with their attempts to collect old GL comics before they get to that point. (Technically they did collect those issues, but only in a.) a B&W-only collection, which I didn’t feel was worth bothering with and is no longer available, and b.) a massive, and very expensive, Omnibus edition that also contains a bunch of issues I already have in Archive form. I didn’t feel like I could justify the expense for that.
                    Yeah I wanted the 80's stuff and the Kyle Stuff. Those books just looked sexy on the shelf.
                    Take life with a Grain of salt and a shot of tequila!

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                      Didn't you buy like a lot of those re-treads?
                      Yeah I kept buying every trade or collection for years and years. I finally got tired of doing it when I had the early material collected 6 different ways. Now I'll only dip again if DC Carries their omnibus series on into the 80s . It would help if issues 100 through 175 were more in demand.

Comment

It bugs me when DC does that. I mean, I was happily surprised when DC began collecting the Mike Grell era Green Arrow comics, but disappointed when they stopped as his time with the run did, because that left some 50 issues or so of the ongoing uncollected. Granted, I have them all in issue, but I had a friend who was getting the trades on my recommendation, and so he hit a wall, creating a hole in his collection.

I'm not sure DC really understands their collectors. Just give us an easy way to obtain all of the issues of popular characters and people will buy them. Maybe not enough to print in bulk, but do an archive print on demand collection like WB does with older movies, at least.
                        Do good. Be well. Make happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Parrylakks View Post
                          It bugs me when DC does that. I mean, I was happily surprised when DC began collecting the Mike Grell era Green Arrow comics, but disappointed when they stopped as his time with the run did, because that left some 50 issues or so of the ongoing uncollected.
                          That's always frustrating, especially when it comes to older comics. Trying to track down older issues, some of which can be pricey, can turn fun into an ordeal. I wish DC would commit to a method of reprinting, whether it be sequential TPBs, omnibus editions, or facsimiles, to give us complete, uniform runs of Golden/Silver Age runs. However, as Dave pointed out in some thread on this MB, Didio stated that DC doesn't have a complete catalogue of back issues.
                          Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

^If they were open about that stuff, though, they might be able to get help from private collectors.

Comment

Working...
                            X