The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lanterns
FLASHCHAT

Green Lanterns

Old 05-30-2017, 03:35 PM   #26
Jeronimo Thompson
Alan's Drycleaner

I read that Our Worlds At War special just a few months ago and I agree: it was a good story (and a prelude to The Power of Ion). For me, the Judd Winick's run was a very enjoyable one from its very beginning to #150, at least.
Jeronimo Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #27
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct View Post
Tom King on Hal Jordan:

"75 years ago these Jewish creators could not create explicitly Jewish characters. It’s nice to know that now we can.”

From Darkseid War Green Lantern . . . Thats why I love King. He does his research.
I forgot about that. I'd have to say given the reference I posted and the fact that this background was never mentioned before that it's a retcon. Doesn't bother me though, like I said. It would bother me if say being a devoted Episcopalian had been a part of Ha's character before, but it wasn't.

And I agree with King and have thought about that aspect before. A similar thing could be said about Hollywood. There were a lot of Jewish executives, producers, and writers in the studio era but a relatively small number of Jewish characters on the screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -//V\\- View Post
...I will admit Kyle's the most sexual GL...
I think I would agree with that. Guy (at least since his days of making construct waitresses) and John tend to fall hard for one girl for a long time.

Johns tried to characterize Hal as a player, but before Rebirth I don't think that's true. He had a number of girlfriends, but no more than Batman and the like. And he was never portrayed as a love-em-and-leave-em guy before. With the exception of Iona Vane, he tended to have real relationships with most of his loves.

But Kyle went through the ladies a bit faster and doesn't seem to be able to be a happy single guy. He's seems more about the loving.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:49 PM   #28
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeronimo Thompson View Post
I read that Our Worlds At War special just a few months ago and I agree: it was a good story (and a prelude to The Power of Ion). For me, the Judd Winick's run was a very enjoyable one from its very beginning to #150, at least.
He got a bit too preachy for a minute and I didn't like how Kyle's voice changed so dramatically. I chalk it up to the increasing power that would be Ion's making him a tad bit smarter. Like how most people would normally say "I can't do that..." Winick would spell everything out "I can not do that..."

Just sounded off more times than not. His intro arc with the Manhunters and the follow up with the birth of Nero were amazing.

I did enjoy how he set up Brainwave as a potential villain for Kyle some time after issue #150. Just kinda annoyed nobody ever did anything with it. I think after the Hate Crime story when Kyle went off world was when it began going down hill. I REALLY enjoyed his John Stewart. I also think Winick's writing improved after writing that Outsiders comic with Nightwing, Arsenal, and Jade as members...

~//V\\~

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world." - Albert Einstein
-//V\\- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:01 PM   #29
Jeronimo Thompson
Alan's Drycleaner

Quote:
He got a bit too preachy for a minute and I didn't like how Kyle's voice changed so dramatically. I chalk it up to the increasing power that would be Ion's making him a tad bit smarter. Like how most people would normally say "I can't do that..." Winick would spell everything out "I can not do that..."

Just sounded off more times than not. His intro arc with the Manhunters and the follow up with the birth of Nero were amazing.

I did enjoy how he set up Brainwave as a potential villain for Kyle some time after issue #150. Just kinda annoyed nobody ever did anything with it. I think after the Hate Crime story when Kyle went off world was when it began going down hill. I REALLY enjoyed his John Stewart. I also think Winick's writing improved after writing that Outsiders comic with Nightwing, Arsenal, and Jade as members...

~//V\\~
About the change in Kyle's voice, if I remember it correctly, I had only read a few Ron Marz's issues before starting the Winick's run, so at the time I accepted his Kyle's characterization as the right one. And well, although Marz had previously done a good work treating them, I loved the way Winick developed Kyle's relationship with Jade (and hated how he finished it). The mentioned Our Worlds At War special is a good example of this. And the adventure in space recovering Mogo for continuity was a very good one too.

I agree with you that the series really got worse when Kyle went off world, but for me, Winick had already lost his 'shining' after the end of The Power of Ion. And I consider Hate Crime a story written with a good purpose, but not so successfully executed. As if everything were too 'theatrical'. And anyway, I couldn´t buy Kyle's following justification to go off world.

I've never tried Winick's Outsiders. At the moment, I read a bunch of reviews stating Johns's Teen Titans was the good one (of the couple) and that Winick's stories and characterizations for the series were poor. His Exiles, on the other hand, seemed to me a good comic.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:16 PM   #30
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Outsiders was good for what it was. Arsenal had some damn good characterization, as well as Nightwing, and Jade was leader by issue #12 or #13 I think....

If you liked Winick's earlier Jade characterization you'd enjoy her in that series. Winick also got the chance to create not one but three new characters/heroes. Grace Choi [metahuman bouncer], Thunder [Black Lightning's daughter now with density powers], and the last one I don't wanna spoil. I LOVE what was done with Metamorpho...

~//V\\~

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world." - Albert Einstein
Old 05-31-2017, 09:19 PM   #31
Jeronimo Thompson
Alan's Drycleaner

Well, I guess I should give a chance to those issues after all this time, if only because Jade.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:24 PM   #32
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Did you ever read the issues of GL where Kyle interacted with Arsenal? I *think* one was just before Winick's run and a filler issue, but all of those single issue stories were great for what they were. Anyway... that made me a fan of Arsenal ugly costumes and all. His Outsiders suit was a little 90's, but it worked. And his opening developments... DAMN.

~//V\\~

Old 06-01-2017, 12:07 AM   #33
IonFan
Forum Member

Quote:
So while Kyle is training Baz he creates a few dozen constructs of himself in his various suits. Ion 1.0 with his arm around Ion 2.0, White Lantern Kyle, his more Corps standard uniform after becoming Parallax, his Jim Lee suit...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I liked that bit. I bet IonFan would dig it if he were reading the books.
well that ain't happening anytime soon BUT if someone wants to post a pic of this i'd be ok with that

IonFan says

Quote:
8 years ago i had 40+ hours a week, heath-care, and was full time, i can't say that anymore THAT'S WHY I VOTED TRUMP! (also i wanted to destroy the Rep. party, i didn't think he'd actually win)
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:50 AM   #34
Space Cop
The Dandy

I would if I could, but my scanner is not great and I don't see a pic online. Leaf through it the next time you're in your LCS. You'll find the page fast. It's fun, but I'm not claiming that it's worth $3 just for that or anything.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:53 AM   #35
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

~//V\\~

Old 06-01-2017, 01:58 AM   #36
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Also, when *Rami* talks of the Travel Lantern in GL's #23... is he talking about the white personal power battery from Brightest Day?

And now that I think about it... did Kyle have one when he made himself a WL? Or did his ring magically not need recharging? I might tape six or seven batteries together to make a single power source... but those batteries would still be limited to the power in them.

There was so much fail with White Lantern Kyle.... I can't believe Space Jesus wasn't even the worst!

~//V\\~

Old 06-01-2017, 02:37 AM   #37
Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I
First of His Name, King of the Andals and Jägerbombs

Travel Lantern. Just say that out loud. What's next, Expedia Lantern?
Old 06-01-2017, 11:33 AM   #38
IonFan
Forum Member

Quote:

~//V\\~
< link here

Awwwww the good old days

IonFan says

Quote:
8 years ago i had 40+ hours a week, heath-care, and was full time, i can't say that anymore THAT'S WHY I VOTED TRUMP! (also i wanted to destroy the Rep. party, i didn't think he'd actually win)
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:30 PM   #39
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
Travel Lantern. Just say that out loud. What's next, Expedia Lantern?
This is what's making me tired of the continuous attempts to make new Lanterns. It's just [insert color or gimmick] Lanterns are taking away precious time from the ones we actually wanna read about... the Green Lanterns.

As if the ROYGBIV Corps wasn't enough, now we've got the First Lantern, the First Army, Phantom Lantern, White Lanterns, Omega Lantern, and even Harley Quinn had a half Red half Black ring!

It's just out of control at this point.

~//V\\~

Old 06-01-2017, 02:00 PM   #40
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern Initiate

Quote:
Also, when *Rami* talks of the Travel Lantern in GL's #23... is he talking about the white personal power battery from Brightest Day?

And now that I think about it... did Kyle have one when he made himself a WL? Or did his ring magically not need recharging? I might tape six or seven batteries together to make a single power source... but those batteries would still be limited to the power in them.

There was so much fail with White Lantern Kyle.... I can't believe Space Jesus wasn't even the worst!

~//V\\~
The Travel Lantern is the ORIGINAL Lantern from where the entire Lantern theme derives. It is a device that Volthoom (the First Lantern) (and I think his mom) created on their Earth to go to other universes. Volthoom used the Travel Lantern to travel to a bunch of different universes. During his travels, he eventually met the Guardians.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 06-01-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:15 PM   #41
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
...and even Harley Quinn had a half Red half Black ring!...
Yeah, but that whole series is a metafictional satire (they even have a version of Deadpool--called Red Tool--in those comics). I highly doubt you'll hear about that ring (which she lost within the issue) in any of the GL comics. It was pretty much a goof on the very fact of there being so many colored rings.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #42
Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I
First of His Name, King of the Andals and Jägerbombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
The Travel Lantern is the ORIGINAL Lantern from where the entire Lantern theme derives. It is a device that Volthoom (the First Lantern) (and I think his mom) created on their Earth to go to other universes. Volthoom used the Travel Lantern to travel to a bunch of different universes. During his travels, he eventually met the Guardians.
THAT sounds SO awful!!!
Old 06-03-2017, 10:18 PM   #43
Star-Lantern
Green Lantern Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
THAT sounds SO awful!!!
It was from one of the few issues of this series that I actually thoroughly read start to finish (most of the others I knew wouldn't interest me from testing them out and skimming them). I think it's issue #19 or something. It is the best issue of the series I've seen, in my opinion. An interesting point is that Jessica Cruz and Simon Baz aren't even in it.

That said, the Travel Lantern concept certainly isn't a favorite of mine, and neither is the First Lantern. I'm actually somewhat disappointed that his history is what is currently canon, and not just some weird alternate possibility that didn't really happen, or was prevented from happening. Meaning that the great cosmic hand Krona saw was his, he appears to the Guardians after they see that, he's essentially the origin of all this Lantern and Power Ring business, and so on.

I just don't think First Lantern is a strong enough character or concept or that "Wrath of the First Lantern" is a strong enough story to where this character should occupy such a critical place in the mythos, that was just fine before hand. The origin of the Guardians, Qward, Krona, and Anti-Monitor is one of my favorite aspects of Green Lantern, and now this character that I actually don't want to see again is a canonical crucial part of all of that, and so is the Emotional Spectrum. Kind of a bummer :/
I think these newer additions don't really help that origin story at all. I also didn't like Geoff Johns turning the Anti-Monitor into a scientist named Mobius who's involved with the Anti-Life Equation (see Darkseid War).

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 06-03-2017 at 10:21 PM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #44
Tarmode
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

That's true about the Anti-Monitor, that wasn't right. But give props to Jessica for handling hers, lol.
Tarmode is offline   Reply With Quote