The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 02-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #26
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
"He might end up somewhere where he can hire me again... he's a great guy, really!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
No, I believe all of this to be genuine. He always did what was best for creators, not for the books or the characters.
I mean really, if the “fostering a poor working environment thing” is legit, then these tweets are just being nice or the really POed people haven’t spoken yet. It’s like Nixon’s funeral—when he’s actually gone everyone says nice things.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:44 PM   #27
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I figured with the way 5G was introduced as being an alternate Earth in the Multiverse with the conclusion of Doomsday Clock, DC was already taking steps to move away from the original plan. I see it coming to us as a DC 1 Million type event with a mini series and several tie ins featuring future versions of the characters being featured more prominently than the modern heroes. If DC was smart they would contain events to be less universe breaking and only cross over like 4 or 5 titles tops.

Not gonna lie, with Lee now on top I kinda want a few Wildstorm characters back in the DCU. In general I think DC's dropped the ball when it came to all of the properties they've bought over the years. They should be doing more with Charlton, Quality, Fawcett, Wildstorm, and Milestone characters/concepts.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 01:03 PM   #28
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ωmega Man View Post
Not gonna lie, with Lee now on top I kinda want a few Wildstorm characters back in the DCU.
I want them all back. Grifter, Spartan, Majestic, Midnighter, all of Gen13 and DV8, Deathblow... But I don't want them to be in the DCU, at least not full-time. The Wildstorm Universe and the DC Universe are vastly different universes, and merging them for the New 52 was one of Didio's biggest mistakes. Why not assign another Earth in the Multiverse to Wildstorm, and give us a couple of books set on that Earth?
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 02:07 PM   #29
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I'm all for the Charlton characters getting a push. Milestone too for some of the characters. Not so much for the others, and zero interest in anything Wildstorm related.

I dont know if we will see that anyway. DC has bigger fish to fry in terms of repairing DC. I dont think Lee is going to be the guy. He is just there by virtue of not getting booted along with Didio, but someone else is going to be the person at the top. DC is going to want a new vision and new leadership, what is Lee going to bring to the table that he hasn't already?

Either way, this is the beginning of the end of DC as a publisher of comics. I think 5 years from.now we will look back on this and see it that way. And when I say 5 years, I am being SUPER generous.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:31 PM   #30
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
If the powers that be at DC are smart, they will put the kibosh on this whole 5G debacle. It's a disaster waiting to happen.
Unlikely, Jim Lee and Bob Harass are still in charge and I doubt they weren't onboard with DiDio's plans to some extent. It'll still happen though there will almost certainly be changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I mean really, if the “fostering a poor working environment thing” is legit, then these tweets are just being nice or the really POed people haven’t spoken yet. It’s like Nixon’s funeral—when he’s actually gone everyone says nice things.
Or it's quite possible that he's a nice guy to the people that know him even if he's not great at his job. It definitely feels like there's a lot more love out there for DiDio from the industry than there was when Marvel fired Axel Alonso. That being said Scott Snyder's silence is notable, lends credence to that bit of the Bleeding Cool report.

Few more reactions:

Last edited by Hypo; 02-22-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Hypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:22 PM   #31
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post

I don't follow social media. When did Twitter go after Sharp?
Old 02-22-2020, 03:31 PM   #32
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Bleeding Cool: Gossip: DC No-Show at ComicsPRO and DC's Big Change
Quote:
I also learned that in 2020 and 2021, DC is planning to move away from the traditional comic book talent pool. There is a quiet, concerted and deliberate effort to woo writers from the fields of TV and animation. The new, upcoming roster will include writers who have had success in those fields and are true fans of comics – but right now DC is courting new voices with different writing backgrounds. But only those who DC believes understand 'story' – and without the bad habits that may have doomed such outreaches in the past. The recruitment of novelists for their Kids and YA original graphic novels have proved very successful for the publisher, this will be the next step. No more returning to the same creative well…

Will that change now? I don't know. Dan DiDio was, and is, a massive fan of comics and comic creators. It could well mean that there is less resistance to change now.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #33
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

For a while now I've called for an ongoing that includes the Charlton characters and maybe any DC street-level characters who can't carry an ongoing. Hell, all those properties are just sitting on a shelf. They should at least TRY IT.

I also think modern comic book writing, with its "decompressed" (i.e, gassy) storytelling and its pretentious panels should be junked and replaced by a television style. Thing is, television and movie writers make a lot more money than comics writers do. So apparently DC is trying to woo them to write some comics as a labor of love, not as a living. The way Kevin Smith did for a while with Green Arrow.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 02-22-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:08 PM   #34
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I don't follow social media. When did Twitter go after Sharp?
No idea.

Quote:
That being said Scott Snyder's silence is notable, lends credence to that bit of the Bleeding Cool report.
Here's a belated Snyder reaction plus some others:

Old 02-22-2020, 04:09 PM   #35
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

And now the "DiDio kicked Liefeld's dog" compendium:

Old 02-22-2020, 04:12 PM   #36
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

In theory, the New 52 was a great idea. But it should have been done very carefully and thoughtfully, with a surgeon's scalpel. Its purpose should have been to get rid of anything that was outdated or contradictory, and that was holding characters back.

Instead, DiDio just passed out machetes to the writers and said, "Go to it, boys! I know you'll make everything better! How do I know that? Because this is happening on my watch! You're my boys!"

Last edited by Trey Strain; 02-22-2020 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 04:55 PM   #37
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Quote:
That is priceless.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:37 PM   #38
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I suspect that DC will now move away from the "build it and they will come" model of getting women and minorities to buy comic books. They might even try to get more white men to buy them, since that seems to be their primary natural market.

As my grandfather told me when I was a tyke, "Only a fool wants to fish where there are no fish."

But we'll see.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 02-22-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:32 PM   #39
IonFan
Forum Member

Quote:
lol he's getting out before the b/s of 5G comes out lol

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 11:01 PM   #40
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

People at DC objecting to 5G has got to be what forced him out. But maybe he's also taking the fall for the Batman-Catwoman calamity.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:33 AM   #41
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

I think they are connected. They've already killed Batman within the last 15 years. So if they want to replace him again, they need to find another way of writing Bruce Wayne out. Responsibility as a father would facilitate that. I'm pretty sure the plan was to have Selina give birth, and to have Bruce retire over that. Shit, that's probably why they killed Alfred. So that Bruce could take over his role.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:20 AM   #42
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Old 02-23-2020, 10:10 AM   #43
Big Blue Lantern
Corps Honor Guard

Didio was a giant in the business, and you can see that people who worked with him (except Liefeld, obviously) respected him. Based on what I'm seeing online, this move doesn't sound like his doing. If that's the case, DC should be ashamed of themselves for not giving him a proper send-off. Abruptly booting a loyal employee with zero fanfare is not how a company enhances its public image.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:54 AM   #44
Space Cop
The Dandy

Busiek’s comments are the smartest yet.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:09 AM   #45
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
For a while now I've called for an ongoing that includes the Charlton characters and maybe any DC street-level characters who can't carry an ongoing. Hell, all those properties are just sitting on a shelf. They should at least TRY IT.

I also think modern comic book writing, with its "decompressed" (i.e, gassy) storytelling and its pretentious panels should be junked and replaced by a television style. Thing is, television and movie writers make a lot more money than comics writers do. So apparently DC is trying to woo them to write some comics as a labor of love, not as a living. The way Kevin Smith did for a while with Green Arrow.
A few old variety books with multiple stories in several parts like the old Marvel Comics Presents used to be would work well for DC in my mind. It'd be a different way to approach the audiences and test the waters with characters and new talent. Maybe even bring back letters columns in those types of titles to see fans' reactions. With various creators flexing their muscles for a 32 page comic you could have up to 6 stories at 5 pages each or a few pages for each here and there. Bring back All-American Comics for male leads, Sensational Comics for female leads, and for all of the purchased comics universes I'd just name those after their original labels. Quality Comics could feature Plastic Man, the Ray, the Blackhawks, and the Freedom Fighters. Charlton Comics would feature obvious characters/concepts like the Question, Capt. Atom, Blue Beetle, and Kid Eternity. Milestone Comics could feature short stories with characters like Icon, Rocket, Static, Hardware, etc.

As for DC looking to hire television and film writers... the producers/writers of the Arrowverse [a mostly successful tv universe] didn't impress anybody with their writing on mainstream DC Comics such as the Flash, Green Arrow, Vibe, etc. Fans who didn't recognize John Semper's name when he began writing Cyborg at the beginning of Rebirth could go back to what he's most known for writing and see that it was Spider-Man TAS back in the 90's. Again... not really impressing anyone.

The problem with comics these days are the people creating them aren't even fans half the time. Somebody was literally handed a gig writing a Marvel comic because of a social justice paper they wrote in college. That's ****ing ridiculous.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #46
Agent Purple
The Illustrated Man

Jesus, I'm gone for a few days and shit hits the fan.

I never thought I'd see DiDio out. Twenty years and now nothing.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:26 PM   #47
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Yea, Busiek makes some good points, DiDio has basically been the EIC from the outside looking in, when was the last time Bob Harras did an interview? I'm struggling to remember.
Old 02-23-2020, 04:44 PM   #48
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I wonder what will happen with the Metal Men mini series he is doing. 12 issues and it isn't even halfway through.

And one more creator reaction:

Old 02-23-2020, 05:19 PM   #49
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

This isn't going to cause a wave of new ongoings to be launched. And even if it does, it'll just be an experiment that won't last long.

That's because DC has only about a dozen ongoings that will sell. The New 52 was a matter of throwing spaghetti noodles against a wall, and DC knew it.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:10 PM   #50
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Marvel struggles to make their Capt. Marvel sell [Miss Marvel was outselling her last I checked], Iron Man will never be what he was in the films or successfully carry more than one monthly title, and within a three year period Marvel put out 200 new titles with #1 issues [with only about 30-35 featuring minorities]. Flooding the market with Spider-verse stuff and a relaunched wave of X-titles is the only thing keeping Marvel's head above water. Throwing a handful of titles at a time out to the masses is the only way you can go about promoting new material. And in some instances tying the new titles into an even or status quo change...

WB just doesn't throw the $$$ at DC like Disney does with Marvel. It's not that Marvel puts out better comics, they just put out a lot more comics period.

Forget finding a new co-publisher, just find a competent EiC.