The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Miscellaneous > Events & Fan Meetups
FLASHCHAT

Old 01-22-2015, 05:03 PM   #1
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Default WonderCon 2015: April 3, 4, & 5

Tickets and Hotels just went on sale. It would be nice if they had a completed guest list, though.

My hopes of it returning to San Francisco have been vanquished.

http://www.comic-con.org/wca
Old 01-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #2
projectile
Sidekick

Just got my tickets.

" He who does not punish evil commands it to be done."-Leonardo da Vinci
projectile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:16 PM   #3
nevermore
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

I feel your pain on wanting it back in SF Sylent. Considering going bc SDCC is a no go this year.

-Henry Adams
nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #4
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
I feel your pain on wanting it back in SF Sylent. Considering going bc SDCC is a no go this year.
There's always Big Wow and Wizard World Sacramento in June. It's certainly not WonderCon, but at this point, you have to take what you can get. Funny how WW San Jose is calling the show, "WW San Francisco."
Old 03-19-2015, 10:31 PM   #5
UltimateFighter
Fatality's Blacksmith

The WonderCon Programming/Panel Schedule is live ...

http://www.comic-con.org/wca/programming-schedule
UltimateFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 10:44 PM   #6
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

As usual, they're going to world premiere another DC animated film. This year it's Batman v. Robin.

There's also going to be a WB presentation. I would be very, very surprised if the Batman v. Superman trailer or new footage dropped here.

Darth_Primus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:24 AM   #7
projectile
Sidekick

Yeah I doubt there would be anything Batman v Superman during the WB panel. Im thinking it'll be Mad Max, San Andreas, and/or Man from U.N.C.L.E.
I would be surprised if they showed anything of b vs s, seems like they would save things for sdcc.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:14 PM   #8
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

I highly doubt anything Batman vs. Superman will be spilled at this show.

There's a Gotham and a Flash panel with members of the cast. That sounds pretty cool.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:01 PM   #9
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

I hate to admit it, but WonderCon was great and much better than the show in SF. Batman vs. Robin was pretty good, the Flash panel was fun and the cosplaying was incredible. It seemed like nearly everyone was in costume. I just wish that I had time to see the Convergence panel and check out the Superman reunion.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:41 PM   #10
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

I'm glad you went and had a great time. I wish I was able to go.

Too bad WonderCon is moving to LA next year. I read that there are only 3 hotels within walking distance and they're really expensive.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:21 PM   #11
TazzMission
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylent_Asassin View Post
I hate to admit it, but WonderCon was great and much better than the show in SF. Batman vs. Robin was pretty good, the Flash panel was fun and the cosplaying was incredible. It seemed like nearly everyone was in costume. I just wish that I had time to see the Convergence panel and check out the Superman reunion.
batman v robin is already online. wile a good movie i think it could have been better
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:57 PM   #12
projectile
Sidekick

Quote:
Glad you enjoyed it. Went to the izombie and gotham panel, but couldn't make it to the flash one. Each year though there are more and more people and it gets harder to walk the hall. It seems more and more idiot groups standing in the middle of the walkway, oblivious to people trying to get around them.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #13
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectile View Post
Glad you enjoyed it. Went to the izombie and gotham panel, but couldn't make it to the flash one. Each year though there are more and more people and it gets harder to walk the hall. It seems more and more idiot groups standing in the middle of the walkway, oblivious to people trying to get around them.
I don't understand what those religious groups hope to accomplish by setting up shop at a comic convention. They'd be better off preaching their word at a concert where promiscuity is high and drugs are rampant.

At any rate, the show was MUCH better than I expected and the venue was gorgeous. Too bad they'll be moving to the LACC next year. That move alone makes me want to skip the show and attend Emerald City instead... and I'd be willing to bet that it'll stay in LA. Remember when they promised that it would return to SF?
Old 04-09-2015, 04:22 PM   #14
Darth_Primus
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:

At any rate, the show was MUCH better than I expected and the venue was gorgeous.
Do you regret not attending WonderCon sooner since it's been in Anaheim?

I wanted to attend the show earlier than I did, but my work schedule always conflicted with the event. Plus it being on Easter Weekend did not help.

I was reading up on WonderCon moving to the LA Convention Center and I hear there are about only three hotels within walking distance. I wish the event would have comeback to San Francisco in 2016. Oh well.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:07 AM   #15
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Primus View Post
Do you regret not attending WonderCon sooner since it's been in Anaheim?
Not in the slightest. Not attending the show was my way of boycotting and "sylent" protesting. Besides, attending these shows are extremely costly. Since they moved, it meant that we had to pay for travel and hotel costs... plus, sitting in a vehicle for 6+ hours through LA traffic sucks... and on the way there, we got pulled over for speeding in the trap on the decline after Magic Mountain. I felt bad for our driver.

This was the first show that I didn't buy an action figure. All the vendors knew exactly what they had and what it was worth on the secondary market, so there were NO deals. Most of those guys were trying to make table in the first day. In three days at WC, I purchased two comics, and they were both silver age books that were under $5. I spent more on food than anything else.
Old 04-10-2015, 08:36 PM   #16
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

I composed a blog on the show, and the link is in my signature. Excuse the misspellings and poor sentence structure. I was in a hurry and work has been busy.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:51 PM   #17
UltimateFighter
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:
I composed a blog on the show, and the link is in my signature. Excuse the misspellings and poor sentence structure. I was in a hurry and work has been busy.
Hey Sylent! Great recap (as usual) of WonderCon 2015! Glad you found your way down and enjoyed it. I had the same mixed feelings and almost felt like a sell out and traitor "enjoying" WonderCon Anaheim the last couple of years. I fell back on the excuse that my family (parents, sister) live in Orange County so it was a family visit with WonderCon and if it were anywhere else I wouldn't go ... but deep down inside I concluded I "probably" would go even if my fam wasn't there. Now LA is not OC but close enough where I can still sort of use the excuse next year so we'll see.

A couple of quick notes though, they DID have signings for iZombie, Flash and a few of the other shows they had panels for. It was SDCC lottery style pull the winning tickets in the morning in the que hall when the Con opened. I struck out BUT you could take a chance and go to the signing and stand in an overflow line. I ended up having some success that way but it was a risk because for example, at Gotham they only took like 10 people from the line so there were people there who camped out for over an hour plus, waited almost another hour for the signing of the winners to complete and then got nothing. So basically like two and half hours of precious con time wasted.

Finally, you know maybe my mind and memory is playing tricks on me, but I think I saw you in Cosplay. It was just in passing but since you weren't your classic Morpheus, I didn't recognize you. And I know you can hate on me, but I thought you were Roadblock! Sorry! But take consolation that's what a good cosplayer you were that I didn't recognize you!
Old 04-28-2015, 03:53 PM   #18
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Thanks, man. Yeah, I felt bad for enjoying the show, but it is what it is. BigWow! Comicfest isn't even close to replacing WonderCon in the Bay Area.

I didn't know about the Flash lottery or any of the others. It certainly wasn't announced or advertised in the booklet. I probably wouldn't have participated anyway, though. 2 hours in line to get nothing is not worth my time, plus they were probably cattle herd signings where they rush you through the lines with no photo-ops or time for interaction.

Since when did Roadblock wear purple? LOL! I had a guy chase me down for a photo, so I asked him, "Do you know who I am?" He responded with, "A GI Joe character?" Then, I showed him the Indigo ring, and he had a confused look on his face. LOL! There was actually another Morpheus, a Trinity and a Neo there. They weren't a bad trio. Dude had the case for the pills and everything. I need to step my game up.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:41 PM   #19
UltimateFighter
Fatality's Blacksmith

Quote:
Thanks, man. Yeah, I felt bad for enjoying the show, but it is what it is. BigWow! Comicfest isn't even close to replacing WonderCon in the Bay Area.
Yeah, having gone to both, BigWow is not even close. WonderCon is BIG LEAGUES while BigWow is your Tripe A affiliate or the D-League. It's more of your local show with just a little extra.

Quote:
I didn't know about the Flash lottery or any of the others. It certainly wasn't announced or advertised in the booklet. I probably wouldn't have participated anyway, though. 2 hours in line to get nothing is not worth my time, plus they were probably cattle herd signings where they rush you through the lines with no photo-ops or time for interaction.
It wasn't advertised early and not in the guidebook. It was a late add that did show on the App and website maybe. And yes they pushed you through like cattle and no photos at all. Most off the actors were nice enough to make some quick small talk but you had someone in front and in back and you had to move the line along!

Quote:
Since when did Roadblock wear purple? LOL! I had a guy chase me down for a photo, so I asked him, "Do you know who I am?" He responded with, "A GI Joe character?" Then, I showed him the Indigo ring, and he had a confused look on his face. LOL! There was actually another Morpheus, a Trinity and a Neo there. They weren't a bad trio. Dude had the case for the pills and everything. I need to step my game up.
Like I said, it was in passing so the shade and color wasn't that obvious! Plus, you could have been a camo version of Roadblock! My bad though! Hey you are THE Morpheus! No one can compare!

So what's next? Is it SDCC? Anything in between?
Old 04-29-2015, 07:02 PM   #20
Sylent_Asassin
Black Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateFighter View Post
So what's next? Is it SDCC? Anything in between?
Naw, it'll probably only be SDCC. I MAY do Fanimecon if I feel up to it. After BigWow, I felt old and tired, even more than usual, so I need to take a break.