The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 1/Alan Scott/JSA
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 1

Old 02-27-2015, 12:05 AM   #26
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy Smasher View Post
I'm not talking about JSA. I'm talking about making use if what they threw away re Alan.
I know what you mean. I'm saying Alan Scott fans wouldn't want to see what you are suggesting. You're talking about changing names, bringing into modern times, etc. I don't want to see another modern take with drastic changes, for Alan or any other JSAer whether together or individually. It sounds like crap.

I'd say just make brand new characters but even then, the GL world doesn't need ANY more new human GLs, or bastardized versions of old ones.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:39 AM   #27
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Davos View Post
I'm saying Alan Scott fans
Old 02-27-2015, 12:41 AM   #28
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
Hey hey hey hey hey HEY!!!

Watch your mouth!...There could be THREE dozen of us!
Old 02-28-2015, 01:56 AM   #29
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Hey hey hey hey hey HEY!!!

Watch your mouth!...There could be THREE dozen of us!
Oh calm down Dave, I'm one of you, I own the JSA omnibus.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:01 AM   #30
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:04 AM   #31
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I know what you mean. I'm saying Alan Scott fans wouldn't want to see what you are suggesting. You're talking about changing names, bringing into modern times, etc. I don't want to see another modern take with drastic changes, for Alan or any other JSAer whether together or individually. It sounds like crap.

I'd say just make brand new characters but even then, the GL world doesn't need ANY more new human GLs, or bastardized versions of old ones.
You ain't gonna read it, so you ain't entitled to have an opinion about it. You'll get to read The Secret Army though. And Alan on Earth 2.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 02-28-2015 at 02:09 AM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:16 AM   #32
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Eh. I'm not reading Earth 2. They can do whatever they want with that version of Alan Scott, he doesn't count.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:24 AM   #33
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Eh. I'm not reading Earth 2. They can do whatever they want with that version of Alan Scott, he doesn't count.
They will NEVER change it back, but who knows? By popular demand. GL may get the right writer, and he knows how to work with that situation.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:25 AM   #34
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
You ain't gonna read it, so you ain't entitled to have an opinion about it.
Well that's just silly. Everybody is entitled to have an opinion on anything. Others are entitled to ignore it if they wish, of course.

You obviously don't have to actually experience something to have an opinion on it. I have an opinion on murder, despite never having murdered anybody OR having been murdered.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:46 AM   #35
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Well that's just silly. Everybody is entitled to have an opinion on anything. Others are entitled to ignore it if they wish, of course.

You obviously don't have to actually experience something to have an opinion on it. I have an opinion on murder, despite never having murdered anybody OR having been murdered.
He said he wasn't going to read the issues that I write. That's what I'm talking about. Get those wheel turning, Ed!

And don't get any ideas about "too many Earth Lanterns" in my six titles. Who said I was even going to use HAL JORDAN? All you should assume is some surprises.

I'd get them all rolling, but the only two I'd want to write long-term ae Green Lantern: The Flame starring Alan and The Green Lantern Corps starring Guy and John.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 02-28-2015 at 03:30 AM.
Old 02-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #36
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Or you can keep hoping that DC does it right.
Old 02-28-2015, 04:26 PM   #37
Mister Ed

Spy, I'm pretty much certain that, even if Dave read your Alan Scott book he would have hated it, given what you did with Corrigan. (I think I'm remembering the right book.)
Old 02-28-2015, 04:32 PM   #38
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Spy, I'm pretty much certain that, even if Dave read your Alan Scott book he would have hated it, given what you did with Corrigan. (I think I'm remembering the right book.)
All I changed was the way he looked, and even that not by very much. Yes, I made him a bad guy. A seriously BAD guy, not the kind you'd invite to a fun Villains Month. But again, don't make any assumptions about what's permanent and what's not, except that Molly really is dead.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 02-28-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #39
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I write four-issue stories. I'd write the first two stories (eight issues) for all six, then just want to write The Flame and The Green Lantern Corps. Two titles are set on Earth and four in space.

Green Lantern #1: Already written. Set on Earth. Changes ahead.

Green Lantern Corps #5: Already written. Title to star Guy, John and Arisia. Set in space, of course.

The Flame #5: Already written. Title to star an Earth 1 Alan. Set on Earth.

Mosaic #1: The Old Timer permanently transfers cities from every space sector to Oa, and Hal Jordan and John Stewart are forced to work with Sinestro to deal with the chaos, stop the Old Timer and find a Green Lantern for Oa. Some humans will be along among the aliens.

Lantern Academy #1: Green Lanterns Kyle Rayner, Ramey Holl, Kreon and Jack T. Chance are assembled as a team to give new Lanterns on-the-job training in emergencies where incumbent Lanterns must be quickly replaced.

The Protector: Set in space. The concept is new and the star is TBA, but he is a familiar character.

I'll write enough of these to give you an idea of what's coming.
Old 02-28-2015, 11:19 PM   #40
Mister Ed

Quote:
All I changed was the way he looked, and even that not by very much. Yes, I made him a bad guy. A seriously BAD guy, not the kind you'd invite to a fun Villains Month. But again, don't make any assumptions about what's permanent and what's not, except that Molly really is dead.
So Corrigan is going to become NOT a rapist? (I thought that was what was implied.)
Old 02-28-2015, 11:29 PM   #41
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
So Corrigan is going to become NOT XXXX(I thought that was what was implied.)
And you didn't mention his killing Molly. I can't tell you what will become of him because that's a spoiler. And I've said enough about that. Just don't assume anything.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:26 AM   #42
Mister Ed

The point is, Dave is a fan of the Jim Corrigan Spectre. I very much doubt there is anything you could have coming up that would make him overlook the horrible treatment you've given the character so far.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:56 AM   #43
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
The point is, Dave is a fan of the Jim Corrigan Spectre. I very much doubt there is anything you could have coming up that would make him overlook the horrible treatment you've given the character so far.
Oh ye of little faith!
Old 03-01-2015, 02:50 PM   #44
Mister Ed

Quote:
Oh ye of little faith!
I'll be blunt. How much faith do you expect people to have in you as a new writer who starts off by turning a well-liked character into a murderer and rapist?

I think you have an unrealistic expectation of how long people will give you to convince them that your vision is worth reading.

Your Green Lantern #1, for instance, while not containing anything so offputting as your "re-imagination" of Jim Corrigan, was...kind of dull, and didn't even have Green Lantern in it. Seriously a #1 issue of a title that doesn't have the titular character in it? That's a truly bizarre move for a new writer to expect people to trust them on. An established writer might be able to get away with such a move, if people look back favorably on their previous work, but I think you are mistaken to expect that you should get similar consideration from readers.

My favorite of your titles that I've read thus far was your GLC, which jumped right into some action and set up an intriguing threat. (And actually had Green Lanterns in it.) Though even that was somewhat dampened by your insistence that the GLs would never use any constructs (something that was not at all obvious on reading the script, as I assumed constructs were used in various scenes, even though they weren't detailed).

To sum up, I HAVE read your stuff, and so, by your standards, am entitled to an opinion. IMHO, some has promise, but on the whole, I would not trust the GL legacy to you.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:44 PM   #45
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I'll be blunt. How much faith do you expect people to have in you as a new writer who starts off by turning a well-liked character into a murderer and rapist?

I think you have an unrealistic expectation of how long people will give you to convince them that your vision is worth reading.

Your Green Lantern #1, for instance, while not containing anything so offputting as your "re-imagination" of Jim Corrigan, was...kind of dull, and didn't even have Green Lantern in it. Seriously a #1 issue of a title that doesn't have the titular character in it? That's a truly bizarre move for a new writer to expect people to trust them on. An established writer might be able to get away with such a move, if people look back favorably on their previous work, but I think you are mistaken to expect that you should get similar consideration from readers.

My favorite of your titles that I've read thus far was your GLC, which jumped right into some action and set up an intriguing threat. (And actually had Green Lanterns in it.) Though even that was somewhat dampened by your insistence that the GLs would never use any constructs (something that was not at all obvious on reading the script, as I assumed constructs were used in various scenes, even though they weren't detailed).

To sum up, I HAVE read your stuff, and so, by your standards, am entitled to an opinion. IMHO, some has promise, but on the whole, I would not trust the GL legacy to you.
Ed, you're not supposed to be able to figure out how stories turns out. That's how stories work. Don't worry about Jim Corrigan. If you were paying attention, you'd have seen a clue about him in one of the longlines I wrote for a future story in The Flame. Go back and look. And don't tell me, "I can't see how you're going to do that." You're not supposed to see.

And Hal wasn't in GL #1? Excuse me? He was in it all the way. Oh wait, you want him in his costume! Well, he's badly hurt and in a hospital bed. I've already told you that BIG CHANGES are coming. This is not business as usual. Hal might be in and he might be out. You want me to spoil that too?

JEZUS!

Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-01-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:51 PM   #46
Mister Ed

Quote:
Ed, you're not supposed to be able to figure out how stories turns out. That's how stories work. Don't worry about Jim Corrigan. If you were paying attention, you'd have seen a clue in one of the longlines I wrote for a future story in The Flame.

JEZUS!
See, I didn't say anything about wanting to know how the story will turn out from the beginning. That seems like a straw man you've concocted to dismiss the opinion of somebody that isn't as enthusiastic about your vision as you are.

All I'm saying is that you have to do more to try to grab readers going in, and not insist that they stick with you (an unknown writer) and just trust that stories WILL get more interesting, or that horrible stuff that you started with out of the gate will somehow get mitigated or undone. As an unknown writer, you haven't done anything to merit that level of trust, and your initial treatement of the character of Corrigan in fact works to convince fans of that character NOT to trust you.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:57 PM   #47
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
See, I didn't say anything about wanting to know how the story will turn out from the beginning. That seems like a straw man you've concocted to dismiss the opinion of somebody that isn't as enthusiastic about your vision as you are.

All I'm saying is that you have to do more to try to grab readers going in, and not insist that they stick with you (an unknown writer) and just trust that stories WILL get more interesting, or that horrible stuff that you started with out of the gate will somehow get mitigated or undone. As an unknown writer, you haven't done anything to merit that level of trust, and your initial treatement of the character of Corrigan in fact works to convince fans of that character NOT to trust you.
Ed... my initial treatment?

If I were allowed to write one non-GL title at DC, my choice would be The Spectre starring Jim Corrigan. That's why I used him right away. I'm telling you -- relax about him. The fact that you're baffled about how I'll do this is a good thing, not a bad one.

And don't assume that Hal will be the titular character in Green Lantern. Maybe he will be and maybe he won't.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-01-2015 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:05 PM   #48
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I will tell you though that Jim wasn't being controlled by one of Geoff's mind-possessing entities!!!
Old 03-01-2015, 05:13 PM   #49
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

And as far as shitting on Hal -- well obviously I'm not going to shit on Kyle, you can guess that I won't shit on Hal either.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:18 PM   #50
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I've lusted the stars of three of those six titles. Don't assume anything about the other three.