The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 1/Alan Scott/JSA
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 1
View Poll Results: How do you feel about New 52 Alan Scott being a gay man?
I think it's great 2 10.00%
I'm OK with it, but let's see how it plays out 0 0%
This is DC being politically correct, but necessary 0 0%
I'm on the fence 0 0%
As long as he still exists as before in some other reality I'm OK 3 15.00%
I don't like this 4 20.00%
Terrible idea 2 10.00%
Worst idea ever, it tarnishes his character from time immemorial 4 20.00%
If they wanted to make a Green Lantern character gay, why not just make a new one? 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2015, 07:57 PM   #26
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern A-train View Post
My only problem with people saying that this was just a publicity stunt (which I'm sure part of it was) is that people practically always say it was a publicity stunt of for shock value damn near anytime someone gay is used or introduced. They creator the new character Bunker for TT and people said that was just a publicity stunt too. They made Sara Lance have a lesbian relationship and people said it was just for shock value. I feel like we can't win either way. Maybe if we didn't make such a big deal everytime they add or make something gay or black it wouldn't be an issue. I swear it's like a damn parade is thrown anytime someone that isn't a straight white character gets added to something or created. But my experience has shown me that no matter how natural to the story or character it may seem people will always say it's just for shock or publicity.
I think the publicity stunt thing hurts the characters longterm because nobody takes them seriously after the confetti is done falling. One that worked? Pied Piper in Flash. He just kind of quietly came out in the book like it was no big deal and readers slapped their foreheads thinking, "how did I not see that coming?". It made sense so everybody accepted it.

Now they make their phone calls to CNN and USA Today to get a pat on the back for it before they do it. It never feels like I'm supposed to take the characters seriously after the publisher goes out of their way to look like a hero for doing it.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:58 PM   #27
TazzMission
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post

Look at Baz. No one hate Baz because he is Aribic,people hate him because he sucks. Are there no more biggets in the world? Of course there are,there always will be. but the acceptance of today as opposed to back in the day is amazing. It's come pretty far.
the issue i had with baz was is hey its an arab guy in a van with a bomb with a 911 theme to it . i know the irony of me mentioning this is ok what a hyporcrite but whatever but you would think the writers would try to find some possitive way to introduce him.

same with john. i feel the only reason why he is around currently is just to have him to please the black audience of readers. the writers can do something with him where he can be more interesting for the anti john crowd
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #28
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Davos View Post
I think the publicity stunt thing hurts the characters longterm because nobody takes them seriously after the confetti is done falling. One that worked? Pied Piper in Flash. He just kind of quietly came out in the book like it was no big deal and readers slapped their foreheads thinking, "how did I not see that coming?". It made sense so everybody accepted it.

Now they make their phone calls to CNN and USA Today to get a pat on the back for it before they do it. It never feels like I'm supposed to take the characters seriously after the publisher goes out of their way to look like a hero for doing it.
I know what you mean and I feel like that too sometimes. Everyone has to alert the fucking media for anything that is not straight or white like it's some amazing thing they are doing and not things that should have been in comics ages ago without a bloody fanfare. I don't need a press release proclaiming who is gonna be the next gay or next black in JL or Avengers or TT or any other book. Just write it in the story make it organic and shut the fuck up about it.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:03 PM   #29
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

I agree. To be honest I kinda thought it was going to come out that Kyle was bi sexual. He always seemed verry open minded to me. Wich is great for somone who spend time is space and meets people with alien cultures and views. It gives him a level of sesitivty.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:05 PM   #30
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
I don't need a press release proclaiming who is gonna be the next gay or next black in JL or Avengers or TT or any other book. Just write it in the story make it organic and shut the fuck up about it.
EXACTLY.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:07 PM   #31
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
I agree. To be honest I kinda thought it was going to come out that Kyle was bi sexual. He always seemed verry open minded to me. Wich is great for somone who spend time is space and meets people with alien cultures and views. It gives him a level of sesitivty.
If it was going to happen, it would have happened during Judd Winick's run. I'm sure he considers it a missed opportunity.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:31 PM   #32
TEN_RINGS
Weaponer of Qward

Not happy I do not read Alan anymore. You dont change characters like that. I also dont like how they make characters black it is very strange to me and it changes alot about the character. Lets see them make BLACK PANTHER white or POWERMAN. Why not just make a whole new Gay Green Lantern or a whole new Black Flash Im all for that just dont like my characters changed so drastically.
TEN_RINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:13 AM   #33
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEN_RINGS View Post
Not happy I do not read Alan anymore. You dont change characters like that. I also dont like how they make characters black it is very strange to me and it changes alot about the character. Lets see them make BLACK PANTHER white or POWERMAN. Why not just make a whole new Gay Green Lantern or a whole new Black Flash Im all for that just dont like my characters changed so drastically.
If it makes you feel better it's not the real Alan Scott anyway. The Alan in the Earth 2 52 title has as much relation to the Alan of the original Earth 2 and the JSA than the Power Ring of Earth 3 does to Hal Jordan of the current Earth.

If I had my way as an editor, I would have used the same super hero personas for this E2 title, but had the writer come up with all new secret IDs for them. The same way the silver age Hal, Barry, Carter and Ray were the secret IDs for the same roles Alan, Jay, Carter and Al were on another Earth in the golden age.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:21 AM   #34
Andrew NDB
Martini Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
I don't know that open minded means you're gay or bi-sexual. It just means you're someone who's not homophobic and are living in 2015.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:12 AM   #35
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

Kyle walked a thin line between Gay and Metro sexual. Imean it is sad when he cried more over Guys death then finding his Girlfriend mutalated in a fridge.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:35 AM   #36
Maverick_GL

Send a message via MSN to Maverick_GL
Default :Moderator:

Quote:
Kyle walked a thin line between Gay and Metro sexual. Imean it is sad when he cried more over Guys death then finding his Girlfriend mutalated in a fridge.
Bros before hoes man.

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman
Maverick_GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:44 PM   #37
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Catwoman Is Bisexual

Quote:
You heard it. DC Comics’ Catwoman is bisexual. While previously there’d been a great deal of speculation within fan circles about Selina Kyle’s possibly binary-indiscriminate sexual preferences, the rumors had never been verified in the actual Catwoman canon. In this week’s No. 39, however, Kyle kisses another woman. While this might sound more representative of the “Q” portion of “LGBTQ” than the “B” portion, Genevieve Valentine, the writer who took over The New 52 series of the comic last October (and who’s written for Flavorwire), confirmed on her blog:

When I was first plotting out what I expected to be a six-issue arc, there were a few emotional beats I considered indispensable… One was establishing Selina as canon bisexual. She’s flirted around it – often quite literally – for years now; for me, this wasn’t a revelation so much as a confirmation.
Of Eiko, a relatively new character who’s the recipient of the kiss, Valentine stated:

Eiko seemed like the right person: intelligent, driven, in that uncanny valley of Almost Catwoman, and knows enough about Selina that their honesty has become something of a shelter in a situation that’s getting increasingly dishonest for everybody involved.
Thankfully, it really seems like Catwoman isn’t just testing the waters, and that this albeit newly-proclaimed part of her identity is, indeed, a real part (as opposed to the queer and/or straight-male-baiting digression it could be). Valentine adds:

Was it a surprise for them? In terms of their sexualities, not particularly; certainly it’s no surprise to Selina that she has an attraction to a woman.
Here’s that ballyhooed kiss:
I know they have skirted around the possibility if her being Bi, at least in the New52, but I have two questions about this.

First : Are you all equally annoyed about this change as much as you are about Alan? Why or Why not?

Second: This again proves the point in my earlier comments. Why the fuck is this necessary? Why do we need whole "news" (yes I'm aware that Flavorwire barely counts as news) story about this? And just like with other changed characters it will probably never be touched on again.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna look at all the comments from straight men that were all up in arms about a gay man in comics be completely okay with this because it's two women now. And yes I know it's not just having a gay character that made people all pissy about Alan but it was the fact that they changed an already established character.
Old 02-26-2015, 10:03 PM   #38
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Catwoman Is Bisexual

I know they have skirted around the possibility if her being Bi, at least in the New52, but I have two questions about this.

First : Are you all equally annoyed about this change as much as you are about Alan? Why or Why not?

Second: This again proves the point in my earlier comments. Why the fuck is this necessary? Why do we need whole "news" (yes I'm aware that Flavorwire barely counts as news) story about this? And just like with other changed characters it will probably never be touched on again.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna look at all the comments from straight men that were all up in arms about a gay man in comics be completely okay with this because it's two women now. And yes I know it's not just having a gay character that made people all pissy about Alan but it was the fact that they changed an already established character.
Well yeah. I mean, you seem to be looking to knock people for treating the two situations differently, while at the same time acknowledging the fact that the two situations...are different.

Now I'm not going to say that some people wouldn't have been up in arms if the original Alan had been revealed to be bisexual, instead of being erased entirely and replaced with a new gay version. No doubt some would have. Maybe almost as many, I don't know. And if that was the situation, you'd be totally justified in making the comparison and pointing out the double standard.

But as it stands, this is not really an analogous situation. Heck, I get the feeling that even the above hypothetical wouldn't TRULY be analogous, since Alan had a long history in which he never gave a hint of any same sex attraction. I don't read Catwoman, but the article seems to imply that there was already speculation with her, and this just took the step of making it canon. Still it would have been, IMHO, close enough of a situation to better make the point. (And I do get your point.)

And yes, I'm not clear why this needs to be trumpeted, though at least it didn't hit major media outlets or anything, so far as I know. That's something, right?
Old 02-26-2015, 10:19 PM   #39
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Yeah I see and get what you are saying as well. I have a habit, don't know if it's good or bad lol) for arguing both side of something in my head and in debates. I do try to look at all sides of things though that may make me come across as fickle or playing both sides.

Also I might add I have yet to see anyone say that this was just done for shock value...yet

Yes let's be thankful it hasn't been a huge media fanfare
Old 02-26-2015, 10:29 PM   #40
Mister Ed

Quote:

Also I might add I have yet to see anyone say that this was just done for shock value...yet
THIS WAS JUST DONE FOR SHOCK VALUE!!!!!!!!

(Didn't want to leave you hanging.)

Old 02-26-2015, 10:32 PM   #41
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Old 02-26-2015, 10:48 PM   #42
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

I have a better question: wats the "q" in lgbtq stand for?!??

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:53 PM   #43
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe

Queer or Questioning.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:10 PM   #44
Mister Ed

Quote:
Queer or Questioning.
I've never been clear on exactly what "Queer" means. Last I heard it was just another way of saying "gay", one that was frequently used derogatorily, but seemed like it had been sort of redeemed by the gay community as a self-referential term (like how "geek" and "nerd" were largely derogatory, but are now adopted by many people with a sort of pride).

I'm assuming, though, from its inclusion in the (IMHO, increasingly long and awkward) acronym, that its accepted meaning is now distinct?
Old 02-27-2015, 12:45 AM   #45
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Catwoman Is BisexualFirst : Are you all equally annoyed about this change as much as you are about Alan? Why or Why not?
Not annoyed but that's because I already thought she was bisexual.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:06 AM   #46
Marvelous Iggy
God Of Turtles

Send a message via Skype™ to Marvelous Iggy

The thing about Alan Scott in Earth 2 is that he really doesn't have a personality. Outside of him being gay and wanting revenge for his dead now turned avatar boyfriend, they haven't fleshed him out as a character.

He's just generic white man #1/
Marvelous Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:00 AM   #47
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

They brought his dead boytoy back? As an avatar too? And avatar like GL there is like their Swamp Thing?
Old 02-27-2015, 05:02 AM   #48
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

Yep he was the avatar of the air

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:23 AM   #49
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern

I just see Alan like a 1940's character. Back when being a homosexual was way way more rare then today. I just have never met a Gay WW2 vet. not saying they never exisisted just saying it's a kinda a stretch for me to buy. Now I am against a gay Character,but let it be somone from a time that is a little more progressive and likley.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:28 AM   #50
TazzMission
Banned

we really need a dwarf super hero. i mean come on it be hilarious
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote