The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 1/Alan Scott/JSA
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 1
View Poll Results: How do you feel about New 52 Alan Scott being a gay man?
I think it's great 2 10.00%
I'm OK with it, but let's see how it plays out 0 0%
This is DC being politically correct, but necessary 0 0%
I'm on the fence 0 0%
As long as he still exists as before in some other reality I'm OK 3 15.00%
I don't like this 4 20.00%
Terrible idea 2 10.00%
Worst idea ever, it tarnishes his character from time immemorial 4 20.00%
If they wanted to make a Green Lantern character gay, why not just make a new one? 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2015, 05:31 AM   #51
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 15,070
Default

They made Wolverine, he's not far off.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:44 AM   #52
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern
 
Rotten2thecorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Qward
Posts: 2,486
Default

I thought you ment they made Wolverine Gay I can only imagine the fan headexplosion from that.
__________________
Green Lantern.... I use to read that.
Rotten2thecorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:07 AM   #53
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 15,070
Default

They should make the next movie Wolverine, gay, black, and female. Just to show they mean business.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:16 AM   #54
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern
 
Rotten2thecorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Qward
Posts: 2,486
Default

Have her be a single mother,with a mental disorder that she treats with acholisim during WW2 and you may have the first superhero movie to win a oscar!
__________________
Green Lantern.... I use to read that.
Rotten2thecorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:02 PM   #55
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
 
Tazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: @play
Posts: 23,754
Default

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelous Iggy View Post
The thing about Alan Scott in Earth 2 is that he really doesn't have a personality. Outside of him being gay and wanting revenge for his dead now turned avatar boyfriend, they haven't fleshed him out as a character.

He's just generic white man #1
ya know, Im betting theres a lot of gays who prefer it that way, rather than a major qualifier to their identity (as viewed by other ppl) being "LIKES: playing a fleshy cock-target on cold winter nights".....unless U wanna make him a flamer, which really WOULD be a big departure from the old Alan Scott. :/




Tazer
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:46 PM   #56
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 15,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
Yo.



.....unless U wanna make him a flamer, which really WOULD be a big departure from the old Alan Scott. :/
Wearing an Ascot? Alan Scott=Ascot??!

You might be onto something!
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #57
plastroncafe
Alpha-Lantern
 
plastroncafe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,620
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten2thecorps View Post
I thought you ment they made Wolverine Gay I can only imagine the fan headexplosion from that.
There is no way Wolverine isn't bi.
__________________
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:56 PM   #58
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe
 
Lantern A-train's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 14,358
Default

I treat Wolverine like vampires. After living so long I feel like people wouldn't care or you would be less hung up on it after a while. Eventually it just becomes whoever makes you feel tingly in the pants. Man, woman, alien, etc.
__________________
I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.
Lantern A-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #59
TazzMission
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: outer rim territory
Posts: 26,132
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
There is no way Wolverine isn't bi.
i know this is random but id hate to be logans proctologist i mean does he have a adamantium prostate?
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:23 PM   #60
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 15,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
i know this is random but id hate to be logans proctologist i mean does he have a adamantium prostate?
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:23 PM   #61
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche
 
Tazer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: @play
Posts: 23,754
Default

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
There is no way Wolverine isn't bi.
only times Ive ever known Logan to be into men was when he was stabbing them w/his claws......






Tazer
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:28 PM   #62
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color
 
Mister Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 14,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
i know this is random but id hate to be logans proctologist i mean does he have a adamantium prostate?
Well, personally, I wouldn't be too fond of being a proctologist, period.

(And no, Wolverine would not have an adamantium prostate. The prostate is not part of your skeleton. )
__________________
Mister Ed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:25 PM   #63
Space Cop
The Dandy
 
Space Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Third State
Posts: 24,433
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern A-train View Post
I treat Wolverine like vampires. After living so long I feel like people wouldn't care or you would be less hung up on it after a while. Eventually it just becomes whoever makes you feel tingly in the pants. Man, woman, alien, etc.
Vampires shouldn't be able to get it up -- no blood flow. In Rice's books they can't have sex. A couple of them fake it, though, for nostalgia's sake.
__________________
Space Cop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #64
Lantern A-train
Guardian of the Universe
 
Lantern A-train's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 14,358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Vampires shouldn't be able to get it up -- no blood flow. In Rice's books they can't have sex. A couple of them fake it, though, for nostalgia's sake.
I didn't necessarily mean just for sex the rules could apply to desire and realtionships as well. Tingly in the pants was just an expression really.

In the Laurel K Hamilton books they can actually get it up after feeding on someone.
__________________
I LOVE conspiracy theorists. They are like human versions of the cymbal clapping, dancing monkeys. No one takes them all that seriously and they get bored with them after about 10 minutes.
Lantern A-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:05 PM   #65
Space Cop
The Dandy
 
Space Cop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: The Third State
Posts: 24,433
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern A-train View Post
I didn't necessarily mean just for sex the rules could apply to desire and realtionships as well. Tingly in the pants was just an expression really.

In the Laurel K Hamilton books they can actually get it up after feeding on someone.
I get what you're saying. And actually, in Rice's books they kind of are beyond sexuality. Lestat swings both ways. Armand was gay buts like to watch his human protege have sex with either gender (until he turns him). Louis is hard to read but his most meaningful relationships are with two guys and a prepubescent girl.
__________________
Space Cop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:55 AM   #66
Rotten2thecorps
Alpha-Lantern
 
Rotten2thecorps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Qward
Posts: 2,486
Default

So we are all clear now. Wolverine needs to be a Gay Black female Vampire,with a nervious proctologist.

Hey I hate to say it......but I'd go see that movie.
__________________
Green Lantern.... I use to read that.
Rotten2thecorps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #67
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe
 
Trey Strain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,324
Default

I guess someone at DC took the thing about "vulnerable to wood" literally.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:46 PM   #68
Tarmode
Star Sapphire's Love Slave
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 385
Default

And now DC moving to Hollywood, and letting Hollyweird get to them.Speak Volumes if I do say so myself.
Tarmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:13 PM   #69
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe
 
Trey Strain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,324
Default

Some of you might want to contribute to this poll and discussion.

http://community.comicbookresources....Alan-Scott-gay
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:23 PM   #70
Lundonj
Sinestro's Sparring Partner
 
Lundonj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 127
Default

Having gay characters is very important, and a GL being gay makes total sense, the GLC is the most diverse group in comics. But I agree with other readers that changing Alan Scott for the New 52 was not necessary.

As they say, there are the old stories for old readers to enjoy, and I agree with that to a certain extent, but every comic book is someone's first. Such a substantial change to character may disappoint a new reader to find out he was a straight father of two for nearly a century.

Anyway, I love DC Comics, but New 52 has proven a long term disaster with many poor decisions made after the initial high sales of the semi-reboot. I noticed an early solicit of a black bagged top secret DC comic for Free Comic Book Day in May 2016. Maybe it will be an issue suggesting the bulk of New 52, including the new Alan - will turn out to be a bad dream.

-Don
Lundonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 12:20 AM   #71
Tarmode
Star Sapphire's Love Slave
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 385
Default

The New 52 is a joke, and there is a very little chance that someone will see it that way, unfortunately.
Tarmode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:35 PM   #72
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman
 
EmeraldGladiator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 319
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundonj View Post
Having gay characters is very important, and a GL being gay makes total sense, the GLC is the most diverse group in comics. But I agree with other readers that changing Alan Scott for the New 52 was not necessary.

As they say, there are the old stories for old readers to enjoy, and I agree with that to a certain extent, but every comic book is someone's first. Such a substantial change to character may disappoint a new reader to find out he was a straight father of two for nearly a century.

Anyway, I love DC Comics, but New 52 has proven a long term disaster with many poor decisions made after the initial high sales of the semi-reboot. I noticed an early solicit of a black bagged top secret DC comic for Free Comic Book Day in May 2016. Maybe it will be an issue suggesting the bulk of New 52, including the new Alan - will turn out to be a bad dream.

-Don
Amen to all of that, Bleeding cool did hint that "our" JSA or some version of the JSA (hopefully the best of the Roy Thomas and Geoff Johns runs) might be part of Rebirth. They hinted at possibly a "new x-men" type storyline where they existed during World War II were forgotten and mysteriously transported to the present. I don't have a problem with Earth 2 per se just don't want it the de facto version of the Justice Society.
EmeraldGladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:21 PM   #73
Lundonj
Sinestro's Sparring Partner
 
Lundonj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Colorado
Posts: 127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
Amen to all of that, Bleeding cool did hint that "our" JSA or some version of the JSA (hopefully the best of the Roy Thomas and Geoff Johns runs) might be part of Rebirth. They hinted at possibly a "new x-men" type storyline where they existed during World War II were forgotten and mysteriously transported to the present. I don't have a problem with Earth 2 per se just don't want it the de facto version of the Justice Society.
If they New X-Men the JSA I like that concept a lot.
__________________
“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” ― Mahatma Gandhi
Lundonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:27 PM   #74
KilowogsDisciple
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Where the slapped mackerels swim.
Posts: 663
Default

This is an exciting time for someone like me, who's just getting into the JSA!
KilowogsDisciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:33 PM   #75
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman
 
EmeraldGladiator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 319
Default

Wog Geoff's JSA run might have been his best, most consistent run. He had moments with Flash and his Rebirth to SCW was my favorite modern day run anywhere period, but his JSA was consistently good on an extended high level. you should check it out. It was Johns at his finest imo.
EmeraldGladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.