The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 3
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 3
View Poll Results: Did you quit reading Lantern comics after Emerald Suckfest?
I quit reading 9 39.13%
I kept on reading, I have no taste 14 60.87%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-2007, 11:25 PM   #26
IonFan
Forum Member

the so-called "Emerald Suckfest" is what's got me in to GL (Kyle 4ever, Hal never)

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k the "Deep-State" and screw all the fake news, one year in and I still support our President one
Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:37 AM   #27
PowerRingE3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlantern View Post
I always like to put it like this.... Without Hal there would have never been a kyle. Without Kyle, Hal would not be back nor the corps.
Amen...
Old 12-12-2007, 03:58 AM   #28
Darth_Ennis

Well, I did. Though I will not say I quite reading GL right away. I actually gave Kyle a chance I read the first 10 issues or so, but I hated it.

I just didn't care for Marz's writing, or the abortion the GL mythos became once he took over.

I will give Marz credit for creating some realy cool villians like Effigy and Nero but the series wasn't worth reading again until Marz left.

I will admit this much, and if you tell anyone else I said it I will vehemently deny it and call you guys liars. But Kyle is actually starting to grow on me. He is still my least favorite Lantern, but I don't hate him like I used to.

He will NEVER be Hal, but I have finally accepted him as a cool character in his own right.

Please don't let this get back to the DCMB, if it does my rep is competely shot to hell.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:54 AM   #29
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

I discovered DC comics around the time Superman's Death and Return was reprinted in Germany. So my first Green Lantern was technically Hal Jordan. And I liked him. I liked the powers.
Then, I read DC vs Marvel and found out about Kyle. And I found him even more interesting than Hal. To me (back then), Hal was this old dude with the Richards-hair and the boring costume. And Kyle was... me. In a way. Without Kyle, I never would have started to read US-comics (at the time, there were no German reprints of Green Lantern, so I had no choice). I found all of the back issues, starting with #48. And I liked Emerald Twilight. Because I could really see Hal's point of view. He wasn't a villain to me. One of my favorite issues back then was the 1995 annual, where Hal and Kyle switch bodies. To me, they represented two sides of the same coin. Hal was the traditionalist, the conservative, who wants everything to be like it ever was. Kyle was the artist, the creator. Change wasn't inherently bad, sometimes it was necessary. But change for change's sake leads nowhere. Just like blind conservativism prevents you from experiencing new things. I think the balance is important.

Anyway, enough ramblings. What I meant to say is:
I didn't quit Lantern comics after Twilight, I started after Twilight. And stayed. At least until Judd Winick took over, I just didn't like his stories (even though I loved Frumpy the Clown). I came back for Ron Marz' "Homecoming" and Geoff Johns' "Rebirth". Back then, I thought that Rebirth was too much blind conservativism, so since I didn't have much money to spend on comics, I didn't bother getting Green Lantern.
A year or two later, I started to correspond with Geoff Johns online, and he wanted to send me Green Lantern #1-13. I didn't want him to think that I only wanted the comics, so I suggested that he could donate them if he desperately wanted to give them away. He was stubborn, but so was I. In the end, I looked for the issues in three different cities and bought them. Seems silly now that I look back on it. But anyway, I really enjoyed the issues. So since then, I went from an occasional Geoff Johns reader to a completist. And I finally collect Green Lantern again. Couldn't have gotten in at a better time.

Last edited by Michael Heide; 12-17-2007 at 06:56 AM.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 07:32 PM   #30
BuckyBarnes45

As the "new guy" I gotta say... I like a lot of discussons here... (and seeing some really col custom figs)

but when I see polls like this "Emerald Suckfest" and the "options" being:
1. I quit reading
2. I kept on reading, I have no taste

it comes of as brow beating and insulting. I've been a GL fan for years and enjoyed various Hal incarnations over the decades and loved Kyle's time, especially Marz's run. Invested in some original Silver Age stories and archives... All Star Squadron introcuded me to Alan and made me a huge JSA fan as well. I did not like Jones' run on Hal but LOVED Mosaic with John (what a cool book with great art by Cully Hammer).

So sorry pally, before we see "this was a joke" I should state my "taste" is just as valid as anyone else here.

I was reading this board for a bit before posting (and feeling like 17 below freezing outside, g.f. has the car, I am stranded home BORED today) and some said you like it here because of less "flaming" than other boards. So why go out of your way to insult readers for liking a particular era of comics from 14 years ago? Or insulting the comic pros associated with those stories?

I'm not really seeing a lot of tollerance for other types of fans and might reconsider posting here. If this board is just a bunch of "Hal ONLY fans" agreeing with each other, and yet another "brow beating" boards of "older" fans who seem to think they can "tell me like it is".....
what's the point?
Old 02-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #31
BuckyBarnes45

>>> He will NEVER be Hal, but I have finally accepted him as a cool character in his own right. <<<

Which is something I LIKED about Kyle.
He was near the age of a lot of 90s comic readers at the time...I'm not that age anymore, but still remember that "uncertainty" of being in my early 20s despite a college degree and starting a career in the ups and downs of 90s-today job markets.

Wally will "never" be Barry Allen.
Dick will "never" be Bruce Wayne.

These comparissions are futile. We had a lot of Presidents, and I think it would be conter productive to say "___ will never be George Washinton" for example.

Hal was not "the first" GL but to many people he IS because the Silver Age book took a different spin on the GL mythos (as opposed to Silver Age Superman and Batman who just kept the ball a rolling).

Also, having Alan, a guy jsut as powerful and who was a lot more experienced on "Earth 2" there was never any real competition and Hal just grew into his own character. (I kind of always like JAY better than Barry by the way).

Many original Alan fans stopped reading comics...as opposed to Hal fans who kept at it years later.

John Stewart was the "spare" that was rarely used. The 1980s short changed him...Hal was STILL in the book, getting half the screen time, and powerless. Then that $%*&ing era of Crisis pointless crossovers happened and John was seen less and less..then reduced to sharing a book with Hal and a host of other GLs including a talking squirrel...JOHN never got the chance to shine either (and Mosaic later rocked)

Sorry for the rant. But I feel that some fans thinking "liking Kyle" means "not liking Hal."

Oh...and despite liking Jay more than Barry that didnt mean I "hated" Barry either.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:03 AM   #32
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Well said.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:37 AM   #33
Truegreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyBarnes45 View Post
>>> He will NEVER be Hal, but I have finally accepted him as a cool character in his own right. <<<

Which is something I LIKED about Kyle.
He was near the age of a lot of 90s comic readers at the time...I'm not that age anymore, but still remember that "uncertainty" of being in my early 20s despite a college degree and starting a career in the ups and downs of 90s-today job markets.

Wally will "never" be Barry Allen.
Dick will "never" be Bruce Wayne.

These comparissions are futile. We had a lot of Presidents, and I think it would be conter productive to say "___ will never be George Washinton" for example.

Hal was not "the first" GL but to many people he IS because the Silver Age book took a different spin on the GL mythos (as opposed to Silver Age Superman and Batman who just kept the ball a rolling).

Also, having Alan, a guy jsut as powerful and who was a lot more experienced on "Earth 2" there was never any real competition and Hal just grew into his own character. (I kind of always like JAY better than Barry by the way).

Many original Alan fans stopped reading comics...as opposed to Hal fans who kept at it years later.

John Stewart was the "spare" that was rarely used. The 1980s short changed him...Hal was STILL in the book, getting half the screen time, and powerless. Then that $%*&ing era of Crisis pointless crossovers happened and John was seen less and less..then reduced to sharing a book with Hal and a host of other GLs including a talking squirrel...JOHN never got the chance to shine either (and Mosaic later rocked)

Sorry for the rant. But I feel that some fans thinking "liking Kyle" means "not liking Hal."

Oh...and despite liking Jay more than Barry that didnt mean I "hated" Barry either.
You're so right. You don't have to like one or the other. You can like both. They're not mutually exclusive.

I was 14-15 (man time flies... I'm hittin' my dirty 30 next month) when ET happened. I didn't like it or the new guy so I quit. I didn't make it my life's mission to harp on anyone that liked the story and everything that happened afterwards.

I just read what I liked until something about GL intrigued me enough or appealed to me again (which happened to be Rebirth).

Even today Kyle's my least favourite GL, but I still don't wish him or his fans any ill will, and I've even been able to enjoy his appearances at times.

Last edited by Truegreen; 02-11-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:21 AM   #34
Myth

I was reading a little bit of Green Lantern before Emerald Twilight but it was with Kyle that I started reading.

My opinion? Kyle's my favorite Lantern because I feel closer to him and I've read him the most. Hal is cool too though. Both rule. I was admittedly upset that Jordan replaced Kyle when he returned to the comic book but it's all cool.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:20 AM   #35
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truegreen View Post
You're so right. You don't have to like one or the other. You can like both. They're not mutually exclusive.

I was 14-15 (man time flies... I'm hittin' my dirty 30 next month) when ET happened.
Damn time does fly. We'll blink, and then be remembering, "You guys remember that Sinestro Corps War 10 years ago?)
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:03 PM   #36
Lord Malvolio
Corps Honor Guard

Send a message via Yahoo to Lord Malvolio

Well, after #50, I tried to like it, but just didn't. I soon stopped collecting it, then would only pick up the Hal appearances. Then, like Dave, came back on board around #99 and stayed with it till Kyle's end, still not really enjoying the series much. I read, all with high hopes, at some point, HAL WILL RETURN, and stuck by my guns until it happened! Since Hal's return, I have sold ALL my Kyle issues on ebay (except the Hal appearances of course).

Lord Malvolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 02:07 PM   #37
Lord Malvolio
Corps Honor Guard

Send a message via Yahoo to Lord Malvolio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Ennis View Post

I will give Marz credit for creating some realy cool villians like Effigy and Nero but the series wasn't worth reading again until Marz left.
Well, you better give Judd Winick credit then, as he invented Nero!

Lord Malvolio is offline   Reply With Quote