The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 3
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 3
View Poll Results: Do you like "Emerald Twilight"?
Yes 90 73.17%
No 33 26.83%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2007, 04:13 AM   #51
raynersraider

If ET had never happened, would GL end up being the hot-ticket item that it is today? Or would it be like Aquaman, which has its hardcore fans, to be sure, but kind of gets a title then fizzles out and gets another title, fizzle, and so on.

ET did inspire a lot of passion for GL, led to one of the most hotly-debated topics ever (Kyle v. Hal), brought in fresh readers (like me) and rallied Hal's supporters.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:24 PM   #52
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynersraider View Post
If ET had never happened, would GL end up being the hot-ticket item that it is today? Or would it be like Aquaman, which has its hardcore fans, to be sure, but kind of gets a title then fizzles out and gets another title, fizzle, and so on.

ET did inspire a lot of passion for GL, led to one of the most hotly-debated topics ever (Kyle v. Hal), brought in fresh readers (like me) and rallied Hal's supporters.
Oh, I wouldn't dispute that ET was a landmark moment in GL history that had major repercussions both in continuity and in the fanbase.

But that doesn't mean it was GOOD.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:58 PM   #53
Parrylakks
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Parrylakks

But it was good.
You just don't realize it, yet.
Parrylakks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:06 PM   #54
Nived

Looking back I can see why people were upset, but I was 11, and I was shocked by it and fully on board with Kyle. Reading it now.. no its not a good decent of a character, but I wont bash it... Editorial put down an impossible mandate... destroy a character before issue 50.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:23 AM   #55
Nightranger

Are there any people who really thought the story of Hal's fall from grace was compelling, or do people who like Emerald Twilight only like it because they hate Hal Jordan?
Old 07-07-2007, 07:06 PM   #56
Parrylakks
Banned

Have you read my posts?
Old 07-08-2007, 12:44 AM   #57
SidCeaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrylakks View Post
But it was good.
You just don't realize it, yet.

Umm, no, it wasn't good. It was insulting.

Again, imagine being a Hal fan that was there for decades. In the span of three issues, they trashed everything that established the previous thirty years of character development. For someone that grew up with Hal, after the initial confusion of "what the hell are they doing?" wore off, it just became sad.

I've seen blatant disregards of character before, but never to such a degree. It was obvious that nobody that OK'ed that story cared at all about the history of Hal Jordan. All that concerned them was how many sales figures they could get with the shock of a major character change.

Come to think of it, there wasn't anything that was good in the early-to-mid '90's. It was a rather low period for comic books. Everything took advantage of the "collectors" (multi cover books, multi #1's, ect) to a pathetic extent.

It was an insult to the character, and to every person that supported the Green Lantern title from the last thirty years.

For those that came on at the time of ET and Kyle, imagine spending two decades reading and collecting a character only to see in the span of three issues that character take a complete 180 and defy everything he did or said the twenty years previous.

It was bad writing. It was deplorable, and it should never have happened.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:54 AM   #58
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidCeaser View Post
Come to think of it, there wasn't anything that was good in the early-to-mid '90's. It was a rather low period for comic books. Everything took advantage of the "collectors" (multi cover books, multi #1's, ect) to a pathetic extent.
I'm not sure Hal really had anything meaningful done with him in the 80s, either (just that nonsense story where he stopped being GL for a few issues). "Tales of the Green Lantern Corps" and its annuals were great reading, but Hal wasn't really a part of those. "Emerald Twilight," like it or hate it, actually had the guts to take what we thought we knew and put a spin on it.

In any case, it's 2007, Hal is back in the limelight and there's a whole new generation of GL fans who never would have picked up GL if not for the ET angle. Everyone should be happy now, would you agree?
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 05:35 AM   #59
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

From Ron Marz:

I was given an outline for the story that became "Emerald Twilight." It was a little less than two pages, but included major points like Hal destroying the Corps and the Central Battery, killing Sinestro, the Guardians being sacrificed, and Hal becoming a "villain." Darryl Banks came up with the Parallax costume and name. I had a lot freer hand with Kyle -- there was really no direction on that, other than "create a new GL."
Old 07-08-2007, 08:07 AM   #60
Raker616
Corps Honor Guard

So this is where all the Kyle fans hang out between this site and Newsarama I guess Kyle is actually pretty popular who knew?.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:58 PM   #61
raynersraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raker616 View Post
So this is where all the Kyle fans hang out between this site and Newsarama I guess Kyle is actually pretty popular who knew?.
Well...yeah. He wouldn't have held the solo title for 10+ years if he didn't have something going for him.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:29 PM   #62
Nived

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidCeaser View Post
Umm, no, it wasn't good. It was insulting.

Again, imagine being a Hal fan that was there for decades. In the span of three issues, they trashed everything that established the previous thirty years of character development. For someone that grew up with Hal, after the initial confusion of "what the hell are they doing?" wore off, it just became sad.

I've seen blatant disregards of character before, but never to such a degree. It was obvious that nobody that OK'ed that story cared at all about the history of Hal Jordan. All that concerned them was how many sales figures they could get with the shock of a major character change.

It was an insult to the character, and to every person that supported the Green Lantern title from the last thirty years.

For those that came on at the time of ET and Kyle, imagine spending two decades reading and collecting a character only to see in the span of three issues that character take a complete 180 and defy everything he did or said the twenty years previous.

It was bad writing. It was deplorable, and it should never have happened.
Yet it accomplished what it set out to do. There are plenty of people intimidated by 30 years of history they might never pick up or even understand. At 12 years old reading comics for maybe two years Green Lantern was mind boggling even though I did think his powers were sweet. The aftermath of Emerald Twilight gave me a jumping on point. Not just myself but plenty of other people. Maybe you hate what was done to Hal but he's certainly not alone in that department. Cassandra Cain comes to mind heroes turned to villians with little or in this case no explaination, Maxwell Lord, Tony Stark... wait he's not a villian just a douche... ANYWAY these things happen, particularly to poorly selling comics.

I jumped on and I started reading and I like Kyle... sorry about what happened to your favorite character man but I like mine.

That's the thing though, I never minded Hal I certainly read some Green Lantern (but actually more Guy stuff) before Emerald Twilight... I never hated the chracter... what I 'hate' is Hal fans that interpret my like of Kyle as a direct disrespecting of their character. I like Hal. Hell you know what I thought was the best time to be a Green Lantern fan.... what I think was the best damn era of Green Lantern?

From Rebirth to Infinite Crisis.

Alan had JSA.
Hal had Green Lantern.
John had JLA.
Kyle & Guy had Green Lantern Corps: Recharge.

They were all "Green Lantern"

That was the best time, shame it was so short.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:16 PM   #63
HalFingJordan

Quote:
Kyle is an abortion of a character and I'm not here to hang with Kylites, I'm here to talk Hal.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:11 PM   #64
Parrylakks
Banned

Don't worry, HalFingJordan, you still have us.
Old 07-08-2007, 11:49 PM   #65
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

Default The only thing I liked (love) about Emerald Twilight...

The ultra cool armor designed by Daryl Banks one of the best costume designs of the last 25 years. 0
EmeraldGladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 11:56 PM   #66
Lightninbug

I liked it! now if they'd just give kyle an oath.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:11 AM   #67
Nived

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalFingJordan View Post
Kyle is an abortion of a character and I'm not here to hang with Kylites, I'm here to talk Hal.
See this I don't get, the outright hatred. A lot of people like his character, a lot of people like Kyle and Hal. You don't have to hate one to like the other.

Relax man.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:22 AM   #68
raynersraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalFingJordan View Post
Old 07-09-2007, 02:52 AM   #69
Cephied Variable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightranger View Post
Are there any people who really thought the story of Hal's fall from grace was compelling, or do people who like Emerald Twilight only like it because they hate Hal Jordan?
*wave wave* I said earlier in the thread that I think ET sucks because it DOES. It's terrible, inexplicable writing, but I think good writers (or even mediocre ones) made good stories come OUT of it. If it HADN'T happened, Hal wouldn't have become one of my favorite DC characters. I'd be reading GL just for Guy and, like, Salaak. :P

Also, raynersraider? Is that a screenshot from 'Francis the Talking Mule', or am I just imagining things?
Old 07-09-2007, 02:59 AM   #70
raynersraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephied Variable View Post
Also, raynersraider? Is that a screenshot from 'Francis the Talking Mule', or am I just imagining things?
Egads, no! That's Sgt. Hulka from "Stripes." An American classic starring the incomparable Bill Murray and the late, great John Candy.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:11 AM   #71
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
So this is where all the Kyle fans hang out
Well, this board is only a couple weeks old now so I'm not certain we've really found our niche yet. In any case, I like to think we're not "the Kyle Fans board" or "the Hal Fans board" but rather the "Green Lantern fans board."
Old 07-09-2007, 03:15 AM   #72
Cephied Variable

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynersraider View Post
Egads, no! That's Sgt. Hulka from "Stripes." An American classic starring the incomparable Bill Murray and the late, great John Candy.
It might be a little sad that I've never heard of that movie, yet know all about 'Francis the Talking Mule'. O__O
Old 07-09-2007, 03:21 AM   #73
raynersraider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cephied Variable View Post
It might be a little sad that I've never heard of that movie, yet know all about 'Francis the Talking Mule'. O__O
Stripes....highly, HIGHLY recommended if you like to laugh.
Old 07-09-2007, 03:50 AM   #74
GLJIMT

Good lord, I'm busy one Sunday and come back to Pages and Pages of Posts.
That is great and by the way we can debate the merits of both characters but do not just outright hate on a Kyle fan or a Hal fan.

Hate the character if you want to but explain yourself in a rational logical manner and leave the poster out of it.
II THESSALONIANS 3:10

GLJIMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:25 AM   #75
Nightranger

Nobody likes Emerald Twilight except rabid Hal Jordan haters.