The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 3
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 3
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2007, 04:49 PM   #26
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 13,583
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zechs View Post
Ok, I have to ask.. when did Hal as Parallax face the Dark Lantern aka Kilowag? That wasn't in GL? So when did that occur?
It happened in the Legacy: Last Will & Testamenet of Hal Jordan graphic novel. It was here that Oa was also recreated.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:51 PM   #27
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 13,583
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zechs View Post
Also.. Kylax:
Posted that up here in June :
http://www.thegreenlanterncorps.com/...thread.php?t=2

The higher-res shot from there:

Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:58 PM   #28
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer
 
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: At Toshi Station picking up some power converters
Posts: 15,770
Default

Just checked out this tread. Man, what a stroll down memory lane. No GOOD memories for me mind you, but memories nonetheless.

When I see Banks' version of Parallax, I'm always convinced he used Alan Thicke from Growing Pains as a model, lol.
__________________
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 05:28 PM   #29
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller
 
Andrew NDB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Evergreen State
Posts: 13,583
Blog Entries: 5
Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Cormier View Post
When I see Banks' version of Parallax, I'm always convinced he used Alan Thicke from Growing Pains as a model, lol.
I always saw a bit of Dennis Quaid in the Banks model myself.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:21 PM   #30
genesistorm
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I always saw a bit of Dennis Quaid in the Banks model myself.
True!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:08 PM   #31
Phil3940
Fatality's Blacksmith
 
Phil3940's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 148
Send a message via AIM to Phil3940 Send a message via Yahoo to Phil3940
Default

anyone have more pics ?
Phil3940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #32
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.
 
Deadpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The bed of whoever pays for the night.
Posts: 5,793
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Wow, this is an old thread. Anyway, I thought i'd just post a few pictures here:



__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
(even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:35 AM   #33
G'nortDoggie88
Major Force's Dinner Date
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 78
Default



SMUG JORDAN IS SMUG
__________________


Give 'em the evil look son!
G'nortDoggie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #34
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.
 
Deadpool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The bed of whoever pays for the night.
Posts: 5,793
Blog Entries: 5
Default

Nice pic.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
(even if the ear sucking helped get me off faster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #35
BLACK HAND
Star Sapphire's Love Slave
 
BLACK HAND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 371
Default

These are very cool. I need to go back and catch the whole Parrallax bit. I didn't start reading until the rebirth. I thought I started with Blackest Night but going back I had a bunch of the rebirth issues as well. Before that not much, and Parrallax seems like a good place to start.
BLACK HAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:03 PM   #36
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan
 
SD80MAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,018
Default

Original Parallax is many orders of magnitude better than retconned Parallax.

Let us know what you think of the old stories, BH. They don't work with Rebirth and the new era at all, but they're still highly underrated.
__________________
The last fan of 1990s comics
Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe
SD80MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #37
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color
 
Mister Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 14,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
Original Parallax is many orders of magnitude better than retconned Parallax.
If you say so. Most of the old Parallax stories struck me as DC desperately hitting the readers over the head with, "Look, Hal really IS crazy! Look, look!" as if what they utterly failed to establish through any logical development in ET (in my opinion, at least) they could instead establish through simple repetition.

Later there was also a bit of, "No look, we didn't TOTALLY trash the character! See, a glimmer of the man he was! Doesn't that make up for it?" but initially it was mostly reinforcing the crazy.
__________________
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #38
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan
 
SD80MAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,018
Default

Well, duh. DC has never thought much of the intelligence of its readers. It's even worse nowadays.

At any rate, flawed antihero is always better than "Blah! Scary! Fear!" giant space bug.
__________________
The last fan of 1990s comics
Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe
SD80MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:06 PM   #39
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color
 
Mister Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 14,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
Well, duh. DC has never thought much of the intelligence of its readers. It's even worse nowadays.

At any rate, flawed antihero is always better than "Blah! Scary! Fear!" giant space bug.
Matter of opinion. Flawed anti-hero incompetently hacked from genuine hero doesn't really beat living embodiment of fear for me.

More importantly, fear bug that is hardly ever mentioned anymore FAR AND AWAY beats repeated bashing over the head with incompetently derived anti-hero, IMHO. We got bashed over the head with the fear bug a bit at first, but now he's faded away, whereas nutty Hal kept popping up to show us how nuts he was for YEARS.
__________________

Last edited by Mister Ed; 04-27-2012 at 10:10 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #40
BLACK HAND
Star Sapphire's Love Slave
 
BLACK HAND's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
Original Parallax is many orders of magnitude better than retconned Parallax.

Let us know what you think of the old stories, BH. They don't work with Rebirth and the new era at all, but they're still highly underrated.
Will do! I'm going to try to grab some this weekend.
BLACK HAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:32 AM   #41
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan
 
SD80MAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Matter of opinion. Flawed anti-hero incompetently hacked from genuine hero doesn't really beat living embodiment of fear for me.
That wasn't the problem. The problem was claiming that this bug drove Hal as far back as his road trip with Ollie, and everything he did was based on fear...which was completely at odds with what Parallax was actually doing.
Quote:
More importantly, fear bug that is hardly ever mentioned anymore FAR AND AWAY beats repeated bashing over the head with incompetently derived anti-hero, IMHO. We got bashed over the head with the fear bug a bit at first, but now he's faded away, whereas nutty Hal kept popping up to show us how nuts he was for YEARS.
The fear bug was part of the big GL event last year. Hardly faded away. I've got a feeling those entities are going to show up in the next event, too.
__________________
The last fan of 1990s comics
Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe
SD80MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #42
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color
 
Mister Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 14,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
That wasn't the problem. The problem was claiming that this bug drove Hal as far back as his road trip with Ollie, and everything he did was based on fear...which was completely at odds with what Parallax was actually doing.
I agree that pegging it back that far was a mistake that did a disservice to some darn good stories and character development. However, I have no problem with how the retcon works ET and later. (At least until Johns went and retconned his own retcon to make Parallax a puppeteer who totally controls the host, while only PRETENDING to be them. That totally whacked the entire notion that Hal didn't REALIZE he was being manipulated, and his essentially heroic nature could peek through at times, despite Parallax's wishes.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
The fear bug was part of the big GL event last year. Hardly faded away. I've got a feeling those entities are going to show up in the next event, too.
But he was a SMALL part. Parallax now (and really since SCW) is a minor character, lucky to get a few panels when he shows up, lost among the general mess of all the other entities. Every time HAL Parallax showed up, he pretty much became the main focus of whatever story was going on, spouting line after line to try to reinforce his nuttiness.
__________________
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #43
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern
 
Gauntlet101010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,233
Default

I think one of the best parallax stories was in Silver Surfer / GL. Most of the time Parallax was always in the wrong, but in that story he actually explained his point of view to a sympathetic ear without just going nuts about bringing back the past. If they had made more stories about Parallax actually doing some genuine good with his powers I'd have missed him more when they did away with him.

I didn't like the fear bug retcon when it happened, but it works well enough.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #44
SD80MAC
Not a True Fan
 
SD80MAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,018
Default

Yeah, I always found Silver Surfer/GL to be highly underrated. Great story, and the always-kickass Banks art!
Quote:
But he was a SMALL part. Parallax now (and really since SCW) is a minor character, lucky to get a few panels when he shows up, lost among the general mess of all the other entities. Every time HAL Parallax showed up, he pretty much became the main focus of whatever story was going on, spouting line after line to try to reinforce his nuttiness.
Parallax was not a small part of War of the GLs. Not in the least!

Original Parallax didn't show up that often post-ET; they had to "reinforce his nuttiness" because back then, DC subscribed to the correct belief that every issue was someone's first. Explaining the character's motives was necessary to draw in readers. It's not like today, where a single issue will confuse the hell out of anyone who hasn't read GL books continuously since at least 2007. (I've sadly watched this happen far too often at my LCS.)
__________________
The last fan of 1990s comics
Read my Green Lantern blog The Indigo Tribe

Last edited by SD80MAC; 05-01-2012 at 03:08 PM.
SD80MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #45
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color
 
Mister Ed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 14,559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD80MAC View Post
Parallax was not a small part of War of the GLs. Not in the least!
If you say so. I recall him simply being a plot device, used by Krona (the real focus) to corrupt the Corps, with little panel time and few lines. Haven't read it since it first came out, so maybe I'm misremembering.

I recall Hal showing up in Zero Hour, in Guy's title, in various one-shots, and like 3 or 4 times in GL. And Final Night, of course, though they were trying to downplay his nuttiness a bit there. Plus the (to my mind) annoying bits found in various places where they had scenes set in the past designed to retroactively make it seem like Hal had always been potentially unstable.

Maybe I was just overly sensitized because I thought Hal's turn to Parallax was so poorly done, but I feel like he was much more likely to be a main focus when he appeared than bug Parallax is post SCW.
__________________
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.