The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 3
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 3
View Poll Results: Which would you prefer?
Emerald Dawn 60 54.05%
Secret Origins 51 45.95%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2008, 03:57 AM   #1
protocida
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Default EMERALD DAWN or SECRET ORIGINS.

Which would you rather see on the big screen: "Emerald Dawn" or "Secret Origins"?
protocida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 04:53 AM   #2
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Secret Origins..by a MILE.

I liked ED when it came out, but it really hasn't stood the test of time. SO is far superior in almost every way. And I think with a few changes, it'd translate better to film.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:37 AM   #3
Parrylakks
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Parrylakks

I really don't like Secret Origins... so Emerald Dawn is my obvious vote... and lucky me, the script is closer to ED!
Parrylakks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:04 AM   #4
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Emerald Dawn... by a mile. Not because Secret Origins isn't well-crafted or good for the comics, but to put it on screen... it suffers a very weak third act (especially in comparison to ED), an insufficient climax for GL on the big screen, and is leans too much toward "Let's set up Blackest Night" and not "Let's tell the best damn Hal Jordan origin we can."
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
Raker616
Corps Honor Guard

Secret Origins for me, not only does it lead into Blackest Night but it finally gives Hal an epic origin bigger than anything in ED which did more harm than good in the end.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #6
Lundonj

I don't know that either story would translate especially well to the big screen. Each would have to be streamlined a bit, and Sinestro best look and sound convincing, or neither story will hook non-comic and non-GL members of the audience.

I liked both stories, but I liked SO better than ED.

-Don
Old 10-19-2008, 09:11 AM   #7
Cephied Variable

Secret Origin didn't do anything for me as a comic and I can't imagine it as the first parlay onto the screen for Green Lantern. It took, what, a year to tell and I feel like nothing even happened in it. Emerald Dawn was epic, at least even if flawed.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:27 AM   #8
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

Well reading the 1st draft script there are some elements of Geoff's run on GL. The emotional spectrum is mentioned a couple of times, vaguely but still it's a mention. Legion himself is just Parallax with a different name and design but his origin is so obviously a reinterpretation of Parallax. So in a lot of ways this is Geoff's movie on so many levels that it isn't funny.

Darth_Andrea
Old 10-19-2008, 01:56 PM   #9
TheLegendLives

I would say that Secret Origin would make a great movie, but as Andrew said above, the third act was just so weak. I loved the origin, but it was one of the more anti-clamactic stories I've read in a few years.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:49 PM   #10
JMW326
Green Lantern Initiate

Send a message via Yahoo to JMW326

I realy like both. Emerald Dawn is my favorite but I have no problems with them updating a story every few years. Secret Origins did that perfectly. But I still love Emerald Dawn.
JMW326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:31 AM   #11
IonFan
Forum Member

ED was the 1st (and the best), also it had more GLC action in it

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k the "Deep-State" and screw all the fake news, one year in and I still support our President one
Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:55 PM   #12
Lord Malvolio
Corps Honor Guard

Send a message via Yahoo to Lord Malvolio

Well dang, I voted before I knew the question! I thought it was "What was your fav origin story. " But I actually think ED is the better origin for a screen play. SO has too much "extra" stuff not needed for a 2 hour movie and would confuse a lot of people. (and would probably be deleted anyhow). ED is the semi-perfect prototype story for a movie script.

SO still bugged me as how defiant Hal is towards the Guardians. I know he is a maverick and all, but also a true Air Force officer knows when to show respect towards superiors.

Lord Malvolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 05:11 PM   #13
protocida
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

"Emerald Dawn" and "Secret Origins" combined would create the best Green Lantern movie ever! "ED" plot (Hal Jordan receives the ring of the deceased Green Lantern of sector 2814 to stop the revengefull Legion) with some of "SO" moments (The Jordan's dynamic, Hal's relationships with Carol and Sinestro, the meeting with the Guardians) would by sure render a big boxoffice!

It would surpass "The Dark Knigh"
protocida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:05 AM   #14
GL Drei
Corpse Trainee

secret origins......
GL Drei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:30 AM   #15
Prime
Attention Whore

I liked both a lot but for this one I'm really gonna have to go with Emerald Dawn. Better to have a plot that has a bunch of hints at something that won't be made into a movie.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:39 PM   #16
Rayner.2814.4
Hal's Understudy

It's very hard too choose between both Emerald Dawn and Secret Origins...

On one side with EMERALD DAWN we have the makings of an inexperienced Hal Jordan with no bearing on his life. He has no idea what the hell he's doing, and very much wings and lucks out for the most part, but does it with great bravado. Also we have a look at what a yellow plated mechanical humanoid test tube (Legion) would look like.

While this adaptation of Harold "Falcon" Jordan's origins have what some say a lot "more" story... that isn't necessarily a bonus. Most of it is Hal's inability to actually do anything, but feel sorry for himself and make a situation worst before it gets any better. Granted I enjoyed these parts it makes Hal seem like a guy down on his luck handed the most powerful weapon in the universe... his luck however still in the shitter though.

-and-

On the other side we have SECRET ORIGIN which has been called a brilliant story, but has a lack luster end. In this adaptation of Harold "Highball" Jordan's origin we have a semi-inexperience Hal Jordan who is full of bravado, and only seems to be where he is because he chose that outcome. We also get the feeling of more as if there are real questions yet to be answered. (Which is true.)

With the story here we get a more rounded view of a Hal Jordan who is capable and self-reliant, but is rough around the edges. He questions, because he doesn't understand, but isn't afraid of letting it be known. We're even shown more of his family, and his rough relationship with Carol... just no fully automated walking yellow test tube.

Both of the stories can compliment each other if done correctly, and both can illustrate the emergence of a young inexperience Hal Jordan who is thrust into a world and a grand scheme he seems destined for, but I do enjoy Secret Origin just a tad better if not for nothing else... I just like that Hal actually asked the question "Why Yellow?"
Old 12-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #17
General grievous
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

I voted secret origins but is my vote valid seen as though i have never read emerald dawn?

I would read it some day.

Personally, I loved secret origins that much i went out and bought the hardcover edition as well for the book shelves.
General grievous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 11:52 PM   #18
artisticblasts

Secret Origins
Old 12-19-2008, 11:30 PM   #19
GL_2814
Bond, Lantern Bond

For me it's kind of six of one, half dozen of another.
GL_2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:12 AM   #20
artisticblasts

Make two-parter movie sequel, like the original plan Dick Donner had for Superman movie?

Old 12-20-2008, 07:46 PM   #21
GL_2814
Bond, Lantern Bond

I just don't think it matters what origin they tell, because it's going to be Hal's origin. AGAIN. I just don't like having to see his origin again. Jump right into some crazy stuff.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:14 AM   #22
artisticblasts

Would you like to see a movie of Alan Scott's origin?

Old 12-23-2008, 04:29 AM   #23
GL_2814
Bond, Lantern Bond

Alan would be better because we haven't seen it done 8 different ways since the character's debut.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:41 AM   #24
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisticblasts View Post
Would you like to see a movie of Alan Scott's origin?

As a film? No. At least not if there's any intention of also doing Hal and the Corps. Too confusing, too convoluted a thing to get your average audience's head around to have both.

One thing I'd consider if I were a filmmaker on Green Lantern, and this would probably anger a lot of people, would be replacing Abin Sur's character with Alan Scott. But with Alan Scott as a regular member of the GLC, dying in the line of duty and passing his ring to Hal in a similar sequence to Hal's origin story (only probably with no spaceship).
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:51 AM   #25
GL_2814
Bond, Lantern Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
As a film? No. At least not if there's any intention of also doing Hal and the Corps. Too confusing, too convoluted a thing to get your average audience's head around to have both.

One thing I'd consider if I were a filmmaker on Green Lantern, and this would probably anger a lot of people, would be replacing Abin Sur's character with Alan Scott. But with Alan Scott as a regular member of the GLC, dying in the line of duty and passing his ring to Hal in a similar sequence to Hal's origin story (only probably with no spaceship).
NO, we need Abin.