The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern Vol. 3
FLASHCHAT

GL Volume 3

Old 07-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #26
Raker616
Corps Honor Guard

Quote:
Really the most important thing that Geoff Johns has done is to finally junk Denny O'Neil's horrible characterization of Hal, which plagued the character for 30 years. With Hal no longer an insecure self-doubter, he'll be a strong seller henceforth. And not dependent on the continued presence of Geoff Johns.
Truer words have never been spoken, as long as Hal is written like himself he'll always have an audience when writers try to change him that's when things go to hell.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:25 PM   #27
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy Smasher View Post
And I like it when people insinuate that Hal was "canceled over low sales" when the comic got rolled into ACW, or that Hal wasn't the star during the two years that the comic became the GLC and also during the ACW period. Just very dishonest there.
That they slapped a different coat of paint on his book didn't make it not his book.

Quote:
And something that always inlflated Kyle's sales was the fact that so many Hal fans had the foolish idea that they had to "show support" and keep buying the comic during the Kyle years, when really all they were doing was supporting Kyle. I used to argue myself blue in the face with them on the message boards that they should drop the comic in protest until Hal was brought back, but to no avail.
This seems largely stemming from your opinion, and something I think would be hard for you to quantify.

Quote:
Really the most important thing that Geoff Johns has done is to finally junk Denny O'Neil's horrible characterization of Hal, which plagued the character for 30 years.
Which is well over half the character's entire existance.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:28 PM   #28
Gl Josh
Senior Corps Member

Well, actually depending on exactly how you look at...Kyle's run is still going. He has featured in Rebirth, Recharge, GLC, if you count Ion, and back to GLC. Does this mean he is better? Nope. No if you count character name changes and not book title name changes...then Kyle's run gets interrupted when he became Ion. So 51-144(?) or 93 and then 150-181 then 31.
Originally Posted by BatmanofSector2814 View Post
I have yet to see Avatar, mainly because it is the plot of Pocahontas wrapped in a "Halo vs World of Warcraft" flavored, CGI heavy shell...and I've already seen Pocahontas and played all 5 Halos...so....
Gl Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:59 PM   #29
Gauntlet101010
Alpha-Lantern

ACW wasn't solely Hal's book ... nor was he a really big part of that book. He wasn't even in there for the entire run of ACW. He was there for most of the run, but not all of it. It was definately an iterrupt in the GL series.

I wouldn't count the change in titles from GL to GLC as an "interrupted run" in Hal's tenure on GL, though. Nor would I say his time as a civillian (while John was main GL) count as an interrupt in his run; he was still very much part of the book.
Gauntlet101010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #30
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

>>This seems largely stemming from your opinion, and something I think would be hard for you to quantify.<<

True, but in a lot of years of posting about this I've met just one Hal fan who dropped the comic because of ET. I don't think there were a lot of them.

The other side of that coin is that Hal bombed as the Spectre. So how many hard-core Hal fans were there in the late 1990s who would read him in anything? Not all that many, it seems.

You say that Hal has been badly portrayed for more than half his history, and you're correct.

I think the bottom line here is that what sells is Hal starring in Green Lantern, portrayed like a Green Lantern and a test pilot. That should have been very obvious, but unfortunately it took 30 years for Geoff Johns to come along and figure it out.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 12:18 AM   #31
hYPE

Quote:
>>This seems largely stemming from your opinion, and something I think would be hard for you to quantify.<<

True, but in a lot of years of posting about this I've met just one Hal fan who dropped the comic because of ET. I don't think there were a lot of them.

The other side of that coin is that Hal bombed as the Spectre. So how many hard-core Hal fans were there in the late 1990s who would read him in anything? Not all that many, it seems.

You say that Hal has been badly portrayed for more than half his history, and you're correct.

I think the bottom line here is that what sells is Hal starring in Green Lantern, portrayed like a Green Lantern and a test pilot. That should have been very obvious, but unfortunately it took 30 years for Geoff Johns to come along and figure it out.
Geoff Johns is a brilliant writer and I'm so glad he took over GL!
Old 07-16-2009, 12:43 AM   #32
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

He's especially good at cleaning up the messes that other writers and editors have made, and that's what he did with GL.

I think he'll write the comic until he drops dead, because he loves writing it. I don't think the comic is dependent on him any more though. He's fixed it.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #33
tommyofshaolin
Green Lantern Initiate

Hey, I bring this up a lot, but technically Kyle has been a GL for more than 3000 years,,,!
tommyofshaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:53 AM   #34
Barachiel

Actually, GL wasn't cancelled, it was merely retitled to GLC after issue 200 back during Volume 2, so I don't think that should count against Hal. It's no different than the various title changes the two main X-men titles have undergone over the years. So that would make Hal's uninterrupted run 112-224 I believe.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #35
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Volume 3 got "canceled" and rolled into Action Comics Weekly only because it was DC's top-selling title at the time.

That was a terrible blunder and led to problems took many years to resolve.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:52 PM   #36
jGLZa
Guy's Drinking Buddy

Quote:
Really the most important thing that Geoff Johns has done is to finally junk Denny O'Neil's horrible characterization of Hal, which plagued the character for 30 years. With Hal no longer an insecure self-doubter, he'll be a strong seller henceforth. And not dependent on the continued presence of Geoff Johns.
If this is true, then Im so happy my 1st exposure of Hal was in Rebirth!
Old 05-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #37
Power Ring
Torch Bearer

Kyle was an "everyman" with a ring. Not chosen like the rest. He didn't have the same qualities. But he's not as awful as some seem intent on painting him.

The resurrection of Jordan, and rest o the Corp is the best thing to happen, and the stories since have been awesome. Adding Kyle to the Corp was also show to b a good move. It's all an evolution. What works, continues on to survive. Nothing is perfect, but it's doing damn better than it has for quite some time. I'm loving what's happening so far, and am anxious to see where it leads.
Power Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:02 AM   #38
battlantern

Quote:
He's especially good at cleaning up the messes that other writers and editors have made, and that's what he did with GL.

I think he'll write the comic until he drops dead, because he loves writing it. I don't think the comic is dependent on him any more though. He's fixed it.
I agree with you on that. He took a title that had loose ends and fixed a character that everyone except a core group of fans largely didn't have a vested interest in.

Even though he is not a rookie anymore, Kyle is still great for a vantage point for readers that were just coming in at the time in the late 90's, and a good place for new readers to start a decent run.

Personally I think we are looking at this thread wrong. It shouldn't be who had a longer run, it should simply how many gaps did we go, if ever without having a GL book out there. Alan, Hal, Kyle, John and Guy. Doesn't matter to me, I just enjoy the idea of a Green Lantern even though admittedly Kyle is my favorite, I just just enjoy the book.

I would kill for G'nort to be back though!
Old 06-28-2010, 05:37 AM   #39
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB

Quote:
Volume 3 got "canceled" and rolled into Action Comics Weekly only because it was DC's top-selling title at the time.
Volume 2, you mean.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:09 AM   #40
Darth_Andrea
Owned by Natu

Send a message via MSN to Darth_Andrea

Yeah when Vol 3 was canceled GL Rebirth #1 came out the very next month.

Darth_Andrea