From Hal Jordan to ...Terry Berg?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lantern A-train View Post
    Let's not forget Wiccan & Hulkling. They are gay but not a huge deal made about it or the focal point of them
    Not to de-rail the topic but can a shapeshifter be classified as gay? A character that can change shape and appear, I am assuming to different genders (most other shifters can) can they really be classified in this manner.
    http://www.facebook.com/gljosh
    http://gljoshpresents.blip.tv/
    Originally posted by BatmanofSector2814
    I have yet to see Avatar, mainly because it is the plot of Pocahontas wrapped in a "Halo vs World of Warcraft" flavored, CGI heavy shell...and I've already seen Pocahontas and played all 5 Halos...so....

Comment

Skrulls have no default gender, Xavin of the Runaways confirmed that. Other shapeshifters might be a different story, though.

Comment

Obsidian being gay was obtuse in the JSA. It seemed like, every time he made an appearance, someone had to comment on him being gay. If the run had been longer it might have become a running gag.

As for Terry ... he was a plot device in Winnik's run. I didn't like how Kyle was put off be him being gay as he had gay friends just prior to this plot. Annnnnd I thought him leaving Earth over terry being beaten was really stupid. Both in-chaarcter (way to leave when your friend needs you) and as a story (as Kyle's roots and humanity is what made the guy for me; he became more generic in this run).

Now, as for the idea of a gay GL in the 90's ... it'd probably fail big time. Not only would fans have to deal with Hal and the Corps being gone, but there'd be harems of men constructs in the books. Kyle was VERY hetero at first, making as many pretty girls as constructs as he could, therefore the book would be very gay. I dunno if the fanbase would be ready for that in the 90's. If I'm being honest, I'd have to admit that I'd have a harder time identifying with that in the comic than with the creation of pretty girls doing everything. If it were now, and I a seasoned GL fan, I'd probably stick with it. But, ET was my jumping-on point, so it'd probably just turn me off of the book. May not be PC, but that's how it'd be.

Comment

Terry wouldn't be jealous of Jade in this scenario, because she might not
          have met Kyle Rayner, but Berg and her would probably still have
          a problem with each other for one reason or another.

Heck, maybe Berg will still be jealous towards Jade, but in this case, it'll
          be because she would date or become close to a guy that he's fond of.

Comment

I have no doubt that if back in 1994 DC tried replacing Hal with a new gay character as GL, the idea wouldn't have lasted long. As soon as sales started to slip DC would've reversed it and gone in a different direction.

Comment

If terry had been made into the GL it would not have sold well,first he is a lame pansy type character,and not cuz he is gay. Second more people can identify with a character who is like them and the majority of people are heterosexual.

Comment

I have no problems identifying with an invulnerable alien raised in Kansas, who shoots laser beams from his eyes.

Just saying.

Comment

I didn't like Winnik's run, but thought Terry was okay. I can relate to a character whose tastes are different. If not I'd never read the women characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                    I have no problems identifying with an invulnerable alien raised in Kansas, who shoots laser beams from his eyes.

Just saying.
                    Who also happens to be a white straight male. You gotta cater to your audience, even if you're pretending it's something different.

Comment

Okay, how about this: A blue-furred demon-looking three-fingered mutant that was raised in a circus and teleports in sulphur-smelling clouds? I have no problem identifying with him.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Cormier View Post
                        Who also happens to be a white straight male. You gotta cater to your audience, even if you're pretending it's something different.
                        Yes, I suppose he's straight but technically he's into inter-species mating.

Comment

Terry had an obnoxious personality, and was overtly jealous of Jade. If he dated Obsidian, he'd still be petty and jealous toward her, because no one can replace Jade in her brother's heart. Seriously, his sexual preference for men is about the only thing keeping his sister complex in check.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
                            A blue-furred demon-looking three-fingered mutant that was raised in a circus and teleports in sulphur-smelling clouds? I have no problem identifying with him.
                            Neither do I. In fact I think I ate one at that underground Moroccan restaurant yesterday.

Well, at least I think it was an underground Moroccan restaurant....

Comment

I doubt it would have lasted long if Berg was the green lantern.

Comment

Well that Nightcrawler series Marvel has been publishing these last few decades must be up to what, #300 or more by now? I forget, I haven't checked in on it in some time.

Comment

Working...
                                X