Kyle's New Symbol or the Classic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyle's New Symbol or the Classic?

This seems odd to me since his current symbol actually takes more effort to pencil and color, do you think they should just go back to the classic? I mean... heaven forbid if we have a different symbol once in awhile, or more Lanterns use the 'Ion' symbol that was Kyle's 2nd GL badge.

I think if the floating symbols are gonna remain a big deal some variation wouldn't be so bad. I'd love to see Daryl Banks try a floating symbol in front of classic suit Kyle.

Anybody else wish they'd just pull the trigger and go full on classic Kyle with the suit?

~//V\\~
    New Rebirth Symbol
    18.18%
    Classic Kyle Symbol
    81.82%
    Ωmega Man
    Guardian of the Universe
    Last edited by Ωmega Man; 09-30-2017, 05:29 PM.

DC probably doesn't want a bunch of variations on the logo flying around for branding purposes. For in story purposes, I think the Green Lantern symbol should just be one symbol. When you go to a government building they usually don't do their own version of the country's flag. It's just the flag. That said, there have been things like personal coat of arms and such. Still, I think the symbols should be uniform.
    ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

While I personally like the older symbol since it works better with that design, I agree with Star-Lantern that everyone should have a uniform symbol, even if they allow for variation in heir outfits.

Comment

I always thought Kyle's first symbol and costume were terrible, but now they are at least memorable as his. If they are going to give him his first costume back, they might as well do the symbol too. Seems like a half measure by NOT doing it. Makes more sense than giving him yet ANOTHER costume that is instantly forgettable. The first was recognizable and different.

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
          DC probably doesn't want a bunch of variations on the logo flying around for branding purposes. For in story purposes, I think the Green Lantern symbol should just be one symbol. When you go to a government building they usually don't do their own version of the country's flag. It's just the flag. That said, there have been things like personal coat of arms and such. Still, I think the symbols should be uniform.
          Government building's don't use variations of flags, however almost every badge for law enforcement in every state or big city is different. A sheriff's badge as opposed to a standard law enforcement badge for example. And the military has several things to show one soldier is a higher rank than another. There's no point in making all the symbols more uniform when there's no Corps standard uniform that everyone wears anymore.

I've also thought for some time the GL's recognized as Honor Guard should have something to make them stand out. A different badge would be enough. If it were me though I'd give them more unique suits like how Guy's suit was worn by the Fists of the Guardians during Emerald Dawn II.

I don't want gentrification in my favorite comics. I want certain individuals to shine like they should.

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
            Government building's don't use variations of flags, however almost every badge for law enforcement in every state or big city is different. A sheriff's badge as opposed to a standard law enforcement badge for example. And the military has several things to show one soldier is a higher rank than another. There's no point in making all the symbols more uniform when there's no Corps standard uniform that everyone wears anymore.
            I think that's kind of apples and oranges, because each cop does not have his own unique badge that doesn't resemble anyone else's. Kyle Rayner is a part of an organization, but, if his logo is changed to his old one, for whatever bizarre reason, he'd have a symbol that is completely unique to him instead of one that represents the organization.

And while the insignia is somewhat of a badge, it's more than that. It's the symbol of the Green Lantern Corps. I don't think there should be any variation on that. If there is, what's the symbol good for if it could be changed and warped on a whim by the members of the organization?

The Corps uniforms could never be completely standardized due to the different morphology of its members. The lead characters started using different looking ones when the Corps more or less broke apart, thus there wasn't much order anymore. Granted, the different looks did stick for many of them.

In this particular instance I don't put as much weight on the uniforms as I do the symbol. I guess because the symbol is a symbol, which means it represents something. When you change it, it's not that symbol anymore, no matter how similar it may be. It makes sense to me for the Corps to be united by that symbol, and it doesn't make a lot of sense to me, in story, for one of the members to use something different that is completely unique to him and no one else. I guess some artists might think it looks cool, but it doesn't jibe well with the way the universe is currently set up, in my opinion. It worked okay when Kyle Rayner was the only Green Lantern and there was no Corps that he was a part of.
            Star-Lantern
            Weaponer of Qward
            Last edited by Star-Lantern; 10-02-2017, 06:35 AM.
            ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Tell all of that to Rot Lop Fan...

Ash...

And folks like Turytt...

And say what you want about the symbols, they've been called badges now for well over ten years. A badge can look like anything, but a cop is still a cop. I'm not saying every Lantern needs their own... but a little more variety would be nice once in awhile. I'd hoped for the longest time more GL's would pick up using what's now considered the Ion symbol [since we all know Jim Lee saw it somewhere in GLC before using it for Kyle].

~//V\\~

Comment

I really think Kyle needs a new symbol, how about a cross? You know... they one that should be on his tombstone when they kill his ass off permanently.

Comment

John Stewart had a GL symbol with a rounded top and bottom, too, and nobody seemed to mind that.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                    John Stewart had a GL symbol with a rounded top and bottom, too, and nobody seemed to mind that.
                    I'm not sure I even remember that. I don't doubt you at all, it just must not have made much of an impression. Then again, I can't really think of any GL's symbol that I've minded at any point, unless you count the stupid face tattoo that Jessica Cruz has.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                      I'm not sure I even remember that. I don't doubt you at all, it just must not have made much of an impression.

Then again, I can't really think of any GL's symbol that I've minded at any point, unless you count the stupid face tattoo that Jessica Cruz has.
                      There's the Sodam Yat one, too.

Though that's the same as Kyle's second GL symbol. And there's the Ion thing.

Personally, though, it makes a lot of sense to make one unified badge. If you're a galactic space police, it doesn't make sense if one badge can look radically different than another when the point of the badge is to make everyone else recognize who you represent... not make a personal fashion statement.

Comment

I kind of agree that some standardization would make sense. That said, in most cases people shouldn't see more than one GL on their planet (if that), so any discrepancies will go largely unnoticed. I'd think the general color scheme and power set would be plenty to identify a GL by in almost all cases, too.

Assuming that they see one often enough to even know what a GL is. I never got the impression that the Guardians actually had any kind of informational campaign to introduce the Corps to all those supposedly under their care. I would expect many places to have no idea what a GL was, and many others to reject the notion that GLs had any jurisdiction in their space, and in those cases, having a consistent uniform isn't really an important issue.

Comment

Kyle doesn't deserve to be special in the slightest. So classic symbol, please.
                          Tell me you hate your boyfriend and love me.

INVISIBLE SKY DADDY TO THE RESCUE!!!

You don't have to be stupid to believe in God. But it helps.

You can tell a Yorkshireman....but you can't tell him much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Ed View Post
                            I'm not sure I even remember that. I don't doubt you at all, it just must not have made much of an impression. Then again, I can't really think of any GL's symbol that I've minded at any point, unless you count the stupid face tattoo that Jessica Cruz has.
                            She actually wasn't the first one to have the logo manifest around her eye. Zvvireel had that design.
                            Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Lantern View Post
                              She actually wasn't the first one to have the logo manifest around her eye. Zvvireel had that design.
                              Both characters were designed by Ethan Van Sciver. It's like Jim Lee and his ubiquitous dog collars.

Comment

Working...
                              X