HJ & the GLC #37 (vs ZOD!!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HJ & the GLC #37 (vs ZOD!!!)

I enjoyed this issue. The bits with John and the Guardians, as well as Hal and Kyle vs Zod and co. were just awesome. On another board people were arguing how one sided the fight was but c'mon.... it's a FAMILY OF KRYPTONIANS.

I argued that yeah... while GL's have been known to do tons of shit like make Kryptonite radiation with their rings and one punching Superman... the circumstances of this battle were just all to Zod's advantage. And while the GL's can do a ton of stuff and things like traveling at superspeed, I argued that they can't FIGHT at superspeed like Kryptonians could.

Anybody else have an opinion on this? Think it should've went down any differently?

~//V\\~

^Yeah, I feel like a lantern should be able to beat a Kryptonian, but Hal basically got surprised by a family of them, so it didn't feel silly.

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post

I enjoyed this issue. The bits with John and the Guardians, as well as Hal and Kyle vs Zod and co. were just awesome. On another board people were arguing how one sided the fight was but c'mon.... it's a FAMILY OF KRYPTONIANS.

I argued that yeah... while GL's have been known to do tons of shit like make Kryptonite radiation with their rings and one punching Superman... the circumstances of this battle were just all to Zod's advantage. And while the GL's can do a ton of stuff and things like traveling at superspeed, I argued that they can't FIGHT at superspeed like Kryptonians could.
      Anybody else have an opinion on this? Think it should've went down any differently?

~//V\\~
      Superman: Red Son explained it best when he said that he could move at ten times the speed of human thought. We regularly see Kryptonians move at a speed that is hard to visually track, so it makes perfect sense that even GL vets like Hal & Kyle would have serious trouble with 3 1/2 Kryptonians when surprised and forced to defend themselves at close range.
      Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

^Well put. I maintain that GL can beat Supes, but it doesn't mean he would always beat him under any condition nor that it would be easy. Add to that the outnumbering and one of the Kryptonians being a ruthless tactician and you really make it unlikely.

Comment

They'd also have to be able to put a lot of concentration into recreating kryptonite and it's radiation. IIRC when Kyle did it around '00-03 the Martian Manhunter had to put the chemical compound into Kyle's mind and help him concentrate through telepathy for Kyle to make it. Superman had went borderline dictator with an army of Superman Robots due to some villain forcing him to drop his Clark Kent identity to become Superman full time.

But I DO think it's their Kryptonian speed that trumps a GL ring in a fight. IDK about anyone else but it's hard to concentrate to do anything if you're taking a quick beating from a stronger opponent.

Does anyone else think Sinestro becoming a member of the JL along with some Teen Titans and other villains post-METAL may be due to some tinkering of the GL related books and their status quo?

~//V\\~

Comment

The only problem I had, which often seems to come up, probably for dramatic purposes, was with how easily all the Kryptonians were able to just smash through the GL's shields as if they were nothing. If the family of Kryptonians are able to outmaneuver them, or just batter them about so much that they can't keep up their defense, that's one thing, but when a single Kryptonian is able to just smash straight through a shield put up by a GL that KNOWS he's facing a Kryptonian, that's a bit much to my thinking.

Comment

^That's true, but that's not just this issue; that's typical of the last decade plus of GL where bad guys seem to be able to just overpower constructs. Properly, Hal should just will a shield strong enough for Kryptonians and it should hold unless he loses concentration or doubts himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                ^That's true, but that's not just this issue; that's typical of the last decade plus of GL where bad guys seem to be able to just overpower constructs. Properly, Hal should just will a shield strong enough for Kryptonians and it should hold unless he loses concentration or doubts himself.
                Yeah, it definitely isn't specific to this story. And it only really bugs me (and then only a little) when they are putting up a shield against a known threat, which then breaks right through it.

If it isn't a known threat, then they could have misjudged, or if a KNOWN threat that is powerful enough pounds away at it for a while I can see them wearing down from the effort of maintaining it after a bit, but when something they know the strength of just busts right through...

Comment

I like that cover. A lot like Carlos Pacheco there.

Comment

Well, it turns out the construct breaking was a story point.

Comment

Can't get with this crap. The weaknesses of some of the GL storylines are shown in part in this issue.

Comment

Working...
                      X