Hal Jordan and the GLC #38 *Spoilers*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hal Jordan and the GLC #38 *Spoilers*

So... not only were the constructs breaking easier a story point for this arc with Zod, this arc has some decent pacing and build up. Hal proves how much of a badass he is by giving Kyle his ring to escape Jakuul in sector 2811. I wonder if the writers know Kyle has done the EXACT same thing with his ring, just not to the point of going through the head of an enemy. Thankfully for the Eradicator he could tecno-organically heal from it in record time LOL.

Now to get to the good part... that ending splash page. I'm going to go out of my way and tell you I'm one of the biggest Kyle fans that I know of. While I've liked some iterations more than others one thing I have never been ashamed to critique is his costumes. I've liked a couple elements more than others from his various designs.... however this new design reminds me a little of the Hal/Kyle Yellow Parallax amalgam from Sinestro Corps War. With the next issue being titled "Hal for a day" I can only assume this is only a minor power upgrade with Hal's forged ring. But doesn't this new design have a ton of potential?!?

I'd go ahead and make the boots and the gaunlets more like the ones from his classic suit, but I love the new torso design and centering the classic badge. I think the torso could even be white if they wanted to make a quick edit [remember how the original Ion went from being green with black trim to white with green trim over night?]. If Hal gives Kyle his ring and starts using Kyle's reworked Corps standard.... does that count as a power upgrade?

EVS really nailed it this issue. I wish his vision for New52 Firestorm would've had a bigger push, however I think THIS is what he has been waiting to do for awhile now.

DC... put Hal and Kyle on Earth in GREEN LANTERNS and let a writer that knows what he's doing work with EVS and another artist on a twice monthly comic. I need more of this.

~//V\\~
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    Ωmega Man
    Guardian of the Universe
    Last edited by Ωmega Man; 02-18-2018, 09:59 PM.

that's it, just other new costumes, no phantom ring, no ION in his ring justs a new costumes...................... someone wake me up when they get a clue and Make Kyle Great Again

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

When I read this issue, I figured you'd be pissed M

Comment

Originally posted by "Chosen" View Post
        When I read this issue, I figured you'd be pissed M
        Why'd you think that?

The only thing that bugs me is on the one other forum I talk about these comics noobs are all like "THIS is why Hal is the greatest!" when Kyle has willed his ring back to his finger several times under various circumstances. Just off the top of my head...

GL vol. 3 #124 Kyle willed his ring from a lock box the Controllers were using while trying to convert Kyle into another agent of their then Effigy Corps.

In less than a year, in the same volume of GL, I believe it was Judd Winick's first arc where Kyle willed his ring back that a group of Manhunters had managed to get working by tricking the ring into thinking it was still on Kyle's finger. Issue #131 IIRC.

Then in what was the final issue in the Kyle/Ollie Queen crossover where they faced the Black Circle, Kyle willed his ring back to him when Amon Sur took it believing he'd be able to use it despite it being tied to Kyle's genetics. In this particular case he used his ring as a two way transmitter picking up audio and visuals of the ship they were being transported in. I think this happened in GL vol. 3 #164.

I'm not even gonna go into the times he's willed his ring back during the JLA run he was in or the books he was in post-Infinite Crisis.

So when Hal states his ring is unlike any other because he forged it himself.... I think he doesn't know about Kyle's ring being different as well [if this is the same ring he had before, I'm not super sure about that]. Ganthet altered the ring before giving it to Kyle, then Kyle altered it again at the end of the Power of Ion/Hand of God arc.

~//V\\~

Comment

Originally posted by -//V\\- View Post
          So when Hal states his ring is unlike any other because he forged it himself.... I think he doesn't know about Kyle's ring being different as well [if this is the same ring he had before, I'm not super sure about that]. Ganthet altered the ring before giving it to Kyle, then Kyle altered it again at the end of the Power of Ion/Hand of God arc.
          Well, Hal had willed the ring back to himself before too. I didn't take that to mean only his ring could be willed back. I took it to mean that the field Zod was using counteracted guardian tech, but Hal's ring isn't guardian tech.

Comment

When Kyle put on the ring and said "This is what it feels like to be you?!"

Comment

Originally posted by "Chosen" View Post
              When Kyle put on the ring and said "This is what it feels like to be you?!"
              I rolled my eyes at that but it didn't ruin the book for me.

~//V\\~

Comment

To be clear, a GL willing their ring back to their finger from a distance has been an ability ALL Green Lanterns share. It's just the writers are often too lazy and/or not versed well enough in the comic they are writing to use it. Or it simply doesn't fit the writer's needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
                  To be clear, a GL willing their ring back to their finger from a distance has been an ability ALL Green Lanterns share. It's just the writers are often too lazy and/or not versed well enough in the comic they are writing to use it. Or it simply doesn't fit the writer's needs.
                  Yes, that's a guideline that should be followed by all writers at this point, but the continuity for ring-calling over the years has been spotty at best.
                  Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

ok i looked at the issue and it's nothing more then a new costumes ( again) him having Hal's ring (for now anyway cause Hal will get it back) does nothing more for him, it doesn't make him a Super-Lantern, an Ultra-Lantern, a Uber-Lantern or even a God-Lantern therefor it doesn't Make Kyle Great Again

but it does look good

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Kyle doesn't need more power to be great, he just needs some time back on Earth. You can keep space faring New Guardians Kyle, give me back the artist in NYC.

~//V\\~

Comment

Have Kyle do a Will & Grace type of comic. Have him in an apartment in NYC, rooming with Terry, working at the fashion magazine, and hanging out in gay bars. Give him relationship troubles with a rotating cast of girlfriends. Downtime sipping lattes at Radu's. Throw in some ring slinging adventures in the Big Apple and fans will be happy.

Comment

Working...
                        X