• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Green Lantern #7 *Preview/Spoilers*

The Green Lantern #7 Preview
    Writer: Grant Morrison
    Artist: Liam Sharp

ok i've really got to ask i'm i the only one that thinks the cover art looks like sh!t.................................. since like #1, i can't be the only one

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

I like it. I feel like there is a sense of mythology coming back to the GL universe. that we haven't seen in a long time.

Comment

Some random thoughts with spoilers:

(1) Dave was right; Morrison forgot, did not know, or (more likely) ignored that Hal hasn't had Abin's ring in a long time.

(2) This reminded me of the (the Gaiman-written) Doctor Who episode, where he meets the TARDIS personified.

(3) Part of me would love to buy a spare issue and just lay out all the pages in a mural to see the flow.

Comment

I thought the prose and panel layout was brilliant. I can forgive the continuity gaff(?) with Abin Sur; I just like whenever they refer to him though. It just reinforced my feelings about it being the best funnybook currently on the stands. I love the deep diving and weird cosmic stuff that you can really only get away with on the comic page and Grant is firing on all cylinders with this, Liam is channeling some crazy 70's retro-sci vibe.
          http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
            Some random thoughts with spoilers:

(1) Dave was right; Morrison forgot, did not know, or (more likely) ignored that Hal hasn't had Abin's ring in a long time.
            Though at this point, so many writers have done this that doing so is more the rule than the exception.

Comment

Excellent issue. Design-wise one of the best in recent memory. Really looking forward to a deluxe collected edition, be nice if there were some notes from the creative process.

Comment

I really liked it. The art was gorgeous and I really got into the panel layout for the issue. I liked how it came off like a fairytale. Reminded me of Neil Gaiman's Stardust a bit at least in tone. I was a big fan of Sandman back in the day and I could go for more issues of GL that harken to that kind d of storytelling. Doesn't mean anything has to be permanent. Just makes for a memorable period of GL history.

Comment

It's weird, sales are higher than they've been in years yet not a lot of people are eager to talk about the comics anymore.

Rainbow brigade deprivation from newer fans?

Comment

Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                    (2) This reminded me of the (the Gaiman-written) Doctor Who episode, where he meets the TARDIS personified.
                    Yes, that's what it reminded me of as well.

Great issue. The white letters in the first third were a bit hard to read (or a need a better lamp in my attic). But the idea of using the negative space of the GL logo as panel borders throughout the issue was amazing, and Hal talking to his ring (as reminescent as it was of said Doctor Who episode) was wonderful.

This series is getting better and better with each issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew NDB View Post
                      It's weird, sales are higher than they've been in years yet not a lot of people are eager to talk about the comics anymore.

Rainbow brigade deprivation from newer fans?
                      It's probably the result of this forum not having many active members as it used to, a result of yes rainbow fatique.

I'd talk about these comics, especially since I've heard good things, but I haven't been in a comic book store in at least a year, so well... it's not great on that front for me.

Comment

Also, we aren't used to being happy. It's easy to talk about something when you are P.O.d and need to vent. It's harder to talk about something you are content with.

Comment

I think Geoff's spawning the Skittles Corps, Baz and Cruz, followed by years and years of Robert Venditti's lackluster writing, drove most of the OLD fans away. The people who follow Geoff around and buy only what he writes were never Green Lantern fans anyway.

Comment

My guess is that it's mainly older fans who are powering this series. It's not like WB is using their movies or TV or streaming shows to create new fans. It's a comic series led by a classic protagonist with a retro feel. I'm sure that appeals to some new/young readers, but it's surely designed with veteran DC/omnivore fans in mind.
                            Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

I don't think Morrison is targeting any demographic. I think he's just writing the best comic he can write. And he isn't making it all about him.

Comment

Working...
                              X