The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Hal Jordan & The Green Lantern Corps
FLASHCHAT

Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps
View Poll Results: HJ & GLC #35
* 0 0%
** 2 40.00%
*** 1 20.00%
**** 2 40.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2017, 01:17 AM   #1
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

Default Hal Jordan and the GLC #35

I can't get over the "Four Corpsmen" thing. It is SO cheesy, I got douche chills.... *and* it's just wrong to ignore all the other members of the Corps! Venditti needs to stop worrying about pleasing the fans of just these four guys and include the others members of the GLC already!

[shoot - I accidentally only have four stars in the poll rather than 5 and I don't know how to edit it.... ]

Last edited by Kane2814; 12-29-2017 at 01:21 AM.
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:15 AM   #2
Space Cop
The Dandy

It was corny, but I liked the bit of Ganthet saying they can't control those guys.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:07 PM   #3
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

Aside from the terrible "four corpsmen" thing ... <shudder> I am not familiar with this artist, but there were too many "screaming at the camera" faces this issue.

Also not a fan of why it took four members of the GLC to do what should only take one. One of the worst things about Johns's emphasis on them being "cops" is that we're seeing GL's being challenged by guys with guns and they should be much more powerful than that.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:30 AM   #4
Star-Lantern
Hal's Understudy

The wrestling reference was def. cheesy and overdone, especially since Venditti took time from the story to explain it. It might be okay for one panel of a character saying that and throwing up the Horsemen hand sign, but using it for the theme of a whole issue where it's kind of beating you over the head with it is beyond pushing it. Then there's also the factor to consider that the reference will be completely lost to people who did not watch NWA/WCW, which could be A LOT of people. That's why I think it would be wise to only use that reference maybe once in a panel, not for a whole page, and certainly not a whole story.

Third issue into the arc and the artist is starting to show cracks in his work. Definitely not as solid as his first issue. There are too many over-exaggerated faces in this issue, but there are other things here and there, and it's just generally not as strong an effort as what he put out earlier. Judging by the credits, I'm also seeing he's needing help with finishing the issues, which is a sign usually indicative of problems.

On the other hand, it's good to see the Green Lanterns not doing a Corps war, and the action in this issue is okay. Not great, but okay. The downside is that it took two whole issues of (IMO) mostly uninteresting talking to get to any real action on the third issue. And this story is set up perfectly for yet another anti-climactic ending. I still hold that Venditti doesn't balance his stories really well. There's often way too much of something and way too little of other things, and then other arcs will have the same problems but the things will be reversed. For example, too much boring talking and too little action. But other times there's too much action and not enough story. Sometimes the pace is too fast, other times it's way too slow. It can sound nitpicky here, but it IS possible to get things right, and that's what a good writer would do.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 12-30-2017 at 01:41 AM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:56 AM   #5
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
The wrestling reference was def. cheesy and overdone, especially since Venditti took time from the story to explain it. It might be okay for one panel of a character saying that and throwing up the Horsemen hand sign, but using it for the theme of a whole issue where it's kind of beating you over the head with it is beyond pushing it...
The funny thing is I know the wrestling reference, but until John said that I just assumed it was the Biblical reference that the wrestling team took for their name.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
JohnMc
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
The funny thing is I know the wrestling reference, but until John said that I just assumed it was the Biblical reference that the wrestling team took for their name.
They did take the name from the Bible. Ric Flair acknowledged it a couple of times iirc.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:46 PM   #7
JohnMc
Green Lantern

Quote:
Then there's also the factor to consider that the reference will be completely lost to people who did not watch NWA/WCW, which could be A LOT of people. That's why I think it would be wise to only use that reference maybe once in a panel, not for a whole page, and certainly not a whole story.

The Horsemen have been mentioned by WWF several times. So saying only NWA/WCW fans wouldn't get the reference is not completely accurate.
Old 01-01-2018, 12:49 AM   #8
Star-Lantern
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
The Horsemen have been mentioned by WWF several times. So saying only NWA/WCW fans wouldn't get the reference is not completely accurate.
Personally, I think that's splitting hairs, since the Four Horsemen never had a worthwhile presence over there.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 01-01-2018 at 01:09 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:13 AM   #9
Space Cop
The Dandy

^I think his point was just that they're more widely known than strictly among hardcore WCW fans.

Old 01-01-2018, 04:25 AM   #10
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I liked the issue. Art was mostly good, the Controllers plan was simple enough. The big take away for me was the next arc pitting the GLC against Zod.

~//V\\~
Old 01-04-2018, 11:32 PM   #11
JohnMc
Green Lantern

Quote:
Personally, I think that's splitting hairs, since the Four Horsemen never had a worthwhile presence over there.
True, they usually mentioned it in a historical tone when talking about Ric Flair's career. Plus the Horsemen are in the WWF Hall of Fame and there was a DVD about the group.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:33 PM   #12
JohnMc
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by -//V\\- View Post
I liked the issue. Art was mostly good, the Controllers plan was simple enough. The big take away for me was the next arc pitting the GLC against Zod.

~//V\\~
Are they ever going to get back to Sinestro? They reveal he's still alive and its just dropped.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:13 AM   #13
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Are they ever going to get back to Sinestro? They reveal he's still alive and its just dropped.
Not to mention Parallax being missing...
Old 01-05-2018, 12:42 PM   #14
Orion Pax
Iolande's Bodyguard

Quote:
Last I heard he got his ass kicked by Superman.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:38 PM   #15
JohnMc
Green Lantern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Pax View Post
Last I heard he got his ass kicked by Superman.
So Sinestro's return is being handled in a non-GL book?
Old 01-05-2018, 09:37 PM   #16
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
So Sinestro's return is being handled in a non-GL book?
Well, it was a two-parter and he was pretty much MIA afterward, so it didn't change much.
It's Superman 29-30 if you want to track it down. It's a Parallax story too.

Last edited by Space Cop; 01-05-2018 at 09:41 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:16 PM   #17
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I've got tired of seeing Sinestro in every other few issues of GL honestly. They don't throw the Joker into every other issue of Batman. I was glad to see Parallax show up elsewhere for once. And the story was actually pretty good.

~//V\\~
Old 01-06-2018, 07:54 PM   #18
Noct
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

We all here know very well thats not the real Parallax, that is only Johns version of it aka bugallax, yellow impurity, fear entity wharever you wanna call it, in other words: https://youtu.be/Thrp_ugMRsA

Geoff Johns: lets make it a bug!

I honestly dont know what is worst the yellow fart from the movie “fartallax” or this generic yellow bug monster

The Parallax from Convergence “Halallax” now that is the real one and IFAIK he is still out there.
Noct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 10:46 PM   #19
Space Cop
The Dandy

^I'd rather have the bug retcon than the stupidity of evil Hal.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:33 AM   #20
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

My favorite Parallax was when he infected Barry Allen after Blackest Night.

~//V\\~
Old 01-07-2018, 05:17 AM   #21
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct View Post
The Parallax from Convergence “Halallax” now that is the real one and IFAIK he is still out there.
its best to pretend that story never happened.
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:57 AM   #22
Noct
Sinestro's Sparring Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by -//V\\- View Post
My favorite Parallax was when he infected Barry Allen after Blackest Night.

~//V\\~
“Flashallax?”

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Chosen" View Post
its best to pretend that Johns never happened.
Fixed.

I do understand that Hal needed to comeback one way or the other but it doesnt make any sense even for comic standars. The “yellow bug did it” is the most free out of jail card if I ever saw one. It could have been the Hal of the past from Emerald Knights and that would have been perfect.

Why does Johns always get away with his stupid retcons.

Well, at least it seem like his days in power are numbered, not saying hes finished by a long shot he still have a lot of support and fans, but here hoping he will not longer have absolute authority in DC ever again.
Noct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:05 PM   #23
Star-Lantern
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
I do understand that Hal needed to comeback one way or the other but it doesnt make any sense even for comic standars. The “yellow bug did it” is the most free out of jail card if I ever saw one. It could have been the Hal of the past from Emerald Knights and that would have been perfect.

Wow. That's... actually a really, really good idea. With some fleshing out, I think that would have been a lot better than Geoff Johns' concept, if executed well. Plus, it would have absolved Hal Jordan even more, because it would have been a completely other "him" that did the emerald twilight atrocities, instead of having the character succumb to some fear entity that possessed him. It also wouldn't come off as so fanboy-ish to me, like much of Johns' absolving of Hal Jordan does (oh he was possessed, oh that Arisia thing, well, she was actually 200-something years old) because working from the previously established canon instead of making retcons would make it seem much more organic.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 01-07-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #24
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Quote:
“Flashallax?”

Fixed.

Well, at least it seem like his days in power are numbered, not saying hes finished by a long shot he still have a lot of support and fans, but here hoping he will not longer have absolute authority in DC ever again.

I don't hate Johns like you do. However, that renegade storyline and the other Parallax was just plain dumb and led to absolutely nothing. Best pretend it didn't happen.
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:54 PM   #25
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Wow. That's... actually a really, really good idea. With some fleshing out, I think that would have been a lot better than Geoff Johns' concept, if executed well. Plus, it would have absolved Hal Jordan even more, because it would have been a completely other "him" that did the emerald twilight atrocities, instead of having the character succumb to some fear entity that possessed him. It also wouldn't come off as so fanboy-ish to me, like much of Johns' absolving of Hal Jordan does (oh he was possessed, oh that Arisia thing, well, she was actually 200-something years old) because working from the previously established canon instead of making retcons would make it seem much more organic.
That still comes off as super fanboy-ish, in that it's the exact same idea Marvel's tried using to make their characters interesting again... "Let's just take a version of them from the past..." is becoming a trope now in comics quicker than anything else that's already cliche and predictable. It worked in Emerald Knights, but that story was well over ten to fifteen years ago. Green Lantern Rebirth had to do more than simply bring a version of Jordan back. It had to get rid of the Vuldarian shit with Guy, they tried making John more interesting by bringing up his military service that was originally in the JL toons, Geoff had to bring back the Guardians as leaders of the GLC and not a bunch of Smurf babies, etc.

I think GL Rebirth is still a good story, bug retcon or not. I believe the War of Light and everything tied to it since has been what's killed the franchise, not absolving Hal of past sins.

When Green Lantern starred Kyle and 75% of the adventures were on Earth and the series frequently had other DC characters popping up.... it was the 3rd best selling title that didn't feature Superman or Batman. The only difference between that and what we're getting with Green Lanterns is that nobody cares about Jess and Simon and the adventures are still tied to the War of Light and other shoehorned in concepts like the Phantom Lantern, the First Lantern, etc.

The franchise needs to go back to basics and do the most obvious stuff in terms of status quo. Take the two most popular GL's [Hal and Kyle], and put them in Green Lanterns and also feature them in books like JL and Titans, the rest can go to GLC and be featured in rotating stories rather than every character being in every mission every issue. That gets old quick and great ideas like the GLC vs Starros and GLC vs Brainiac are barely catching anybody's attention. It should also be noted Superman comics aren't the only place DC has good space villains to use elsewhere. Remember all of the alien species in LoSH, characters from REBELS and the modern LEGION, etc.? DC needs to start looking at the rest of the universe. Who have they already used in GLC... Cyborg Superman, Brainiac, Zod's coming up... I mean I can't wait to see the GLC vs Zod but don't waste this opportunity to tell an epic story.

~//V\\~