The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 04-26-2019, 05:33 AM   #101
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

I hadn't heard the Azzarello Squad thing, especially not including Wally. I'm so glad I stopped reading after issue 3. I don't think I could handle reading this. I can only judge it based on the glimpses into it that I get from you all and those fans I follow on twitter. Besides the art, I haven't heard one person say its a good series.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:16 AM   #102
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

It would be written extremely well if it was an Elseworlds, or the Injusticeverse, or a Squadron Supreme spinoff, or whatever. But Tom King cannot write an established DC character to save his life. He's sooooo good otherwise. But it's like he has never read a single DC comic book, and only got to know the characters through a long game of chinese whispers including Helen Keller, Ludwig van Beethoven and Pete Townshend.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #103
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Heide View Post
It would be written extremely well if it was an Elseworlds, or the Injusticeverse, or a Squadron Supreme spinoff, or whatever. But Tom King cannot write an established DC character to save his life. He's sooooo good otherwise...
This is pretty much my feeling. I've liked the format, with the confessionals* breaking up the narrative. A lot of the humor has really hit. That stuff, along with the art, made the issues readable. But it's like he's playing with his own set of rules in some other DCU where Harley can easily evade the Trinity and Wally is a walking time bomb.

*[Although, even here, I have to say I don't get why so many of these heroes would care about the confessionals. They're told nobody is listening, they're not saved, and they'll get no advice, so it's about as productive as yelling at the wall in an empty house. I could see some people liking that, but everyone who goes?!]
Old 04-26-2019, 03:10 PM   #104
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

Wally in Suicide Squad rumor
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/07...ajor-spoilers/
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:26 PM   #105
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Terrible
Old 04-27-2019, 01:39 AM   #106
IonFan
Forum Member

well as a Wally fan i can say without a doubt that HiC......................

F@CKING SUCKS

how dare you DC, HOW F@CKING DARE YOU 1st you take Wally out of time like he didn't exist then you give us the WRONG Wally only to bring back the REAL Wally only to then kill him off almost as soon as we were getting to know him again but now he's a f@cking killer

F@CK YOU DC, F@CK YOU

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:16 AM   #107
Space Cop
The Dandy

^Check that out, we have an Ion tirade that we mostly all agree with, though I might've substituted some words.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #108
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

The only thing I would substitute is u for @.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:54 PM   #109
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I know Didio has a vendetta with redundant characters, but of all the garbage ones DC still clings to, why is he so intent on sh#tting on Wally West? Wally has a HUGE fan base. In part because he has been around since the dawn of the silver age. His character was introduced shortly after Barry's silver age run started, so he's older than almost every current DC comics reader. Generations of kids grew up with him. I just don't get it. How many lesser speedster characters have come after him that still get used? Seems like Jay Barry and Wally should be pretty untouchable by now.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:07 PM   #110
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I know Didio has a vendetta with redundant characters, but of all the garbage ones DC still clings to, why is he so intent on sh#tting on Wally West? ...
I was thinking of DiDio's anti-Wally policy when I read this issue. Even if he had nothing to do with the idea, I'm sure his attitude helped to green light Wally as fallen character.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:23 PM   #111
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Come to think of it, why aren't they launching a title called Speed Force that stars Wally and all the other speedsters except Barry?
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 03:43 PM   #112
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Since when was it in a Flash's power set they could gather, process, and reconfigure computer data from not just an Earthly invention but something involving Kryptonian tech as well?

And the take away from this series is supposed to be Wally in the Suicide Squad?! We already have a fallen hero/anti-hero speedster in Godspeed.

What a ****ing waste, DC. This series could've been something to establish a real threat to the DCU with identities being compromised as well as psychological weaknesses of dozens of heroes being exploited. The Calculator, Hank Henshaw, some new spin on Prometheus, Nemesis, Jericho, T.O. Morrow or Professor Ivo, the Psycho Pirate... ANYBODY could've been the villain in this.

Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 04:31 PM   #113
JohnMc
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I know Didio has a vendetta with redundant characters, but of all the garbage ones DC still clings to, why is he so intent on sh#tting on Wally West? Wally has a HUGE fan base. In part because he has been around since the dawn of the silver age. His character was introduced shortly after Barry's silver age run started, so he's older than almost every current DC comics reader. Generations of kids grew up with him. I just don't get it. How many lesser speedster characters have come after him that still get used? Seems like Jay Barry and Wally should be pretty untouchable by now.

I guarantee that to the bulk of their customers Wally is THE Flash. Not Jay or Barry. Didiot hates the second generation of characters. Look how many times he's tried to kill Dick Grayson. And Donna Troy died under his watch too.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 12:50 PM   #114
buffalorock
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

One more issue to go and the series is finally finished. People could spoil the hell out of it and I don't think I would care in the slightest.

Series like this are why I don't think I can follow many superhero comics anymore. Somehow it is a sales and critical darling, and I just don't see it. I am sure they will be pushing for the trade to be an evergreen.
buffalorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 01:21 PM   #115
JohnMc
Weaponer of Qward

Its out today.

A cameo by Guy. He's officially the DC equivalent to SNK' Ryukako Todoh aka The King of Cameos.
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 02:55 PM   #116
"Chosen"
NOT his black friend

No one cares about Guy lol, but you should be glad he only got a cameo in this trash.
I feel bad for Wally West fans, they don't deserve this garbage. Tom King is bad. Like really Bad.
"Chosen" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 10:14 PM   #117
IonFan
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
Its out today.

A cameo by Guy. He's officially the DC equivalent to SNK' Ryukako Todoh aka The King of Cameos.
Kyle was in it too (what???? i give it a look see so sue me) don't know what the f@ck he said though (i don't speak what ever he was speaking)

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
Old 05-29-2019, 10:54 PM   #118
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
Kyle was in it too (what???? i give it a look see so sue me) don't know what the f@ck he said though (i don't speak what ever he was speaking)
It was Spanish. Remember Kyle is Hispanic now and the Irish is forgotten or ignored. It's a fragment from a popular prayer that begins "angel de dios que eres mi custodio," but they cut off before the custodio. With it, it means "Angel of God you are my custodian," but, as I say, they didn't get to the custodian (caretaker) part.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:03 PM   #119
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalorock View Post
Somehow it is a sales and critical darling, and I just don't see it.
I don't really think this is true? From what I've seen the critic reaction, much like the fan reaction, has been mixed. And the sales while good are no where near other recent events like Doomsday Clock or Metal.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:38 PM   #120
buffalorock
Star Sapphire's Love Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
I don't really think this is true? From what I've seen the critic reaction, much like the fan reaction, has been mixed. And the sales while good are no where near other recent events like Doomsday Clock or Metal.
The sales have been great for a book like this, its been a top 10 book for the most part.

It is true the reaction has been mixed. Definitely praise for the art and for the team for even trying to tackle the subject matter.

Fans seem to take a lot of issue, but the book has been selling well, so I don't know if that is a vocal minority or what is going on.
buffalorock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:29 PM   #121
Space Cop
The Dandy

[spoilers]

So, what is the conclusion? They say that Wally's mistake is serious and acknowledge the deaths and deceits, but then they kept making it sound like the only real issue was whether he killed his future self or not.

And I still don't get why if they're willing to play with time to this extent they wouldn't be willing to stop Wally before his explosion or whatever it was.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:52 AM   #122
IonFan
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
It was Spanish. Remember Kyle is Hispanic now and the Irish is forgotten or ignored. It's a fragment from a popular prayer that begins "angel de dios que eres mi custodio," but they cut off before the custodio. With it, it means "Angel of God you are my custodian," but, as I say, they didn't get to the custodian (caretaker) part.
they should of just had him say it in English........................ ya know cause.......................... well i can't say why (cause i'll be called something i'm not) but we all know why

IonFan says

Quote:
Old 05-31-2019, 03:11 AM   #123
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
they should of just had him say it in English........................ ya know cause.......................... well i can't say why (cause i'll be called something i'm not) but we all know why
They probably figured (1) you didn't have to know for the story; (2) if you cared, you Google translate it (like I did with the French in Marie's bit). But I'll give you that nothing prevented King from doing one of those <translated from Spanish> bits. It's kind of the least of the series' problems, though, and since Kyle was only in one panel, there wouldn't be much reason even for you to pick it up for him even if you were still following him.

Last edited by Space Cop; 05-31-2019 at 03:16 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:43 AM   #124
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Doomsday Clock > Heroes in Crisis

The Kyle panel is aggravating because it's the only aspect of his character they wanna use him for [mostly just Tom King who wrote him speaking fluent Spanish in Omega Men]. Nevermind the recent Blue Beetle and several issues of his comics series have had a good bit of Spanish in them, they'd rather just slap another SJW tag where they can and say they're diverse. Isn't Cruz Spanish too? She could've been used in the same fashion if that's all they're really going for.

I liked the bits with all the Robins. We never got an answer to that bloodied GL suit. They didn't even really tell us who all of the dead victims were aside from the ones clearly shown in-panel.

Had Harley or Booster actually done it, this might've been a better read. Trying to make Wally cool in the same way they made the character Godspeed is just poor storytelling. What would happen if Nightwing started acting more like Red Hood? Red Hood wouldn't seem as cool and/or Nightwing fans would be pissed. I guess they figure Wally isn't appearing regularly anywhere, why not?

Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:34 AM   #125
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

Also, they use time travel to prevent Wally from killing future Wally, but none of the others. Now I'm all for self-consistent time travel stories (like Twelve Monkeys), but that's just not how time travel works in the DCU. Not even trying to save Roy, or any of the others, is insane.