The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Other Comics
FLASHCHAT

Miscellaneous GL Comics

Old 09-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #26
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasmorking View Post
That's good enough for me, I'll skip it for now.
I'm trying to get as much as possible from 1990 til now. I just ordered Mosaic and Guy Gardner and I have all the GL-issues til 2004 after that it's all TPB. below is the total list of what I am collecting. After that I guess I will start with the ones from the 80's.
The only ones I'm missing are the Spectre ones and the JSA ones.
[SNIP]
WOW. thats....pretty complete; Warrior was a good read back then, which really took off (IMNSHO) after he went Vuldaran.

I would also recommend getting GREEN LANTERN: LEGACY — THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF HAL JORDAN, since I didnt see it listed.....

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:53 PM   #27
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post

I would also recommend getting GREEN LANTERN: LEGACY — THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF HAL JORDAN, since I didnt see it listed.....[/COLOR]
Oh yeah, that's a fun book. Plus, in it Hal recounts his strategy for taking on the entire JLA, which I love.
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
—Isaiah 9:6
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:30 PM   #28
jonasmorking
Kyle's Nude Model

I have that one as well. I didn't list it since it wasn't on the lists I found. As I gather it is out of continuity but it does give some insight and it because of that I think it earns its place.

However I don't have 1001 Emerald nights or the sleeper series, they seem weird to me.
Has anyone read them?
jonasmorking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:45 PM   #29
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

The only sleeper series I'm aware of is the novels. Is that what you are talking about? If so, they were never in continuity, and the only one that I thought was really decent was the Alan Scott one. Though I haven't read them in ages, so my memory could be faulty (they may ALL have been bad, and I just thought that one had the most promise...).

1001 Emerald Nights was Elseworlds if I recall correctly. I don't specifically remember whether it was good, though I have a vague recollection that the art might have been painted, which I often enjoy even if the story isn't so hot.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:05 PM   #30
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post

1001 Emerald Nights was Elseworlds if I recall correctly. I don't specifically remember whether it was good, though I have a vague recollection that the art might have been painted, which I often enjoy even if the story isn't so hot.
Pretty sure it was Elseworlds. I remember liking (not loving it). Ditto Dragon Lord.
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:42 PM   #31
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
I have that one as well. I didn't list it since it wasn't on the lists I found. As I gather it is out of continuity but it does give some insight and it because of that I think it earns its place.
that would be incorrect, as this was the story which returned Kilowog to this realm as a demon (or some demon hunter-ish thing) as a mindless demon hunter, and in the pages of GL he was still in that state, only not mindless.

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #32
Mister Ed

Well, to be fair, it probably IS out of continuity NOW. But so is the majority if GL's history, it often seems...
Old 10-01-2014, 03:25 PM   #33
jonasmorking
Kyle's Nude Model

Yes I was talking about the three books. This may be a really stupid question but I never got the elseworld thing, are those just stories talking place in another reality?
I thought the continuity part was when Oa was rebuilt or something, after Hal/Parallax destroyed everything. But I will take your word for it.
This is what happens when you collect a whole lot and don't have time to read it :-)
Old 10-01-2014, 03:30 PM   #34
Mister Ed

Quote:
Yes I was talking about the three books. This may be a really stupid question but I never got the elseworld thing, are those just stories talking place in another reality?
Yeah, Elseworlds is just intentionally divorced from the main continuity. Whether it is actually supposed to be taking place in another part of the "multiverse" is up to whatever the current concept of the "multiverse" is, and whether anybody sees fit to include the characters from that particular Elseworlds tale in it. There have certainly been many characters that originated in Elseworlds tales that have shown up in later stories dealing with the Multiverse, but there have probably been just as many that have never been seen outside the book they originally appeared in.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #35
Mister Ed

Quote:
I thought the continuity part was when Oa was rebuilt or something, after Hal/Parallax destroyed everything. But I will take your word for it.
This is what happens when you collect a whole lot and don't have time to read it :-)
Well, nowadays it seems like Oa was never destroyed back then in the first place (what with them digging up ancient Guardian secrets on it and all), so a story that dealt with the reconstruction of a planet that never got destroyed is bound to drop out of official continuity. Plus, that story also had Boodikka in it, and in later stories it was revealed that she was a Manhunter captive, so that was another contradiction.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #36
Tazer

Yo.

Im not sure that her capture by the Manhunters & Henshaw precludes her taking part in Kilo's "Dark Lantern" -phase, since its not really given exactly WHEN she got taken, only that it was after Jordan took her hand; hell, maybe they were the one who also turned her physique from that of a impressively muscled fighter into more babe-ish dimensions (while keeping her single handed.)

Tazer

Quote:
Old 10-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #37
Mister Ed

Quote:
Yo.

Im not sure that her capture by the Manhunters & Henshaw precludes her taking part in Kilo's "Dark Lantern" -phase, since its not really given exactly WHEN she got taken, only that it was after Jordan took her hand; hell, maybe they were the one who also turned her physique from that of a impressively muscled fighter into more babe-ish dimensions (while keeping her single handed.)

Tazer
I thought it was at least strongly implied that ALL the Lanterns Jordan left in his wake on his way to Oa were taken by Manhunters soon after. It would seem awfully coincidental that all the lanterns they had were the ones he fought in that rampage otherwise.

EDIT: Though I just remembered, they had Arisia, too, so it WASN'T just the Lanterns Jordan faced on the way to Oa.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 10-01-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:30 PM   #38
Tazer

Yo.

"awfully coincidental"??

did U forget this came from GJ, master of the Unnecessary Retcon??

Tazer

Quote:
Old 10-01-2014, 07:33 PM   #39
Mister Ed

Quote:
"awfully coincidental"??

did U forget this came from GJ, master of the Unnecessary Retcon??
Eh, when he tosses in a group of GLs made up almost entirely of the exact GLs that Hal fought on his way to Oa, I'm pretty sure the intention was that they were picked up after that event, if only to specifically clear Hal of any guilt over "killing" them.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:51 PM   #40
Tazer

Yo.

right. so like I said, given Boodikka's inclusion.........

Tazer

Quote:

Last edited by Tazer; 10-01-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:56 PM   #41
Mister Ed

Quote:
Yo.

right. so like I said, given Boddikka's inclusion.........

Tazer
I was the one arguing that it WAS a retcon, wasn't I? I'm getting confused by this "argument".
Old 10-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #42
Tazer

Yo.

not actually arguing w/ya here Ed.

Tazer

Quote:
Old 10-01-2014, 09:22 PM   #43
Mister Ed

Quote:
Yo.

not actually arguing w/ya here Ed.

Tazer
Well that would explain my confusion, I guess (that and my advanced years ). Though in my defense, did put quotes around "argument".
Old 10-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #44
Tazer

Yo.

Tazer

Quote:
Old 10-02-2014, 02:36 PM   #45
jonasmorking
Kyle's Nude Model

That was an amazing conversation :-)
I just seems weird to me to skip the entire Hal Jordan/Parallax thing but I do get your point. The weird thing is for me atleast that Rebirth made a thing of Hal jordan being Parallax so did they just skip parts of the "original story" or what? I do get the feeling that they more or less dropped the Hal Jordan/parallax story all together later on. What's your opinion?
Old 10-02-2014, 03:20 PM   #46
Mister Ed

Quote:
That was an amazing conversation :-)
I just seems weird to me to skip the entire Hal Jordan/Parallax thing but I do get your point. The weird thing is for me atleast that Rebirth made a thing of Hal jordan being Parallax so did they just skip parts of the "original story" or what? I do get the feeling that they more or less dropped the Hal Jordan/parallax story all together later on. What's your opinion?
Well, Rebirth didn't skip any parts of the original story, it retconned them to mean something different than they originally did. It was later that it seemed like big chunks of stuff just didn't happen at all. I'm pretty sure it is still supposed to be true that Hal was possessed by Parallax and "went bad", I just don't think it happened the way we originally read it anymore. I'm not sure the Guardians even died back then any more, it certainly doesn't seem like the Corps was completely gone, and Oa definitely wasn't blown up back then. It's kind of a mess, which is a shame, because previously Green Lantern was one of the few titles to have a continuity that seemed barely effected by major events. Crisis on Infinite Earths didn't seem to change a thing about GL's past, nor did Zero Hour.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:14 PM   #47
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Yeah I'm sure he was still Parallax at some point but that's about it. Not even sure they've mentioned him becoming the Spectre in the New52 which is probably a good thing. What's confusing is how it effects Kyle Rayner's history. In New Guardians #1 it shows Oa after much destruction leading to Kyle's origin, but then later on shows him as a rookie with the other Earth Lanterns still around. Another issue had Kyle having a flashback and revealing all of the costumes he's worn since he was introduced which would make you think everything still happened to him.

I honestly gave up on it making any sense and I'm waiting for a Secret Origins issue to finally put a lot of questions to rest.

~KL~
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #48
Space Cop
The Dandy

I'm almost positive he was not Spectre in the New 52 since none of the heroes seemed familiar with that character.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #49
jonasmorking
Kyle's Nude Model

You're right, it does put a large question mark on why Kyle Rayner is even in the story line (my favourite). He is refered to as their torchbearer and some sort of saviour just before Blackest night (just reread that part) but what that refers to is a bit hazy when reading what you guys wrote.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #50
jonasmorking
Kyle's Nude Model

Yet another question (I'm just throwing at you guys). Where would you put the Justice league (New 52) in with the new Green Lantern comics. I'm guessing that origin should be somewhere in the beginning of volume five and the villains journey should be somewhere around Revenge of the Black hand but what about the others (I've sort of neglected the Justice League TPB's).