Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael Heide View Post
    Well.............
    Ryan Reynolds has dumped on it in both Deadpool movies. You think he would have copped on by now.

Comment

Maybe it is becoming a running gag. One GL joke in every movie. Their version of "I have a bad feeling about this".

If you think about it, those 2 marvel movies have given GL more love than WB has since 2011.

Comment

ya know what i believe in GJ, whether you like it or not he did save GL back in the day, he did keep Kyle great, he made us look forwarded to the big cross-over events a year before it happened

IonFan says

MAGA then, MAGA now, MAGA FOREVER

Comment

Originally posted by IonFan View Post
          ya know what i believe in GJ, whether you like it or not he did save GL back in the day
          Debatable.
          he did keep Kyle great
          Don't make me laugh.
          he made us look forwarded to the big cross-over events a year before it happened
          That's true. And then we made the mistake of reading them.

I really like Geoff Johns. He's a nice guy. He loves comic books. But he completely killed Bart Allen, two Superboys, the concept of Crisis, the Legion of Superheroes, the Justice League and, yes, the Green Lantern franchise. It seemed so promising when he got on the book with Pacheco way back when. But it went down the drain before the New52 had started. And then it kept getting worse and worse.

Comment

Man now I know why I don't come here often, so much negativity. Few things I wanted to say about this real quick. First is I think people are misinturpreting what he meant. He was asked how this would be different the first Green Lantern movie to which he said this movie will “reinvent” the character’s movie presence and, "It’s a complete re-imagining, just like I did Green Lantern: Rebirth in the comics." So to some that up I took that as he wants to re-invent what people know about Green Lantern on the big screen like how in did in the comics with Rebirth but not specifically change things GL mythos.

And all that sounds great to me and if this movie is anything like his first few volumes of Green Lantern I think it'll be great. Nobody can write Hal & Sinestro like Johns so as long as he focuses on them and their relationship I couldn't be more excited.
            Green Lantern's Light!

https://twitter.com/CeltiC527

Comment

More from Geoff:

http://dccomicsnews.com/2018/08/06/g...er-woman-1984/

Mostly ruminating on the days he used to carry Richard Donner's jockstrap, as he always does in every interview since forever.

Comment

Originally posted by CeltiC5-27 View Post
                Man now I know why I don't come here often, so much negativity.

Hey man, I'm legitimately sorry that you don't feel that this is a fun place to post anymore. I agree many of us are negative, myself included. All I can say is I hope all of this changes and one day you find this is a place you want to hang your hat again.

Comment

I can understand why some people who liked Green Lantern prior to Geoff Johns can't stand his stuff. I became I fan of Green Lantern a bit before Geoff Johns began. Unfortunately, Ben Raab was writing at the time. I read his comics and they were SOOOO boring, but fortunately, I also got my hands on lots of early Gerard Jones back issues and loved them. And then I got Englehart back issues and I loved those even more!

Coming from that viewpoint I can say that despite having the trappings of Green Lantern, like rings and Guardians, and even the characters, much of the Geoff Johns run somehow manages to barely resemble the Green Lantern comics that came before it, and it seems rather disconnected from them, and only seemed to concern itself with... well, itself most of the time. Many of the previous runs weren't like that (ex: the Wolfman run wasn't like that, the Barr run wasn't like that, the Wein run wasn't like that, the Englehart run wasn't like that, the Jones run wasn't like that). Those other runs all worked off of and complimented each other, and the series kept its identity intact pretty good, in my opinion. Yes, Johns run brought some stuff over, but it got to a place where it was negligible and the stuff that was brought over (like, say, Blackhand) came with such a different flavor that he was like a totally different concept.

The Johns run was almost like something else entirely, from my viewpoint. The Lanterns became a constantly mobilized military unit instead of a spread out peace keeping force, big battles were happening all the time instead of only special occasions, it got to the point where none of the characters had personal lives, EVERYONE in the book had a ring of some color or other, a lot of characters and concepts fell to the wayside in favor of Geoff Johns' Emotional "wars") the Guardians turned evil, and it went on FOREVER.

To people who became fans during that Johns stuff--and I think many people did--I get that to them that's just what they associate Green Lantern as being. And I know they often fall back on its popularity compared to the other runs to justify keeping GL like that, but the point is, regardless of however popular Geoff Johns' Green Lantern was, there was a Green Lantern before that, and it must have had fans to have been published for so many years, and Johns turned Green Lantern into something very different from that, and it is still in that phase.

I think that phase has far worn out its welcome, and many people just aren't excited to hear about more Geoff Johnsian Green Lantern. I think DC/WB needs to get past the popularity that the Johns model for Green Lantern had back in the '00s and realize that it's not that time anymore (it's about 10 years removed from the height of that time, actually), and it's time for something different. Perhaps the comics have realized that, but the movies really need to as well.

So yeah, I think many fans have just had enough of that stuff, just like they eventually had enough of the Corps being gone (which also lasted FOREVER) and, personally speaking, I think that's understandable.
                  ZATSWAN.COM Zatswan: Multiversal Guardian, the brand new cosmic comic book, now available!

Comment

Nobody wanted Geoff to completely change everything. He did that on his own. The people who wanted Hal and the Corps back just wanted it to go back to the Englehart and Jones type of stories.

I'm still waiting for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Star-Lantern View Post
                      I can understand why some people who liked Green Lantern prior to Geoff Johns can't stand his stuff. I became I fan of Green Lantern a bit before Geoff Johns began. Unfortunately, Ben Raab was writing at the time. I read his comics and they were SOOOO boring, but fortunately, I also got my hands on lots of early Gerard Jones back issues and loved them. And then I got Englehart back issues and I loved those even more!

Coming from that viewpoint I can say that despite having the trappings of Green Lantern, like rings and Guardians, and even the characters, much of the Geoff Johns run somehow manages to barely resemble the Green Lantern comics that came before it, and it seems rather disconnected from them, and only seemed to concern itself with... well, itself most of the time. Many of the previous runs weren't like that (ex: the Wolfman run wasn't like that, the Barr run wasn't like that, the Wein run wasn't like that, the Englehart run wasn't like that, the Jones run wasn't like that). Those other runs all worked off of and complimented each other, and the series kept its identity intact pretty good, in my opinion. Yes, Johns run brought some stuff over, but it got to a place where it was negligible and the stuff that was brought over (like, say, Blackhand) came with such a different flavor that he was like a totally different concept.

The Johns run was almost like something else entirely, from my viewpoint. The Lanterns became a constantly mobilized military unit instead of a spread out peace keeping force, big battles were happening all the time instead of only special occasions, it got to the point where none of the characters had personal lives, EVERYONE in the book had a ring of some color or other, a lot of characters and concepts fell to the wayside in favor of Geoff Johns' Emotional "wars") the Guardians turned evil, and it went on FOREVER.

To people who became fans during that Johns stuff--and I think many people did--I get that to them that's just what they associate Green Lantern as being. And I know they often fall back on its popularity compared to the other runs to justify keeping GL like that, but the point is, regardless of however popular Geoff Johns' Green Lantern was, there was a Green Lantern before that, and it must have had fans to have been published for so many years, and Johns turned Green Lantern into something very different from that, and it is still in that phase.

I think that phase has far worn out its welcome, and many people just aren't excited to hear about more Geoff Johnsian Green Lantern. I think DC/WB needs to get past the popularity that the Johns model for Green Lantern had back in the '00s and realize that it's not that time anymore (it's about 10 years removed from the height of that time, actually), and it's time for something different. Perhaps the comics have realized that, but the movies really need to as well.

So yeah, I think many fans have just had enough of that stuff, just like they eventually had enough of the Corps being gone (which also lasted FOREVER) and, personally speaking, I think that's understandable.
                      Agree 100%. Bravo.

Comment

Working...
                      X