The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > General > General/About Us
FLASHCHAT

General

Old 06-19-2012, 04:06 PM   #601
Space Cop
The Dandy

Yeah. It's really not that hard to believe that due to age, experience, culture, and/or loneliness that sex and romance are off his radar.

Maybe it's something loss in our society too. We greet avuncular relationships with suspicion.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:35 PM   #602
Spectre216
Green Lantern Initiate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho.../Caroline-John
Spectre216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #603
Tazer
That Evil, Yellow Bastiche

Yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolerathon View Post
It just makes sense to me since he spends so much of his time teaching them things and treats them with a mentor like contempt. After all he really didn't want to leave Susan but knows he has to get out of the way. It's not till we get to Perri that shows signs of changing but then the change to Colin Baker makes the moment pass and they adjust to being friends once they get over the bickering.

It bothers me how shallow it is when the guys in charge think the only way a relationship can be involving is if it is romantic. It's just lazy. There is depth to be found in superficiality and not every member of the opposite sex is going to be an earth shattering romance.

I like it when the Dr is a weird space alien with a slight disconnect from humans. Too bad now he isn't but the writer is.
hold on: didnt we see those very things with the 9th Doc & Rose (the slight disconnect), and then the 10th & Donna (the platonic relationship)??

also, I dont think the 11th was ever in love w/Amy, inasmuch as playing the guilty/apologetic guardian role..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Yeah. It's really not that hard to believe that due to age, experience, culture, and/or loneliness that sex and romance are off his radar.

Maybe it's something loss in our society too. We greet avuncular relationships with suspicion.
*runs to go lookup "av-u-nclar"*

<.< >.> <.<

Tazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Tazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #604
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer View Post
hold on: didnt we see those very things with the 9th Doc & Rose (the slight disconnect), and then the 10th & Donna (the platonic relationship)??
The Dr and Rose were mooning over each other almost from the word go. Her departure was treated like him losing the love of his life.

Quote:
also, I dont think the 11th was ever in love w/Amy, inasmuch as playing the guilty/apologetic guardian role..........[/COLOR]
That only works if you ignore the mega contrived "girl who waited" bullshit, which was peppered all the way through. My issue is forced, pointless romances and total, screaming melodrama (with reference to interpersonal relationships) which the series had had in spades. Writers that refuse to acknowledge simplicity really bug me. Not every single aspect of a story needs to be convoluted and Moffat is so up his own ass about stuff like that. The guy clearly thinks he's some kind of tv genius when all he managed to do was make sci fi into soap opera and Sherlock Holmes crap.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #605
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre216 View Post
Aww. Liz Shaw is not my favorite companion but Caroline John did a good job with the role. RIP.

Quote:
...also, I dont think the 11th was ever in love w/Amy, inasmuch as playing the guilty/apologetic guardian role..........
True, but she did try to jump him. And even with Donna they had to make a big deal about it not being romantic/sexual and he still kissed her.

Quote:
*runs to go lookup "av-u-nclar"*

<.< >.> <.<
Tazer
Now you can impress your friends with the word. Try to drop it in casual conversation.

Quote:
...That only works if you ignore the mega contrived "girl who waited" bullshit, which was peppered all the way through. My issue is forced, pointless romances and total, screaming melodrama (with reference to interpersonal relationships) which the series had had in spades. Writers that refuse to acknowledge simplicity really bug me. Not every single aspect of a story needs to be convoluted and Moffat is so up his own ass about stuff like that...
NuWho seems to proceed with the assumption that there's at least sexual tension between the Doctor and his companion. They can no longer just accept a platonic relationship at face value.

I agree with the other point to. I miss one-off stories that in no way tie into the rest of the season or reveal some universal secret.

I'm kind of getting fed up with NuWho. Nowadays, I look forward more to getting a classic story on DVD (there's still a fair amount I haven't seen) than I do to the season premier.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:33 PM   #606
TazzMission
Banned

so my boy ben browder will be on doctor who

http://blastr.com/2012/03/farscapes-ben-browder-do.php
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:33 PM   #607
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian

Quote:
I'm kind of getting fed up with NuWho. Nowadays, I look forward more to getting a classic story on DVD (there's still a fair amount I haven't seen) than I do to the season premier.
TruWho all the way!

Just ordered "The Sun Makers" and "The Daemons" and watched through all mine apart from "The War Games". Upon yet another rewatch of Timelash I realised that the timelash itself has absolutely nothing to do with anything.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #608
Lantern of Gallifrey
Weaponer of Qward

For anyone that happens to live close to Kentucky, Peter Davison will be appearing at Fandom Fest next weekend. I'm going. It's probably the only time I'll get to meet any regeneration of the Doctor. If I get a picture I'll post it.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #609
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazzMission View Post
so my boy ben browder will be on doctor who...
Awesome!

Quote:
TruWho all the way!

Just ordered "The Sun Makers" and "The Daemons" and watched through all mine apart from "The War Games". Upon yet another rewatch of Timelash I realised that the timelash itself has absolutely nothing to do with anything.
It's really sad but I have a certain fondness for "Timelash." I guess it's like loving the ugly stepchild.

Last edited by Space Cop; 06-22-2012 at 02:11 AM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:03 AM   #610
TazzMission
Banned

[QUOTE=Space Cop;716047]
Quote:
so my boy ben browder will be on doctor who...

Awesome!
now i have an excuse to actually start watching it

ive seen it advertised manytimes but never really thought on checking it out
TazzMission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #611
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian

[QUOTE=Space Cop;716047]
Quote:
It's really sad but I have a certain fondness for "Timelash." I guess it's like loving the ugly stepchild.
It's up there with "Invasion of the Dinosaurs" as the very worst of TruWho but at least Timelash has Paul Darrow chewing the scenery. It's perfect MST3K fodder. It annoys me less than "The Two Doctors" since that could have been good but Timelash was going to be garbage from the get go. The writer had just finished working as an ambulance driver and wanted to do a Dalek story but the producers said no to newbies writing Daleks. They also got H.G. Wells middle name wrong. The commentaries are great cause everyone is just bitching away about it with Darrow making passes at Nicola Bryant.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:11 AM   #612
Space Cop
The Dandy

[QUOTE=Bolerathon;716106]
Quote:

It's up there with "Invasion of the Dinosaurs" as the very worst of TruWho but at least Timelash has Paul Darrow chewing the scenery. It's perfect MST3K fodder. It annoys me less than "The Two Doctors" since that could have been good but Timelash was going to be garbage from the get go. The writer had just finished working as an ambulance driver and wanted to do a Dalek story but the producers said no to newbies writing Daleks. They also got H.G. Wells middle name wrong. The commentaries are great cause everyone is just bitching away about it with Darrow making passes at Nicola Bryant.
Yeah, I watched the commentary, it's pretty funny with the cross finger pointing. It's a show that dares you to like it. I haven't seen the infamous Dinosaurs yet.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:00 AM   #613
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian

Quote:
Yeah, I watched the commentary, it's pretty funny with the cross finger pointing. It's a show that dares you to like it. I haven't seen the infamous Dinosaurs yet.
The dinosaurs aren't even the worst thing about it. Don't get me wrong, they are the lamest things you will ever see but it gets worse. It's 6 episodes long and each one is 25 mins. From the end of ep 1 the plot does not progress till 22 1/2 minutes into episode 6 and then it all ends in 2 minutes. The Doctor is immune to the special time field because "he's a timelord". Seriously, that's it.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:29 PM   #614
Tazer

Yo.

Quote:
The Dr and Rose were mooning over each other almost from the word go. Her departure was treated like him losing the love of his life.
the TENTH Doc & Rose did the mooning; her dealings #9 had more of an adversarial edge to them (again, much like Donna & #10)

Quote:
That only works if you ignore the mega contrived "girl who waited" bullshit, which was peppered all the way through.
actually, it was BECUASE of her being "the girl who waited" (*twice* mind ya) that his behavior makes sense given the context, but I didnt detect the same type of emotional depth w/her that his 10th iteration had w/Rose or Martha.

Quote:
My issue is forced, pointless romances and total, screaming melodrama (with reference to interpersonal relationships) which the series had had in spades. Writers that refuse to acknowledge simplicity really bug me. Not every single aspect of a story needs to be convoluted and Moffat is so up his own ass about stuff like that. The guy clearly thinks he's some kind of tv genius when all he managed to do was make sci fi into soap opera and Sherlock Holmes crap.
ok, I can agree w/that in a general sense, but this version of the show *has been* a bit more varied than yur making it out to have been.

Tazer

Quote:
Geoff Johns should have a 10 mile restraining order from comic books, let alone films.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #615
Bolerathon
Avant Guardian

Quote:
ok, I can agree w/that in a general sense, but this version of the show *has been* a bit more varied than yur making it out to have been.
The non romance companions don't get much airtime with the exception of Donna. The Dr had a thing for Rose as did Mickey, Jack wanted to screw everyone, Martha started off wanting him as did Amy and Rory was just a tag along for her. River may be the worst of them all since she just loves him for no reason out of the blue and she had no reason to be there at all.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:50 PM   #616
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

Quote:
Yeah...cause no-one has Japanese teenage girls on adventures. River Song should go but not because of her age. Barbara was older and she rocked. River just sucks.

I liked the idea that the reason the Dr spent so much time with young women for so long was they served as a surrogate for Susan. However Moffat being Moffat he'll reuse the same bullshit over and over and we'll have the Dr meeting his 4th great love in the span of a few years.
I must admit that having an older companion was a good idea, but the character was too strong for the current doctor. If anyone could have worked well with River, it's the 9th doctor, and then I can see some flaws. Also, Babra wasn't that old, she was just posh, and actully, she didn't rock at all. I didn't like her that much, but then again, I'm not a big fan of 60s or 70s dr who (I'm not a big fan of 10s dr who eigther), it's 80s and 00s dr who that apeal to me, I liked the one episode in te 90s too!
Quote:
so my boy ben browder will be on doctor who

http://blastr.com/2012/03/farscapes-ben-browder-do.php
Congratulations! Which episode will he be in? Is it a minor part, or a big one for the episode?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:09 PM   #617
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
...Congratulations! Which episode will he be in? Is it a minor part, or a big one for the episode?
No word yet just like there was a teaser announcement when Gaiman wrote an episode months and months before the announced the title and placement.

I'm sure one of us will post when there's news.

I wouldn't expect him to be just a walk-in considering his fan appeal. I would guess that he's someone the Doctor works with.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #618
Deadpool

Yeah. When is series 7 comming on anyway?
Quote:
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Old 06-23-2012, 09:39 PM   #619
Space Cop
The Dandy

IMDb still says August, which is all I've heard so far.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #620
Deadpool

News: They've revealed the title of the first episode of series seven. It's called asylam of the daleks, and there's going to be every dalek the doctor ever faced in it. I made a thread about this in the general section, here's a picture bellow. It's funny how the first episodes of the series seem to be the best nowadays.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #621
Abin Surly
or ewe sirius

Old 07-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #622
Space Cop
The Dandy

The funny part is those Daleks can't even get on the bus.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:25 AM   #623
Lantern of Gallifrey
Weaponer of Qward

Did anyone hear about how they are trying to change the Doctor to a female? I read it on another site. http://www.express.co.uk/features/view/311988IMHO I think this is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. If it's true someone needs to be fired.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #624
Tazer

Yo.

http://scifibulletin.com/2012/07/02/...in-doctor-who/

Quote:
Diana Rigg and Rachel Stirling join Doctor Who

Tazer

Quote:
Old 07-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #625
Space Cop
The Dandy

Avenger, Bond Girl, and now DW? Way to rack up the fanboy cred, Ms. Rigg.