The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Sector 0
FLASHCHAT

Sector 0

Old 03-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #1
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Default Changes to the original concept

To continue this discussion from elsewhere, these are charges to the original concept that would help in a reboot.

-- Make Sinestro the murderer of Abin Sur and thief of his ring, the Weaponers of Qward having recruited him to assassinate Abin and infiltrate the GLC. He should not be depicted as "badass" or "cool," and certainly not proclaimed as the greatest Green Lantern. And he doesn't need to lead a Corps.

-- Have all four Earth Lanterns get their rings at the same time, and depict them as equals.

-- The CBP should run the Corps and the Guardians should stay out of sight.

-- Software is about to make test pilots obsolete, so Hal needs a new profession. I'd make him a race car driver.

-- The Xudarians should look fierce and imposing, not flimsy.

-- Carol shouldn't be a Star Sapphire. That's corny. You can keep the Star Sapphires though.

-- Try the GLC without ring constructs. They're corny. If Alan doesn't join the Corps, then he can keep his. I bet they won't be missed, especially in terms of special effects for the movies, but if they are, then you can bring them back.

That's about all in terms of the original concept, I think. There's other stuff to lose, but it was introduced in the past 25 years. I wouldn't keep much of anything that was added after Kyle was.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-26-2017 at 01:54 PM.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:25 PM   #2
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

These are the other two things I've advocated in a reboot, but they don't involve changing the original concept.

-- Having two A titles, not an A title and a B title, with one based on Earth and the other in space, and putting the other two Lanterns on teams. (Also with Alan in JSA, of course.) Not coordinating the two titles but letting them tell their own stories.

-- Retiring the emotional spectrum or putting it in a recurring mini.

That's it.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
Space Cop
The Dandy

GLs should somehow be compensated in their home-planet currency. A day job distracts too much from their duties. Heck, if you were the cop just for America that would be a full-time job, let alone for a sector composing multiple solar systems.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:21 PM   #4
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
GLs should somehow be compensated in their home-planet currency. A day job distracts too much from their duties. Heck, if you were the cop just for America that would be a full-time job, let alone for a sector composing multiple solar systems.
I remember an issue somewhere that suggested they DO get compensated with some sort of currency as well as R&R. Otherwise how would Guy have run another Warriors Bard and Grill on Oa? Couldn't take currency from 3600 space sectors.

~//V\\~

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world." - Albert Einstein
-//V\\- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:31 PM   #5
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

If anyone is going to reboot Green Lantern, I don't want him to add anything, because any of that will probably end up sucking in the long run.

I want to hear about what he's going to eliminate, because that's where any improvement is going to occur.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:07 PM   #6
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I think that Hal could still be a test pilot, and part of the initial storyline could be about him becoming obsolete and wondering what he'll do when that happens. Then he gets a ring and a new life opens up for him...and then we don't have to deal with him trying to juggle a career on Earth and interstellar responsibilities.

I mean, if he's going to be hanging around Earth plenty, I'd like him to have a supporting cast, but they don't have to be co-workers, really. Heck, they could be FORMER co-workers, since Tom and Carol's roles at Ferris Air wouldn't have to be obsolete I would think, especially if they are modified a bit. He could have people on Earth that he is close to, that he would interact with when he was on-planet, without having to be employed with them.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 03-31-2017 at 09:14 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:17 PM   #7
Space Cop
The Dandy

Yeah, a job that's rare doesn't bother me. If he were a bomb shelter maker, I'd be fine with that because it technically still exists. Now, if he were an alchemist or castle-moat digger, that might be pushing it.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:29 PM   #8
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

When a comic has been around for as long as Green Lantern has without a reboot, a lot of detritus has gotten attached to it. Most of it is stuff that different writers have added to it but that has become clutter.

The ring constructs Carol as a Star Sapphire are a different matter, since they were there all along. Anyone is entitled to think they're cool, but there's no evidence that they sell the product to anyone but old timers, who shouldn't be a concern anyway.

Get rid of them, and if by some chance that hurts the comic, in particular its sales, then bring them back.

I bet you it wouldn't though.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:03 PM   #9
Mister Ed

Quote:
Yeah, a job that's rare doesn't bother me. If he were a bomb shelter maker, I'd be fine with that because it technically still exists. Now, if he were an alchemist or castle-moat digger, that might be pushing it.
I guess my idea was to let the impending obsolescence of his job allow us to still have him be a test-pilot kind of guy, but then free him up from actually having to do any test-piloting in short order. I can't say I've ever been impressed with any of the machinations they've gone through to allow Hal to have a job and still be able to run off at a moment's notice for uncertain periods of time to do GL stuff. Some of the professions he's had might have been more conducive to that, but just seemed like poor fits with Hal's personality, while other times they just asked us to suspend our disbelief REALLY HARD, so he could hold down a REGULAR job somehow. I'd just as soon leave that behind. I may have missed Hal interacting with an Earthly supporting cast, but I don't particularly miss him having to try to make a job work.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:07 PM   #10
Mister Ed

I doubt losing Carol as Star Sapphire would be a big deal, as there were HUGE periods of GL history where that was pretty much ignored or irrelevant. (Heck, I can't even say for sure if she's still Star Sapphire NOW. I haven't seen her in a while.)

Obviously I think getting rid of the constructs is a mistake, but I've learned the hard way that engaging on that point is futile at best, so I'll just let it go, secure in my belief that DC will never actually get rid of them (not while they are still trying to publish a GL comic, anyway).
Old 04-01-2017, 01:45 AM   #11
Deadpool
Fight like a man: with your words, not your fists.

I'll contradict Trey Strain's idea of having the four Earth Lanterns getting their rings at the same time, by suggesting the precise opposite; have them many, many years apart. Have Hal a middle aged, well seasoned Lantern and training the newest recruit (either Rayner or Baz, my vote goes towards a teenage Baz).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Caesar View Post
If I had things like the internet and a laptop as a kid, I never would have left my room as a teenager.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker View Post
I am the Geoff Johns of the GLCMB.
Deadpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:55 PM   #12
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

A few more Silver Age concepts that need to go: the 24-hour charge, the weakness to yellow, and the whole damned willpower thing, with its bullshit of this character's willpower is greater than that one's.

I'd keep the individual power batteries though, because I like the oath.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #13
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Willpower?!? You want to get rid of willpower being needed to operate a Green Lantern ring?!?

That's one of the cornerstones for how the power works for the reader! If you had your way, any idiot could use one of the rings. Thank God you AREN'T writing GL!
Old 04-01-2017, 10:24 PM   #14
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

There should be no hierarchy among the Lanterns, based on will power or anything else. Let the readers decide which ones they like. Don't make the decision for them.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:48 PM   #15
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Does it bother you that much that Hal Jordan is considered a bigger name than Guy Gardner?
Old 04-02-2017, 05:29 AM   #16
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
Does it bother you that much that Hal Jordan is considered a bigger name than Guy Gardner?
It bothers me that they proclaim him "the greatest Green Lantern," and then they don't know why Guy, John and Kyle can't sell titles. Of course they can't sell titles. How could they?

What happened? Did you read my Guy story? I wrote a Hal story too, but I took it down because I'm using that plot for another project. I also wrote an Alan Scott/Spectre story that I took down for the same reason. If I were to wrote the latter one again, I'd use Hal in Alan's place because of the way DC is bringing Alan back. I'm not downgrading Hal. i'd try to sell all the Earth Lanterns, not one of them.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-02-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:35 AM   #17
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
Willpower?!? You want to get rid of willpower being needed to operate a Green Lantern ring?!?

That's one of the cornerstones for how the power works for the reader! If you had your way, any idiot could use one of the rings. Thank God you AREN'T writing GL!
No they couldn't, if each ring was personalized to work only for the person it was assigned to. Of course the Guardians would take such an obvious precaution. At most gyms now, you have to use your fingerprint to get admitted. Do you think a power ring wouldn't have at least as sophisticated a safety feature? Or that it would be crude enough that "more will" would make it work better? "Ring creativity," with constructs, shouldn't figure into it either.

Why would the Guardians give out power rings that work better for some Lanterns than for others? That's daft. They have to be designed to perform optimally for all Lanterns, and each one only for its owner.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-02-2017 at 06:27 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:21 PM   #18
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Most of what I post about comics is, what's going to sell more of them? Thinking of ways to sell stuff is what I do.

Most of what fanboys post is, the hell with what sells, what's going to protect my favorite character and traditional concepts?

Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-02-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 01:45 PM   #19
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
...Most of what fanboys post is, the hell with what sells, what's going to protect my favorite character and traditional concepts?
My favorite character is a guy who can make whatever he wills with his ring. Maybe a book about yet another guy who can fly and protect himself in space would sell, but I wouldn't read it any more than I would read a Superman who's too weak to lift a car.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:33 PM   #20
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I'm not much concerned about catering to fanboys, given that they're not much concerned about selling comics. They tend to work at cross-purposes with the comics industry. They're invested in the past, whether or not it makes any money. On top of that, most of them have aged out of the prime demographic for comics. They're noisy and demanding, but their dollars don't add up to enough to worry about.

What's going to get more people buying your product, and isn't a gimmick that will wear out quickly? That's always the question.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-02-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:11 PM   #21
-//V\\-
Guardian of the Universe

So he basically wants a Corps of these types of Lanterns..?

~//V\\~

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world." - Albert Einstein
-//V\\- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:43 PM   #22
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
I'm not much concerned about catering to fanboys, given that they're not much concerned about selling comics. They tend to work at cross-purposes with the comics industry. They're invested in the past, whether or not it makes any money. On top of that, most of them have aged out of the prime demographic for comics. They're noisy and demanding, but their dollars don't add up to enough to worry about...
I make no claim that I am indispensable to the comic industry.

I don't think I'm noisy and demanding either. This is the only place I even voice my comic preferences (unless someone at the LCS asks). I don't write fan letters, tweets, or e-mails. I don't drop and pick up GL based on what's going on in the book or who's making it. Even in the rather radical case that DC should decide that they will go against 76 years of how Green Lantern is defined as a super hero, they still probably wouldn't hear from me and I wouldn't argue their right to do what they want. I'd just drop the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -//V\\- View Post
So he basically wants a Corps of these types of Lanterns..?
He basically wants the Darkstars.

Last edited by Space Cop; 04-02-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:45 PM   #23
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpool View Post
I'll contradict Trey Strain's idea of having the four Earth Lanterns getting their rings at the same time, by suggesting the precise opposite; have them many, many years apart. Have Hal a middle aged, well seasoned Lantern and training the newest recruit (either Rayner or Baz, my vote goes towards a teenage Baz).
Not a bad idea, if you can do it in one story. But leave out Baz.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:50 PM   #24
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I make no claim that I am indispensable to the comic industry.

I don't think I'm noisy and demanding either. This is the only place I even voice my comic preferences (unless someone at the LCS asks). I don't write fan letters, tweets, or e-mails. I don't drop and pick up GL based on what's going on in the book or who's making it. Even in the rather radical case that DC should decide that they will go against 76 years of how Green Lantern is defined as a super hero, they still probably wouldn't hear from me and I wouldn't argue their right to do what they want. I'd just drop the book.

He basically wants the Darkstars.

No I don't want the Darkstars.

You can do anything without ring constructs that you can do with them, only much less silly.

You want to pull something? Use a tractor beam. You want to defend yourself? Shield up. You want to attack? Shoot a disruptor or a laser on high. You want only to subdue? Shoot a disruptor on low. You want to pry something open? Just do it. You want to analyze a substance or an artifact? No problem. You want a medical diagnosis? You can get one.

Characters who can do that and fly through interstellar space aren't super-heroes? Please.

You don't need giant green eggbeaters and stuff like that.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-02-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:36 PM   #25
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

Is your next great idea to make all GLs weak to Kryptonite? Because what you just described is Superman

The eggbeaters and the jet planes and the Gatling guns are what make GLs unique, if DC came out and said GLs can only fly and shoot laser beams so many people would drop that shit like a bad habit

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote