This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three Coins in the Fountain (1954)

"You can't be as antisocial as you are and still expect people to know you're alive."

A light, 50s romance, but I thought pretty good. It centers around three American secretaries in Rome falling for three different guys.

Comment

• Ant-Man (2015)

Comment

• Mortal Kombat: Legacy II (2014)

"Fatality."

Comment

• The Green Slime (1968)

"Yosh!"

James Rolfe mentioned this in his "Highlights of 2017" video, so I checked for it on Netflix (no results at all), which meant watching an upload on YouTube.

Naturally, despite the only-white-people casting, all the spoken language and film text is in Japanese.

Not that this was bad, but honestly, the entire thing felt like it could have been part of a 30-minute TV series episode. It didn't feel stretched out exactly, but rather that it was a feature-length airing of another industry's content. Misplaced, if anything.

Seeing the green slime at first really called up memories of The Blob, the way it pulsed and moved around. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the filmmakers were directly inspired by McQueen's adventure. The mature creature is just a small kaiju suit, the eye actually looks a little unnerving.

The death scenes were a little more than I expected (especially when they open the door for the doctor and his dead, horrified face is staring right at them, still standing upright).

Watching Dracula (Lugosi, '31) right now, I'll give a proper review to it later tonight.
          Villain Draft 3: Fourth Place Winner

September 11, 2001; January 6, 2021; February 13, 2021

Comment

• For the bicentennial of Shelley's novel:

Bride of Frankenstein (1935)

"It's a perfect night for mystery and horror. The air itself is filled with monsters."
            Space Cop
            The Dandy
            Last edited by Space Cop; 01-02-2018, 02:05 PM.

Comment

• :Moderator:

In anticipation of The Disaster Artist:

The Room. It's worse than you think or heard. But watch it anyway.

If not checkout Old School Wrestling reviews The Room. Both are on Youtube.
              sigpic
              Winner: Reality TV draft 2014

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman

Comment

• And for the super wolf moon (and because Agent reminded me of it):

Werewolf of London (1935)

"You are foolish, but without fools there would be no wisdom."

[The fact that they were both Universal horror movies from 1935 was just a coincidence.]

Originally posted by Maverick_GL View Post
                In anticipation of The Disaster Artist:

The Room.
                It's worse than you think or heard. But watch it anyway...
                I was just telling someone today that when I watched The Room at first I was thinking, "I can't finish this, it's so bad," but as it got going I was more like "I can't turn it off!" It's hard to explain. It's in a different category from the other oft-cited best-worst movies (Plan 9 from Outer Space; Trolls 2; Samurai Cop). It has to be seen to be believed, but it's definitely not a family film, so not for all mixed company. It's probably a good one to watch with buddies and share some drinks though I haven't done that.
                Space Cop
                The Dandy
                Last edited by Space Cop; 01-02-2018, 02:06 PM.

Comment

• Doctor Strange (2016)

Comment

• :Moderator:

Originally posted by robojac View Post
                    Doctor Strange (2016)

What did you think? Visually I was impressed but the character and the story felt lacking.
                    sigpic
                    Winner: Reality TV draft 2014

"Weeds. All of them weeds. I am perfection, and I am alone in the garden of the universe." - Cyborg Superman

Comment

• Terror of Frankenstein [aka Victor Frankenstein] (1977)

"Do you have any more corpses?"

And another for the anniversary. Follows the novel more closely than Universal or Hammer.
                      Space Cop
                      The Dandy
                      Last edited by Space Cop; 01-02-2018, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maverick_GL View Post
                        What did you think? Visually I was impressed but the character and the story felt lacking.
                        This was my second viewing of Doctor Strange since I saw it in the theater and I still think it's very good and entertaining. The movie's well cast and Michael Giacchino's score is excellent. The story tries to subvert the genre tropes with the love interest, the third act final battle, and etc. The visual effects deserve it's Oscar nomination. I'm looking forward to the sequel which will be weirder and stranger than the first one. Sadly, this is how the GL movie should have been handled.

Comment

• Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)

Comment

• Originally posted by Space Cop View Post
                            And for the super wolf moon (and because Agent reminded me of it):

Werewolf of London (1935)
                            Ah-hoooooooo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDpYBT0XyvA

Comment

• Leatherface (2017)

"Listen to me! No hillbilly's gonna ruin my son's special night."

Comment

• Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

Comment

Working...
                                X