The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern on the Screen
FLASHCHAT

GL in Animation
View Poll Results: What do you think of this news?
Great news! 1 20.00%
Bad news! 3 60.00%
Not crazy about it but might be good 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2018, 06:13 PM   #1
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew NDB
Default Tom Cruise for Hal? Chris McQuarrie for director?

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/green...-corps-a158424

I think they'd be lucky to get Tom, personally.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

I'd be fine with it. I'm not a particularly big Tom Cruise fan, but I don't dislike him, and he's a big enough name that were they to land him for the film, it would at least serve as something of an indicator to me that the studio was actually taking the movie somewhat seriously (though there are plenty of actors that are less well known that could do the role justice given a decent script. And Cruise isn't going to fix things if the script sucks.)
Old 03-07-2018, 08:21 PM   #3
Space Cop
The Dandy

He did so much for the Mummy movie. *cough*
Old 03-07-2018, 08:54 PM   #4
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

12+ years ago maybe, but now? No.... so much no. WB's answer to making a movie work is to hire a big name actor. Did Ben Afleck save Batman? No he did not. Will Jason Mamoa save Aquaman... probably not.

Chris Pine was offered GL and when he saw the script for WW he knew which role to take. There went the perfect Hal right there...

~//V\\~
Old 03-07-2018, 09:33 PM   #5
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by -//V\\- View Post
Did Ben Afleck save Batman? No he did not.
We haven't even gotten Batman 1 yet.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:26 PM   #6
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
We haven't even gotten Batman 1 yet.
After two shit performances they didn't want him in it! The first thing the new director did was throw out Afleck and Johns script! That wasn't so he'd stick around...

~//V\\~
Old 03-08-2018, 12:01 AM   #7
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I saw this today on Shill-ider, I mean Collider. Not really excited by the idea of Cruise playing Jordan. Not that I think it would ever come to pass anyway.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:06 AM   #8
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
After two shit performances they didn't want him in it!
Affleck's performance in BvS was widely considered its biggest saving grace... murdering and whatnot aside.

Hard to get mad at him in JL. They literally used NONE of his performance in the Snyder version... it was all reshoot stuff. By this time he wasn't even in Batman shape anymore. And probably pissed he had to redo everything from scratch.

Quote:
The first thing the new director did was throw out Afleck and Johns script!
Thank god. The smartest thing a Hollywood director can ever do is throw out a script with Geoff Johns' name on it.

Quote:
That wasn't so he'd stick around...
Nonsense. Reeves had said over and over again, "That's our guy" for "The Batman." Affleck has said over and over again he is keen on the movie, but won't commit to anything until he reads a script he likes. There is still NO SCRIPT, so he can't commit yet. The story is literally as simple as that.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:45 AM   #9
IonFan
Forum Member

i've got to go with bad news on this

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k the "Deep-State" and screw all the fake news, one year in and I still support our President one
Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #10
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I'm pretty hesitant to have any actor THAT well known playing Hal Jordan. Even with Ryan Reynolds, all I see is Reynolds playing himself onscreen. It's another thing that takes me out of that movie. With Cruise I feel like it would be the same. He would do a good job, but I'd just be seeing It become another Cruise vehicle.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:03 AM   #11
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I like the idea of an older veteran Hal training a young John Stewart and them butting heads in a buddy cop sci fi action flick. But I don't want Hal to be TOO old. An early 20s looking Stewart and a late 30s looking Jordan sounds right to me. I think a 50s-ish Hal would be a mistep. Make the age gap because John is so young, not because Hal is so old.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #12
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I like the idea of an older veteran Hal training a young John Stewart and them butting heads in a buddy cop sci fi action flick. But I don't want Hal to be TOO old. An early 20s looking Stewart and a late 30s looking Jordan sounds right to me. I think a 50s-ish Hal would be a mistep. Make the age gap because John is so young, not because Hal is so old.
It would allow Kyle to shine. The younger, hipper guy.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:19 PM   #13
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
Well, if Cruise were playing him they'd probably pretend he was under 40.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:25 AM   #14
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Affleck's performance in BvS was widely considered its biggest saving grace... murdering and whatnot aside.

Hard to get mad at him in JL. They literally used NONE of his performance in the Snyder version... it was all reshoot stuff. By this time he wasn't even in Batman shape anymore. And probably pissed he had to redo everything from scratch.

Thank god. The smartest thing a Hollywood director can ever do is throw out a script with Geoff Johns' name on it.

Nonsense. Reeves had said over and over again, "That's our guy" for "The Batman." Affleck has said over and over again he is keen on the movie, but won't commit to anything until he reads a script he likes. There is still NO SCRIPT, so he can't commit yet. The story is literally as simple as that.
Where did the new director say this? Because everything I've read suggests he's doing a Batman film earlier in this cinematic version of the character's career, and they would indeed be looking for a new actor for Batman.

When Reeves got the job it seemed like the two were excited to be working together, but script/story rewrites were already being discussed. And after JL did so poorly, it's understandable Reeves would wanna distance himself from that clusterfuck with his own Batman. Now the question is whether or not this solo Batman film will even be part of the film universe or stand on it's own.

It seems like one of the first things leading up to the Flashpoint film will be WB finding their new Batman and Joker moving forward. Afleck and Leto might have another film in their contracts, but that doesn't exactly mean it'll be the solo Batman movie or the Joker origin film for either one of them.

~//V\\~
Old 03-09-2018, 06:25 PM   #15
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

He should play Jay Garrick. You know, because he can outrun explosions and all that.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:27 PM   #16
Andrew NDB
Shot Caller

Quote:
Where did the new director say this? Because everything I've read suggests he's doing a Batman film earlier in this cinematic version of the character's career, and they would indeed be looking for a new actor for Batman.
FAKE news. All fake.

Quote:
It seems like one of the first things leading up to the Flashpoint film will be WB finding their new Batman and Joker moving forward. Afleck and Leto might have another film in their contracts, but that doesn't exactly mean it'll be the solo Batman movie or the Joker origin film for either one of them.
Films in their contracts doesn't mean anything. Reynolds probably had a 3 picture deal with Green Lantern... it doesn't mean they HAVE to put him in anything, it just means they can force him to if they want to.
Old 03-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #17
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I still have serious doubts this movie will come to be. But if it does, the buddy cop concept is awesome. I love that idea.
Old 03-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #18
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
FAKE news. All fake.

Films in their contracts doesn't mean anything. Reynolds probably had a 3 picture deal with Green Lantern... it doesn't mean they HAVE to put him in anything, it just means they can force him to if they want to.
Why would they discuss replacing Joker and NOT Batman? That wouldn't make much sense now would it?

I'd make Hal early to mid 30's, John mid to late 20's. If the GLC film becomes a trilogy, if they add more Earth Lanterns somewhere especially, I'd legit have Hal getting the gray streaks and it not be tied to Parallax... or maybe go into Parallax if they wanna make him the big bad for phase 2 or whatever you'd call it.

~//V\\~
Old 03-10-2018, 03:52 PM   #19
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

The Cruise gossip seems more like buzz to create interest around the movie. I suppose the main thing to take away from this is that the movie isn't dead but instead making small steps forward.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:16 PM   #20
Mister.Weirdo
Guardian of the Universe

This isn't happening, and while Cruise looks good for his age, he's way too old to play Hal, or at least the age I want Hal to be. I don't like the seasoned veteran Hal right now.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:24 PM   #21
Michael Heide
Heide Finition

This once again shows DC's lowest-hanging-fruit casting mentality. The lead from Top Gun as Hal Jordan.
Michael Heide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #22
EmeraldGladiator
Manhunter Repairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ωmega Man View Post
12+ years ago maybe, but now? No.... so much no. WB's answer to making a movie work is to hire a big name actor. Did Ben Afleck save Batman? No he did not. Will Jason Mamoa save Aquaman... probably not.

Chris Pine was offered GL and when he saw the script for WW he knew which role to take. There went the perfect Hal right there...

~//V\\~
Question, in the mess of a DCmovieverse, could Hal be a descendant of Steve Trevor? Would create a strange tension between Hal and Diana. Heck if Steve Rodgers can date two generations of Agent Carters why can't Diana do Hal and an ancestor? Even if you are virtually immortal you still have a type. So Pine as Hal isn't off the board.
EmeraldGladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:07 AM   #23
Star-Lantern
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldGladiator View Post
Question, in the mess of a DCmovieverse, could Hal be a descendant of Steve Trevor? Would create a strange tension between Hal and Diana. Heck if Steve Rodgers can date two generations of Agent Carters why can't Diana do Hal and an ancestor? Even if you are virtually immortal you still have a type. So Pine as Hal isn't off the board.
That's... really stretching things to accommodate wishful thinking. I think if Chris Pine wanted to play Hal Jordan and was offered it, he'd just take the role instead of Steve Trevor. If he didn't take the role, I don't think he will, and I don't think there would be any connection to Steve Trevor and Hal Jordan to even warrant something like that. Also, I highly doubt there will be a romance between Wonder Woman and Hal Jordan in the movies, if that's what you're suggesting as a possibility. If she were to get with some super hero, I imagine it would be either Batman or Superman (most likely Batman, since Superman already has a love interest), based on history... and her rather high status in the DC pantheon. In other words, it's a funny thought, but they seem to be the only two superheroes worthy of her, based on the people who have done major projects with these characters. Wonder Woman and Green Lantern just doesn't carry the same weight as Wonder Woman and Batman or Superman.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 05-17-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:24 PM   #24
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star-Lantern View Post
... If she were to get with some super hero, I imagine it would be either Batman or Superman (most likely Batman, since Superman already has a love interest), based on history... and her rather high status in the DC pantheon. . .
Are you saying Diana would be "slumming it" if she knocked boots with Hal?
Old 05-18-2018, 02:33 AM   #25
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Diana should consider herself LUCKY to be a notch on Hal Jordan's bedpost!