The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > The Green Lantern
FLASHCHAT

View Poll Results: Rate "The Green Lantern" #3
* 0 0%
** 0 0%
*** 3 60.00%
**** 2 40.00%
***** 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2019, 11:41 PM   #1
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Default The Green Lantern #3 *Preview/Spoilers*

The Green Lantern #3 Preview
Writer: Grant Morrison
Artist: Liam Sharp

Old 01-09-2019, 01:43 AM   #2
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Deadline has an additional page.
Old 01-09-2019, 03:08 AM   #3
IonFan
Forum Member

omg the so called "art" in this book makes me want to

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k all the "Haters" 3 years in and i still support our dear leader, one Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:12 AM   #4
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Issue out. Poll up. Review here.
Old 01-09-2019, 02:24 PM   #5
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Oh boy, that ending is going to be controversial.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
Mister Ed
Horse of a Different Color

Yeah. That seems like a pretty big departure from established characterization (assuming no outside influence is involved).
Old 01-09-2019, 09:56 PM   #7
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Well we know Hal joins the Blackstars in a few issues thanks to the solicits, so I'm assuming Volgar Zo isn't actually dead and Hal did it so he could credibly be kicked out of the corps in order to join the Blackstars.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:56 PM   #8
Space Cop
The Dandy

I love that the one bad guy was caught coming out of the bathroom. That's some real-world stuff right there (that's probably how my life of crime would end if I ever tried it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
Oh boy, that ending is going to be controversial.
I read this comment before I read the issue and thought for sure that it was going to be in reference to the god stuff, but Morrison pretty quickly did a Star Trek-type side step on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Yeah. That seems like a pretty big departure from established characterization (assuming no outside influence is involved).
Quote:
Well we know Hal joins the Blackstars in a few issues thanks to the solicits, so I'm assuming Volgar Zo isn't actually dead and Hal did it so he could credibly be kicked out of the corps in order to join the Blackstars.
It's gotta be something like that. It's a cliffhanger, so it's supposed to be something to bother the reader, not just a new anti-hero style (in which case you'd expect it within the story, not as the big reveal).

Last edited by Space Cop; 01-10-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Space Cop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:11 PM   #9
Mister Ed

One the one hand, I DO hope that's what this is, since otherwise it seems like a major misstep in Hal's characterization. On the other hand, that seems like a somewhat disappointingly uninspired plot twist. The last time Hal pretended to be bad in service of the GLC wasn't even that long ago, was it? (And Guy did it even more recently to infiltrate the Darkstars briefly for information, right?)
Old 01-10-2019, 05:57 PM   #10
jhpace1
Corpse Trainee

Grant Morrison has jumped the shark with GL.

The whole Earth? Up on auction for the universe's baddies? The JLA out of commission, so it's up to the GLC? This is so wrong on so many levels. Any other world would have sufficed - Thangagar, Rann (yes, yes, I know they've changed these worlds multiple times), New Koragar, even a captured Mogo. A "captured Earth" would be a summer blockbuster event, not a GL-only title.

And Hal joining the Blackstars? Haven't we done this about 99x too often? Guy with the Darkstars V.2.0 (instead of John Stewart), Kyle with the Black Hole Gang, Guy Gardner going to the Red Lanterns, again and again across GL.

It sounds like GL is turning into a "sleeper" for 2019.
jhpace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 06:28 PM   #11
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhpace1 View Post
A "captured Earth" would be a summer blockbuster event, not a GL-only title.
That was kind of his pitch from the very beginning though, that the GLC deals with these "blockbuster events" so often that to Hal it's just another Wednesday.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:15 PM   #12
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I thought that from now on there wouldn't be such enormous stakes in every story, because that stuff had gotten worn out.

What happened to that?
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:29 PM   #13
Mister Ed

Maybe what he really meant is that, no matter how high the stakes, it wouldn't be handled like it was some epic event? I dunno. There do seem to be some conflicting impressions coming from the various interviews about this series, and the solicits we've seen.
Old 01-10-2019, 09:54 PM   #14
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

I said a while back that it seemed to me someone higher up had called Morrison into his office and "talked some sense into him." In other words, someone ordered him to keep doing the same old shit they were doing before he arrived, but added as a consolation prize that he could put his own spin on it. Now it looks even more that way to me.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:12 PM   #15
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
That was kind of his pitch from the very beginning though, that the GLC deals with these "blockbuster events" so often that to Hal it's just another Wednesday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
Maybe what he really meant is that, no matter how high the stakes, it wouldn't be handled like it was some epic event? I dunno. There do seem to be some conflicting impressions coming from the various interviews about this series, and the solicits we've seen.
Yeah, I kind of get that impression. It's not that he wouldn't do a story so big that all of Earth is sold on auction, but it's that he would do that story in a single issue with no crossovers or six months of buildup. It actually does feel like a silver age kind of thing. In the 60s, it often seemed the case that Superman, GL, or Flash would deal with something so big you'd wonder why the rest of the league wasn't there.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:21 PM   #16
Hypo
Lil' Leaguer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
Yeah, I kind of get that impression. It's not that he wouldn't do a story so big that all of Earth is sold on auction, but it's that he would do that story in a single issue with no crossovers or six months of buildup. It actually does feel like a silver age kind of thing. In the 60s, it often seemed the case that Superman, GL, or Flash would deal with something so big you'd wonder why the rest of the league wasn't there.
Agreed, if you look at that "pitch document" that they published in DC Nation this past issue still fits the bill:

The Earth being stolen is a big deal but the book kind of treats it as just a normal day at the office. Go in, get the bad guys, get out.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:32 PM   #17
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I just read issue #3 this morning and MAN, what a good time! I really enjoyed this issue. The auction that turns into a sting/bust? How great is that? Hal and the GLs were actually acting like COPS!! THIS is the title I wanted all along. Even some things I didn't know I needed in my Green Lantern comics until now.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:38 PM   #18
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Also to me it was almost comical that this huge event is treated like just another day on the beat. The cops ended it in a matter of pages with a wink and a smile. Previously this would have been 6 trades across 7 titles and taken up an entire year. I'm digging this cop procedural vibe.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:22 AM   #19
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

The GLC was in army mode for a long time so the cop procedural is a breath of fresh air, but I still prefer that they operate more as cosmic humanitarians/saviors. Either way, this is fun so far but I hope Morrison leaves some room for Hal to have something of a life.
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 02:55 AM   #20
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane2814 View Post
The GLC was in army mode for a long time so the cop procedural is a breath of fresh air, but I still prefer that they operate more as cosmic humanitarians/saviors. Either way, this is fun so far but I hope Morrison leaves some room for Hal to have something of a life.
I definitely like Morrison's approach and it's totally legit, but the only downside to being this procedural is that it take away from the idea of the GLC (because of the GotU) being above local laws. In Morrison's story, their rules of engagement are different on every planet. That takes away from the fun of a GL just bursting in and taking charge. But again, I get it. It's just not the kind of GL I'd want to be.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:23 AM   #21
W.West

Send a message via AIM to W.West Send a message via Yahoo to W.West Send a message via Skype™ to W.West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
I definitely like Morrison's approach and it's totally legit, but the only downside to being this procedural is that it take away from the idea of the GLC (because of the GotU) being above local laws. In Morrison's story, their rules of engagement are different on every planet. That takes away from the fun of a GL just bursting in and taking charge. But again, I get it. It's just not the kind of GL I'd want to be.
I'd prefer it that way. I think Seeley's approach on Green Lanterns was very similar, and to a much lesser degree Venditti's Zod story had that. Be political when you react, because these places have consequences after you leave or "bust up a joint" lol
Old 01-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #22
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

The GLC should be a law enforcement organization. That means it has to be limited to enforcing laws within jurisdictions. The Lanterns can stop interstellar aggression or the annihilation of intelligent species, but they can't barge into a planet or a nation and set things up the way they want them to be.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:37 PM   #23
Kane2814
Weaponer of Qward

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhpace1 View Post
... A "captured Earth" would be a summer blockbuster event, not a GL-only title.
Wasn't the entire earth just sucked into the phantom zone in a Superman title recently? And that was just another day at the office for him too.
Kane2814 is offline   Reply With Quote