No announcement yet.

Kyle returns to his "classic self" in Hal Jordan & the GLC #17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked Kyle as the WL and that phase of his character development lasted much longer than I thought it would. Yet returning to the GLC was a foregone conclusion. This issue did it in a way that reminded readers that while Kyle is returning to his green visuals, his personality makes him unique. I actually got a little misty-eyed when Ganthet said, "Yes. You will most certainly do."
    Check out my Green Lantern product reviews on Twitter as the Emerald Enthusiast! @EmeraldEnthusi1

Comment

Originally posted by gambello View Post
      So, after reading this, I'm guessing our blue Watchman remember prevented the "resurrection"? And where are the Templar Guardians?
      I think they were either trying to resurrect the entire group of Guardians, or the entire group of Blue Lanterns.

The Templar Guardians, much like every DC plot that hits the brick wall when sales start to drop, have disappeared.

Comment

I voted yes, because I want to see Kyle back with the green ring and green uniform, again. It has been far too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Trey Strain View Post
          I've never been a fan of the crab mask. I was one of those guys who called him Crab Boy on the old DC message board, and ridiculed them into changing it. But certainly the right role for him is as a GL.
          Pretty sure the mask was changed because so many artists just couldn't draw the damn thing. And because his Jim Lee suit had more details elsewhere, so the mask didn't need as many.

I'm sure I don't have all the facts though and you along with a handful of HEAT members actually made the change happen LOL

~//V\\~

Comment

DC probably stole the idea to change Kyle's costume from Trey's fanfiction.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Daddy Dave Targaryen I View Post
              DC probably stole the idea to change Kyle's costume from Trey's fanfiction.
              As soon as people called him Crab Boy on the DCU boards, they changed it. And I was one of those people. I didn't come up with that name. I wish I had though, because it was great.

Yes, they read that stuff. Who thinks they don't? If you worked for a comics company, you'd read the message boards. You'd read them all the damned time.

Why do you think DC did Rebirth? It was because of people bitching on the message board about bad changes they made in the New 52. How would DC know about the unhappiness otherwise?

Why do you think Geoff Johns secretly joined HEAT long before he started writing Green Lantern? It was because he read HEAT's posts on the message boards. Back then most people would have shit a brick if they had known he was a member. The conventional wisdom was that HEAT was a basket of deplorables, but his story bringing back Hal and the Corps was exactly what HEAT wanted. About the only thing that Geoff came up with was that Hal's mind had been possessed during Emerald Twilight. The rest of it was "fan fiction."

One of the problems with Green Lantern now is that the people who are in charge of it are so recent that their knowledge of it doesn't back to the pre-Johns era. They saw drawings of Kyle's original costume and liked it, but were unaware of the ridicule it drew.

What they never did back then though was drop the emotional spectrum when people started calling it the Skittles Corps. It would have been better if they had, wouldn't it? I wish I had thought of that name too. It was great.

Anyway I've never said they've taken anything from any stories I've written. (Which of course you haven't read, and therefore dismiss with a hand wave.) Why would they do that? Of course they haven't.
              Trey Strain
              Guardian of the Universe
              Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-31-2017, 06:13 PM.

Comment

99% of your posts are DC stole your ideas, DC should hire you, and let's get rid of the defining characteristic of a super hero who's been around for 77 years

Comment

Originally posted by Booster Beetle View Post
                  99% of your posts are DC stole your ideas, DC should hire you, and let's get rid of the defining characteristic of a super hero who's been around for 77 years
                  Now that's just screwy. I have never said that DC has "stolen" any of my ideas, let alone are "99 percent of my posts" about that.

I've posted on CBR that they should do a few things, and in short order they've done them. Pretty radical changes, too. Good for them! If I didn't want them to do those things, why would I have said they should do them? Why would I complain that they've done what I've said they should do? I'm happy about that, not unhappy. Get those wheels turning, please.

And yes, the ring constructs blow chunks. I know you're angry that I've said that, but hey. Keeping them will not sell the product, because they're not selling the product now. So how are they going to start selling it? Are readers going to finally wise up to how cool they are? How so?

Anything that's happening now should be subject to flushing, including the ring constructs. Only Baz and Cruz outrank them in suckiness.

Oh, and I don't need for DC or anyone else to hire me. I'm doing fine.
                  Trey Strain
                  Guardian of the Universe
                  Last edited by Trey Strain; 03-31-2017, 09:22 PM.

Comment

DC has so many Green Lantern concepts that started off as awesome, then fell short.

- Kyle Rayner as the last GL (who tried twice to re-start the Corps and failed)

- The Guardians of the Universe NOT as standoffish do-nothings (first Kyle brings back the other Guardians after Ganthet is the last one, then the 50+ become just 9 again; and the entire Last Army/Kill the Alpha Lanterns thread)

- The Emotional Spectrum (until everybody began wearing each other's rings; 5 Years Later Guy Gardner was the final straw of that concept)

- Brightest Day and the White Lantern (until Deadman really messed things up as the White Lantern)

- Hal Jordan as the greatest GL ever (until Krona's Gauntlet made him bigger than Ion)

- Each Corps of Light having their own society, goals, and conflicts (until Relic destroyed them all, leaving only a handful of Lanterns)

- Guy Gardner, leader of the Red Lanterns (until the mullet and mutton-chops made him look like an FBI Top Ten Wanted poster)

- Supergirl, Red Lantern (until she had to go back to the "S" Family on Earth)

- Kyle Rayner, White Lantern (with Carol Ferris as his girlfriend? What, Soranik Natu was unavailable? Jade (Jennifer-Lynn Hayden-Scott) never came back after 52New? How about Kyle resurrecting a certain girlfriend from the fridge as the White Lantern?)

- Hybrid Lanterns (that disappeared quickly after War of the Lanterns was done. What about Guy Gardner, even as the "Christmas Lantern"?)

- John Stewart and Fatality (just force the Star Sapphire ring back on her, John!)

- Resurrected Oa (until it blew up again. And again. Oh wait, Mogo has the CPB)

- The entire "the GLC got sent to the previous universe" story (which had John Steward seeing Hal Jordan as the initiator INSTEAD OF Parallax, who would have been perfect, and was available to use, even, from the Convergence series); and how Mogo was able to "override" all the Power Staffs and Power Rings at the last minute

Etc, etc, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jhpace1 View Post
                      DC has so many Green Lantern concepts that started off as awesome, then fell short.

- Kyle Rayner as the last GL (who tried twice to re-start the Corps and failed)

- The Guardians of the Universe NOT as standoffish do-nothings (first Kyle brings back the other Guardians after Ganthet is the last one, then the 50+ become just 9 again; and the entire Last Army/Kill the Alpha Lanterns thread)

- The Emotional Spectrum (until everybody began wearing each other's rings; 5 Years Later Guy Gardner was the final straw of that concept)

- Brightest Day and the White Lantern (until Deadman really messed things up as the White Lantern)

- Hal Jordan as the greatest GL ever (until Krona's Gauntlet made him bigger than Ion)

- Each Corps of Light having their own society, goals, and conflicts (until Relic destroyed them all, leaving only a handful of Lanterns)

- Guy Gardner, leader of the Red Lanterns (until the mullet and mutton-chops made him look like an FBI Top Ten Wanted poster)

- Supergirl, Red Lantern (until she had to go back to the "S" Family on Earth)

- Kyle Rayner, White Lantern (with Carol Ferris as his girlfriend? What, Soranik Natu was unavailable? Jade (Jennifer-Lynn Hayden-Scott) never came back after 52New? How about Kyle resurrecting a certain girlfriend from the fridge as the White Lantern?)

- Hybrid Lanterns (that disappeared quickly after War of the Lanterns was done. What about Guy Gardner, even as the "Christmas Lantern"?)

- John Stewart and Fatality (just force the Star Sapphire ring back on her, John!)

- Resurrected Oa (until it blew up again. And again. Oh wait, Mogo has the CPB)

- The entire "the GLC got sent to the previous universe" story (which had John Steward seeing Hal Jordan as the initiator INSTEAD OF Parallax, who would have been perfect, and was available to use, even, from the Convergence series); and how Mogo was able to "override" all the Power Staffs and Power Rings at the last minute

Etc, etc, etc.
                      None of that should have ever happened. Not one bit of it.

Stop adding stuff to it and start taking stuff away, DC. Add back the Guardians and Oa though.
                      Trey Strain
                      Guardian of the Universe
                      Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-01-2017, 10:06 AM.

Comment

There should be a Council of around 6-9 members of the GLC to make big decisions similar to the Guardians. Saying John alone is the leader is just as bad as saying Hal is the sole leader of the GLC.

~//V\\~

Comment

Mr -//V\\-. let me remind you again that I've got you on ignore.
                          Trey Strain
                          Guardian of the Universe
                          Last edited by Trey Strain; 04-02-2017, 05:07 AM.

Comment

I'm fine with him coming back if it means no White Lanterns for a while. I'd like them to just focus on the Green Lanterns for a while, introduce some nice galaxy wide threats for them to tango with, get away from the emotional spectrum stuff.
                            http://cropsycrypt.blogspot.com/

Comment

So Geoff Johns is going to write Titans. Why do I get a feeling that Kyle will join the team?

Comment

If that happens, it will be a very good first step toward fixing the property.

But will Geoff realize that his own projects of introducing an emotional spectrum, making Baz and Cruz Green Lanterns, and flushing the Guardians and Oa need to be discarded too?

Comment

Working...
                                X