The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern: New Guardians/Kyle Rayner
FLASHCHAT

Kyle Rayner
View Poll Results: Should Kyle have his own book again?
Yes 9 60.00%
No 4 26.67%
Not sure 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-01-2015, 02:46 PM   #1
Lantern of Gallifrey
Weaponer of Qward

Default Kyle needs his own book again.

I think Kyle needs his own book again. I don't know what the premise would be but I think he deserves it.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #2
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

There should be a hell yes Kyle is infinitely better than Hal choice

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:38 AM   #4
IonFan
Forum Member

so long as he's still the most powerful _____ Lantern of them all then i'm down for yet another go, otherwise don't even bother

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k the "Deep-State" and screw all the fake news, one year in and I still support our President one
Donald J. Trump
IonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:57 AM   #5
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
so long as he's still the most powerful _____ Lantern of them all then i'm down for yet another go, otherwise don't even bother
Don't bother otherwise?
Old 08-02-2015, 03:14 AM   #6
IonFan
Forum Member

i don't get it, what did i do wrong now

IonFan says

Quote:
F**k the "Deep-State" and screw all the fake news, one year in and I still support our President one
Donald J. Trump
Old 08-02-2015, 01:11 PM   #7
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

No Lantern needs to be anointed as the "most powerful" or the "most special." They need to be put into some interesting stories.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 01:22 PM   #8
IonFan
Forum Member

* i think this sums up my reply quite nicely *

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

IonFan says

Quote:
Donald J. Trump
Old 08-02-2015, 01:24 PM   #9
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by IonFan View Post
* i think this sums up my reply quite nicely *

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

You're right. Kyle should be proclaimed the most powerful and the most special. And fuck the actual stories that he appears in. That would work.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 08-02-2015 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:32 PM   #10
IonFan
Forum Member

it always worked for me

IonFan says

Quote:
Donald J. Trump
Old 08-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #11
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Worked so well he's been stuck in terrible stories!

A real Kyle fan should want Kyle to be in the best book possible, whether he is uber powerful, or a barely functioning power ring. He could be in a series where he's trapped on Earth, living in NYC and his ring is of limited power. He decides to use his ring to help people even though it goes out on him at the worst times.

It could be the best written thing ever and you wouldn't like it because Kyle wasn't more powerful than the other human lanterns? What kind of fan does that make you?!?
Old 08-02-2015, 02:29 PM   #12
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

I don't want Hal to be the most powerful, that puts him in a dangerous position of being trapped in shitty stories (even though this is DC so it's going to happen anyway). Look at the O'Neil/Adams GL/GA era. Hal was depowered as a punishment, and that run is considered one of the best GL runs of all time.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #13
Booster Beetle
Will break before he bends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
He could be in a series where he's trapped on Earth, living in NYC and his ring is of limited power. He decides to use his ring to help people even though it goes out on him at the worst times.
I want this

Booster Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 02:38 PM   #14
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

At this point, there isn't real continuity between the books. Hal is on the run in space in his own book, but in the League on Earth in 2 JLA titles. Just put Kyle in NYC for his own book and have him considered dead in the other GL titles. DC doesn't edit for continuity anymore so why not give people what they want?
Old 08-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #15
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Just make him a Green Lantern on Earth, which is where he works best. And keep him out of Coast City because there's already a GL there. But none of that Nineties "Friends," New York and Gen X shit.

You're going to have to reboot the whole thing to get rid of Emerald Twilight. All four Lanterns should get their rings at the same time. No crashed spaceship for Abin Sur though because that made no sense anyway. He's just mortally wounded. Hal and Kyle get Earth duty, and Guy and John get space duty. The Central Power Battery decides that stuff. No set number of Lanterns or space sectors. Then do what Emerald Dawn 2 did and have Sinestro weasel his way in as their alleged benefactor and trainer, but with bad intentions.

All problems solved. PM me and I'll do it for you, DC.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 08-02-2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #16
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Also if they all get their rings at the same time, nobody is "greater" and nobody is a backup.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:59 PM   #17
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
...A real Kyle fan should want Kyle to be in the best book possible, whether he is uber powerful, or a barely functioning power ring. . .
So, by that reasoning, he could be in a book with say the Omega Men and be caught up in their war as a rogue white lantern?
Old 08-02-2015, 09:08 PM   #18
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cop View Post
So, by that reasoning, he could be in a book with say the Omega Men and be caught up in their war as a rogue white lantern?
Well...when I say a barely functioning ring, I mean a Green Lantern ring of course. I have a hard time picturing him as a cast member of an Omega Men book and it being good, I was thinking in terms of what kinds of solo books he could have.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:13 PM   #19
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Ion's rationale about Kyle being wicked kewl powerful above being in a good comic reminds me of Star Trek VI, and the bit with George Takei wanting to be the Captain of his own starship in the film. Shatner's point was all of the story was taking place on the bridge of the Enterprise, so why would he want to cut down on his screen time simply so he could say he was the captain of his own ship. Granted, it leaves out that Takei hated Shatner and didn't want to be in the same room with him let alone film scenes with him, but the excuse they gave itself always made me chuckle.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:55 PM   #20
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Kyle should tap into some green energy after this thing with the Omega Men even if it's Starheart energy... and become a limited GL and help Hal save the GLC. After that, yeah he could move back to Earth for awhile...

~KL~
Old 08-02-2015, 11:27 PM   #21
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Kyle doesn't need to be a White Lantern, a Starheart Lantern, a weak-assed Lantern or anything of the sort. EVERY TIME someone has tried to make a Green Lantern into something else, the idea had flopped. It's been tried MANY, MANY TIMES, and it's flopped EVERY DAMNED TIME.

Learn from the mistakes of the past instead of insisting on endlessly repeating them. Just reboot Green Lantern and make all four of the stars into equal Green Lanterns from the get-go. Let their PERSONALITIES be what differentiates them. It's as simple as that, and it'll work.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 08-02-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:38 PM   #22
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn Lantern View Post
Kyle doesn't need to be a White Lantern, a Starheart Lantern, a weak-assed Lantern or anything of the sort. EVERY TIME someone has tried to make a Green Lantern into something else, the idea had flopped. It's been tried MANY, MANY TIMES, and it's flopped EVERY DAMNED TIME.

Learn from the mistakes of the past instead of insisting on endlessly repeating them.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:02 AM   #23
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
I couldn't agree more.
I think what causes it is that people love to "get creative" instead of looking at what a long track record shows very clearly to work and not work.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:08 AM   #24
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

And the reason Kyle should have a title is that he's shown he can carry one as a Green Lantern. You need to put him in something that's worth a damn though.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:51 AM   #25
Star-Lantern
Hal's Understudy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
Kyle should tap into some green energy after this thing with the Omega Men even if it's Starheart energy... and become a limited GL and help Hal save the GLC. After that, yeah he could move back to Earth for awhile...

~KL~
I think the GLC should save itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn Lantern View Post
I think what causes it is that people love to "get creative" instead of looking at what a long track record shows very clearly to work and not work.
What likely causes it is that the title of "Green Lantern" gets overcrowded, and some of the writers and editors look for things for some of the other characters to do so they can still use them without them being Green Lanterns.

I also don't think space sectors should be done away with. If anything, there aren't enough space sectors and the universe seems too small. If I were to reboot Green Lantern, I'd way up the number of sectors and Lanterns. As powerful as Lanterns are, there really aren't enough of them to effectively protect something as vast as the universe.

As for Kyle Rayner getting his own title... uhm. Well, I'm not terribly invested, so I would like to preface my opinion with that. I do know that it probably isn't wise for there to be a whole lot of Green Lantern titles. Some of them would likely wind up as low sellers because interest in the property only goes so far right now. I wouldn't expect a Kyle Rayner book now to wind up selling more than what New Guardians was about four months ago, which was pretty darn low. That could change depending on certain factors, like creative team, and maybe even quality of the book, but I think it's safest to bet that a new title with Rayner would end up where New Guardians was.

As for what I'd do with him, I'm not sure. The character is in a weird place right now. A lot of the characters he was most associated with in his heyday either don't exist in current continuity or are way different, so I think it would be hard to hit the nostalgia buttons with his fans. Someone has already done the space adventures with him and Carol Ferris, and I'm not sure if regressing him back to what he was in the '90s would be for the best, either. I'd really have to brainstorm with him.

Last edited by Star-Lantern; 08-03-2015 at 12:54 AM.
Star-Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote