The Green Lantern Corps Message Board

Go Back   The Green Lantern Corps Message Board > Green Lanternverse > Green Lantern: New Guardians/Kyle Rayner
FLASHCHAT

Kyle Rayner
View Poll Results: Should Kyle have his own book again?
Yes 9 60.00%
No 4 26.67%
Not sure 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2015, 04:52 AM   #51
Big Daddy Dave Skywalker
Moisture Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn Lantern View Post
I'll say flatly that back in the day, well over that half of Kyle's fans were asswipes. Almost nothing that those people said was true. That's just how it was.

The "Kyle needs to be special" thing came from defensiveness about how he got his power ring. And it continues now, although most people today are unaware of its origin.

And yes, there are too many Earth Lanterns, but the one too many is Simon Baz.
I remember those days on the DCMB. You and I are some of the only guys here that used to post in those days. To be fair, I don't think most of those Kyle fans of that era are even around buying comics anymore. Those readers came and went the way most fads end up, exactly like all of those fans of the spectrum did a few years ago. Casual fans come and go. I think the Kyle fans that are still around are the real fans and not an unreasonable bunch.

IMO, I think you're remembering how bad things were, without considering that most of those people who WERE a pain in the ass are long gone.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:30 AM   #52
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Dave Skywalker View Post
I remember those days on the DCMB. You and I are some of the only guys here that used to post in those days. To be fair, I don't think most of those Kyle fans of that era are even around buying comics anymore. Those readers came and went the way most fads end up, exactly like all of those fans of the spectrum did a few years ago. Casual fans come and go. I think the Kyle fans that are still around are the real fans and not an unreasonable bunch.

IMO, I think you're remembering how bad things were, without considering that most of those people who WERE a pain in the ass are long gone.
That's true. Just as most of the people who choked their chickens over the emotional spectrum are gone. But some of their attitudes live on, espoused by people who don't know their origin. "Kyle is a hothouse plant who must be protected by specialness" is one of them.
Trey Strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #53
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I'm still here and I posted on the old DCMB's. There were just as many Hal trolls as there were anything. Kyle fans were probably asswipes cause all of these old people DEMANDED Hal be brought back and Kyle be done away with. Before HEAT, I didn't know old people knew how to get connected and ban together on the internet LMAO.

The one good thing to come from the old DCMB's? I got the opportunity to chat with one of my favorite artists of the last three decades Dale Eaglesham, and even his wife who used the s/n Wolfgangsta or something like that. And the Blissfull Dancing Fat Kid thread from that one gay birthday party issue with Kyle and Terry Berg.

I wonder if Silver Age comic fans ever disrespected the golden age fans?

"Buncha damn kids, runnin' around tryin' to bum nickles and dimes for comic books... by the time I was 8 I had facial hair and a job!"

~KL~
Old 08-05-2015, 11:52 AM   #54
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
I'm still here and I posted on the old DCMB's. There were just as many Hal trolls as there were anything. Kyle fans were probably asswipes cause all of these old people DEMANDED Hal be brought back and Kyle be done away with. Before HEAT, I didn't know old people knew how to get connected and ban together on the internet LMAO.

The one good thing to come from the old DCMB's? I got the opportunity to chat with one of my favorite artists of the last three decades Dale Eaglesham, and even his wife who used the s/n Wolfgangsta or something like that. And the Blissfull Dancing Fat Kid thread from that one gay birthday party issue with Kyle and Terry Berg.

I wonder if Silver Age comic fans ever disrespected the golden age fans?

"Buncha damn kids, runnin' around tryin' to bum nickles and dimes for comic books... by the time I was 8 I had facial hair and a job!"

~KL~
Wow. You sound an awful lot like an unreconstructed, old school Kyle fan there. That's time warp stuff, and I don't mean that in a good way.

HEAT wasn't made up of "old people." That taunt was REALLY obnoxious and untrue. And you're not in middle school any more taunting people in high school about being old, so at some point, maybe in another 10 years, you'll finally have to take another tack. "I'm young and you're not" has a built-in expiration date, believe it or not. I'm amazed that anyone is still saying that in 2015. The fact that you call yourself a "Kid" and identify yourself with "kids" in that post is more revealing than you think it is.

HEAT didn't know how to use the Internet to connect because the members were old? Wow. Just wow.

HEAT's mission statement said that it wanted Kyle to remain a GL. So there's another thing you said that wasn't true. The whole conflict was that most of Kyle's fans didn't want Hal and the Corps back.

And I don't think you were really LYFAO when you typed that stuff.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 08-05-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:21 PM   #55
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Kyle should go back to Earth, and have it turn out to be a pre Flashpoint Earth that is his old home when he lived in NYC. He decides to stay there because that world needs his help and the Corps never returned there. Kyle could rebuild his old life, reconnect with old fan favorite supporting characters, and meet some new ones along the way.

When he decides to stay, he has the chance to tell the Corps he's not going to go home with them because he has a chance to stay and make a difference. Then his book and the GLC titles run separately for a few years.
Kyle doesn't need his own pocket universe, just some time away from the rest of the Corps.

When thinking about the different generations of fans, I think Marvel does a lot better job at trying to cater to everyone. Every few years an Invaders book comes around, or a handful of forgotten characters are reintroduced, concepts getting new life injected into them, etc. DC? They just keep trying to push the same old same old shit once they find something that sells. Blue Beetle right around the time of Infinite Crisis was interesting. The scarab was now armor and the stuff with the Reach... it all had potential. It was canned after like 18 issues. New52 brought back the exact same series pretty much, just without a connection to Infinite Crisis and Ted Kord getting shot in the head. And it was canned.

If Kyle returns he should have some disconnection from the GLC, but not the rest of the DCU. Especially for him to work living back on Earth you'd need to try and salvage anything left of his existence. Team-ups with Connor Hawke are out the window, but Roy's still around as Arsenal. I'd give just as much $ to see that right now as I would an actual GL/GA adventure in the New52 or DCYou or whatever its being called now.

~KL~
Old 08-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #56
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Oh, and that you want Kyle to be younger than you are is of a piece with all that. Mr. Kid.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:33 PM   #57
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Wow. You sound an awful lot like an unreconstructed, old school Kyle fan there. That's time warp stuff, and I don't mean that in a good way.

HEAT wasn't made up of "old people." That taunt was REALLY obnoxious and untrue. And you're not in middle school any more taunting people in high school about being old, so at some point, maybe in another 10 years, you'll finally have to take another tack. "I'm young and you're not" has a built-in expiration date, believe it or not. I'm amazed that anyone is still saying that in 2015. The fact that you call yourself a "Kid" and identify yourself with "kids" in that post is more revealing than you think it is.

HEAT didn't know how to use the Internet to connect because the members were old? Wow. Just wow.

HEAT's mission statement said that it wanted Kyle to remain a GL. So there's another thing you said that wasn't true. The whole conflict was that most of Kyle's fans didn't want Hal and the Corps back.

And I don't think you were really LYFAO when you typed that stuff.
I was speaking from the POV of my 12 year old self, it's why I used the past tense. And HEAT's original claim wasn't what it was in the later years and everybody knows that. In the beginning they called for Marz to be fired and all kinds of shit.

As far as identifying myself with kids, or as a Kid with my s/n, I've used this alias since the days of the DCMB and it's why I kept it. I recently posted in the Name Change Request Thread to just go by my first initial M, but the old man [who identifies himself as Big Daddy, obviously an older gentleman with a hidden agenda, the nerve!], doesn't have his glasses on or just glossed over the one or two name change requests in the name change request thread.

I was laughing my ass off as I typed that. Getting all kinds of nostalgic lately listening to 90's era music and everything. If you're gonna marginalize Kyle fans, John fans, call half of a fanbase asswipes, I think it's acceptable if I call somebody old. And I'm talking about HEAT as it was, not what it came to be.

~KL~
Old 08-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #58
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Oh, and that you want Kyle to be younger than you are is of a piece with all that. Mr. Kid.
I want Kyle to be younger than Hal and Guy, maybe John isn't much older than Kyle. He was introduced the last of the four, is it that out of the question? Just because I think the idea of "Four twenty something's, two from Cali and two from Detroit, come together to save the universe and fulfill the legacy of ONE Lantern..." is shit doesn't mean I think you're an asswipe. You're trying to make this personal and flame bait me, but I get to go to work and and be grown up for awhile.

You remind me an awful lot like somebody from the DCMB's who had horrible ideas, who was here for awhile, and quite possibly could've just changed your name. Really having some flashbacks now LOL

~KL~
Old 08-05-2015, 12:56 PM   #59
Space Cop
The Dandy

Quote:
I remember those days on the DCMB. You and I are some of the only guys here that used to post in those days...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid Lantern View Post
I'm still here and I posted on the old DCMB's. . .
I was on the DC boards (even had the same name), but I wasn't always regular and I missed the exodus when Moses (Andrew) led us to the promised land. Ed was on DCMb too (I have a print out of a conversation we had once about Kyle's replicating ring).
Old 08-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #60
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

HEAT didn't call for Marz to be fired. And HEAT's mission statement ALWAYS said Kyle should remain as a GL. And I remind you of someone? What? Are you losing it there? I've been posting here since 2008, and all of a sudden I remind you of someone?

Anyway, thank you for showing the newer posters what it was like back then. If I had just alleged it, they wouldn't have believed it.

Last edited by Trey Strain; 08-05-2015 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:25 PM   #61
Trey Strain
Guardian of the Universe

Here's something pretty funny that happened back then. Kyle's fans were clamoring for Ron Marz to be brought back to write Ion. Some of them were even calling him "the Master" on the DCMB. I didn't care because I wasn't going to read it, but some of the guys in HEAT joined in the chorus to bring back Marz because they said he'd screw it up for sure. You know, the old strategy of giving your opponent what he wants, to teach him a lesson.

I don't think the lesson took, but Ion did tank.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:33 PM   #62
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

Ion was turned from an ongoing to a maxi series to make way for the Sin Corps, it was never canceled because of low sales. And you still called half of Kyle's fans on a Kyle sub-forum ass-wipes, I don't think I made myself look bad in any way. You on the other hand.... HEAT originally stood for Hal's Emerald ATTACK Team, and there were plenty of people who demanded for Marz to get fired, and Dooley too for that matter. Just cause they didn't print those idiot's letters in the letter columns doesn't mean they never existed. I can think of at least two articles in Wizard Magazine that covered this story.

From an article about not feeding trolls found here, and written by Marz himself:

"I have something for you," he said, and started digging in his pocket while he kept a stack of comics clamped under his other arm. Uh-oh. When he pulled his hand out of his pocket, he was holding a laminated card. He handed it to me, and told me it was my membership card for H.E.A.T., which stood for Hal's Emerald Attack Team. It had an Alex Ross image of Hal Jordan on the front. On the back, there was a list of H.E.A.T.'s goals; prominent among those goals was getting me fired from the writing duties on "Green Lantern."

Alzheimer's disease seems to be on the rise in Americans apparently, cause you're remembering the 90's wrong as well as the time around Infinite Crisis...

EDIT: And for the record, this member of HEAT that Marz is talking about, in the 90's, was a man roughly in his 50's with white hair. Calling an old person or group of persons old isn't anywhere near as insulting as making fun of a guy's screen name or calling half of a fanbase asswipes. Also, you're exactly who I thought you were. SMH...

~KL~

Last edited by Ωmega Man; 08-05-2015 at 08:14 PM.
Ωmega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:14 AM   #63
Dr. Naysay
Guardian of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantern of Gallifrey View Post
I think Kyle needs his own book again. I don't know what the premise would be but I think he deserves it.
I don't know what's in the rest of this thread... I just want to dwell on the notion of a fictional character "deserving" something forever.
Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:16 AM   #64
Mechinoid
Hal's Understudy

I'm a Kyle fan that enjoyed the majority of the New Guardians book when it was out. Does Kyle need to be in his own book again? Hell No! How long ago was the last New Guardians issue? It wasn't really all that long ago. Also he's already in The Omega Men which is shaping up to be a really good series so far. Also I'll admit out of selfishness, I enjoy stories set in space more than I do stories based on Earth, so less I see of earth the more I'd likely enjoy the stories he's in.
Plus the New Guardian theme shifted a few times in the series, which I did enjoy each shift in the series, but maybe putting him in more of a background role will do him some good; it will continue to build the character in another setting, and will keep his character intact. It's not like he's been rebooted to a completely different character like Wally or Bart, it's still the same Kyle, and when his stunt with the omega men is over, maybe then someone will have a concrete place to place Kyle that can last more than 20 issues before moving to another sector.

On the offset; I personally wouldn't mind seeing more multiverse stories eventually though. Have him goto Earth, team up with Vibe, and have them buddy up and do a team book about high end multiverse battles, a superhero'd-up Fringe kind of thing.
Old 08-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #65
Ωmega Man
Guardian of the Universe

I liked the Challengers from Beyond angle as well a few years back, moreso than New Guardians. But we already have Multiversity Too that'll tell similar stories.

I think what I'm tired of seeing with Kyle is he's been regulated to supporting character in his own books and his character often takes a backseat to whatever gimmick/event DC is pushing. It's aggravating, because he doesn't have time for good development being in a team book like he used to. Challengers, GLC, New Guardians, the Omega Men... he's been in four teams since Ion ended. When's the character gonna get to stand on his own two feet again?

~KL~